Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BallsBallsBalls
Jun 2, 2017

BallsBallsBalls fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
I have a college degree, but I'm in a bad job. Will getting a LPIC 1 land me a good job with no prior it experience?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Breaking into the industry on the Linux side is crazy and will be really loving hard. You're much better off working with a more approachable skill like networking, get some experience, and work your way over to Linux.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

His Purple Majesty posted:

I have a college degree, but I'm in a bad job. Will getting a LPIC 1 land me a good job with no prior it experience?

I'd imagine Rackspace would take you with LPIC1. The good news is, once you're on-board everyone gets RHCSA and optionally RHCE. The bad news is: you'll have to be in or move to Austin or San Antonio, but I think they're pretty good about helping with relo.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

BallsBallsBalls posted:

Thanks for all of the info guys.

I think my plan is going to be knocking out the SEC+ asap and finishing up my AS degree while looking for jobs.

Another question would be which WGU degree option to go with? They have the IT-Security and the newer Cyber Security and Information Assurance options that peak my interests.

If you're looking for career progression with DoD, look at the approved baseline certs and focus on what you'd like to do: http://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspx

I never converted my A+ or Net+ over the CE, but took my Sec+ on March 7th, which coupled with my clearance landed me 2 offers less than a week later.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

How does one "get clearance" if you've never worked for govt.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I honestly didn't know Sec+ was worth anything. I got mine for work a year ago and it wasn't that hard.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

FCKGW posted:

I believe you can basically apply to have the security check done on you. Know that this can take a while if you've never had one done before.

e: Nevermind the answer is below. Works a little different north of the border.

Peachfart posted:

I honestly didn't know Sec+ was worth anything. I got mine for work a year ago and it wasn't that hard.

I still wasn't aware it was worth anything. I lumped it with A+ and stuff in my head.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Get a job offer from a contractor/government contingent on being awarded a clearance. They won't even do the investigation if you haven't been offered a job. I'm in the National Guard, so that's where mine came from.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

I think A+ can be renewed with Network+ and that can be renewed with a Security+. So it's three times as good as an A+ and twice as good as a Network+. :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BTW I just got accepted to WGU BS-IT Sec with 50% transferred in so I should be scooping up some certs real soon.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

MJP posted:

Anyone in the Stanly VCP6 course going on now? Real fun re-doing everything because I couldn't find a place doing the What's New course for cheap and thus lapsing my VCP5. :-(

I'm doing the course this session as well. I haven't played around in VMware in a long time... I need to stop implying that virtualization through HyperV and VMware are similar. This poo poo is obtuse.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Someone calling VMware obtuse relative to Hyper-V is certainly a new one.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

big money big clit posted:

Someone calling VMware obtuse relative to Hyper-V is certainly a new one.

LOL yeah, though microsoft is getting better about it, 2008r2 was a shitshow, 2012 is a bit better, and 2016 seems even better but I haven't played around with it in a while. The biggest issues I've run into are domains that have upgraded from previous versions, if it wasn't such a pain in the rear end to start from scratch it would be best to do a fresh install of 2016 instead of upgraded from 2012r2.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I finished my VMware VCP-DCV cert and I'm getting annoying emails from Acclaim about claiming my "badge". Can I ignore that or do I need that to complete the cert?

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

Keith Stone posted:

I finished my VMware VCP-DCV cert and I'm getting annoying emails from Acclaim about claiming my "badge". Can I ignore that or do I need that to complete the cert?

Acclaim badges are these things. They're completely optional, but Acclaim will bug you to death if you don't claim it. Happened to me with my CTS when InfoComm partnered with them.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Posture Pal posted:

Acclaim badges are these things. They're completely optional, but Acclaim will bug you to death if you don't claim it. Happened to me with my CTS when InfoComm partnered with them.

I will say that once I had my Acclaim badge for CISSP posted on LinkedIn, my recruiter contact requests shot through the roof.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone go through ISC2's CCSP? Wondering what that material's like. Work is sending me to a class later this year but I'm trying to recon as much info as I can beforehand.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Solaron posted:

I will say that once I had my Acclaim badge for CISSP posted on LinkedIn, my recruiter contact requests shot through the roof.

