Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Panty Saluter posted:

About 10 years ago Subaru Outbacks had another 3rd party audio system as an option. It was pretty drat impressive. All I can think of now is Levinson though, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't that. Anyone remember what it was?

McIntosh. Definitely McIntosh.

I just googled and found some comments that it was actually McIntosh-branded Clarion, which I believe but was a bit disappointed by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I just ordered a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GZM838C/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my $25 minivan. Super curious how it works.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Following up on this - Microphone sucks, i had to attach the antenna in a weird way to get reception to work (electrical tape ahoy!) - no complaints otherwise. Totally worth the $21.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I haven't tried the traffic stuff (reviews say it works tho), but I got this for my sister earlier this year and she loves it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3QC3JS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was $152 when I bought it

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GZM838C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had that in my van for a while and it's been shockingly totally fine. I'd honestly highly recommend it if the fucks-given level is low but you still want it to function.

And then this, and you're good to go
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KK2KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI, on you car you'll bolt the radio to the stock mounting bracket thing. You won't need a separate mounting bracket or the sleeve that comes pre-installed on the radio. Careful removing stuff, it's an easy job but it's kind of easy to break things.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 4, 2017

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Humbug posted:

Possibly, but probably not.

Counterpoint to this: I had a 2015 Focus SE, put 6.5" JL C2 components in front, coaxials in back, and it sounded bloody amazing with the sound system set to "Driver optimized". No other changes needed. Stock wasn't loud enough, this was slightly louder (but not quite loud enough). Some cars have brilliantly engineered sound systems that just need better speakers.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

falz posted:

This now seems to be out, $129, probably is what I'm going to grab (HD radio, media only, dual USB inputs). Hopefully kenwood's bluetooth stack doesn't suck balls.

I would strongly suggest anything other than Kenwood, their interfaces have infuriated me since the beginning of time.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

falz posted:

Is it just poorly thought out controls or bugs?

Poorly thought out doesn't even begin to cover it. I've touched probably at least one of every brand headunit over the years, and owned a fair number in my own cars, and Kenwood has been the only one that is properly 100% irritating.

I will say that I have given them more chances than I ever care to admit, my most recent one just last year and my first one in TYOOL 2000.

They have the features you want, they look great, sound quality is great, everything is great until you go to use the god damned things when it all falls apart.

Wasabi the J posted:

Blaupunkt Uber Alles

Kenwood is like Donald Trump. If you ignore history and just look at the positive parts of the spec sheet, it sounds like the winner. I'm in the Never Kenwood camp, and Blaupunkt isn't Kenwood therefore it is an acceptable option.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 13, 2017

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MikeyTsi posted:

Because mistakes were made, Pioneer, mistakes were made.

(There's no capability to delete pairing, unless you try to add another device when it's "full". Which is dumb).

On mine there is an option somewhere under system to reset bluetooth. I never had more than one phone connected but it always deleted the one that was.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MikeyTsi posted:

Good for you!

I was hoping it might have been a helpful comment to you, but that probably wasn't very clear. Please append "you might want to check around there, both of my recent Pioneer head units have had it there. It's buried, but it exists" to my original comment.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

How good are your speakers? Bluetooth is definitely lossy, but you need a pretty good audio system to be able to tell the difference - especially with MP3s.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Does anyone have a head unit recommendation that meets the following criteria?:

- Color matches a 1999 Grand Voyager's dashboard (or color changes)
- Has the ability to dim when you turn on the headlights
- Bluetooth
- No more than $100 (preferably $80 or under)
- Not Kenwood

I know what I'd want if I were buying from the JVC or Pioneer product lines, but I'm curious what else is out there that I might be overlooking.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

You can buy a $50 adapter that gives you android auto and CarPlay on one of those generic android head units. I will be trying one soon I hope, $80 for a HU with capacitive touchscreen and a volume knob is pretty cheap.

eBay and the China-direct (aliexpress and co) sites are the place to get them.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I just bought an android double din from eBay for $88. It has a capacitive screen and lets you do whatever the gently caress you want with no warnings. It’s awesome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7inch-Android-8-1-Double-2Din-Car-Stereo-Radio-GPS-Wifi-OBD-Mirror-Link-3G-4G-/264296163655?txnId=2435694169016

Hopefully that link works, came from my purchase history. There are tons of variations, all largely the same inside. Install a third party launcher and you’re in business. xda-developers has tons of chatter on android head units if you want to go down a nerd rabbit hole.

