Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

MrCodeDude posted:

I'm looking at the Alpine MRV-F300 4-Channel Car Amplifier, would this be a good purchase? In the specs, it says:
  • 75W RMS X 4 (2Ω, 14.4V, ≤1% THD+N)
  • 50W RMS X 4 (4Ω, 14.4V, ≤1% THD+N)

Both pairs of the Infinity speakers are 2-ohm, and while the 6x9's are 100W RMS, 75W is much better than the 18W provided by the head unit.

And with the purchase of this (or similar) amp, what kind of battery should I be looking at? Crutchfield used a 750W, 12V, 22Ah battery, but I'm thinking that might be excessively beefy for what I need.

Any recommendations/suggestions greatly appreciated!

I might be way off here but 75x4 = 300W at full volume, which at the quoted 14.4v is about 21A; at 12v nominal it's 25A. How loud do you want it and how long do you want it to run? With a single one of those batteries you'd get somewhat less than an hour at full volume but substantially more at less than full volume.

Edit: actually it's RC is 28 so you'd get less than half an hour at full volume, since RC is how many minutes at 25A before the battery hits 10.5v.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

You're going to be the one listening to your system, and a car is a noisy enough environment that going for perfectly flat is probably not the best goal. As mentioned, 3 bands isn't really enough to tune for flat response anyway. Just make it sound good to you.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

What do you mean going back to square one? Of course it's touching metal, there's a potmetal surround frame enclosing it.

Power travels through a circuit that completes positive and ground. The negative line you run back to the battery is ground, and the chassis of the stereo is connected to its internal ground. From there anything metal touching your radio chassis will share the ground, so unless you have some insulation all around the radio chassis you'll just connect the whole frame of the car to ground via your radio and whatever size wire goes from it to the negative battery terminal.

Edit: also yes, the antenna will share the ground between the radio and the car chassis. Basically your switch won't help because it won't be able to interrupt the circuit.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 9, 2016