Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I just installed a JVC head unit in my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Infinity Gold System) and I'm getting a weird crackle sound from the rear speakers, specifically the passenger side. I used a plug-in wiring harness and tried two different chassis grounds. The weird thing is, the crackle isn't always there. It happens with the car on or off with the key in ACC. It changes in intensity when I push or wiggle the head unit, but I checked the connections and everything looks solid.

It also seems to build intensity slowly before sounding like a loud mechanical popping coming from the speaker, then it goes away. Then slowly builds again and repeats. Sometimes.

There are no issues when I reinstall the factory head unit, and this JVC unit was installed in my old '01 XJ Cherokee with the same harness and it had no problems there.

I am out of my element with audio, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

How do you have the head unit hooked up to the amp? Bypassed, speaker level, or preamp outputs?

I have no idea. I know basically nothing about car audio. I took the stock head unit out, connected a harness plug to the factory harness and then the new JVC unit, and connected the antenna. I'll take some photos to help illustrate what's going on. There are 3 plugs that are no longer plugged in from the factory wiring. One is the 10 disc CD changer, one is a black one that clips onto the back of the stock unit and one is a white one with two tiny holes on the end.

That's not very helpful, I know. I'll take pictures.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The speakers work as it's currently wired, and they are just as loud and clear as the stock setup, only there's weird crackling/popping/static. It changes as I touch the head unit itself, so it feels like it should be caused by a bad ground or connection on the back of the unit, but everything is nice and secure. I might just give up and buy a new head unit and wiring harness from crutchfield and hope it works. I hate dealing with audio stuff, I just want to be able to stream Spotify to my car speakers since my super sweet 90's 10 disc changer doesn't work anymore.