Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins posted:

Platinum will be airing "Hideki Kamiya's Very Sorry Stream" for Sol Cresta on November 2nd at 8PM PST/11PM EST. Based on the name, I think we can assume a delay's on the cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ehlJBEk1m0
Delay confirmed, no new release date yet, just that it wasn't possible to hit the original December 9th date due to schedule and quality issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

secretly best girl posted:

I think I'm just on the verge, Albatross was the first, right? Or the start of that line? I'm going off half-remembered RTF1/series knowledge, haha
Yeah!

I played that game to death, thought it'd be more popular tbh. Thinking about it now I'm itching to go and play some more of the first Final...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Well, an incredibly cool final stage that broke from tradition (so, sort of like Final 1...) was just ruined for me by the game bugging out in the ending and just... not. ending.

It froze on the final screen after the credits ran and even if I paused and chose "skip demo" it failed to do anything. So I closed the game and discovered that it did not save that victory when I reloaded! I would be so much less pissed at this if it didn't mean that I just lost, effectively, an entire hour and change because I now have to do everything leading up to that final level again.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Well, an incredibly cool final stage that broke from tradition (so, sort of like Final 1...) was just ruined for me by the game bugging out in the ending and just... not. ending.

It froze on the final screen after the credits ran and even if I paused and chose "skip demo" it failed to do anything. So I closed the game and discovered that it did not save that victory when I reloaded! I would be so much less pissed at this if it didn't mean that I just lost, effectively, an entire hour and change because I now have to do everything leading up to that final level again.
That sucks. Game's quite buggy, I think on PS5 the graphics are still hosed if you use rest mode.

Which route/ending did you get?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Hyperspace defense into Planet Bydo. I think it said 6.2/7.2?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

This just popped up on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1808900/GRAND_CROSS_ReNOVATION/

I think it was brought up before but this game is by a former Dezaemon shmup creator and it had a kickass demo a while back.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hyperspace defense into Planet Bydo. I think it said 6.2/7.2?
Ah yeah. A tricky final stage and a ridiculously easy boss.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm vaguely remembering a long-term shmup project by a Vanillaware artist that had a short demo a while back. Might've had 'blade' in the name. What am I thinking of?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bees x1000 posted:

I'm vaguely remembering a long-term shmup project by a Vanillaware artist that had a short demo a while back. Might've had 'blade' in the name. What am I thinking of?

Sounds like @shigatake

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

That was it, thanks.

A shmups discord dude just got the Ketsui WR and is streaming it:
https://twitch.tv/moglar5k

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I bought Steel Vampire on sale today and it RULES. It's very heavy on speedkilling enemies and you don't get hurt from collisions so pointblanking is a valid strategy. It's also fun to shoot the rank up and have 20k medals constantly dropping.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

bees x1000 posted:

That was it, thanks.

A shmups discord dude just got the Ketsui WR and is streaming it:
https://twitch.tv/moglar5k

are there multiple ketsui games? i've been playing death label and i really liked that but i haven't picked up deathtiny yet. which game is this? pardon my ignorance :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

knuthgrush posted:

are there multiple ketsui games? i've been playing death label and i really liked that but i haven't picked up deathtiny yet. which game is this? pardon my ignorance :(
That's Deathtiny.

There are two other variants of Ketsui - Ketsui Death Label on DS and G-Mode Archives+: Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi DX for ancient Japanese flipphones and Switch, but they are portable adaptions transformed into boss rushes.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

The Kins posted:

That's Deathtiny.

There are two other variants of Ketsui - Ketsui Death Label on DS and G-Mode Archives+: Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi DX for ancient Japanese flipphones and Switch, but they are portable adaptions transformed into boss rushes.

i can't imagine playing that on a t9 phone... wow.

thanks for the info!

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Hot drat, I knew Moglar could do it!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

A second wave of preorders for a limited number of Deathsmiles I+II for Switch and PS4 is live on Strictly Limited Games. I grabbed a Switch Collector's Edition, had already been planning on getting the edition with included DLC and soundtrack from Play-Asia, but since I won't have to pay customs from SLG that one ended up being a little cheaper for more stuff for me.

They don't seem to be going super fast at least, about 23 hours after preorders opened the only one that's down to under 50% left is the PS4 Collector's Edition.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 13, 2021

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

What is the consensus on Deathsmiles 2 these days? I remember it not getting a western release, having weak 3d graphics and not being well liked.

Reive
May 21, 2009

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

What is the consensus on Deathsmiles 2 these days? I remember it not getting a western release, having weak 3d graphics and not being well liked.

I really like it specifically because of it's artstyle feeling like it fell out of a never released 90s lightgun game, the chirstmas theme and soundtrack are so fun too, can't really say how good it is to play because I only really play shmups for fun and not scoring or anything, but it controls well lol.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

It's not very good but it can be fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Trailer for the Steam release of Darius Cozmic Collection[/url], which comes out next Thursday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_noI2WLsWUo

Also, Cotton Reboot is finally out on Steam, although the PC port is apparently pretty barebones.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

was hoping 'new Steam features' would include Gaiden Extra

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gynoug port out already, that was quick.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 12, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The official word, no more waiting and wondering:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/11/15/70-new-backward-compatible-games/

quote:

This latest and final addition of 70+ titles to the backwards compatibility program...

