Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

My XC90 has 12 (i think) speakers installed and 16 locations where they can be mounted. How many channels can I drive with a typical double-din headunit? I'm guessing it is typical to combine tweeter/woofer pairs with crossovers and/or reduce the number of total speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cool, that's about what I expected. I think I'm looking at a full replacement of the sound and nav system for a bunch of reasons, mostly revolving around the oem system being distributed around the car with optical cables and being strongly integrated. I've seen a few options for connecting to the steering controls so I'm not worried about that part too much.

I've been thinking about some ideas involving removing the 2nd row center seat and third row seats and building a subwoofer enclosure / electronics bay / rear storage trunk system to level out the cargo area with the tailgate. So maybe I can delete the farthest back speakers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://www.cerrowire.com/products/...mpacity-charts/

8awg is rated for ~40-60A so probably not the greatest idea to run it at 80A. 4awg would be appropriate for 80A. That said, my gut says 80A on 8awg probably wouldn't start on fire in a room temperature environment, but I would follow the chart and not trust my gut (your insurance company sure won't care what I said/thought).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I work with electronics and we use a fair amount of wire and cable, but I have never come across anything actually using aluminum conductors until car stuff.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Who makes solid class D amplifiers that are reasonably priced? Preferably with DAC built in

e: maybe I could make something with TI TAS3251

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 13, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Who sells car audio stuff at a good price? The only place I know of is crutchfield and that is from before the internet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

If you adjust the panning of the output (like left/right, front/rear) all over does it sound muddy from every speaker or just one/some?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

What is the current good but also not super expensive panel treatment stuff like dynamat? and where to get it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Do any of the Android auto head units have capacitive touch? Anything with real buttons?

What about digital outputs?

e: Kenwood has capacitive touch

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 13, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

What about a digital output? I'd like to do DSP and digital crossovers but I'd prefer to stay in the digital domain.

e: I suppose HDMI out might be a thing

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 14, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crossposting this from the DIY audio questions thread, since this will be going in a car. But I don't imagine most people have a use for a USB amplifier in their car.

---
I'm working on a car audio system that is going to use a PC for DSP and active crossover. I want 3-way in the front, single woofers in the rear, plus a sub. So 8 channels + a bridged channel. I'm thinking of making my own 10 channel digital amplifier using USB to connect to the PC. Five TAS3251 plus a STM32F446 microcontroller to handle USB and creating I2S streams. Should be able to control the TAS3251 DSP functions through USB. The TAS3251 is good for about 150W per channel at 4ohms.

Is there anything on the market that I should look at? I couldn't find anything that would let me stay digital all the way to the amp and even going analog it is pretty expensive.

Roughly speaking, the BOM for this should be < $300. It will require an external supply to provide the 12-36V amplifier power. I'll probably end up with a handful of extra PCBs, is a 10 channel USB amp something anyone else would be interested in?

http://www.ti.com/product/TAS3251

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anyone have opinions on the best interconnect for the amplifier outputs? I like the PLH5 but I have a feeling audiophiles hate it for some reason they can't explain.

These options would work without an enclosure:

Big lug wire terminals like this from lugsdirect

Industrial style lever-actuated spring cage like this Phoenix Contact PLH5

perhaps PCB mount binding posts but I haven't seen any in right angle

These options would require a panel to mount the jacks to:

SpeakON loudspeaker specific connectors (surprisingly inexpensive) and I'd build a connector for each pair of wires

or Binding Posts, but what are good ones?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Are there quality options for a 360 camera system that could be used instead of 4 individual cameras?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh the roof rack? TBH I don't know, but I do know I've seen aftermarket 360 cams for sale on ebay like this thing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-360-De...ra/113674113278

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Do you have VIDA? I think the sub has a canbus interface and some info would show in vida

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I meant the amp, but I guess it doesn't have canbus if those are the connections in total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

This is the pinout of the 16-pin connector on the AUM, however, I am not sure it's the right bit for the subwoofer, this seems like everything but the sub. Maybe I need to tell vida I'm using a vehicle with a sub installed.