More than just having the letters "CISSP" on your profile for searches to trigger on?

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not sure if home labs have been brought up here. I bought one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/250930267864) with 3 routers/2 switches for studying for my ICND1/2. Did I get a good one? I've been using pearson/cisco press/PT but from what I read having actual hardware should make the studying process easier.

It has open slots so if anyone has any recommendation on an extra switch or better router or whatever, please enlighten me.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 19, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Not sure if home labs have been brought up here. I bought one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/250930267864) with 3 routers/2 switches for studying for my ICND1/2. Did I get a good one? I've been using pearson/cisco press/PT but from what I read having actual hardware should make the studying process easier.

It has open slots so if anyone has any recommendation on an extra switch or better router or whatever, please enlighten me.

It's usually cheaper just to buy the equipment piece by piece. A Cisco 2600 router runs like $35 a pop and is fine for CCNA purposes.

Having a lab is good, but I wouldn't say it's completely necessary for a CCNA. I passed mine just fine with packet tracer because I live in a broom closet and didn't have space for a lab.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 19, 2017

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

fordan posted:

More than just having the letters "CISSP" on your profile for searches to trigger on?

Yeah, those 2 things happened around the same time so it could be either one. I think Acclaim just is a good way to verify that you aren't just saying 'Oh, CISSP? Yeah I have that, sure do'. Not sure if that's even a problem.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

It's usually cheaper just to buy the equipment piece by piece. A Cisco 2600 router runs like $35 a pop and is fine for CCNA purposes.

Having a lab is good, but I wouldn't say it's completely necessary for a CCNA. I passed mine just fine with packet tracer because I live in a broom closet and didn't have space for a lab.

Yea I figured it would be a little cheaper but this seemed more foolproof for a first lab purchase. PT was been fine for me too but I'm not lacking in funds/space so I'd rather just make this as easy on myself as possible.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

We also have a home lab thread, although it's pretty dead. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561669 Replying to it usually stirs up some activity for a while though.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

rafikki posted:

We also have a home lab thread, although it's pretty dead. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561669 Replying to it usually stirs up some activity for a while though.

Ah, I'll take the discourse over that a way then. Thanks for the heads up.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I asked our Security consultant about his recommendation for training in all matters security, and his recommendation was SANS. These courses are $5K USD each, are they actually worth that? There is a training budget, but I'd have to make a good case to get them to spend that much on individual courses.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I asked our Security consultant about his recommendation for training in all matters security, and his recommendation was SANS. These courses are $5K USD each, are they actually worth that? There is a training budget, but I'd have to make a good case to get them to spend that much on individual courses.

I think the general consensus is yes. It's extremely high caliber training and sometimes in topics that really aren't offered anywhere else. For a first one, I'd look at the classes for GCIA and GCIH.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Doug posted:

I think the general consensus is yes. It's extremely high caliber training and sometimes in topics that really aren't offered anywhere else. For a first one, I'd look at the classes for GCIA and GCIH.

Definitely agree here. SANS courses are highly-regarded - the biggest hurdle to getting them at most places is budget (my management goes back and forth between if we're allowed to go, just because we can find courses from Global Knowledge or something for half the cost). I've heard really great feedback from people who go, including the events and activities that happen after the classroom / labs during the day.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Solaron posted:

Definitely agree here. SANS courses are highly-regarded - the biggest hurdle to getting them at most places is budget (my management goes back and forth between if we're allowed to go, just because we can find courses from Global Knowledge or something for half the cost). I've heard really great feedback from people who go, including the events and activities that happen after the classroom / labs during the day.

This a good point too.. DO NOT do on-demand. The cost is the exact same, but the experience is greatly degraded. If at all possible, travel to the SANS event. If it's just not possible, do the vLive simulcast thing. If that doesn't work, save your money.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Doug posted:

This a good point too.. DO NOT do on-demand. The cost is the exact same, but the experience is greatly degraded. If at all possible, travel to the SANS event. If it's just not possible, do the vLive simulcast thing. If that doesn't work, save your money.

