Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

DatonKallandor posted:

I give you Star Ruler, and Firgof is an awesome dude for being able to do what he did. On the other hand, it kind of fails the turn based test, which is a big appeal of SotS - keeping the real time micro in the battles, and the economy nice and unhurried. But Endless Space? You mean the game that is missing the game part? Where during Beta, everyone was waiting for them to implement the rest of the game (including any depth for the "combat system") - and then it just came out and they said 'done'?

So Kerberos was wrong on the time frame to fix it. By a lot. By a factor of 10 at least. More kudos to them for *still* sticking with it. Belittling the free expansion as "this latest patch" is insane. It's got more content (and that's hard content not the poo poo most DLC packs pull) than many other expansions - and it was free.

I don't see how their crowd funding was a failure when they've stated publicly that it's their replacement for a donation page - they don't wanna just accept money (and people are willing to give it) for nothing, so they give stuff, even if it's just a little low-cost roguelike to those people. But this whole thing is really just a sideshow and has no impact on SotS 2.

Also I find your whole "I'm so superior because I am claiming on behalf of everyone that the game is poo poo and will always be poo poo" shtick grating and condescending. You don't speak for me, nor does claiming to do so make you in any way noble.

I am very glad they decided to stick it out and finish the game, but that doesn't give them a pass for selling me a game, at full price, that was non-functional. I don't see how this is not a valid point.

*edit added the quote because I am slow.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

nessin posted:

It's a bug introduced with the hotfix on Friday.

Kerberos, a leading pioneer in hotbreaking.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I've been trying to invade a planet for a looong time now. I'm attacking it with multple fleets in one turn. Do I need a Colonization vessel to capture a planet? Not to mention the planet barely takes any damage from my assault and only seems to go back up to full on the next attack.

Not only that but when I just run through the auto resolve, My ships don't fire any missiles the whole time. This makes it so I have to manually fight every battle where I watch my ships shoot a planet for 5 minutes and get nowhere.

Any suggestions here?

Assault shuttles! Few things kill a colony faster than assault shuttles, I seem to remember that 10 of them do about 200 bazillion pop damage a run.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Any comment on the curious case of Lagash 3? It is there and yet not there... the PHANTOM PLANET.

Check your tact view next time your fight in the system. See if their is a space station at the center of the planet. They say they fixed this issue, but given how often things spawn in other things, I don't believe a god drat word of it.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

They're a counter to ships? I feel that is something to be legitimately mad about because A: I was denied phaser PD B: I was denied deflector shields C: the battle riders I brought along specifically to help with my seriously stressed fission-era point defense failed to work due to what is obviously a bug.

I'm pretty sure I don't even see a boarding section anywhere in the opposing fleet so I am also pissed about that. I'm pretty sure Zuul get free boarding pods like Morrigi get free drones, except Morrigi drones don't kill any dreadnoughts regardless of how many shots they may get.

Jesus christ they only kill one dreadnought per round is not an adequate defense of free boarding pods. What one command section can you think of that kills any dreadnoughts per round , no matter how many shots they get?

As a note I seem to remember that interceptor missiles and phalanx PD are the PD types you want to use to combat large things like torpedoes, planetary missiles, and boarding pods.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Fffffuuuuuuck! Kingfisher module uninstall!

Which way should I go in cybernetics? I haven't touched it because the initial techs seem high in research cost for trivial benefit.

Is everyone else at least experiencing the same problem with interceptor missile targeting? They do gently caress up everyone else's frame rate by launching a zillion interceptors at the slightest provocation? Right? Because I would be using the poo poo out of interceptor missiles if they didn't slow everything to a crawl.

Last time I used interceptors they worked fine for me, but that was pre EOF.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Xir posted:

I snagged SoTS 1 on the suggestion of the thread and so far it seems pretty fun. Anyone have any beginner advice or anything I can read to make me less abjectly terrible at the game? I was tooling along researching and colonizing until the Von Neumann showed up and used some sort of disintegeration beam on my ships. I don't seem to do any damage to them. I'm missing something obviously.

Solutions for common early game encounters.