Oh, and also, you can spend $50ish more and get a dongle that allows you to use Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto.

Oh, and my head unit is super shallow - makes install a breeze.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I can't say I'm really a audiophile when it comes to car audio, but out of curiosity: How are Harman Kardon audio systems in cars regarded? Or is it wildly different from car to car?

The Harman Kardon system in my E46 sucks rear end with the stock speakers, but it has good electronics and sounds great with the kits that replace OEM speakers but keep everything else.

The Infinity (a Harman company) system in my Elantra is pretty drat good after a firmware update. Before the firmware update it sounded harsh. It certainly sounds good enough for me to not want to go through the effort of upgrading it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

So I just learned an annoying, but harmless lesson.

If you're putting an aftermarket stereo into a Subaru, you need to hook up the blue (power antenna) wire. Why? They use an antenna amplifier that gets its power from the power antenna wire. At least some models do. I left it disconnected, because I don't have a power antenna (just an in-window antenna), and planned to hook up a sub/amp later.

Thanks to Darchangel for telling me where I hosed up. Easy fix, just annoying having to pull the dash back apart to connect a wire.

ZJ's with the Infinity system are the same way...

I was so confused when I got sound out of the radio but nothing from any other source.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

Antenna amplifier, since it has a weird antenna embedded in a rear quarter window. Not a speaker amp. I got very weak radio reception on FM, analog only (I have an HD Radio capable stereo), and no AM. Every other source sounded fine. Now that the antenna amp is hooked up, I get crystal clear radio on AM, FM, and HD.

Sounds like your head unit had a power antenna wire, and you hooked it up to the factory amp instead? Mine doesn't have a dedicated power antenna wire, just a remote turn-on wire that gets shared with anything that needs to come on with the stereo.

Oh, yup. I didn't grok that's what you were talking about at first. The ZJ was the same way (one trigger), but the HU I had had two 12v trigger outputs, one for antenna and one for amp.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

Pioneer?

I haven't personally owned any aftermarket head units that had a separate amp and antenna power wire, except for Pioneer. And even then, my last Pioneer only had 1, despite being very middle of the line for their single DIN line. I jumped ship to Kenwood because I had a couple of very specific requirements that I could only find on Kenwood at the time (single DIN, have 2 phones paired AT THE SAME TIME for phone calls, HD radio, and aptx). aptX was more of a "really want" instead of an absolute, the 2 phone thing was an absolute absolute since I still worked in the gig economy at the time (and had a dedicated work phone).

Old Kenwood Excelon. Reminded me that fancy-screen decks are the ones that end up non-functional...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

Why would you want built in nav if it has Android Auto?

I used to think the same thing, but my car came with factory nav and I've gotten used to always having a map showing me where I am and what traffic is like (without using valuable data and/or slowing the charge rate of my phone). I wouldn't pay extra for it, but it's certainly nice to have.

My question: I have an MR2 with t-tops and want a CarPlay head unit that you can see in direct sunlight. Does anyone have experience with the anti-glare screen protectors that are sold and/or suggestions for a head unit that would work well in direct sunlight? I have other requirements but they are all trumped by needing to sort of work in direct sunlight.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I can't find a head unit with that type of screen :( Is there one that's out there that I'm not finding?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

At 2ohm the amp is likely struggling to control the woofer. I’ve had good experiences wiring dual voice coil subs in series as an 8ohm driver (vs in parallel for 2ohm), even tho it’s “less wattage” the amp has more control to make sure the cone goes where it needs to go. The term to look into is “damping factor”.

