Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Denari
Dec 28, 2008
I still find myself playing this game for hours even while I curse at how slow it is.

If they had taken the time to optimize, fix, and document everything with this game I think it would go a long way to dragging new people towards the 4x genre.

I still remember finding out about the roll button in the original game a full two years after I bought it; and this one is full of 'features' like that that I am constantly figuring out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denari
Dec 28, 2008

Hav posted:

I'm still not sure what purpose 'spin' solves, unless it's to bring your strafe section to bear.

Hrm, as far as I'm concerned it serves several purposes although I may be wrong about everything!

1. Rotate your weapons so guns that are on cooldown are not in the firing arc and the ones that are ready to shoot can do so.

2. Expose different armor belts to missiles and the like. I find that this helps my survivability when I'm running at a planet shooting missiles at me. Every armor belt takes some damage instead of one taking a ton and destroying a section or the getting a critical hit.

Denari
Dec 28, 2008
I find that by the time you reach dreads shuttles are about at the limit of their usefulness.

By this time a fully loaded dread is pounding a planet hard enough that the loss of fire power from using shuttles is no longer worth the damage they do.

Denari
Dec 28, 2008
There should be under the special projects button in the research menu. It's really easy to miss so you might not have seen it.

Not that it matters, really! I've gotten the supernova even several times and it always blasts my homeworld.

Denari
Dec 28, 2008

Hav posted:

Nope, it's not there, or under salvage projects. I'll fire up the game save again tomorrow and recheck (sometimes they update the DB, but forget to pull state back into the UI, hence the ships moving when you come back from the battle manager).

Swarm Hives aren't the paragons of death they once were, unless I'm remembering my destroyer fleets being crushed. Surely most enlightened races in the whatever century would tend to gas the queen before she nested.

Sorry then, don't know what to tell you.

Maybe you could broadcast a message to your soon to be dead populations.
"While your deaths may seem meaningless and simply the result of laziness on the part of your government; know that the loss of your revenue will partially impact the construction of my next ship."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denari
Dec 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Awww it wasn't that bad. It was worth 99 cents. The stuff with the aliens was all interesting. Only the humans were boring and unbelievable. And the fact that it was mostly humans wasn't that bad.

But the fact that the Morrigi don't appear is UNFORGIVEABLE!!!!!! :argh:

There needs to be an option to declare war on Kerberos in the diplomacy screen. Even if it's an easter egg. Arinn Dembo didn't put Morrigi in her 99 cent novella? DECLARE WAR!

So, how far down the rabbits hole are we going here?

Are we graduating from published fan fic to Hiver on Tarka slash behind a pay wall to fund the next expansion pack?

• Locked thread