VN: 5 green laser (or better) DE armors, fight manual, do not move from start location, focus fire the collectors as they come in, Leave the mother ship alone, do not auto resolve you will either lose or kill the mother ship which will lead to bad things later.

Swarm: If you want to fight it your self you need a lot of PD and good DPS on single large target (strafe, PD, engine) ships work well for this. You want at least high end fission tech, Auto resolve normal makes these fights go better, as it doesn't seem to calc PD(or rather the lack of PD) right. So you can just use high DPS armors.

Derelicts: fight manual, back fleet away until it doesn't shoot at you. One side of the ship part will be were it use to connect to the rest of the ship. Their are no guns on that side. If you time it right you can fly right next to the ship while staying in the gun shadow of the broken side. Then you can kinda peek around the side and fight one turret at a time. If you shoot off every turret you win and get a research bonus for a few turns.

Monitor: GTFO, manual resolve, run toward the planet and away form the monitor for about 1 minuet. Then click the run away button. Next turn research monitor control at (planet name) in the special projects menu, wait 50 turns now the monitor belongs to you.

Asteroids: Die, if you happen to have combat ships at the planet auto resolve will always work better than manual. However you will still likely lose this encounter.

Ghosts: Need to be fought with energy weapons, about any size fleet can win auto or manual as long as they have energy weapons better than red lasers.

Traps: Die, their are ways to beat them, but their never worth the cost or time give how randomly these go off.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 16, 2013

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Elem7 posted:

Think you may be overstating the strength of swarms a bit there, fastest way I've found to deal with them are green beamers or light emitters both of which can be had faster than PD, IF you get them and the both should be powerful enough to finish off the hive before time runs out.

Best way I know of to deal with Derelicts is photonic torpedoes, send in 6 torpedo destroyers supported by a few beamer/PD/emitter destroyers to shoot down the anti-matter torpedoes from the derelict. You can just sit there pounding away at the derelict from afar with the torpedoes, no need to worry about maneuvering around the spin of the derelict.

I have not had much luck with killing swarms with out PD or UVL level tech sense ARGO, when they redid the auto calc process and added the bigger fusion cannon firing swarmers. However I tent to play races who's ships are made out of toilet paper and loss. So that might be way I have a hard time with them.

Yah you can, but then you don't get the bigger research bonus, Also my way can be used to beat them turn 5 as long as you equip your scout ships with red lasers.

wdarkk posted:

The tomb trap is fairly persistent and can give you a bunch of money, so researching Morrigi language to disarm it is not necessarily a bad idea.

I seem to find them long before I find the Morrigi, so it always seem like a better idea to just lose three times and get them to Self Destruct then to dick with beating them.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 16, 2013

Hagop
May 14, 2012

^^^ beaten again.

DatonKallandor posted:

One of the first SotS 1 reviewers went on an on about how GalCiv 2 is so much better, while having worked on GalCiv 2 and being listed in their credits. That's gaming "journalism" for you - they're at a 1920s level of integrity.

By the way, another mini-SotS 2 patch. Supposedly fixed the fleet/reserve transfer CTDs.

To be fair SotS1 was not a good game at launch.

As I remember a lot of his complaints about SotS 1 were on the money. So much so that most of them would end up being changed in expansion packs or patches.

The guy certainly should have not reviewed SotS 1, or at the very least said he worked on GalCity in his review, but that review was not nearly as biased at SotS community remembers it as being.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 5, 2013

Hagop
May 14, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

The previous one? Argos Naval Yard. It was awesome. The before that? Murder of Crows. It was awesome.

They've hosed up SotS 2, but that's the only thing they hosed up - the entire patch and expansion history of SotS 1 is nothing but integrity.

I am guessing he means fort zombie.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Oh right I forgot about Fort Zombie. That one was a great idea terribly executed. Probably the first instance of Kerberos not listening to critique.

"That one was a great idea terribly executed."

Some one translate this to Latin. I think we might have found Kerberos new slogan.

Or maybe just

"One great idea terribly executed."

Hagop
May 14, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I never played vanilla SOTS1, but I hear a lot about how broken it was at release and tons of comparisons between it and SOTS2. I just find it hard to believe, because SOTS1 was their first release, and there's no way the company would still be around today if their first release was a SOTS2 quality game.

It was not SOTS2 launch buggy, it was more NV buggy, or really just about as buggy as SotS2 was at EoF launch.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Keisari posted:

There is no way in hell that the "confidential" thing isn't the Star Destroyer that's crashing all the time on SotS2 too! :allears: At least there is one thing in common. The Star Destroyer loving never works.

Really when you look at it, SotS2 took a over a year, and one expansion pack to get to the point the SotS1 launch at. This does not strike me as a good sign.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Chakan posted:

So then the OP is current? SOTS2 is buggy but playable right now? The expansion is worth it?

...not that I'll ever convince friends to get it, it took almost 4 years to get them together and sit down for a single game of Sins.

Last I new SP was viable but AI was incapable of running an empire, MP was still buggy as gently caress.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Hav posted:

Yeah, kicking out the plug will do that. Mysql4, though. Fun. Bizarre how they stopped tweeting 19 hours ago and didn't give any updates, though.

Hey look, Fort Zombie got 3.5 stars. Can't have been that bad.

Its not its just another example of "WOW this game could have kicked rear end, too bad it doesn't."

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Neruz posted:

SotS2: Those funny lil SA trolls

SotS2: Rage quitting the Kerberos system.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Whoever recently asked if The Pit is worth buying I would say yes. I liked FTL and DD and I am having fun with The Pit. It is however still a Kerberos game. Their are still bugs and wonky design decision, but it fills my "Welp I got 20 mins and nothing to do" game void well.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

Just tried this out again after a year, and while it has gotten a little better, I'm still amazed at the number of bugs. My favorite is that they block you from having numbers in save game names, but the game crashing if you try to make a save with a question mark in it.

Also, not sure if this is bad design, or I just don't know how to fix it, but I've had to happen three times now.
I'm playing hivers, and a system gets an incoming enemy fleet. It's only a survey fleet, and the system has a naval base and two planets with high population so it should repel easy. In combat, the enemy spawns right on top of my gate, which is still on the other side of the system from all my defenses. They kill the gate, then quickly get mopped up, but that system is still out of action for several turns. In SOTS1, gates in owned systems would be by the planets, is there any way to do that here?

I think you can place the gate in the System defense manager, maybe.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Q: Is SotS 2 worth buying?

A: Current SotS 2 value -2 USD:

If you can find some one who will pay you 2 or more dollars to own this game. Take the deal other wise avoid.

Check back in 2 - 6 months for a new SotS2 value assessment.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

sick trigger posted:

is the first SotS game worth checking out?

I would say that in its final state SotS1 is the best game in 4X. Unless you hate real time combat, or really love micromanaging things.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Well you gotta remember this has been happening since SotS 1. And possibly for as long as anyone can remember. If you live in a galaxy in which meteors just behave that way it wouldn't seem odd to you. SotSverse scientists probably came up with all sorts of explanations why meteor swarms are a completely natural phenomenon.

Not going to lie, it would seem like scientists would have picked up on the fact the meteors only swarm planets owned by FTL capable races, and only when their have been no other fights in the same system with in the last year.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Isn't 'bots' more FPS player lingo than strategy player lingo? Maybe he's trying to avoid addressing his points by insinuating that he's a generic Call of Duty player, and that the fact that he allegedly likes popular first person shooters obviously means he has horrible taste.

This is my vote as well.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

I am not so sure Mecron is the political master mind you make him out to be. He is just a supper sperging dude who lives in a fantasy world where saying bot makes you a super hardcore FPS fan. In this world FPSs are in fact directly responsible for the demise of all good video games. Any one who has ever played one clearly incapable of understanding good game play mechanics and would never find a 4x fun. So their opinion on SotS2 does not matter.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

I think Hivers aren't just burning away at full speed until they run out of fuel. They take that last year to use the last of their fuel to slow down to a stop.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

I guess they felt that the game could use more complexity. So they added some.

It wasn't a big success.

Another thing bugging me is the ghost ship. It was built. Then humanity lost the ability to use antimatter, to make LVs, DNs (you know, what it was supposed to crush), all the weapons on it, its engines, its sensors and even the technology to make the shipyard it was built in.