In the home audio world, demanding speakers that get into low impedance (since impedance isn’t a constant) sound like poo poo if you don’t have a suitable amplifier.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I want one of those McIntosh head units to match my home McIntosh gear, shame they aren’t modern.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

If they did a slightly oversized double din external screen thing of epic build quality and knob feel, it would most definitely extract money from me if they don’t gently caress up the software.

I’m not a big fan of brand loyalty but McIntosh* is an exception like pre-2006 BMW.

*is modern McIntosh stuff still good? My gear is from 1998 or earlier.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I bought one of these and it works fine. Dimmer works, reverse camera works, CarPlay works well, interface isn’t too annoying.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08LR81FP1/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You certainly get what you pay for screen and hardware-quality wise but it seems to work much better than I’d expect. I’m pleased for what I paid.

Also, they seem to be sold by a bunch of different sellers under different names, so just get the cheapest. Amazon will obviously take care of any DOA stuff if you buy it Prime.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Blu...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I’ve had really good luck with the cheap head units on Amazon. Bonus is that they’re usually less offensively designed than the name brand poo poo.

If you’re going to go into deep car audiophile territory they aren’t the best, but even I (an unashamed audiophile) have been totally fine with the audio quality of the ones I’ve used.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Get the wiring harness adapter for your car, ignore the specs. They’re all broadly the same. They matter zero with stock normal-car speakers like an older Subaru.

Also if you want CarPlay, I’ve had good luck with variants of this https://www.amazon.com/Hikity-Touchscreen-Bluetooth-Receiver-Microphone/dp/B08YWRPR89/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B08YWRPR89&psc=1

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

IIRC enabling Siri is required for CarPlay to work, even if you don’t use it. Sucks but that’s tech life.

Wtf, I didn’t realize Subaru changed so much with the SVX. I always assumed it was a parts-bin special car like every other Subaru. That said: http://ae64.com/SVXharness.htm

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 8, 2021

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Capacitive buttons for volume are really loving annoying

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I like having the USB cable tucked into my center console where I keep my phone. It’s typically a pretty tidy setup. If you can figure out where you’d like a USB extension cable to sit in your car, it should be pretty easy for any decent installer to get it there in a tidy and sensible way.

Where do you live? Some parts of the country are better than others for finding installers - there’s one near me that I’d recommend, but I also echo your concerns about random shops where people don’t give a poo poo.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Pretty much all head units are 4 channel like you need. Preamp outputs are meaningless for your application :-)

Also power output is almost entirely meaningless for your application as well. Partly because they’re all overstated and also partly because they’re all pretty much the same no matter what.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

NASA says to crimp!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I trust NASA engineers to research and document stuff like this :-) https://nepp.nasa.gov/files/27631/NSTD87394A.pdf

My trust in the rest of the apparatus that ensures it gets done is ever so slightly lower.

Actually… were you the one that initially linked this / as similar paper? I remember I learned about it from someone here.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Ok unplugged and recharging it again.

I left it charging for about 2 hours. Read 14.5 while running (thanks alternator) and then 12.6 when I turned it off.

I checked for a parasitic draw and was getting a reading of 300-800 milliamps that would bounce all around that range.

Within minutes of checking draw, reconnecting and restarting... couldn't crank. *Minutes*

Read the battery - it was reading about 12.4 steady.

I've unplugged the radio and am recharging (via running the car).

I mean even if there *is* a parasitic draw, surely it wouldn't draw that fast right? Especially when it wasn't even getting over an amp?

I saw one weird issue with body ground being bad and engine couldn't crank.

But if I do jump the car off, run it for a while, shut it down and immediately restart... it cranks.

Just not for if I leave it longer than 5-10 minutes.

Your battery is toast it sounds like. Tho two hours of charging isn’t much, leave it overnight. Or take it to autozone for their free fast charging / battery testing service.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Lowclock posted:

drat. DSP poo poo is so accessible and good now it's actually pretty insane. I bought a "restocked" (aka still sealed and brand new??) Dayton UMM-6 measurement mic for $45 and did some measurement in my car. I took those and plopped them into Room EQ Wizard to generate response and phase data to target, exported that into RePhase to generate linear phase filters, and then threw the resulting impulse response into Viper4Android's convolver.

