Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

zeroranger: guess who got their saved data erased

Edit: So more context, and I think I was pretty close to the eeeeeeeend end. But there's so many great moments!

FINALBOSS Dodonpachi fever dream whaaaat

The normal final boss is a doozy

I have a feeling Not Sans the Monk Guy has some significance and I am generally wondering if there are other branching paths besides time loop or true ending

It's really cool to play shmup where the enemy spams bombs on their last life; that's exactly what I do!!

I didn't realise the "one shot" mission's character could damage by coming into contact with enemies until like, the last enemy before the boss, whoops

Also I suspect this game has difficulty scaling.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Dragon Blaze has got a release date of July 30th on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1279420/Dragon_Blaze/

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256792570/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1594697807

This rounds out the games initially named, the only ones left from the Shooting Stars Collection are Zero Gunner 2 and Gunbarich, a Breakout/Arkanoid-style Gunbird spinoff.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 15, 2020

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Artelier posted:

zeroranger: guess who got their saved data erased

Edit: So more context, and I think I was pretty close to the eeeeeeeend end. But there's so many great moments!

FINALBOSS Dodonpachi fever dream whaaaat

The normal final boss is a doozy

I have a feeling Not Sans the Monk Guy has some significance and I am generally wondering if there are other branching paths besides time loop or true ending

It's really cool to play shmup where the enemy spams bombs on their last life; that's exactly what I do!!

I didn't realise the "one shot" mission's character could damage by coming into contact with enemies until like, the last enemy before the boss, whoops

Also I suspect this game has difficulty scaling.

There is definitely a ranking system in the game. The most obvious case is the caterpillar miniboss boss in the sea stage. If you reach it while not playing perfectly it sometimes won't even shoot at you. Another example is the circle formation enemies who can be a real pain in the rear end if your rank is high enough.

A piece of advice: The game has an auto-fire weapon 3 button. You can map it in the options menu.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I picked up Gunbird 2 on a whim and goddamn that game seems hard as balls, I was too scrubby to get through to the end without cranking up lives and poo poo. I heard Gunbird 1 is a lot easier? I like Valpario a lot because his shuriken shot seemed to hit pretty hard. Are there any other Psikyo shmups worth it on Steam?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm still wanting to find a video of someone going full pacifist on zero ranger.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

OK I'm stuck trying to complete the Speed Zone challenge (Clear high speed maze section in stage 4 within 45 seconds). How do I get the maze section to move faster? Do I have to also have to kill the enemies off screen?

Top of the screen to speed up, iirc. You get a visual effect whenever it accelerates, I remember that much.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm still wanting to find a video of someone going full pacifist on zero ranger.

Top of the screen to speed up, iirc. You get a visual effect whenever it accelerates, I remember that much.

I don't think full pacifist is possible! I went through the game without killing anybody, and the final boss (any of them) just don't stop attacking when the timer runs out. Now, maybe there's something I'm missing, and it changes later or something, but that timer hit 000 several times, and stayed there for more than a minute in a couple cases.

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I think the maze is a special case where it accelerates on each enemy kill. There’s a run on YouTube by Jaimers that collects all the Light Mode awards, and that was their explanation.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Zeroranger final mission: THE REMAINING CONTINUES ARE MY LIVES??? NOOO I RESET MY SAVE AGAINNN

Edit: FOUR TIMES NOW FUUUUUUUUUUUUU excellent game tho but really this last bit is grating on my nerves now

Artelier fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 15, 2020

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Discendo Vox posted:

I finished the challenge. The scroll speeds up for the rest of the maze with each kill. I cheesed it by using Type-B Sword Mecha with weapon 3 auto-fire (a.k.a. easy mode).

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

hello friends guess who is at six erased save files and counting

i am getting much better at the game in general though! stage 2 still the worst tho, i lose SO MANY LIVES there

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
One of the things I like the most about ZeroRanger is that you can bump into most enemies and terrain without dying immediately. It always felt like a bullshit death when you slightly clip the terrain or an enemy ship.

What other shmups have this feature?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

One of the things I like the most about ZeroRanger is that you can bump into most enemies and terrain without dying immediately. It always felt like a bullshit death when you slightly clip the terrain or an enemy ship.

Not sure if all but at least a bunch of Psikyo games do a power down when you hit enemies. I remember trying it to reduce rank in Strikers 1999 to slow upcoming down boss bullets...but it didn't reduce rank enough iirc :v:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Einhänder has a thing with terrain where you can bump on it for a little bit before exploding

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

BurningCourage posted:

I picked up Gunbird 2 on a whim and goddamn that game seems hard as balls, I was too scrubby to get through to the end without cranking up lives and poo poo. I heard Gunbird 1 is a lot easier? I like Valpario a lot because his shuriken shot seemed to hit pretty hard. Are there any other Psikyo shmups worth it on Steam?

I ended up playing a bit on baby and can beat it pretty consistently there with the default lives/continues. Stepping it up from 1 (baby) to 2 (child) is pretty significant, so if you're playing on the default difficulty you might bump it down to see the game without blowing through lives.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

hellsinker features no collision damage. bumping into something instead pushes you a good distance...which can push you into a bullet and kill you, but thats different.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Iridion 2 doesn't have collision damage, best Gradius game Gradius Gaiden does have collision damage but one of the shields you can choose prevents it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Guard is a good shield too

Unfortunately Shining Core can easily deplete it with its lasers even if you're positioned in the right spot

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are polygon-era horis that let you glance the terrain and only kill you if you press against them for too long, but I can't remember which ones right now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Was there one where you bounced off enemies? I'm thinking Zero Gunner 2 but I figure that probably had the usual Psikyo power down mechanic.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I think R-Type Delta and Final both let you grind against walls and floors without losing a life as long as they're not obviously intended to be harmful even if they don't look that way, ie. stationary scenery vs. parts of a giant enemy ship.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

One of NMK's games - P47 Aces - encourages bumping into poo poo, it's either a scoring or DPS mechanic, I forget which.

