Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can put mining stations around asteroids with mining, and you can drop naval bases in systems without colonies.

We need a list like this for all the crazy research technologies that aren't clear in their function. For example, every tech in the whole tree because their tech tree is terrible and doesn't explain very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Taerkar posted:

It also leads to the battle rider satellite, though that one costs 3 cap to place, not 1.

Is there any way to get more cap?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Is there anything approaching a how to play guide at this point? I'm basically curious about how I should be starting a game as a Blissful and Perfect Space Dolphin. I generally just send my fleets off to do stuff and get my trade infrastructure set up ASAP, then start building more colony/survey fleets while researching productivity upgrades.

I generally start with 10 techs because gently caress researching basics like trade and interstellar chatmakers or whatever.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I can't think of silly UI unlocks like there were in Sots1 at least. Before it was patched in, there was no way to chat to eachother in multiplayer unless you had researched race languages.

Regardless I'm sure Mecron has some lovely reason that he could relay in a condescending tone as to why trade is something that must be researched.

We should be glad he gave us a starting option to skip it.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Rakthar posted:

The OP has a bunch of links at the bottom like a starting guide, a video multiplayer game, a let's play. They're all fairly recent and good to get started. Here's the three that I found useful

Starting Guide from Nov 29:
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37699

Rorsach Let's Play:
http://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/one-year-later-lets-play-sword-of-the-stars-ii.3889/

Video Multiplayer game - skip to 16 minute mark
http://www.twitch.tv/terrakus/b/337003914

Thanks for these. I actually read one of the startin guides in the OP but it actually sounded kind of insane so I wasn't sure if it was reasonable or not. Let me dig through these some more and maybe I can generate some more specific and maybe even useful questions.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

So I played a bunch this weekend, maybe 12 hours all told, a bit of multiplayer and a bit of singleplayer. My multiplayer game only got to about turn 45 before we ran out of time, but my single player game I made it to turn ~100 before I started having too much trouble with rebellions and called it quits. I'm pretty sure I was doing something dumb like having a war without having enough protection fleets or something, and a couple of meteor strikes didn't help maybe?

Anyway, aside from the stations spawning inside the plantes bug, everything else seems to work as intended? Hopefully the next update will fix the station bug and then I'll be able to actually finish a game for the first time ever!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There are a variety of ways to kill it very quickly regardless. Massed torpedoes or pods being my favorite.

It would also appear that stations have decided to once again orbit their systems. Guess I'll actually play some more.

The station fix isn't even listed in their update thread. What the gently caress guys.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

NiknudStunod posted:

so I am giving this game another go after shelfing it for a year. I jump into the chat channel in game to ask some questions and find that its nothing but neckbeards argueing about the political scene in europe and how america is loving over the world. Needless to say I didn't get any answers

Join #sots2 on synirc. It's not super busy but Keisari and Mistervec have been incredibly helpful when I've had questions. I'm usually in there off and on during the day and can try to return the favor by helping another hapless noob!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Neruz posted:

Freighters absolutely do make trips between systems. I'm looking at one right now that is in-transit between my home system and an outer system and it's one of mine so it's not a civvy one rebasing.

I have never ever seen that. I played 100 turns with 10 freighters running around my home province and never spotted one between systems as they were all imperial.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

:sigh: just made another one of those mistakes that shouldn't be possible: assigned a construction fleet to defend a system with two combat fleets on patrol.

Fortunately the game autosaves before the end of the turn. You can just load up the autosave and take a mulligan.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Caecitas posted:

good question wdarkk, but no, it isnt.

I picked the game up some 4 days ago and have so far no saves atall to speak of.

Wait, you mean to tell me that your game of sots2: Extreme Stability Edition is crashing?

Seriouschat: Zip up the save game and upload it to their support forum with the steps to reproduce.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I guess I have to give up on forcing surrender and just build two or three void blade assault shuttle fleets. It's kinda bullshit; I've gone through almost the whole energy weapon tree and researched forcing surrenders (which I guess doesn't work?) and I still have to resort to a turn 1 tech to clear planets. It's neat how energy weapons burn off the atmosphere and biosphere or whatever, but they really need to do it at a rate which doesn't leave the planet a dead ball of rock with half its population still living there.

I believe the tech you're looking for is called "Eclipse." Is that the on you've researched?

Also just exterminate them and glass all their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Tomn posted:

Is anyone else having problems checking up on their forums? I wanted to see the e-drama for myself, but I keep getting 404s.

Maybe they couldn't afford their DNS renewal?

Sadly godaddy is not showing kerberos-productions.com as available, that would be the greatest opportunity this thread could bring.

Edit: Expires Jan, 08, 2014. Damnit!

TehSaurus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 28, 2013

• Locked thread