Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Asked this in the stupid question thread too, but maybe this is a better place. Can I get out a Kenwood stereo without having the special keys?

edit: got it out with computer parts per STR's recommendation in the other thread. Nothing wrong with the HU wiring. Gotta figure out how Mercedes are wired. :(

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there a simple, clean, functional (buttons and knobs, not touchscreen) Double-Din out there that doesn't look tremendously loving stupid?

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All-Car-Stereos.html?tp=5684&avf=N&nvpair=AG_Size|FFDouble%40DIN

I'm sure you can find something to your liking

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Scrapez posted:

It should be much, much louder with the amp than with the head unit and should be much clearer as well. I would check any settings on your head unit pertaining to the RCA outputs. Perhaps there is a level setting on the preouts as some head units have.

Which head unit are you using? Actually, a rundown of all the components you're using would be helpful.

Maybe I've fundamentally misunderstood my stuff but I don't see why an amplifier has to make things much much louder at the same volume settings if you've set it correctly. You should however be able to turn the volume and bass up much higher without distortion and clipping, right?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Enourmo posted:

My stereo has been acting odd lately. Occasionally, shortly after starting the car I'd hear a thumping noise, for about 30 seconds. I thought it was my ricer exhaust doing things, but turns out it's my subwoofer; the cone retracts slowly, then kicks down all at once, about 4-5 cycles per second.

It's an 03 Mazdaspeed Protege, system is a KDC-X896 head unit running to a (factory equipment) KAC-5295 amp, went from an 8-ohm factory sub to a 4-ohm (JLA 8w1v2-4). No issues with the other speakers, amp only runs the sub.

Anyone had issues like this? It's from 2002-2003, could this be a capacitor inside the amp going bad?

I don't remember the specifics but lots of people had trouble with the stereo in the Mazdaspeed, I think usually with the sub. Often when almost new. Consider yourself lucky to last this long I guess.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Be sure to try another cable before you go through a lot of trouble, just in case.

edit: Also: Don't have the audio source plugged into a charger powered by the car either. You may get alternator whine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD148BT/Alpine-CDE-HD148BT.html?avf=Y
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CS654/Kicker-40CS654.html?tp=105

Any thoughts on this head unit / speakers combo? I want a head unit with HD radio built in and a nice interface. Looks like it has nice big next track / a pause button. I like that there is an add-on amplifier you can get that is 45W RMS too.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP445A/Alpine-KTP-445A-Power-Pack.html

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I had the same line of speakers (older, but same series, same size) hooked up to an Alpine CDE-102.

The head unit alone got them decently loud without the amp.

The speakers weren't anything special, but they were definitely an upgrade over the stock speakers in that car. Alpine's always put out solid head units and amps too.

The stock speakers are 24 years old so yeah anything will be an upgrade. :D Somehow they produce literally no bass.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's hard to find one with the HD radio tuner built in. If you eliminate that requirement you'll get a lot more. Haven't researched if you can just add on one. They used to only be that way. The Alpine at least is definitely on Crutchfield and is $300 there. The model below it was $120 cheaper so I got that, but it has that 7-segment style display which kind of sucks but isn't worth the $120 difference. It displays the Artist and Title and the same time but not the play time.

edit: and it's a lot easier to just find one with a CD player. I don't think any of the single DIN media only receivers have a fancy display.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, it's counterintuitively cheaper to get one with a CD player still. Probably due to scale.

I have this in my WJ. Works great and meets all of your requirements other than it also has a CD player. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X8700BH

I need to get a photo of it in action one of these days. Smashing Pumpkins song showed up as "Bullet With Butt" :laugh:

Oh that's so weird. I looked it up on Crutchfield and they no longer have it there, and the replacement model they suggest doesn't have a dot matrix screen. WTF. Not a bad price. How do you advance tracks with it? Does the knob move?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I had that exact same adapter - the sound quality was downright terrible.

Yeah you gave it to me, lol. It's annoying to have to turn it on and off all the time. If you're going to have it in your car, just get one that turns on while plugged in.

I see they have Bluetooth adapters with displays on them now, but I want one without a speakerphone.

edit: Anker's website certificate has been revoked? WTF

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 20, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's got to be a high pass filter hidden in my C220 somewhere, there is just no bass. Geez.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
One thing I miss about the Kenwood I replaced is that settings, including Bluetooth, are stored in non-volatile memory. The Alpine I replaced it with does not do that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MikeyTsi posted:

I kind of wish my bluetooth settings were in volatile memory.

