Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I'll be putting in a new stereo in the Nova in the future and it will an absolute ground-up build. I'll probably come back to this thread (or whatever iteration it's on at that time) when the time comes to actually start putting things together, but I wanted to get your guys' opinion on something now while I'm thinking of it.

Now, the original system in the car consisted of (probably) an AM tuner and a single 4x10" speaker in the dash. The original deck is long gone, but the speaker is still there. Obviously, I don't want to use a 40 year old soup can, so I've been looking into options to replace it. What I've seen some guys do is basically build a bracket that will mount to the dash where the old speaker was and rig up a pair of 4" speakers to that bracket. Kicker's got some 2-way 4"ers that seem to be pretty well liked. I was thinking that a pair of those rigged up in a bracket to point them somewhat away from each other would probably be pretty nice.

Now I was also thinking that maybe I'd forego the 4x10" replacement and get some 5-1/4" component systems for the kick panels under the dash. Polk makes a set that looks pretty nice.

Then I started wondering if I could run both of these and basically split the front channels between them. Left 4" in the dash plus the left components and the same for the other side. I'm sure there's some power issues I'd need to take into consideration there, but what do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, there are/will be 6x9"s in the rear deck. Not sure what's in there now, but they will probably get replaced when I do everything else.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So here's a stupid question for you audio guys: what kind of speaker wire should I be looking at? I figure all copper is better than copper coated aluminum and obviously the bigger the gauge the better, but I'm not looking for high-dollar top-tier poo poo here. I don't plan on running an amp or any subs (at least not initially), so I figure I don't need anything too crazy. Do you think 14ga would be ok or should I bump it up to 12? Any preferences on brands?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think it uses them, I honestly can't remember but I think it can be faked?

It still doesn't get any goddamn easier than a Ranger. Super goddamn easy to swap it out. Speakers are cake too.

Friend of mine had a Ranger with the super base radio. Not even a tape deck. We found one with a tape deck at a yard sale for 10 bucks. Took it back to his place, popped the old one out with a cut up wire hanger, popped the new one in. No adapters, no fuss, took about 10 minutes including finding a hanger to cut up. It may have been the easiest head unit swap ever done.