Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just installed a new double DIN bluetooth unit in my Scion tC last night. This is way easier than I remember it being when I last did it 14 years ago.

Order trim kit, wiring harness, and pack of butt connectors online. Sit down and get crimping while watching a 15 minute youtube video of some random dude umm-ing and ahh-ing as he shows you how he disassembled the dash and where all the screws and bolts are and what sizes they are.
Put everything in in about 20 minutes, and spend another 2 minutes digging through the manual to find out how to connect your phone to the bluetooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Megasabin posted:

I'm tired of using an Aux cable, so I'm looking for a decent car dashboard/radio system that can integrate with my iphone via bluetooth. Does anyone have any recommendations for one? Also does car type matter or will any system work with any car?

Additionally, how much do auto places charge to install one of these? I don't know how to solder, and don't really have time to learn.

I'm interested in the answer to the first question too. I got a unit I'm happy with on clearance at best buy but need to find another unit for my wife's car now and don't know enough to recognize a good deal.
Car type pretty much doesn't matter.
No idea what it would cost to get it installed at a place (that probably varies by region and vehicle), but installation is really not that hard. You don't need to learn how to solder, you can do a great installation using just butt splice connectors (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-strip-and-connect-wires-with-a-butt-connect/?ALLSTEPS)

The part that can be a little obnoxious is fighting with your dash to get to the screws that you need to remove to take out the old stereo and install the new one. On most cars, it's pretty easy. On others, you have to carefully unclip the plastic dash waterfall in a dozen different places using all 6 of your arms. You can search for your car year make and model + "stereo install" on google, and I'm sure you'll find a forum of proud owners who have posted a how-to with 3 dozen photos.
I had my choice of the thread from clubsciontc.com or scionlife.com or a half dozen youtube videos on my '05 TC. There is no car boring enough to not have a forum of hundreds of enthusiasts who love talking about it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Let's talk about adding rear entertainment to a van.

I'm minivan shopping (which is a surprisingly terrible experience, akin to shopping for a used Tacoma or Honda Fit). What sort of aftermarket options are there for adding in a rear DVD player or tablet?
I see some people saying forget the DVDs entirely, and just load up a tablet in a little case on the headrest. I live in AZ, and am concerned that such a tablet will get nuked in the 120+ degree heat

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Buy a white minivan.

How hot are we talking here?

Hot enough that if you leave a CD on your dashboard, it melts. Hot enough that if you leave your phone in the car, the phone will refuse to turn back on until it cools back down to a safe operating temperature.

180 degrees or so internal temperature?