(because you can't delete bluetooth pairing).

Why not??

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

my 2010 Subaru outback has an auxiliary port and a USB media player plugin.

The auxiliary port is veeery finicky, ill have to twist the cord to get it to play without breaking up or being wicked distorted. Do they have like auxiliary condoms I can use that maybe beef it up and ensure the male's hitting that audio g spot and I can listen to music? Or any way to repair the female end without having to replace it?

Have you tried just using a different cable?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
And it's not a loose connector from your mp3 player? Just checking :) on the older imprezas it was pretty easy to change. See if you can find one of those Subaru dealers with the online diagram and look at the parts diagram.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hypnolobster posted:

Has bluetooth reached a point where it doesn't significantly degrade audio quality? I was under the impression that the bitrate was way high, but I put a (cheap) Pioneer in my car and the bluetooth sounds like hammered rear end in a top hat compared to 3.5mm. It's a Pioneer MVH-290BT.
All I want is to start my car and have my phone connect and work without dicking around plugging in the headphone jack, but this is barely even acceptable for podcasts and audiobooks.

I've installed lots of headunits, but this is the first time ever messing with bluetooth audio.

It should sound good, actually. Something is wrong. Although I know every once in a while mine pauses for a second. Happens with my friends iPhone too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ionn posted:

I recently bought a 2002 Mazda MX-5 that came with a 2-DIN "big lcd screen" stereo. Apparently some kind of factory/dealer option as it came with a Mazda-branded manual. However, it's old and outdated, the CD is broken and won't read anything, and the aux input is hidden somewhere on the back (haven't fished it out), so all it is is an awfully big radio with a user interface that looks like a web page from the turn of the century. Even if the CD worked, it only has maps for a different country from 15 years ago. So, an upgrade is due.

I've been looking around at Android-powered 2-DIN touchscreen stereo things (basically tablets with an audio amplifier in a car-stereo form factor) since that idea appeals to me, but boy are there many a dubious brand to choose from. Eonon, Pumpkin, Panlelo, Joying, Atoto.... Given the general quality of chinese electronic brands, I expect some of them to be crap and a few to be pretty good. However, I have zero clues as to which are which, and youtube reviews are inconclusive. Does anyone here have any experience with these and can offer some advice on what to get or what to avoid?

I want something that can download and run any app from both Play store and "custom" APK's, and be able to run plain standard Google Maps, but that seems to be the general case. Other than that, something that boots as quickly as possible (I know I'll have to learn to wait for it, but the less the better) and doesn't crash or generally misbehave too often. A reasonably modern Android version is nice too.
I do not need a CD/DVD player (would prefer one without with less depth for easier cabling), the biggest possible touch screen or audiophile-grade sound quality.

You could check out the Mazda 3 forums for more information on Eonon. They make headunits that are designed specifically for the Mazda 3 / Mazda 6s dash, etc.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Someone asked me about putting a new headunit in a 2015 Subaru Forester, with the Harmon Kardon w/nav.

He said it has a built-in amp? Would replacing the headunit use the factory amp or bypass it?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVW4500/Pioneer-AVH-W4500NEX.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3VXIVTXLmk9/p_113DDX9906/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX9906XR.html

Otherwise was comparing these two, they look very similar although the Kenwood is 22W RMS vs the 14 of the Pioneer, which is why I am asking about the factory amp.
Will cross post to Subaru thread too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is their audio quality any better than it used to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

harperdc posted:

Quick question: do makes change the way their single (or double) DIN units fit regularly? I have a probably 15-year-old Alpine head unit in my car in the U.S. (CD and ability to plug in iPods with the old 30-pin connection, the install shop ran the wire to my glove box). I think we ordered that from Crutchfield and got the adapter, but if I ever want to upgrade (front USB alone would be nice) I was wondering if a newer Alpine would fit in the same adapter.

Probably, although sometimes the wiring harness shape changes a bit. I remember having some that were really close, from the same manufacturer, but different.

edit: I mean DIN sizes haven't changed. As long as you have the metal sleeve thing + hardware that comes with the new radio, it should work.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 1, 2020