Oh, that's super-good to know, because I was going to do the on-demand since travelling isn't doable. I'll see the logistics of the vLive.

Edit: wow, they're actually doing the SEC-401 near by in September. Now, how to best suck up to my boss to get him to pay for it...

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 23, 2017

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
Man, gently caress the 70-411. Second attempt and I actually did 40 points worse.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lazer Vampire Jr. posted:

Man, gently caress the 70-411. Second attempt and I actually did 40 points worse.

Totally agree. I got my 70-410 and after three attempts on the 411 I gave up.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm going to take my CCNA Security next week. For those that took it, on a scale of 1-10, how hard did you think the exam was?

I know this is 100% subjective and I've asked it before in this thread, but I think it can be an effective identifier no matter how much you study. If questions are generalized and answers can be eliminated easily, that number goes down. If questions are crazy specific and require insane knowledge of specific Cisco products and answers are vague or extremely similar, that number goes up.

I'm taking the Boson exams now and holy poo poo they're hard. There are maybe 10 out of 69 questions that are easy point foundation-level answers. Am I overstudying by making sure I can get a 90% on these, or is this really what I should be looking forward to on test day?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I passed the AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate last week, so if anyone has any questions about that test feel free to ask.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

big money big clit posted:

I passed the AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate last week, so if anyone has any questions about that test feel free to ask.

On a whole, how does the exam compare to other vendors?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

On a whole, how does the exam compare to other vendors?

I'd put it roughly in line with a VCP as far as difficulty and breadth of material. There's quite a lot that you're expected to be passingly familiar with, but only a handful of topics that are covered in depth. VPC, EC2, EBS, S3, auto-scaling and load balancing, and cloudwatch are the big ones that have multiple questions asked about them. It's not too difficult, I used the Sybex study guide for about 90% of my preparation and passed on the first try, though it wasn't a slam dunk.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I was hoping for Red Hat Exam quality but this seems sufficient.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

I was hoping for Red Hat Exam quality but this seems sufficient.

It's still multiple choice, so you're never going to get the same level of quality as a practical lab based exam, but I'd say it's in line with industry standards. You don't need to be an AWS savant by any means, but you have to at least have some knowledge about the services available, how they work together, and reference architectures, to pass it.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm going to take my CCNA Security next week. For those that took it, on a scale of 1-10, how hard did you think the exam was?

I know this is 100% subjective and I've asked it before in this thread, but I think it can be an effective identifier no matter how much you study. If questions are generalized and answers can be eliminated easily, that number goes down. If questions are crazy specific and require insane knowledge of specific Cisco products and answers are vague or extremely similar, that number goes up.

I'm taking the Boson exams now and holy poo poo they're hard. There are maybe 10 out of 69 questions that are easy point foundation-level answers. Am I overstudying by making sure I can get a 90% on these, or is this really what I should be looking forward to on test day?

While you are waiting for your answers I have a few questions. How long have you been studying for? What resources did you use?

I'm currently going through CBT Nuggets. I've gone through all of the switching stuff and am now hitting the Firewall/ASA section. I feel pretty good so far, but I feel like the switching stuff is going to be light compared to everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I did Chris Bryant's Udacity series (spends nearly the whole class in the CLI which is nice but doesn't do much for learning ASA), read the official Cisco study book front to back, did the UCertify course provided by WGU, and the Boson practice tests. I studied for 3 months back at the end of 2015 right before the test changed, shelved it for a while and picked it back up about a month ago.

Udacity was good for watching how the CLI works, the cisco book was dry as hell and I didn't retain too much from it, the UCertify course was way too loving easy and didn't properly represent the expert knowledge required for the cert (foundation level poo poo only), and the Boson practice tests are hard as poo poo but have a ton of information in the answer section for every question. Boson is probably the most worthwhile resource out of them all, but it's the most expensive.