Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«234 »
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

FCKGW posted:

My buddy just signed up for the Google IT Coursera course (they offer a free 7-day trial) and it's pretty structured. You have weekly video series and have quizzes and grades that are due once a week. You can easily accelerate through everything, but if you think you're going to just pop in and out of this course you'll have a bad time.

Thinking about this myself, since I took a course eons ago that supposedly prepped me for A+ and Net+ (yet somehow couldn't spring for the exams, despite how much the school cost), and the additional security stuff would be nice. Structured is good - I'm terrible at self-paced/self-starting.

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Wonder if it will have any effect on compTIA. They need some healthy competition in the entry level arena, because their current offerings are garbage tier BS, IMO. But I'm jaded because of the BS I have to put up with in the DoD/cleared sector.

Clearance, pulse, and a sec+. = Job regardless of whether you know anything or have a desire to learn.

Reeeeeaaaally. <Googles Security+> <contemplates the pain of dealing with government bullshit>.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is an interesting thing I saw on Reddit. Google is putting out their own entry level IT support coursework because they feel the current certification environment is not providing them with enough qualified candidates. Might be an option for those debating the merits of A+ and MCSA stuff.

Could also be good for people with gaps in their fundamentals knowledge like IT Automation.

https://blog.google/topics/grow-wit...al-certificate/

https://www.coursera.org/specializa...ogle-it-support

This might just be what I need. I don't think I have the discipline to self-learn from text on my own and work/personal stuff kept me from enrolling in an entry level IT program my local community college offers for the winter quarter.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

So, uh, any of you guys deal in long haul fiber networks? MEF Carrier Ethernet Certs or anything like that?

This new network job is a world of difference from enterprise Cisco networking.

«234 »