Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
rrootage switch port out in US for $5
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/rrootage-reloaded-switch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Feels good to be back into shmups. Practicing Rolling Gunner, able to get to stage 3 already :D
How is the Galuda 2 port? I have it on 360 but I don't want to get my 360 hooked up anymore. Really wish Muchi Muchi would find its way to Switch too.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Galuda 2 port is pretty good afaik, I saw a post on the shmups forum saying some of the sound is a bit off but it has the omake mode and everything from the 360 port. I'm gonna have to pick it up when I get a paycheck.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Capcom Arcade Stadium is on Steam sale, and they've finally broken the games out into individual purchases if you were hung up on that. (the individual purchases are not discounted).

I hope this means they're still working on more games.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Galuda 2 port is great as well as Mushihimesama. Livewire supposedly releasing Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu in “winter” and then I’m guessing based off sales they’ll announce more 360 ports. Guessing Guwange, Mushi Futari or the Pink Sweets/Muchi Pork pack will be next.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'd love to see eschatos make a return with all the additional wonderswan content too.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ineffiable posted:

I'd love to see eschatos make a return with all the additional wonderswan content too.

um... you know Eschatos and Judgement Silversword have been on Steam for years, right?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

bees x1000 posted:

um... you know Eschatos and Judgement Silversword have been on Steam for years, right?

Need console ports too.

But if I get a steam deck then I could just use it for those pc only shmups.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Grabbed the Galuda 2 port for Switch and it's amazing. Definitely worth a few lunches to get my bullet cancel fix.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Announced earlier this month as coming to Steam and Switch on Thursday: Abarenbo Tengu & Zombie Nation, which collects both the Japanese and US versions of Meldac's surreal giant-head-em-up, with the requisite emulator niceties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkW8zQ-D8K8

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Strictly Limited have been very busy recently and were doing physical versions of that, as well as an NES version. Quite niche.

They've also started pre orders for Panorama Cotton and Cotton 100%, releasing each game separately and doing a run of PC mega drive carts and 100% SNES carts.

Been playing more Mushihimesama on switch and it's such a good port, while I do like the m2 gadgets, it does make their ports seem very expensive in comparison. That said I'd love either of them to port Ibara.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Announced earlier this month as coming to Steam and Switch on Thursday: Abarenbo Tengu & Zombie Nation, which collects both the Japanese and US versions of Meldac's surreal giant-head-em-up, with the requisite emulator niceties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkW8zQ-D8K8

There's one I didn't see coming at all

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Cotton Reboot's Steam store page is up.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Another Toaplan collection from M2 coming, this time with Flying Shark and Fire Shark:

https://twitter.com/dengekionline/status/1453345761161138180

I'm a Fire Shark junkie so this very much appeals to me

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Excellent! While I'm most excited for the later games like Dogyuun and Vimana, I'll definitely pick these up at some point.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

where's the tatsujin/oh/outzone/batsugun collection made just for me

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I wonder if they'll include the home ports like the Tiger Collection. IIRC NES Sky Shark was made by westerners and never released on Famicom. I also wonder if they'll backport the MD Fire Shark difficulty overhaul to the arcade version. That would be incredible.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Slightly more details via Famitsu: It'll be out next Spring, and will also include an unannounced "masterpiece of action game". You know, like how Ultimate Tiger Heli had Guardian/Getstar.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Part of me is thinking Ghox (the Arkanoid clone).

Would be cool to see the MD difficulty tweaks in the arcade version, I got pretty far in the MD version. Dodging the green powerup is pretty tough though

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Thanks for the responses regarding Final 2, everyone. I assume the Switch ports of the Cotton remake and the other Cotton games are fine though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

FWIW I love both Final games, outside of two specific stages in Final 2 (both DLC) which are just bananas hard for me. I wish the ship unlock economy was a bit nicer tho.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Thanks for the responses regarding Final 2, everyone. I assume the Switch ports of the Cotton remake and the other Cotton games are fine though.

Cotton Reboot plays well and the Cotton games that come out today play fine, I'm pretty sure, but the Saturn games (Cotton 2 and Cotton Boomerang) are lousy on both Switch and PS4.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

not actual shmup news but after a 2+ year drought,
:siren: xbox backwards compatibility :siren:
https://twitter.com/trueachievement/status/1452968332194353166?s=21
back to hoping for Futari, Bangai-O, Raiden Fighter Aces and more

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Oh yes, I've been itching to play Akai Katana

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Platinum will be airing "Hideki Kamiya's Very Sorry Stream" for Sol Cresta on November 2nd at 8PM PST/11PM EST. Based on the name, I think we can assume a delay's on the cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ehlJBEk1m0

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Everything gets one delay at the very least these days. Far cry 6, elden ring, riders Republic, so many games have gotten delays that the only ones I've seen without a delay are games that don't set a date 2+ months out.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I've been playing a little ketsui death label and I enjoy the format of boss rush with training modes and progression. I'm curious if rRootage took some inspiration from it in that aspect.

