Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Game strung me along with addictive spaceship tinkering for 40 minutes before crashing just before I could end turn 1. gently caress this game (again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I still think my idea for a new race's FTL drive is the coolest - a solar sailing species that has their FTL speed based on the star they're leaving. They would have to be able to colonize a wide range of planets to make up for this, but having a race with very different needs from what other people look at when they colonize would be interesting. 80 CH planet with a red dwarf - pass. 280 CH planet with a blue giant - grab it!

Unfortunately actually playing this game less fun than talking about it at this point.

Thanks to the thread I can actually run the game without it chugging now on my very nice new computer that can run the Witcher 2.

I attempted to start up a Morrigi game last night; that's the one that crashed just before I ended turn 1. It probably never even autosaved. I'm starting on Disk with 10 techs researched and research efficiency at 150% - any advice?

The station system seems to be the biggest WTF factor coming over from the old game. Fleets and missions I can wrap my head around, but the station menu is just so loving opaque I have no idea where to start. Every module is just a little clicker with no indication of how costly something is to build or what effect it will have. How many support modules should I build? Three? Twenty? No clue.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

(only get as many docks as your planet can/will produce goods for example).

... produce goods? What?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is the manual still completely lacking in detail except where it describes non-functional features? I tried reading it the week of the launch and it was like reading a manual for a game of space Diplomacy that bore almost no relation to the actual game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Counterpoint: fleet system.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've been getting a weird "white screen" event quite frequently where the game screen turns completely white and I get a message that "Intel Display Driver something something has failed." The game still works (I can still click the interface) but I can't see it. This has only happened with SotS 2. Restarting the game fixes it but I can't save the game if I can't see the screen so I lose that turn and it's annoying.

Anyone else encountered this? Or at least know a quicksave keyboard shortcut?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Found the source of the problem. SotS II was defaulting to my onboard graphics chip instead of my Geforce 660M. :doh: A quick trip to the Nvidia control panel to force the SotS II and Mars executables to use the GPU fixed it. No wonder the game was chugging on a nice computer! If anyone has encountered this problem, or is just dealing with low frame rate, check the graphics device the game is set to.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well I finally got into the game and I have to say it's... not completely terrible? The various systems are complex without being deep and that's an issue, but I've managed to at least play a game which is a huge improvement from before.

I've managed to get 70 turns into a Morrigi game with only four colonies (is that normal? that would be a shameful display in the first game) and my fleet upkeep is now almost half of my budget. I'm fighting a war with hivers and may have created too many warships.

Questions: Do I need a naval base for the rebase command? One of the reasons my expansion has been so terrible is that it takes so. loving. long. to explore in this game. And I'm exploring from the homeworld, 100% of the time, so my range is limited.

Do extended range mission sections do anything?

Early thoughts: They ruined Morrigi ship design. The cruisers are far too busy, they barely even have a clear outline any more.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh yeah I forgot that one of my starting colonies got meteor'd and rebelled for like 10 turns afterward. I checked later and realized I had a reserve fleet there. Why the hell wasn't the reserve fleet available for shooting the meteors?

Also why did my planet rebel when it got hit by a meteor? :psyduck:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait do patches break saves? If so I'm going to go play CKII some more.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rakthar posted:

Reserve fleets don't count for squat - they have reduced maintenance costs but are basically 'mothballed' and don't do anythinig. If you want to defend a system make it a normal fleet with an admiral and assign it to patrol the system - it will do that in perpetuity if it's based there.

Wait, wait wait. Hang on. If I want to protect myself from pirates (who have destroyed more than half my trade fleet) I need to have one admiral per colonized system?! And admirals are a precious commodity that the game hands out whenever it feels like it? AND I NEED TO BUILD A COMMAND SHIP FOR EVERY SYSTEM?! MECRON!!! :argh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So, basically, what I have learned so far is that I need to make a naval station and a command ship in every system to replicate even a part of the fleet functionality from the first game. :smithicide:

And civilization-ending meteor strikes are decennial events in the SotSverse. :suicide:

Make that yearly! :shepicide:

"Deathtrap has been struck by an asteroid storm..." at least I got the name right this time!

And the Hivers colonized it the same turn. Perfect. gently caress this game x3.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 8, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Which brings up another issue: when I press "upgrade station" in the station manager nothing happens. I don't actually know how to make a station bigger and the interface isn't helping.

Welp, my first obvious bug: looks like my ships are trying to attack a Hiver station that spawned inside a planet.

And thanks to the new quick battle system, they can't kill it even through quick battle! And now I can't recolonize Deathtrap. Super great.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 8, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stations are definitely spawning inside planets, I just lost a slaver raid because the defending stations were inside the planet.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Game design issue: is it just me, or does the prototyping mechanic punish the player for using one of the game's most entertaining features? I have a line of battle bridge|armor|void cutter cruisers with fusion weapons coming online and I realized that, while I could try out blazer cruisers, one prototype will cost as much as 5 fusion gun cruisers. I'd like to try out a variety of designs (because designing your own ships is a core feature) but the prototyping "feature" punishes me for that. It would be more optimal (and far less fun) to not even try blazer cruisers because I'm fairly sure those fusion guns will be enough.

