Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I've been thinking about keeping the stock head unit in my '97 Miata because it sounds pretty good and I want to keep things as low key/stealth as possible. The problem is I bought some Alpine 6.5 coax speakers with 80 watts RMS and I'm afraid they may over work the stock "amp" if you want to call it that.....I'm not even sure how powerful, if at all, the stock amp is, so I'm going to need some sort of line output converter like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html?tp=2001

Anyone ever use one of these? Do they actually work well, or should I forget about trying to make my stock unit work with these speakers? If there is another way to do it I'm all ears.

[edit] Actually, this looks like a better but more expensive option:

http://www.amazon.com/LC2i-Audiocon...io+control+lc2i

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

There was sort of a misinformation thing going around a while ago where people were talking about having too little power for speakers and blowing them.

The problem is only that if you play a weak amp at high volume the signal will clip and overheat the speaker because there's lots of full current DC running through them when the wave clips.

The thing they all neglect to mention is that clipped audio sounds like complete poo poo long before it blows a speaker, but they listened to it that way trying to show that they had a loud system. I heard a guy doing that in stop and go traffic on the freeway the other day, I couldn't believe it. Just the nastiest distortion and popping I've ever heard, and he was riding with some hot chick and they both looked like they thought they were the coolest people on the road.

So yeah leica, you won't ruin anything by running good speakers with a weak amp unless you ignore the bad audio quality.

Yeah that's what I was worried about, over working the stock amp, so I'm basically anticipating that clipping is going to happen. I mentioned the RMS watts because I feel it's kinda silly to run speakers that capable off the stock unit. If someone thinks that running a more suitable amp won't improve the sound quality and/or prevent clipping then I'm all for other options. I'm also going to be "sealing" the doors with RAAM sound deadening mat and foam, so I imgagine that will work the speakers a bit harder also.

I'm still trying to decide what I want to do, really. I already have a nice Kenwood head unit and a couple amps, but the problem is I leave my top down all the time, and even when it's up I never lock the doors. The Kenwood would be very tempting to steal, but no one would look twice at the stock unit. I thought if I could get it sounding halfway decent/powerful then I wouldn't care about having an aftermarket head unit. I just don't want to go through buying and installing an output converter only to go "meh" after it's all said and done.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The speakers I'm replacing are some off brand components, they actually sounded pretty good until I touched one and the rubber surround disintegrated.

I guess I'll just see how it goes with the Alpines hooked up to the stock unit, then again see how they do with the doors sealed up. I want to use the Kenwood, and I honestly wouldn't care if someone swiped it, I just don't want my interior/dash hacked up by some crackhead trying to get to it. Also having a nice deck implies that there may be other equipmet to be had, then they start tearing up the car looking for amps and subs, etc. And I'm not doing a remote setup either, that's a pain in the rear end, I just want to keep poo poo as simple and stealthy as possible while trying to retain some sound quality, it doesn't have to be perfect.

[edit] The whole reason I'm even worried about these dumb speakers is Alpine put a warning slip in the box with bold letters talking about over-driven underpowered systems and how they can damage the voice coils via clipping, etc. I can post it when I get home, can't remember exactly what it says.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 6, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is it normal to get slight engine noise through the speakers when it's cold for some reason? Only happens when it's cold out :confused:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well the car is a Miata, the amp is in the trunk with the battery pretty much right next to it, so the power wire is only along side the rca lines for less than a foot.

And by grounds do you mean the amp grounds or all the car's grounds in general?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't usually upgrade the wires unless I'm using an amp, you'll be fine using the stock wires and it will be ten times easier too. Running wires sucks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

After running wires in both my cars for two amplified systems (Miata headrest speakers are a PITA) I'm done for a few years at least. The worst part of installing systems is running the wires. Even better is when you realized you hosed up AFTER you put it all together and have to rip it all apart again YAY.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cross posting from the Miata thread because this works on any car.

How to turn your doors into a speaker enclosure (with bonus manual window conversion)

FIN

Can you tell there used to be a map pocket on the door panel?

Speakers are just a pair of Alpine 6.5's with a high RMS (I think 80 watts) and the bass response now is incredible. Works out great for the Miata because there's no room for a sub and I don't feel the need for one now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I usually just go with the highest RMS wattage I can get for my budget :v:

Last pair I got were Alpines and they're awesome :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Maybe I've fundamentally misunderstood my stuff but I don't see why an amplifier has to make things much much louder at the same volume settings if you've set it correctly. You should however be able to turn the volume and bass up much higher without distortion and clipping, right?

Depends on your speakers, and if the gains are set correctly but generally yes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well technically if you're running the speakers off the head unit you can turn it up really really loud, it's just going to sound like dog poo poo.

Higher rms and amplifying makes it sound ten times better but there's only so much your ears can take of that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I understand that, what I'm saying is you can only turn it up so loud before your ears start to hurt whether it's distorted or not.