Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My friend stuck a Pioneer head unit into an 03 Chevy Maxx (basically a Malibu). He also replaced the rear speakers with some generic after market ones, but left the stock front speakers (it got cold before he got around to them). Anyway, sometimes the stereo works fine, coming on automatically with the car. Sometimes it works fine, he turns off the car, and the stereo doesn't turn back on. He can get it working again only by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and it works again for a bit.

Someone suggested to him that maybe the front and rear speakers are pulling different loads and he needs to swap out the fronts. Anything else that can be wrong?

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Devyl posted:

Sounds like he needs to check his wiring connections, harness connections, and fuses first. When he installed it, did he get everything crimped & connected properly? Just twisting and using electrical tape isn't a wise choice. If it's good, I would run a multimeter on the constant & accessory wires to see what kind of power it's getting.

He crimped everything, but is planning on pulling out the harness and double checking. It's just weird to me that it doesn't turn on, he doesn't touch the harness, he unplugs the battery, then it works just fine again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That sounds about right unless that year GM requires a special unit to replace the chime that is embedded in the stock head unit. Check out Crutchfield: it will at least tell you the parts you need or you can pay for the installation guide.
http://www.crutchfield.com/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That integration box is more than I expected it to be, but I guess that truck has a digital amp that the box integrates with.

Stupid GM and their integrating important crap into the head unit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Can I ask about Android Auto? How long does it take to get from getting in your car to music playing?

What I like about my current setup with an SD card instead of Bluetooth is starting my car and music just playing. Fiddling with my phone when I'm just driving a few minutes or running a series of errands would super annoy me.

I don't like the idea of plugging my phone in every time, but if it just starts playing the last thing in my playlist I could live with it.

Everything else about Android Auto seems like the ideal solution for what I want out of my car head unit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Most Android Auto head units still have BT and USB storage support, so you can keep using it the way you currently are, but having the in dash display and voice support is very nice on longer trips.

I'd hate to have two different UIs depending on source.

I'd be happy with my current setup if my commute was still eight minutes long and if I ever got the Bluetooth microphone to work (streaming is fine, if slow to connect; voice never worked).

I'm not upgrading this year, so I'll keep mulling on it.

Does USB-C present a problem?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Larrymer posted:

At the expense of my question/post being completely overlooked, sure. :v:

Hey, fellow GTI owner! Sorry for the hijack.

I don't have a solution for you, but maybe you can hack something out of a charging dock. Might require some cable splicing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

I love me XAV-AX100 and have it 95% installed.

I need the ae64 whatever dude to answer my emails

Had a question about these: the USB on the back seems annoying. I'm assuming one can run a long extension cable somewhere?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Honestly, I'd just run a cable to the glove box and let it dangle loose. Or run it with the Android Auto connection to my arm rest and let it dangle loose in there.

But those are cool.

Wasabi the J posted:

Yup. The only negative remark I can give it is that is completely ridiculous not to have an auxiliary TRS jack input in TYOOL 2017, and I really wish the screen was a bit better; but it has inputs for USB, backup cameras from any country and orientation (mirrored or non and refresh rate can be selected from the head unit), and allows custom steering wheel controls.

It's nearly perfect for an entry level Android Auto head unit.

What's wrong with the screen? Low resolution I can deal with (currently using a head unit from ~09 VW), lag would maybe make my crazy (though, again ~09 VW head unit).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cool. I think I talked myself into getting that for my annual bday/tax rebate gift (assuming I didn't gently caress myself with the 401(k) to IRA transfer hahaha oh God). It'd be nice to have Bluetooth calling for once, especially since I have an actual commute to work for the first time in years.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm doing some research on a Sony XAV-AX100 (thinking I'll install it come spring). There's a camera input. Is there a good cheap backup camera that's worth the trouble of installing? I'm thinking under $70.

(My sister has a minivan with terrible sight lines and a backup camera that I almost never look at it when driving her car; I can't imagine it being that useful on my small car that I've been reversing successfully for ten years. But, if the head unit has the capability and a decent camera is cheap, no harm in throwing one on there.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I saw this in a YouTube video. It's a safe flash? I'd hate to brick it out of the box, but would probably hate the safety message even more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

This is a 2018 that I'm driving. It's also the first vehicle I've seen with heated cloth seats.