Are there other games that are similarly made? It really helps the replayability for me. Especially the practice mode; I'd be OK with non-boss rush

Come to think of it, Thousand Night Anamnesis is kind of like this.

I should also try ketsui deathtiny but I haven't bought it yet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
rRootage is pretty dang old, looking it up it came out in 2003, so it predates Ketsui Death Label by a few years, hell it predates the DS itself.

And holy crap looks like Kenta Cho has been active all these years...or I never noticed the billion other games/projects he had on here:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Chaos Field and Warning Forever spring to mind.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the best of the touhou games, “shoot the bullet,” has that structure— it heightens the series’ strengths and makes its weaknesses less relevant

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Neat, Eschatos coming to PS4 and Switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBnz33vP5As

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just grabbed R-Type Final 2 in the recent sale and I cannot decide if I like this game or not. I know some of it is that I'm rusty on older-style shooters with full-ship hitboxes, and I need to get back into the habit of using my Force defensively. But then I look at where some of the checkpoints are and, even on Normal, some of these segments are absolutely brutal. I cannot imagine how bad this would be if I were on Hard or above, especially if the powerups are as sparse. I got to stage 3 on one life in a recent attempt, and never even had two bits at any point.

On the other, this is hitting a lot of nostalgia buttons so far, and while I hate the 'currency' system to develop ships, it always kicks rear end when I get another set of them to play with. Getting better wave cannons is really making the first few stages a cakewalk now that I'm back in the habit of "okay, quiet portion, charge the cannon for a little", especially if I've got missiles for soft defense.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

japtor posted:

Neat, Eschatos coming to PS4 and Switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBnz33vP5As
More specific info from Twitter and site: Eschatos will land on the JP Switch eShop on November 18 (with pre-orders starting on the 11th), with Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sins packed in, load times removed and remastered music. The PS4 port and an international release are in development, but with no more specific details.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

secretly best girl posted:

I just grabbed R-Type Final 2 in the recent sale and I cannot decide if I like this game or not. I know some of it is that I'm rusty on older-style shooters with full-ship hitboxes, and I need to get back into the habit of using my Force defensively. But then I look at where some of the checkpoints are and, even on Normal, some of these segments are absolutely brutal. I cannot imagine how bad this would be if I were on Hard or above, especially if the powerups are as sparse. I got to stage 3 on one life in a recent attempt, and never even had two bits at any point.

On the other, this is hitting a lot of nostalgia buttons so far, and while I hate the 'currency' system to develop ships, it always kicks rear end when I get another set of them to play with. Getting better wave cannons is really making the first few stages a cakewalk now that I'm back in the habit of "okay, quiet portion, charge the cannon for a little", especially if I've got missiles for soft defense.
Once you develop a ship with Tentacle Force and detach it it basically plays itself and I love it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Akuma posted:

Once you develop a ship with Tentacle Force and detach it it basically plays itself and I love it.

I think I'm just on the verge, Albatross was the first, right? Or the start of that line? I'm going off half-remembered RTF1/series knowledge, haha

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

japtor posted:

rRootage is pretty dang old, looking it up it came out in 2003, so it predates Ketsui Death Label by a few years, hell it predates the DS itself.

And holy crap looks like Kenta Cho has been active all these years...or I never noticed the billion other games/projects he had on here:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/

2003 sounds about right. I remember messing with BulletML back then, which I think was used for rRootage and tumiki fighters (maybe others?)

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Chaos Field and Warning Forever spring to mind.

nrook posted:

the best of the touhou games, “shoot the bullet,” has that structure— it heightens the series’ strengths and makes its weaknesses less relevant

thanks for these! i'll see if i can get them running with what i have.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

The Kins posted:

More specific info from Twitter and site: Eschatos will land on the JP Switch eShop on November 18 (with pre-orders starting on the 11th), with Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sins packed in, load times removed and remastered music. The PS4 port and an international release are in development, but with no more specific details.

Amazing news, I've never played any of these so I am very excited.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Judgement Silversword/Cardinal Sins is a GOAT, and it's a friggin' wonderswan game.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

knuthgrush posted:

2003 sounds about right. I remember messing with BulletML back then, which I think was used for rRootage and tumiki fighters (maybe others?)

Loved the ABA Games-stuff back in the days. I used BulletML in a shmup I made in 2006! For reference https://ucas.muri.se/info.html, don't know if it even starts today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bees x1000 posted:

Judgement Silversword/Cardinal Sins is a GOAT, and it's a friggin' wonderswan game.

:emptyquote: