Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So here's a weird request for anyone who's got this installed right now: can someone go check for me if it's possible to modify faction colors, and have those faction colors then appear properly both on the starmap and on ships in the battlemap or the shipbuilder weapons test thing?

This thread on the official forums supposedly explains how to do it. It's really simple, as the only thing you gotta do is edit one xml file.

Can't check myself, as I'm holding off on buying this till the EE goes on sale, because it's still SotS2 we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Neruz posted:

(Incidentally because the Loa don't get Cutters they have no easy way to prevent piracy. Fun!)
Well that's a bummer. Is there any way to change that just by modding the XML files?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Would you guys say this game's worth $10 yet?

I'm into the genre, enjoyed SotS1, and dig the lore. I understand the game's rough around the edges and the studio's populated by egomaniacs of dubious competence, so I'm expecting to encounter some frustration and weird design decisions. I'd probably give it a pass for now, however, if I heard it still has showstopping bugs (like those bases inside planets...) or crashes frequently.

Also, I've been browsing the wiki trying to get a sense for how moddable the game is, and I came across some stuff I don't quite understand, especially on this page.

quote:

OverharvestFromPopulationModifier 20.0 The amount of resources consumed by the population when a planet is at its maximum population
OverPopulationPercentage 0.5 The percentage of the max population that determines if the planet is overpopulated and should consume resources
Is inevitable overharvesting an actual thing in vanilla now?

I also came across this Super World entry, with this line at the end: "There is a downside to Super Worlds however. Gem worlds destroy resources and some biosphere due to population. Forge worlds have less population and destroy more biosphere in order to gain their size." Are those one-off penalties, or are they per-turn, sort of like the overharvesting mentioned above?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly it gets tiring hearing the same think you do from the Kerberos forums: just play the game differently. Okay, but the way I'm doing it now doesn't work because the two things I already tried are bugged. It's super frustrating.
Sure, but you're hearing that because people are trying to brainstorm solutions more useful than "poo poo's hosed, uninstall", and not because they're sneering bootlickers.

If it's any consolation, your Arglesaga is giving me serious reservations about picking this up before the sale ends. I'll still probably do that to myself, because I'm bad with money and into both the genre and the game's weird lore, but holy moly I really shouldn't

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
SHODAN from System Shock, I think

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It might be a beta patch, but isn't that an issue that affects the live game as well? I think I remember people complaining about the AI fielding fleets at, like, turn 300 that were armed with starter weapons, which would certainly suggest that there's no research happening

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DatonKallandor posted:

One of the first SotS 1 reviewers went on an on about how GalCiv 2 is so much better, while having worked on GalCiv 2 and being listed in their credits. That's gaming "journalism" for you - they're at a 1920s level of integrity.
Well no, that's your imagination for you.

None of this is ancient history: Tom Chick's SotS 1 review is still up, and it remains a fair, if negative, assessment. It never even mentions GalCiv 2, let alone how much "better" it is.

You can also, without breaking much of a sweat, find the author's rebuttal to this nonsense here. You'll also find a fair bit of evidence of slimy behavior...on the part of the Stardock CEO (to the surprise of no one here).

quote:

Cirulis’ insinuations via email, first through his hired PR agency to my editors and then directly from him to me, have been insulting. He’s questioned my integrity and made cryptic remarks about resorting to “other venues” to resolve the issue. It reminds me of his other attempts to mute negative opinions. Cirulis bullied Worthplaying into revising a skeptical preview and then running a new preview written by one of his personal friends. After the demo for Sword of the Stars was released, critical posts and threads were routinely removed from Kerberos’ message board and people who didn’t like the game were banned. Posting as “mecron”, Cirulis dismisses complaints with accusations of “GalCiv2 fanboy”. Or “manual writer”.

DatonKallandor posted:

No having been paid to work on a competing product is pretty much the definition of conflict of interest. Even if it was a small job, you should have the integrity to say "I can't review this because I've worked for a competing product".
This is just being willfully obtuse, and is akin to saying a movie reviewer can't work that year if he had a walk-on role in some B-movie. They weren't competing products, and a conflict of interest issue would only have arisen if he'd reviewed GalCiv2, which he didn't.

Edit: now that I think about it, that example is particularly apt here, since Tom Chick also writes film reviews, despite being an occasional actor. Christ, I'd better get my pitchfork and torch, this joker's gotta go...

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 6, 2013

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DatonKallandor posted:

The movie comparison doesn't really work because movies don't directly compete in the same style games do. And of course the games media is hilariously corrupt at the best of times (getting what amounts to paid vacations from publishers to "see the new game", and of course massive Ad revenue blackmail, etc.), so yeah, I think he should not have reviewed it.

Nephilm posted:

Yes, spending 20 bux at the movies for the weekend or buying a DVD is completely different from spending 40 bux to buy a new videogame to play in your spare time for the next few weeks. Or in this case, the next 8+ months.
They most certainly compete if they're in theaters at the same time, which is presumably the point you're trying to make with video games: if they're both on the shelf, and I'm staring right at them, then they're fighting for my money. This would be relevant if not for the half year's time that separates the two releases. Six months, almost to the day. It's a lot of time, dudes.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Wait a minute...that marine's missing wife is the scout's sister!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

UncleSmoothie posted:

The SotS lore is the best thing they've got going. If they could get somebody else to build the games in their universe, they'd be straight.

I saw The Pit pop up on Steam and I'd actually love to buy it. The idea of a roguelike in the SotS universe is actually really appealing.
Yeah, it's an interesting pitch, but try the demo first, see if it actually does anything for you.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Count Uvula posted:

I before E, motherfucker!
Also K before I :v:

Hopkinites are a reference to these little critters. There was some thread on their forums showcasing some of the monster animations, and if it nothing changed, then the Flatwoods monster should be in the game as well.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is there still noticeable slowdown between turns or while opening menus? If it's present, does the mod (somehow...) cut down on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodly posted:

I want to understand this quote. I'm not familiar with 'Space Harpoon'. I've played the mod a few years ago, so I suppose I can guess, given how ridiculous the first few missions were. But I'd like to hear it from your mouth. Can you go into more detail?
Harpoon is a pretty grognardy series of naval wargames. Matrix games is their publisher nowadays; that should give you a sense of how niche it is

• Locked thread