I spent some time listening to music while switching it off and on and I'm very impressed. It just sounds like music now instead of speakers crammed in the worst possible positions "trying" to play music. With some of those huge resonance peaks squished it's so much clearer and easier to pick out every instrument.

I did the same with my PC, throwing the filters into Equalizer APO so they would apply to all sources, and laughed when it made my old Sony bookshelf speakers sound just like my car, in a good and very literal way. Then I used REW again to do impedance measurements on an old sub to model a proper enclosure for it for my PC, and boom, awesome.

I guess I may be kind of late on the train here. I actually had a Pioneer Premier 920R car deck, and a Denon something home receiver that had time alignment and auto-eq poo poo built in. I spent so much time trying to get them to do what I wanted, but it always ended up sounding kind of poo poo, and you couldn't actually adjust the EQ yourself afterwards.

The stuff you can do now is a whole different level, and it's basically free (besides the mic) with some caveats. You do lose a little overall output since you're going to be killing peaks and not boosting dips. Some of the software involved is kinda poo poo and not the most friendly your first time. Using this type of filtering does have a latency penalty, but depending on your goals it can be very low. I kept the taps low on my PC's filters and only gain like 7ms, so I can just apply it to everything, but if you want to do more complicated filters accurately, especially at lower frequencies, this could get much much longer. Lastly, you need something that can do it. Computers are fine, android works but it's jank as poo poo and might require being rooted, apple stuff is prob fine but I don't have any so idk.

Sorry, this is much longer than I intended. If you haven't hosed with modern DSP/measurement stuff you really should. It's great.

E: You CAN do offline convolving and apply it to all your music before hand if you don't have any other option, but that kind of sucks.

Almost empty-quoting this, because its so amazing.

I have a MiniDSP with Dirac Live in my living room and what it does is nothing short of amazing.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The cheapest MiniDSP works fine but only provides .9v output which simply isn't enough for home or car audio. The 2/.9 v distinction that they make on the website only applies to the input, it does not apply to the output.

I have the DDRC-88D which probably is overkill for the car, but Dirac Live is seriously some top-level poo poo and I promise will blow your mind.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Is there, like, a MiniDSP for dummies somewhere? I don't have the budget to be doing that at all at the moment, but it's interesting and I'd like to know more

MiniDSP on easy mode is just getting one with Dirac Live and following the prompts. It tells you where to place the microphone and does much of the heavy lifting for you.

MiniDSP for dummies? This one isn't bad: https://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Sorry - I just meant conceptually - like what's going on.

It's for correcting issues with speakers and the space they are in, essentially.

Here are a couple links that'll kind of get you started, they're not specific to the MiniDSP but the concepts are the same no matter what processor or measurement tooling you use (Room EQ Wizard being one of the most common you'll come across). I didn't spend a lot of time vetting these but they'll get your feet wet.

Kinda technical: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/features.html

Some dummy-how-to links related to room acoustics. I know they say pro audio but the concepts are broadly the same:

https://producelikeapro.com/blog/room-eq-wizard/
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/how-to-analyse-your-room-and-speakers-using-room-eq-wizard
https://www.gikacoustics.com/room-eq-wizard-tutorial/

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

My Hyundai’s OEM head unit and most rental cars I’ve been in have similar (and similarly highly variable) dwell times for CarPlay, alongside the cheap no-name CarPlay units I’ve used.

The Hyundai with the aftermarket wireless adapter vs a cable is much slower, also has worse voice quality and is slightly laggy. I barely use it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Ohhhh one of those + a cheap older android flagship with a great screen + carplay dongle might be a great solution for cars where a bigger screen would be a hindrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

Of course no sooner did I get this installed than I find the model they sell with a smaller screen and physical volume knob. I think I would much rather have had that than this, but :effort: I'm not going to pack this one up and send it back now.

Any chance you have a link handy? It sounds like something my Mercedes would really appreciate.