There are no shmups on that list. Futari, Bangai-O, Pink Sweets, Raiden Fighter Aces, etc.. are never getting ported. So hang on to your 360's, fam.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

uhhhhh G-MODE's java phone DDP Daioujou released on Steam today, I didn't get any notification about it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1751100/GMODE_DX/

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

The official word, no more waiting and wondering:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/11/15/70-new-backward-compatible-games/

There are no shmups on that list. Futari, Bangai-O, Pink Sweets, Raiden Fighter Aces, etc.. are never getting ported. So hang on to your 360's, fam.

I’m hoping Livewire continues to release the Cave Xbox ports onto the Switch at least.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade is out on Steam, 20% launch discount. If you already own DBCS, you can buy the 'DBCS X DCCA PACK' and get another 10% off.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

what's everyone's favorite controller on a pc (running linux)? my 8bitdo (snes model) kinda spazzes out under linux and retroarch, though it works great with lemuroid on my phone. i do have a tomee usb snes controller but the buttons are real mushy. at the moment, i use a very old gravis gamepad pro (model #4211) and i still have the thumbstick for it! i'm thinking about picking something compact up that has decent buttons for using with shmups in retroarch.

edit: i just tried my son's switch hori pad (nsw-001) and it was pretty great and the fighting commander looks pretty neat. maybe i'll look into something like that.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 18, 2021

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
mechanical keyboard :evilbuddy:

I actually used a stick for a long time, but I just got better results on keyboard, probably because I cut my teeth on indie pc shmups like Touhou or Kenta Cho’s games.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'm an arcade stick person myself, but yeah keyboards are actually good too if you can get used to it. You can have a pretty standard arcade button layout with them (vs gamepad mappings which may not always be that great) and the movement is probably the most precise way to move, if not necessarily the easiest to use at first.

If you want a gamepad it's hard to say since dpads and opinions vary so much. The old JP Sega Saturn one was pretty great, although some people feel they're garbage, and no clue how the newer reproductions and knockoffs compare. Otherwise what comes to mind is some fancy pricey Hori one (I want to say "fighting commander"?) with micro switch buttons and a clicky stick dpad thing.

(Wacky option would be those keyboard controllers like so, course kinda pointless on a PC where you already have a keyboard)

Edit: saw elsewhere DDP:DFK Switch is coming next week, 25th iirc

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

train yourself on gamecube ikaruga and afterward you'll be able to play on anything

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Eschatos is now on the JP Switch eShop for ¥3300. International and PS4 releases are still planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlpusRPNtFY

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'd like a wired controller that works for PC/360/PS4/Switch but I don't know if that exists.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

EightFlyingCars posted:

train yourself on gamecube ikaruga and afterward you'll be able to play on anything

no thanks, my hands are already busted from grappling and climbing.

bees x1000 posted:

I'd like a wired controller that works for PC/360/PS4/Switch but I don't know if that exists.

the playstation themed fighting commander from hori works on ps4/ps3/pc and you can use one of these to use it on the switch: https://www.brookaccessory.com/pro.php?m=d&pid=10323791

i'm not sure about the 360 though. i'd wager it might Just Work (TM) if you tried it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The new Xbox pads have a legit good dpad too. Proper clicky one unlike that mushy nonsense on the 360 pad.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Looks like this would cover a wired connection to PC/360/PS4/Switch? And PS5 should I ever get one?

https://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-Bluetooth-Controller-Converter-Connection/dp/B079B5KHWQ

So I'd just need to find a wired controller that I like.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

well i went ahead and used some amazon funbux i had laying about to get the fight commander. i'll report back once i've tried it out. hoping for a solid d-pad and comfortable hold.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Brook has converters for anything you can imagine so just get a good wired controller you like and use the required converters to make it work on everything else :)

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

The Kins posted:

Eschatos is now on the JP Switch eShop for ¥3300. International and PS4 releases are still planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlpusRPNtFY

Eschatos has an excellent flow to it that gets completely ruined by the final boss. EDIT: Not saying the game is instantly ruined, just that the final boss was somewhat underwhelming compared to everything preceding it.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 18, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EightFlyingCars posted:

I almost 1CC'd Ikaruga on it a few times :v:/:cry:

bees x1000 posted:

If you use a joystick you can replace the PCB with the Brook UFB which supports basically everything, including PS5 with the newer one iirc.

bees x1000 posted:

Looks like this would cover a wired connection to PC/360/PS4/Switch? And PS5 should I ever get one?

https://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-Bluetooth-Controller-Converter-Connection/dp/B079B5KHWQ

So I'd just need to find a wired controller that I like.
Almost. That one doesn't do PS4 but they have one that does:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Controller-Converter-Stick-Support-Controller/dp/B081V8G1YX

...but none of them do 360, so you'd need a separate adapter for that like the Brook ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ugh... so maybe a Hori PS4 Fighting Commander with a Brook Wingman to cover PC/360/PS4, and then continue to not play my Switch.