Black OPs R&D just don't do it.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

So how comes the goon patch of making the AI not suck, fixing research times, and turning off dumb randoms.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

As I remember you need either 100,000 or 1,000,000 pop per inf % point to get any use out of the inf.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Katsuma posted:

I used to play ACM, and I loved the huge diversity of weapons it brought to the table, but I never liked the massively inflated research times and increased racial restrictions on different weapon techs. Also, I hated the replacement ships for the humans. The models were simplistic and ugly, and the textures slapped on them were just flat grey panels with rivets and little else. Very uninteresting to look at.

This is true, but I like that the new are ships designed in a less retarded way. The whole fly at them bridge first thing always gets to me. I guess sticking your bridge on a big tower is not much better, but at least it traditional.

I also really like idea of removing the guns from command and engine sections. I just wish it was less we "got rid of some guns", and more of a "your mission section determines the layout of all of your guns". That way going faster would not gently caress with your gun arks which is one thing I find really dumb about SotS.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

If I remember it right ACM's ship design was just giving the Humans the Morrigi design style. Mission -> Command -> Engine was a Morrigi quirk.

As I remember they removed all of the guns form the engine sections, reduced the guns on the command sections, and sometimes added a few guns to the mission sections. Also I think the command section is only the whole middle part of DNs. On the DEs and CRs its just the tower, but I have not played ACM since like a little bit after BoB so I could be wrong.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Unless I am thinking of the wrong mod, this thing has been around since like BoB at least if not vanilla SotS.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Combat-Jack posted:

Someone else asked earlier in the thread if this game was finished enough for the 10 bux of the steam sale, but would guys recommend getting this or the first game for someone that likes 4x games, but plays them more casually. I like the idea of the planning, ship design, and most importantly a more real-time combat than, say, Endless Space. I really enjoyed Sins of a Solar Empire, and wanted something with a bit more strategic depth

The AI is still broken you CAN NOT get a good single player game going. There may be 10 USD worth of VS mp in the game now, but you need to con your friends into getting the game too, soooo yeah.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

He has a point - only a very small handful of devs are ever going to get multi-million kickstarter results. It's something reserved for a dozen or so superstars trading on years of goodwill in genres that are gigantic but had been declared small by publishers. Northstar would be effectively a new genre, and there's no way in hell Kerberos or anyone who isn't one of the big Dozen would get a million for kickstarting it.

Uber got 2 mill and all I ever hear about them is how badly they hosed up SMNC. Fairly sure KS can work for anyone as long as your pitch is good. Having a big name helps, but having a rocking pitch is all you seem to need to go the distance.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Does this ai patch plus DatonKallandor fixes managed to make an opponent out of the ai?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

The biggest problem with the Morrigi is that their weaknesses synergize into a poo poo storm of early game fail.

lovely climate hazard tolerances, plus slow scout speed, plus expensive ships means they spend forever trying to find usable planets.

Slow pop growth, plus poor income, plus expensive colonizers means its going take for loving ever to get return on investment for any of the planets they colonize.

All of that leads to a very spread out empire. which becomes hard as gently caress to defend give that their DEs and CRs are kinda lovely, expensive, and slow in small groups.

All in all I am fairly convinced Morrigi are the weakest race and will lose to anything that doesn't just let them go about their business for 250 turns.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Their scout speed is superb. For initial scouting, the pile of ERs going 2ly per turn is sufficient, and for long distance you can then reuse your ERs to make what basically amounts to a scout bomb. Throw a bunch of ERs, a tanker, and a gravboat into a blob and they will go 4ly/turn. Send them to some far away planet in a middle of a group of unexplored planets. Upon arrival, split off all of the ERs (which cost practically nothing) to scout and return the expensive tanker/gravboat for reuse. Upon finding a sweet planet, you can burn a blob of colonizers towards it at 4ly/turn. Being able to move at human node speed without following node lines is huge. You shouldn't colonize anything even remotely expensive until you have proper technology.