Also thanks for the station tips, I kinda wish the game would mention stuff like what the hell that bar meant.

I notice that, a year after launch, the empire budget is still a color-coded pie chart... and there's still no color key. It doesn't take long to guess which is which but still, come on guys.

:negative:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eliza posted:

I have found that boarding shuttles still have the ability to take over stations stuck in planets. Don't ask me how it works.

Well, I guess this is now the only way to take a system that has even one station in it!

Good times, good times.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stations spawning inside planets means that I can't conquer (glass and recolonize) any systems that have another empire's station now, right? Is there any point to playing the game in its current state? War is broken.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Boarding pods bounce off the planet; I cannot in fact conquer systems and thus the game is not really playable to completion right now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Kerberos employee mentioned this will be fixed "next update" it's funny that this appears over and over in their patchnotes, yet it can't be that complicated to code. What are they smoking over there? Now I'm honestly glad I stayed away from the game this long.

That said, I'm starting to get the hang of it and while the game is slooooooooower than the first one it's not completely terrible.

I really wish there was a quick battle feature because then I could get at 90% of what's good about this game without doing the other 10% that takes 95% of your time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I haven't played since yesterday but I have yet to have a station get stuck in anything.

Please send me your SotS II folder TIA.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hmm yeah one station making a system unconquerable doesn't really count as "war is broken" I guess since you almost never have to build stations in this game. Really it's not a big issue, I guess I can just work around it. Kerberos has really earned my sympathy and if I want to play their game I guess I should just soldier past the crippling bugs (which I now realize are not crippling thanks to your helpful comment) until they get around to fixing them. With their customer service record I'm sure they'll rush out an update by Monday.

:frogout:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait, what? Spinal mount drones?!

I think I may have to research advanced drone frames after all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any way to deal with the extremely lumpy way they implemented buy-as-you-go payment? It's nice I guess to be able to queue things without paying for them immediately, but it leads to my expenses jumping around wildly. I assume this is "the player's fault" technically like many of the issues with this game, but how do you guys work through it?

It would be nice if they simply took the average build payment per turn and smoothed things out the way a real economy would (via loans and repayments) but of course real life isn't realistic enough for Kerberos. If they did that then it would be really easy to see whether you were buying more than you could afford per turn. But making the player do it in their head or on paper or check back to the budget screen every time they want to queue up a new construction fleet is certainly a solution I guess.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Police Cutter Supremacy!!!

Dammit they really are loving up aren't they? They tried to do the CD Projekt RED thing of offering an Enhanced Edition with free content to pull in customers after a well-publicized rocky launch. The thing is, you need the game to work correctly for all those players you pull in. Otherwise they have the same lovely experience or you just get hit with worse word of mouth and the franchise suffers.

Who am I kidding, they're desperate for money and beyond caring about the franchise right now.

Serious question: was there EVER a good time to come back to this game? Or has it been an unbroken series of bad times since the launch to now?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bwahaha, I decided to give it a try and it crashed on the main screen.

I went back and I can confirm that pirates hang the game now.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 12, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm getting mad missile kited by some Hivers. Is there any way around this or do I basically have to have a tech advantage to engage missile ships?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah playing as Morrigi knowing how the gently caress to use my 30% racial bonus (just guessing from the previous game because I haven't found the explicit number!) would be pretty cool. I'm at around turn 100 and my trade income is still only about 1/6 of my total income, by this time in the first game it would be at around 1/2 in a successful Morrigi game.

Thanks for the advice on PD, I will try setting the PD to ripple fire or spread fire. I don't know if it's true of all the races in the new game but standard Morrigi PD coverage is pretty great. The only blind spot is just between the engines on the dorsal rear.

The real problem is that I'm trying to take down a developed system, and my PD can't handle approaching the planet and defense ring and tanking a missile fleet at the same time. I have a fleet of heavy drone cruisers moving to the front now so hopefully they will put a stop to that. I do like the way the new combat system lets you fight three battles per system per turn, so you can actually put more than 12 ships in a system in a meaningful way. It would be a bitch for multiplayer though.

I'll also try deflector shields when I get around to it, but that means research and prototyping. If the Hiver ships are anything to go by the deflector shield is shaped better this time around. I actually should get on that; the Hivers have finally evened out the tech advantage by researching AP drivers and managed to wipe out one of my fleets in a close range brawl. One of my more competent fleets got a better position and wiped out that fleet in turn, but I can't rely on fusion guns doing all the heavy lifting any more.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So the gameplay takeaway is that there's no good way to tell whether you have enough freighters, or see what they're doing. You have to either have a godlike understanding of the poorly documented trade system and calculate storage times and freighter trips in your head (and you can't control those trips) or just build a lot more freighters than you have goods and hope. The trade display that, while frustrating in the first game, was easy to understand, now does not accurately represent whether you have enough freighters. Great.

