Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Oof.

Anybody got tips for the 1-5 boss? I've heard of a safespot for its opening attack, but I can't find it; I have seen decent success by trying to misdirect the attack to the right at first and dodge on the left side, and then vice versa. Then the little dudes come down, I sweep from the right to the left, and then go back, but I don't know how to dodge the bullets in that part. Then there's the big explosion missiles where you can sit right next to the boss and be safe, which I think I have down. But the attacks below 50% are a real mystery to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Yep, this is Dodonpachi. Great game. Lots of bombs, which as a bad player is very important to me. My stage 5 is still a fiasco but that’s okay.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Personally, I won't get excited until the opposite happens. I want the next Touhou game to star Reimu, Marisa, and that green helicopter with the adjustable shot.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

the best of the touhou games, “shoot the bullet,” has that structure— it heightens the series’ strengths and makes its weaknesses less relevant

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

mechanical keyboard :evilbuddy:

I actually used a stick for a long time, but I just got better results on keyboard, probably because I cut my teeth on indie pc shmups like Touhou or Kenta Cho’s games.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX2WJD2-tG4

I now hold the world record for this difficulty and shot type!

Mystic Square is a minor Touhou game but there is still some competition for scores, though not a ton. It's an interesting game because it's from before ZUN basically settled on what kind of shmup he wanted to make; it's still danmaku but you see lots of fast bullets and quick reactions, in comparison to the much slower games he released later. I enjoyed it a lot.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Dodonpachi has an autofire built into the game, though I think you need to get it into options mode to enable it.

In general, you use the shot to deal damage to a lot of enemies at once, and the laser to hurt single enemies with higher health. This varies a bit depending on whether you select a “shot” or “laser” type ship. The main advantage of the shot ships is that their shots deal more damage; the main advantage of the laser ships is that their lasers cover more area and the ship can move faster while firing the laser. As such, the laser ships often use their lasers even against normal enemies, sweeping the screen. Even the shot ships will use the laser against bosses and mini bosses, however.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQA9mEOCjwE

I first played DDP over a decade ago, so it is nice to finally have this clear under my belt.

But seriously, I can't believe I picked C-L by mistake and then achieved 1-ALL. What the hell. Strange experience.

I don't think I'm nearly good enough to get anywhere near 2-ALL anytime soon, and DDP's scoring doesn't appeal for me, so I will shelve the game for a long time now. But still, what a solid game. I even got the 1-4 lock!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

What would even be the point of uploading the hundredth 1-ALL to YouTube if I didn’t take the opportunity to give it a comically bad thumbnail?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCAwvOPq8qM

I got another 1cc! What a cool game. I have only played danmaku games in the past so it was certainly an adjustment, even though I don't think Flying Shark has a reputation as being difficult at all.

It's interesting how checkpoints affect a game like this. There's very much two routes you have to learn for everything: the "high power shot route" and the recovery route where you throw bombs everywhere in a desperate attempt to survive until you can get some more power.

How do people deal with autofire in older games? I wound up just setting up a 6-Hz autofire, since I figured that was about my max physical capacity for sustained shooting anyway, and I mashed manually when necessary. But it seems like the arcade community has settled on using any autofire you want, even 30-Hz. Is that accurate?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Yes, any level you want. I'd recommend having two autofire buttons for Flying Shark specifically - a slower one that minimizes gaps in between shots, and max (30hz) for point-blanking. Japanese arcade cabs have had customizable autofire circuits since the 80s (a little box with dial[s] that sits on top by the control panel). Some of the older westerner MAME devs consider autofire cheating, but they're full of poo poo, don't listen to them. These games are hard enough even without risking a RSI.

Oh, huh! I had heard that Japanese arcade cabs had autofire, but I had no idea it was customizable with a little knob. That's fascinating.

quote:

Maybe you'll check out the sequel, Fire Shark, next? The Japanese original is called 鮫! 鮫! 鮫! ("Shark! Shark! Shark!") and is basically Flying Shark but everything turned up to 11. It's one of the hardest games of its type. Like, legendarily difficult. The export versions called Fire Shark are a bit easier (no checkpoints, 2P simultaneous play, no horizontal panning [reduces being sniped by tanks etc just offscreen]), but they're not quite the real deal.