My folks' 2011 (?) Forester has them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I wish that was an option when I got my car. Would have had to get leather, but the cloth had a tartan pattern that I couldn't pass up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I know the Sony head unit is the go to recommendation for an Android Auto unit, but anyone have experience with JVC's offerings? They are Wirecutter's runner up (https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-car-stereos-with-apple-carplay-and-android-auto/), the 740 is $50 more than the Sony on Crutchfield, and I would really appreciate the second USB port for playback off of a thumb drive.

The only real downsides I see are the lack of a volume knob (I usually adjust volume with my steering wheel controls) and the larger physical body (I don't see that being a problem considering the amount of wires I currently have jammed behind my dashboard).

Unrelated, I noticed some dork company makes custom USB inserts for the empty buttons in my car and I'm stupidly excited to integrate them.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-double-apex-parts/dual-port-usb-passthrough/usb01e0~dax/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

I know the Sony head unit is the go to recommendation for an Android Auto unit, but anyone have experience with JVC's offerings? They are Wirecutter's runner up (https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-car-stereos-with-apple-carplay-and-android-auto/), the 740 is $50 more than the Sony on Crutchfield, and I would really appreciate the second USB port for playback off of a thumb drive.

The only real downsides I see are the lack of a volume knob (I usually adjust volume with my steering wheel controls) and the larger physical body (I don't see that being a problem considering the amount of wires I currently have jammed behind my dashboard).

Unrelated, I noticed some dork company makes custom USB inserts for the empty buttons in my car and I'm stupidly excited to integrate them.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-double-apex-parts/dual-port-usb-passthrough/usb01e0~dax/

Grumble grumble. I did a bunch of research on the 730, but Crutchfield didn't have it in stock, so I bought the 740. I got it today and see that they removed the dual USB ports between the two versions.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

After too much trouble, I finally got a JVC KW-M730BT. It includes a GPS antenna in the box, but, as far as I can tell, does not have a GPS/maps function. Is this necessary for Android Auto or Car Play? I would assume the phone would just supply the GPS.

(I just don't want to route and mount an antenna if I don't need to.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FWIW, I have a JVC KW-M730BT and am told that the Bluetooth sounds perfect as long as I'm not driving down the interstate with the windows down. I get "okay Google" to register in some surprising situations.

I also have a new in box JVC KW-M740BT due to a mixup that I need to get rid of if you are interested. *wink* No CD player, though.

JVC KW-M740BT Apple CarPlay, Android Auto 2-DIN AV Receiver (No CD Drive) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079MGC44Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZxXuBb5YS5G9N

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Look at Crutchfield.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sony makes a unit with a volume wheel, but the screen is smaller to make room for it. It has good reviews.

My JVC has two tiny volume buttons. It also lets you spin your finger on the screen like an iPod scroll wheel to adjust volume, but stupidly doesn't work when running Android Auto (unsure about Car Play).

I have a brand new JVC unit that's never been used if you are interested. (hint hint)

JVC KW-M740BT Apple CarPlay, Android Auto 2-DIN AV Receiver (No CD Drive) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079MGC44Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8bEXBb765WH0C

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Since wrecking my previous car, I now have two JVC Android Auto double DIN head units I need to get rid of (wink). I liked it when I was using it.
KW-M730BT and KW-M740BT

I think the go-to is a Sony unit with a volume knob. I think it was the AX100.

All are in the $300 range. Not sure if that's cheap enough.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

jonathan posted:

Where abouts do you live ? Shipping to Canada can be kinda pricey.

Yeah, it probably is. I'm in Central Illinois.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, and the navigation from apps (I.e., Waze) is always going to be better than the inbuilt crap. That alone is reason enough to use android auto/apple carplay.

My car's turn by turn is better than Android Auto's, but I have a very nice heads up display. Auto is easier to find/input destinations and I like Maps' traffic and alternative routes more effective.

Personally, I found Auto a bit better for playing audio from my phone than Bluetooth, but playing mp3s directly through the head unit much better than using Auto. Too many of the functions are locked down in Auto and voice controls are very hit or miss. Half the time, I would pull over and use my phone for ten seconds after trying and failing voice commands to work for minutes at a time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tablets on the headrests?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, you'd have to rip them.

