Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«244 »
Tab8715
May 20, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there a more obtuse and less intuitive piece of software in general usage than vi?

Forefront Identity Manager and Biztalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

guppy posted:

With the caveat that I don't have my RHCSA -- I was thinking of getting it and if I don't bother at least I'll have learned -- I have this book by van Vugt, which was recommended to me. I like it so far. It has both RHCSA and RHCE material, but they are separated and you don't have to go into the RHCE material if you don't want to.

Seconding this reccomendation. Great book, and vmís.

my bitter bi rival
Mar 21, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Relevant (to the discussion, if not the thread topic): Stack Overflow: Helping One Million Developers Exit Vim

lmao

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

AlternateAccount posted:

No, it's basically all trivia and memorization. If you want to pass it, you should

- Know every command line switch for every package manager by heart, because that's reasonable.
- Know basically all vi key commands, because you're a time traveller from 1989.
- Know completely useless items like "How many fields are there in a properly formatted fstab?"
- Know all of the built in text manipulation tools that you'll never use, like sed.

If I am being gracious, probably 50% of it was things that might be useful, like managing permissions, locations of particular config files, etc, and the rest was bullshit like the above.

I agree that not having anything on grep is weird but some of this is useful and important. sed and awk are very powerful and it's important to know how to use them. I used to find vi incomprehensible, but I learned from the van Vugt book, and the reason he gave for teaching it makes sense to me: according to him, vi is the only text editor guaranteed to exist in every Linux environment, so you better know how to use it in case it's your only option.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The fact that ed isnít mentioned much anymore shows that even for the most white-beardy grognardy sysadmin there is a limit to the masochism. Iíve used ed, but it was way back in the day when it was the only statically-linked editor and correct terminal emulation was often a rarity so you needed a line-based editor as an option. I did it reluctantly and with the man page printed out next to me though.

Back on topic, for the RHCSA isnít there supposed to be a way of taking the exam at-will if you are self-studying for it? When I look for exam availability it seems like I can take part in the exam given at the end of a training class even though I didnít do the class, but not to say pick a date and show up to take it? And Iíve seen some posts online saying itís better to do the classroom test anyways since the walk-up testing stations are often complete crap that make it harder to work through the test?

fordan fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 13:23

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Anyone have any materials for the CCNA security? I'm going through the CBT Nuggets stuff now, but having stuff to read would be nice too. From what I've seen all the official books are trash. I actually bought the Ebook version of the official cert guide and there were pages straight up missing. Out of an ebook. So I got it refunded.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fordan posted:

The fact that ed isnít mentioned much anymore shows that even for the most white-beardy grognardy sysadmin there is a limit to the masochism. Iíve used ed, but it was way back in the day when it was the only statically-linked editor and correct terminal emulation was often a rarity so you needed a line-based editor as an option. I did it reluctantly and with the man page printed out next to me though.

Back on topic, for the RHCSA isnít there supposed to be a way of taking the exam at-will if you are self-studying for it? When I look for exam availability it seems like I can take part in the exam given at the end of a training class even though I didnít do the case, but not to say pick a date and show up to take it? And Iíve seen some posts online saying itís better to do the classroom test anyways since the walk-up testing stations are often complete crap that make it harder to work through the test?

Apparently I am just going to keep linking funny/cool editor takes in this thread

https://jvns.ca/blog/2018/05/11/bat...-files-with-ed/

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Has anyone gone down the MCSA: Cloud Platform cert after having an MCSA in Windows Server? I'm starting to realize that I'm going to need Office 365 or Azure somewhere in my resume, and I've yet to work in an environment that runs either.

How realistic is it for me to lab up a personal Azure environment to practice as I go through the prep material? Are the exams the same as Windows Server ones wherein you have to memorize so much garbage that doesn't really get used much in the real world and then have to pick the least awful answer out of four awful answers?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

QUITE.

Lipstick Apathy

fordan posted:

Back on topic, for the RHCSA isn’t there supposed to be a way of taking the exam at-will if you are self-studying for it? When I look for exam availability it seems like I can take part in the exam given at the end of a training class even though I didn’t do the case, but not to say pick a date and show up to take it? And I’ve seen some posts online saying it’s better to do the classroom test anyways since the walk-up testing stations are often complete crap that make it harder to work through the test?

Sign up for a kiosk exam (K suffix on the exam number) at a proctoring center. I did self-study for both RHCSA and RHCE without taking the classes and was able to sit the exam at my local community college.

I can confirm the kiosk was lovely though. The keyboard was the cheapest garbage and the escape key was wobbly, which was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

guppy posted:

I agree that not having anything on grep is weird but some of this is useful and important. sed and awk are very powerful and it's important to know how to use them. I used to find vi incomprehensible, but I learned from the van Vugt book, and the reason he gave for teaching it makes sense to me: according to him, vi is the only text editor guaranteed to exist in every Linux environment, so you better know how to use it in case it's your only option.

awk never came up.

And while there's certainly a case to be made for vi being the only guarantee, all you really need to know is "i" and "a" and ":q" and ":wq". You don't need to know how to do complicated cutting and pasting operations to modify eth0.conf.

«244 »