Hahaha, no way. I enjoyed Flying Shark, but I don't think I need an incredibly difficult version of it in my life. When I come back to Toaplan I'll probably play Tatsujin next, since everyone seems to like it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Anybody else play Hellsinker? I just started it earlier this week, and it’s kind of awesome, albeit very confusing. I would not have expected complicated move sets to work well in a shmup, but they do; it’s fun to use my different buttons effectively and dismantle enemies who would have dangerous patterns otherwise.

Plus, the way to my heart in a shmup is always through music, and Hellsinker has an excellent soundtrack with a lot of different unique songs. The soundtrack is arranged well with the game, too; the part of s3 (behind) where the stage theme segues into the normal boss theme is excellent.

I was surprised at how accessible the actual patterns are, too, but then I’m only to s7 and my understanding is the game has a ton of secrets, so this will probably stop being the case soon. The resource amounts are really excessive too, but similarly I think the game has rewards I haven’t seen for better survival play both in terms of scoring and in terms of more content.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Hellsinker 1cc (Adept)! gently caress yes! This game is awesome, everyone should play it. The large number of player mechanics expanded my idea of what a shmup could be; it's almost like the character action game of shmups. This does make it harder to get into a flow state, but it's still really neat.

The game does still have doujinitis: vague, floaty backgrounds without a clear sense of place, and too many resources. But it's still good, and the stages are still interesting enough to be fun (way better than Touhou). And the soundtrack is phenomenal, and is used well in the game itself; enemy and boss patterns are timed to the music in a way that makes it really satisfying to play.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

And here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2HP4yzZgdU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’ve always wanted to play Cosmo Dreamer, but… I think the main character of Like Dreamer’s design might be too ridiculous for me.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I think you are going to have a tough time convincing the poster who doesn’t like danmaku to buy more danmaku games. It’s probably good not to rule out early danmaku games like Donpachi, or games like Hellsinker which are only sometimes danmaku, but I think stuff like Cave’s later oeuvre is right out.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

If you can somehow swing a Japanese eshop account, I’d consider the Shark port collection. I enjoyed Flying Shark a ton, and I hear Fire Shark is just as good if not better, though it’s also fiendishly difficult.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I don't understand— I thought the final boss of SDOJ was Sans?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Happy buy hellsinker day to all who celebrate. You celebrate this day by buying hellsinker

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Fortunately, MAME is available worldwide.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

DrankSinatra posted:

Hey, these have Mac and Linux versions! Also the executable are all only a few megabytes. I'm really liking Twin Cobra, and I think I might like it more than Raiden, even.

Toaplan are legends for a reason!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I like tvruhh but be aware going in that it’s from the grindy, collectathon-y school of roguelike design.

Another good roguelike shmup is monolith (soon to be star of providence); it has arena shooter mechanics but the bosses all feel like shmup bosses.

And yeah everyone should play hellsinker obviously!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I think it’s more common than not for the score system to be kind of ignorable for light survival play. Dodonpachi is always a fun time.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

in hellsinker, you can safely ignore the scoring system, the other scoring system, and the other other scoring system if you're going for a 1cc, though it'd benefit you to pay some attention to the other other other scoring system in order to delay shrine as long as possible and get a refill on extends later rather than earlier

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I cleared ZeroRanger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17to5CtmeII

I started playing this after I finished Void Stranger, and it's a really neat game. Its strong points are (I think) its great sense of aesthetics and spectacle, and the variety of situations the game puts you in, combined with the various weapons. And the soundtrack is sick. My only real complaint is that there's not a good practice mode.

I can see why it's so well-regarded! As a 1cc it wasn't too bad. The game hands out a lot of extends, especially if you're low on lives, but there's no bomb so it doesn't feel absurdly generous. Since there are more extends later in the game, I found the most important thing to be practicing the late game. I could imagine the game's length could get frustrating if I failed a lot of runs.

I think I see the influence of Hellsinker on the game, too, both tonally with its themes of suffering, repetition and enlightenment, and in terms of the game providing you with a wide variety of situations to deal with. It's interesting how much ZeroRanger and Star of Providence have in common, given that iirc both groups of devs were active in the English Fraxy scene.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

drat seriously? I know hellsinker didn’t invent buddhism but I figured it did invent fighting a giant computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Yeah, there's a common misconception there. Bullet hell games look visually impressive with the domineering weight of fire they put onscreen, but they aren't necessarily any harder than "dad shmups". And it's a different style of game, so it'll take a little while to get used to it.