But, no changing discs and no discs for the kids to break. My sis got a DVD system (before buying a minivan with one built in) and I always thought tablets would have been easier and cheaper.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Unless the new one is a factory stereo (and even then), you will need an adapter harness to connect the plugs. Or you can splice the wires directly, but I'd recommend the harness.

What car and what stereo?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm assuming you are in the EU/UK, so I don't know which store.

Generally, you would want two pieces. One would be the harness with the plug into the back of the stereo. You'll need a brand name for that as they are all different (unless someone can tell from the photos). That has a plug on one end and bare wires on the other. And a wiring diagram telling you which wire is which.

The other part you want is a factory wiring kit or interface or harness for the car. This would be a plug to connect to your car and bare wires on the other end. And a wiring diagram.

You splice the two harness together and plug them in between the car and the stereo.

You could do without the factory adapter by cutting into the existing wires, but that's a permanent, non reversible option and I'd recommend getting the kit.

Without a model of the stereo, it's kinda hard to help. Sorry. Are there no stickers or anything?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

How do other sources (radio, cd) sound?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Can you plug a USB stick or SD card into it? Aux cable?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not entirely clear, but I feel like this is the solution anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dunno what else something screwed into the body could be. Can always bust out a multimeter.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't remember the numbers, but I was able to stick a mk6 head unit into my MKV GTI with an adapter harness. Almost all of the pins were the same except for like two and it had a breakout pigtail for the microphone (that didn't work for me for some reason).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I mentioned in the AI thread, I have a used JVC KW-M730BT from my old car. I'd need to take off the adapter harness (non-permanent attachment with screw connectors) and I need to check if there's any scratches. I should have everything that came with it and the box.

I can do something in the $200 range, I think. If you're interested, I can take photos and make a thread in the Mart.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

definitely. you don't have pm's or I'd take it to there but yeah I'm in.

Gimme a bit to clean everything up and make a post.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

definitely. you don't have pm's or I'd take it to there but yeah I'm in.

I think this is pretty thorough, but ask me any questions you may have.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968342

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nice. I never got around to sticking a backup camera on there, was going to be a project for that summer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

A) What car? This will help figure out what you need to buy.

B) Bluetooth and Android Auto are two different things (kinda). Bluetooth would be hooking up your phone and streaming calls/media wirelessly, just like to a speaker or ear buds. Most any modern head unit will have this. Android Auto and Apple Carplay are ways of having your phone drive the head unit's screen and giving access to your apps, including music and navigation, which seems to be what you are after.

These generally work by plugging the phone into the head unit via USB. (the kinda above is because even though you plug in to run Auto/Carplay, they still make a Bluetooth connection for phone calls). There are some wireless systems, but they are fairly new and still cost more. I'm not sure of any restrictions, like if you need a newer phone, etc.

C) Yeah, most come with USB ports on the back. You basically get an extension cable and route it to where you want it. In my old car I was able to get some ports that plugged into blank switches for a clean look, but that's going to highly depend on the make and model. You'll also probably end up running an external microphone somewhere for the calling to work.

If there's a USB port on the front, chances are that is for a USB drive to play mp3s off of. I haven't seen many Auto units with this as they make one huge display and limit what else is on the front of the unit.

Check out Crutchfield. They will narrow down what you need by make and model of your car. You can also pay to get installation instructions, which they will refund you for if you buy your kit from them. That way you can see what is involved with an install. Or check YouTube.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

One thing I'd recommend is running a cable to near where you want it and then another cable from there to your phone. That way if the cord messes up, chances are it will be where it plugs into your phone and you only need to replace the short extension rather than taking apart your interior to get to the back of the head unit.

(I did this with my AUX cables for the car that had the AUX port in the glove box. Ran a long cord under the trim to the center console and then a short cable from there to my phone.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Maybe someone with more experience will have issue with them, but I got these from Crutchfield and was really happy with them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP500/Posi-Products-Car-Stereo-Wiring-Harness-Connectors.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, the issue is that the wires enter the connector from the same end, so you need space for the wires to curve in the direction they need to go. I think if you stagger them, then you'll have a hard time getting them to route nicely without a lot of strain on the wires.