Same with Shippu Mahou Daisakusen (Kingdom Grandprix).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

P-47 Aces uses the terrain bumping as a score mechanic, it's loving hilarious because you can get jammed inside one of the bosses and bump around netting you about 200k or something like that.

NMK scoring, everyone.

Zed Blade/Operation Ragnarok, also from NMK, uses shooting the terrain for high scores and there are replays of people intentionally using bomb invincibility on the first stage so they can fly through sections of the ground in order to keep shooting the ground and not die from the collision. And then there's GunNail with its multiplier tied to how many life containers you have to the point where if you beat some bosses with only 1 hit to spare you'll get x100 points.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 16, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I am eight save erasures into Zeroranger but this game is SO GOOD. I'm pretty sure I'm at the super end, I just don't get many opportunities to try this part.

On the bright side I can reach stage 4 without continuing now! Are SHMUPs just...memorising :O

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Artelier posted:

Are SHMUPs just...memorising :O
Yes and no. Some require heavy memorization, and obviously knowing what's coming will help.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Zeether posted:

Einhänder has a thing with terrain where you can bump on it for a little bit before exploding

This is one of those weird things with Einhänder. I think the ship actually has a health pool. It's incredibly tiny, and one shot from almost anything will blow you up, but there are a few weird edge cases where you can take a hit and keep flying. Terrain's the same thing. I think you can graze the ground just a bit and shave off health without exploding.

And, of course, the manipulator arm is invincible.

God, I love Einhänder.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I HAVE DEFEATED ZERO RANGER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

FanaticalMilk posted:

Dragon Blaze has got a release date of July 30th on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1279420/Dragon_Blaze/

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256792570/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1594697807

This rounds out the games initially named, the only ones left from the Shooting Stars Collection are Zero Gunner 2 and Gunbarich, a Breakout/Arkanoid-style Gunbird spinoff.

I picked up gunbird and strikers 1945 now with the idea being I'd wait awhile and get the sequels/other city connection games later but wow, dragon blaze looks gorgeous idk if I can resist day one

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Dragon Blaze is pretty cool but man it has freakin' terrible music.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Psikyo generally aren't known for quality BGM. There's the traditional Japanese music in the Sengoku games but I have no idea how that compares to similar works that are considered good.

The only things that stand out to me are the end-of-stage jingles from Strikers and Gunbird.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Guess I'm buying Crimzon Clover again.

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1286882964505149440

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I still haven't unlocked Type Z in World Ignition

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well I'm completely stuck in ZeroRanger. The Undertale mini-boss destroys me, and if you level select the fourth stage, you still have to play half of the game anyway to get there. Ugh.

Really like the game, but some of it is weird.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Andrigaar posted:

Well I'm completely stuck in ZeroRanger. The Undertale mini-boss destroys me, and if you level select the fourth stage, you still have to play half of the game anyway to get there. Ugh.

Really like the game, but some of it is weird.

There's a trick to that boss, if you're really stuck. If you attack the sleep bubble without hitting the boss, he'll wake up peacefully and you won't have to fight. This also gives you some additional lore during the final boss. Cheating for sure but honestly no one actually fights that boss, because it IS really hard!

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

lets hang out posted:

There's a trick to that boss, if you're really stuck. If you attack the sleep bubble without hitting the boss, he'll wake up peacefully and you won't have to fight. This also gives you some additional lore during the final boss. Cheating for sure but honestly no one actually fights that boss, because it IS really hard!

also that boss gives 0 score so not even score attack runs do it lol. give peace a chance

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

also that boss gives 0 score so not even score attack runs do it lol. give peace a chance

I was afraid to read the spoiler in case it was some stupidly obvious pattern. Then I read the last four words of this post and went "Oh... he is meditating isn't he?"

THEN I released a charged shot anyway because my finger was tired of holding the button down, but it didn't screw me and I got to 2-3 as many new patterns showed up to shoot me in the butt :cheersbird:

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Nice! I've been wanting it on the Switch!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I want to love Crimzon Clover as much as you (I even unlocked the extra fighter) but I can’t. Having more than a third of the screen covered constantly in bullets and bullet splashes is not for me apparently.

I only bought it to support Gryzor87 by buying his arranged soundtrack.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

RS34, makers of Karous - The Beast of Re:Eden & Radirgy, have announced Illmatic Envelope S. More new is supposed to follow on August 15th.

https://twitter.com/rs34_kouhou/status/1288021412624527360

Illmatic Envelope Dillinjah originally released for 3DS, below is a trailer for that version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aqM5W90iok

My hope is that a Switch port/update of Karous will follow this and then maybe they'll come to Steam eventually.

Reive posted:

A bit of misinformation there, radirgy swag is an original radirgy game, not a port, hopefully the new illvelo is too, none of the rs34 developed 3ds spinoffs of the milestone games did very well. I dunno if swag did either but at least it's an actual vertical shmup and not a weird single screen mission based game.

Thanks, I deleted the line about that.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 29, 2020

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Meanwhile Dispatch Games said like, one thing on Radirgy S's localization recently and went silent so lord knows what is happening there.

Maybe I'll just import Illvelo S. The tweet being bilingual seems to imply some localization effort though. I'd love Steam ports too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

A bit of misinformation there, radirgy swag is an original radirgy game, not a port, hopefully the new illvelo is too, none of the rs34 developed 3ds spinoffs of the milestone games did very well. I dunno if swag did either but at least it's an actual vertical shmup and not a weird single screen mission based game.