Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just jumped ship from iPhone to Android so my Alpine CDA-117 will no longer work with my phone unfortunately. It might be for the best because it was beginning to have all sorts of intermittent moments where it wouldn't recognize my phone and would keep disconnecting/reconnecting. Not sure if it has something to do with the cable or otherwise but I'm ready for a better solution now anyway.

Unfortunately it looks like Alpine more or less doesn't care about Android support so I guess my best bets are Pioneer or Kenwood.

Can someone point me in the direction of a solid Single DIN deck that will play nice with Android (primarily listening to spotify and podcasts but also some music stored on the device).

It looks like Bluetooth has gotten a lot better since I was last stereo shopping so I'd be really interested in hearing about people's experiences with Aptx or A2DP.

These are the two Kenwoods I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KDC-X599-Bluetooth-Receiver-Compatibility/dp/B00QCVWDG0
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KDC-X700-eXcelon-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01D52V4TA

My only real requirements are: don't look hideous, sound good, and accept CD's (for nostalgia kicks)
It would definitely be preferable to have USB out the back so that I could run the lead down under the center console to a phone mount or somewhere that it wouldn't have to be hanging off the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Krakkles posted:

I've been very happy with this:

Pioneer DEH-80PRS Mobile CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Y44DAY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_lDZZxb4X8FMCJ

My biggest concern was "sounds good", and it does. It offers a huge amount of adjustability and control over outputs and made my mishmash of speakers sound great together. It's in one car already and is going in the other shortly. Only gripe is that it has a key beep that can't be suppressed, but that's no biggie.

This certainly looks nice but it's also like a $200 price jump over the ones I was looking at and doesnt have aptx for Bluetooth. Having a hard time seeing what benefits that would be relevant to me other than a prettier display

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Krakkles posted:

You said looks nice, sounds good, accepts CDs, and USB out the back. It does all of those. You also didn't specify a price range, so I'm not sure what you expected. You're welcome to not buy it, dude.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be a jerk, I should have specified that I'm looking for decks in the price range of those 2 I linked to, $200 or less and ideally closer to $150. I'm beyond the days where I need an "audiophile" deck because most of the music I listen to these days is streamed from Spotify. I do want good, just don't need super premium. $300 for single din still feels like flagship model range to me.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So now I'm looking at a Kenwood kdc-x898 or 998 to replace my old Alpine that doesn't support my new Android phone.

The main thing i am liking about them are they are some of kenwood's only models that still have rear USB so I can run the cable down through the dash and up to my phone mount on the passenger's side of the center column.

I'll take another look at the pioneers before I pull the trigger but I definitely want to keep it under 250 for the deck if possible.

My question now is... If I want to upgrade my 6.5's in the door panel what should I be looking at with one of these decks and would it even be worth it? I'm not interested in moving up to an amp or anything more complicated in this car but if I can get better sound out of my door speakers for $150ish then I might be interested in that.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Ended up getting a Pioneer DEH-8800BHS.

I'll have to do some configuration on it but I think I'll be pretty happy with it.

Unfortunately one of the main reasons for wanting a rear-usb deck was so I could hide the USB cable under the dash for wired listening of Spotify, etc. Having played with the deck for a bit now I'm not even sure if I can even get it to play Spotify over USB, it looks like the nifty Spotify feature is only compatible over Bluetooth which seems loving idiotic. Every time I plug my phone in and try to play from it it scrapes the only audio I have stored on it at the moment which is system demo sounds. I really really hope I can figure out how to play streaming audio over it (not only for spotify but also things like podcasts). If not I will be pretty upset as my 7+ year old alpine did that poo poo without any trouble.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

VelociBacon posted:

I have a 4000nex and I think I can do it with CarPlay. Does your deck have CarPlay?

It's an android phone, so I can't use carplay. apparently you just can't play audio over usb with android unless it's music stored in the file system. so if I want to play anything from an app like spotify, stitcher, youtube, whatever it's only possible via bluetooth. Thankfully the bluetooth sounds pretty great but I've already had one instance in the past 2 days where it just couldn't detect my phone so I had to remove the device and go through the re-pairing process all over again, I seriously hope this isn't a recurring problem.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

powderific posted:

Did you try the android USB setting? Cause you have one option that says memory and the other that says app control and I wonder if that'd change how it works.

My understanding is that the app control is for the pioneer ARC app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
played with my stereo a little more today, realized that HD radio isn't working as it's only giving me static, I don't even know if there's a way to use a non-HD tuner but I'm wondering if I connected something up wrong or missed an antenna wire or something.

Also curious if there's a way on Pioneer head units to disable sources. I don't really want to scroll past Aux, Pandora, App, etc. sources if I'm never going to use them and plan to stick to Bluetooth, Radio, CD.