How do trade stations figure into this? Some of the freighter icons on my trade view are yellow, and some are white. Some of the goods are green and some are white. I have no idea what this means. Also I don't know what imports are. Do I need to have 1 dock to connect each freighter route or something?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do I make my stations use modern weapons? They look like they're still rocking heavy drivers.

Also, are some systems just prone to meteor strikes? Deathtrap Colony has been hit by meteors five times now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Really wish they would bring back the automatic repair function.

The RNG in its infinite wisdom denied me deflector shields. Setting my PD to spread helped but it's not really enough. I found the hiver homeworld and holy poo poo missile spam brought my computer to its knees like I haven't seen since SotS ~Prime~. It also sent my fleet packing with their tails between their legs.

The computer has developed a super-annoying tactic: boarding-pod rush the command ship. The PD can't take all of them down fast enough and no matter how the rest of the fight goes (it only works once) my fleet gets converted into a Retreating Ships container and skedaddles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How are you supposed to handle long-range sensor coverage in this game? In the first game I would park single Deep Scan ships out in deep space. In this game that is flatly impossible. My stations's sensor coverage is pathetic and I often feel like I'm playing blind. The best I've managed so far is sending a whole explorer fleet (a huge waste of resources) from one end of my empire to a system near the other side of my empire so I get to see a slice of what the people on my borders are doing each turn, then cancel the mission so they fly all the way back.

It's a huge pain and not even very useful, and costs a lot of money. How am I supposed to see my opponents?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nessin posted:

I'm pretty sure there are is a tech or two in Psionics that can do that, but what is the problem with building up a station with sensor modules on your planet closest to them or putting a single command ship with a deep scan section on patrol in a nearby system?

It's not good enough? That's the problem. I'm used to extensive sensor coverage; stations with sensors can maybe see one or two other systems.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay, regardless of design intentions, is there a good way to get sensor coverage or at least like 20 light years around my territory? Because what I'm hearing is that I once again literally need several fleets and stations to replicate the functionality of a handful of ships from the first game. I can get used to it but urrrgh.

I think one factor that is magnifying this problem is that the SotS 2 UI forgets system information as soon as you lose sensor coverage. In SotS you could "survey" an area and the starmap would remember the state of the galaxy at the time you saw it. Even if your sensor coverage wasn't great you could get a good idea of the state of the galaxy at a glance.

Now the UI just straight up refuses to provide that information, even when there's a colonized planet represented by a dot above the system, the system doesn't have its bright, easy to see empire tag unless you actually have eyes on it. Which I think is stupid but I'm obviously still learning the game.

Is this at least one of those UI features that you need to turn on through research.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow, you guys were right about putting the command ship out of the way. It's almost like the command ship is irrelevant to combat. And therefore also irrelevant to everything else.

But Kerberos wouldn't keep an old mechanic around when they put in a new mechanic, that might cause conflicts and game mechanics that no longer make sense.

(Come to think of it, the first game would have gotten by just fine without command ships as well. I never thought of it before.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Hivers and Humans I'm fighting both have a serious lack of good PD, so I'm having a whale of a time with the good 'ol Morrigi drone cloud strategy.

Who here is actively playing the game? I'm still on my first game fumbling around. I don't even have dreads yet.

edit: Or at least trying to actively play the game? Suddenly my game is chugging badly. It took 30 seconds just to get to the main menu and I'm getting like 5 fps there. Was there another update?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 15, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:sigh: just made another one of those mistakes that shouldn't be possible: assigned a construction fleet to defend a system with two combat fleets on patrol.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You have to remember to select a combat fleet in the pre combat screen otherwise it just picks whatever one is first in the list.

Yeah this is bad (not terrible) UI design. The game could select the fleet it thinks is most appropriate.

The real problem is that the game doesn't track whether you've viewed each upcoming battle before you hit okay. It's waaaaay too easy to accidentally hit OK before you've actually done the 100 separate actions you should do in the pre-battle interface in a turn with four or five fights. (That's not an exaggeration, if each meaningful click is an action then preparing for one action-heavy turn is easily 100.)

I'm so glad the game autosaves every three seconds because of this. Mis-clicks are just horribly easy and very consequential in the battle manager overview screen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

But really, an auto-selector that will never get it perfectly right is a waste when there's already an option to set default fleets - and it's not like manually selecting fleets is a complicated process.

Before you hurt yourself on your lance and charger, remember I said the real problem is the game doesn't track whether you've looked at a pre-combat screen before you hit okay. That's how you get construction fleets defending a planet in the first place.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I know this is a common 4x complaint, but how can I stop freeloaders from swooping in on a recently cleared system and grab it out from under me? I just lost a Hiver system to the Tarka because I had to survey it before the game would let me colonize or build a station. Meanwhile they no doubt already had surveyed it a while back (because they aren't at war with the Hivers) and slipped in a naval outpost about ~2 turns after I cleared the system.

The Tarka actually have a naval base in one of my heavily developed systems. I have no idea how it got there since it certainly wasn't there when I colonized. It's really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What do you guys think pirates add to the game, if anything? I have literally never had a patrol fleet save a freighter even when they're around.

• Locked thread