Its been awhile since I played SotS, but I seem to remember even using the scout ball, it ends up being slower and more expensive then the standard tanker scouting most everyone else uses.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Morrigi are also the best race for controlling large areas of space and being general dick birds about murdering fresh colonies. The aforementioned scout bomb can also function as a babby colony murdering machine. Upon finding a neighbor, you can use the annoying as hell ER parked just outside the system spies to detect potential colony fleets. If they send one unescorted, you can meet it with an ER blob and murder it the turn after they colonize, since a fresh colony dies extremely easy. Even defended fresh colonies can be sniped as Morrigi tactical speed is pretty good and you can just run your ERs up to the planet before they have a chance to kill them. Morrigi econ ramp up is terrible and real combat ships are too expensive so this is a great way to stunt other's growth to be as slow/slower than yours while you get trade. It also keeps them from having a nearby planet from which to launch offensives that would be horrifically expensive for you to repel. Basically you just have to leverage your superior speed and map visibility to be a space terrorist.

The issue with I have Morrigi is keeping my colonies alive. Defending that much space too costly and anyone reasonable will know that you can not afford to lose colonies as well as they can. So if I go on the offence hard it just seems to turn into a colony swapping match. Which is something Morrigi don't seem to win.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you get emitters you can easily contain anyone who doesn't have emitters until PD comes into play via the DE fleet destroying monster that is the light emitter drone. 12 ships killing 80 isn't a problem with them.

Emiters are great, but they work just as well if not better against Morrigi then they do for them.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That all said, you will still get destroyed by a well played Zuul, as they expand rapidly in all directions and have fast growing colonies that can be effortlessly replaced. Hivers will also become a problem unless you roll emitters as they begin escorting their gates after you kill the un-escorted ones, and Morrigi<>Hiver UV laser battles are extremely depressing from the Morrigi perspective.

EDIT: I miss good sots :( Too bad 2 is such an abortion of a game.

Liir: They always feel to me like Morrigi with out the handy caps. I can never beat a well played Liir as Morrigi.

Humans: Its a lot more random, but if you don't get lucky on node line layout they just zoom around the uni murdering your poo poo. You can do the same back to them, but your planets losses hurt more than their planet losses.

Hiver: Likely the Morrigi best match up. However that match up is supper depended on uni layout and tech rolls. Miss a few key techs or find that the side of uni that the Hive starts in has all your good planets and the match gets dicey fast.

Tarka: I don't know anyone that plays Tarka, but I would not be surprised to find out the their high power CRs and good all round speed stomps all over Morrigi.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's been ages but my experience as the Morrigi was that it's really important to play the diplomacy game and always convince people that you're the second most important threat. Having Zuul on the map is helpful for this.

Only works the first time if you play with a regular group, but yes the "Oh hi, this is my first time playing" is the best tool in the Morrigi tool box for pickup games.

*edit: I guess I should say that no one I played with played Zuul, or rather once we got to the point were picking Zuul meant a 3v1 game until you died meant that no one picked Zuul any more.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 1, 2013

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Keisari posted:

I don't think you can. We can also do a game the weekend after this one if we get more players then, I haven't booked anything there yet. I just want to know when people are available so we can get the biggest game possible. (Big clusterfucks are when sots is at it's best.)

Doing something on the weekend of the 4th is going to be bad for most US players.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

SotS2: Ai Layer Cake of Failure

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Mr. DatonKallandor, tear down this retarded AI!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Carcer posted:

If I can ask for a bit of SOTS 1 advice, what the hell should I be doing weapon wise with the morrigi? Actually, what should I be doing weapon wise for any of the races? I had some success with humans by going for torpedos as a stop gap measure before getting cruisers but things seemed to break down agian as most of the weapons that weren't missiles or UV laser's seemed sort of poo poo.

Help me shoot things better!

Morrigi:

GET THE gently caress OUT OF DESTROYERS!!

Morrigi DEs are terrible they are supper expensive and supper terrible. You NEED bio colonizers regardless of how the exterminate side of the game plays out and the bigger trade ships are also very helpful. So just bum rush Cruisers as fast as you can.

Morrigi get basically all the tech so do what ever you like playing with for weapons. I like laser/phaser/beam for my Morrigi CRs, but I am not sure that it would matter what weapon you decide to go with.

• Locked thread