Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Just played Mushihimesama Futari for the first time over the weekend. Surprised myself by getting a 1cc clear on my first try... on novice mode. The novice mode in the game has a really great difficulty curve over the course of the game. Good for people like me that like these games but am not especially great at them.

I've also been playing Radiant Silvergun on xbla. It's very fun, but I end up dying more frequently than in Mushi because it's easier to get lost focusing on the enemies or parts of a boss you're shooting instead of on avoiding enemy fire. I am having a great time with it and will eventually make it through the first set of stages. I've made it to 3E a couple of times but always run out of lives there. I should probably do practice runs on the areas where I lose a ship pretty often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

Mushihimesama Futari is one of my favourites, the last stage is particularly amazing and I like how the difficulty scales up or down depending on how well you are doing. I fell like this makes it a lot less static then other shumps that have have a lot of their challenge tied into memorisation.

I'm sad because it looked like a sure thing for steam, but that all seems to have fizzled out and CAVE are no longer porting game to steam(?)

I didn't realize it scaled like that. That's cool. Does that only account for the Novice mode or does it do it on all difficulties?

I'm still doing a few attempts of Radiant Silvergun every few days. It's pretty tough even on Very Easy. I'm getting the hang of when to use which weapons but I still end up blowing up once on the dang zig zag hallways full of turrets. I might have to practice just that section a bunch until I can reliably get through it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

A bunch of the Psikyo Shooters are on sale on the Switch right now:

Down to $6.39 from $7.99

Dragon Blaze
Gunbird 1
Gunbird 2
Samurai Aces
Sol Divide
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 II
Sol Divide

Just remembered that I never bought the FlipGrip to play some of these with the Switch flipped vertically.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I didn't want it to have just a sole listing so I divided it into two listings.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

TENGAI, that's the one I should've listed at the end.

I've played a little of Gunbird 2 on the Dreamcast, which others of these are especially worth checking out?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Got my first 1cc on Gunbird 2. On lvl 1 difficulty "baby"... The step up to lvl 2 is pretty significant.

I can get to the final stage on level 2 but haven't made it through. It's a fun game.

I'm eyeballing Zero Ranger, Blue Revolver, and Dariusburst Chronicles in the steam sale.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

I picked up Gunbird 2 on a whim and goddamn that game seems hard as balls, I was too scrubby to get through to the end without cranking up lives and poo poo. I heard Gunbird 1 is a lot easier? I like Valpario a lot because his shuriken shot seemed to hit pretty hard. Are there any other Psikyo shmups worth it on Steam?

I ended up playing a bit on baby and can beat it pretty consistently there with the default lives/continues. Stepping it up from 1 (baby) to 2 (child) is pretty significant, so if you're playing on the default difficulty you might bump it down to see the game without blowing through lives.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I don't know what's happening in ZeroRanger but I like it. Music is great. I feel like I'm getting better but still have a few moments where I can't figure out how to get through without taking a hit. It also doesn't help that I keep thinking "oh, I should remap slow or autofire" and then in the moment I forget which button is slow and which is transform and I eat it. There's a part at the start of Stage 4 where a bunch of enemies do this clockwise wave around you and I always get hit when they come up from underneath while rotating. I could use the reverse fire option but I prefer the split shot in the front for a lot of the harder areas.

Also glad that there's finally a new checkpoint to start from after the boss gauntlet and then new music!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I need a little nudge in the right direction in ZeroRanger. I must be missing something.

Currently I can start from Stages 1 to 4 and 2-1 to 2-3. I finished 2-3 and afterwards the game put me back at the results screen.

Weapon wise, I have two options for each upgrade. It looks like I can get 3 for each but I don't know what would unlock those. I just got what looks like my final extra continue unlocked. This game is a lot of fun and the music is excellent. I'm definitely improving because going back and doing stages 1 through 4 was easy after getting a bit further.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

lets hang out posted:

you should show the 2-3 boss what you got from them the first time around

Oh duh, I did that the first time and got smoked and I guess on the second go I didn't use it at all.

Holy smokes, this is way harder than pretty much everything else. Getting absolutely wrecked.

edit: Got past that and this poo poo has gone off the rails and this new boss is a nightmare and is very aptly named. Good god. This boss is so hard that it feels like I've hosed up and it's actually literally impossible :(

Jolo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

1. Success! Elation!
2. Defeat
3. A new beginning