Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Jato posted:

Thanks for this! Just popped in here to ask what experience people have with the GCP Cloud Engineer and Architect certs and training. I’m trying to decide the best way to use my training budget and leaning towards these since my company is very gung ho about google cloud right now. Will take a look at the acloudguru courses and see if they look like a good option!

I used mostly coursera and Linux academy. I got my GCP PCA last week, and hopping into the security track now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm taking some tech school class and they enrolled me in Project+. As someone with no experience whatsoever in the world of IT, how useful is this cert going to be? I don't really have any aspirations to be a manager anytime soon but the instructors seem to think it'll be useful in the future

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

So I'm taking some tech school class and they enrolled me in Project+. As someone with no experience whatsoever in the world of IT, how useful is this cert going to be? I don't really have any aspirations to be a manager anytime soon but the instructors seem to think it'll be useful in the future

I had to do Project+ as part of my WGU degree and it was my least favorite class out of the whole program. Just endless rote memorization of terms and concept with nothing vaguely interesting to me.

You’ll learn about how teams work together to build software and a few software development concepts like scrum and agile and how to effectively communicate project requirements and stakeholders and all that but woof, what a chore. Not difficult, just boring.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 6, 2020

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Sweet, gonna try to plow through it as fast as possible then. I think it's my second to last class so I'm ready to be done with this nonsense

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How useful would an AWS SA Associate be if my Linux skills are limited to grep/cat/ping/ssh? I've just been given a sign that I should stop being lazy and start studying again, but I'm not sure how valuable just having the cert is with what's otherwise pretty junior admin levels of experience.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How useful would an AWS SA Associate be if my Linux skills are limited to grep/cat/ping/ssh? I've just been given a sign that I should stop being lazy and start studying again, but I'm not sure how valuable just having the cert is with what's otherwise pretty junior admin levels of experience.

You don’t need anything other than grep, cat, ping and ssh to do most cloud stuff.

It is extraordinarily valuable because studying for it and achieving it means you are no longer a junior admin in terms of experience.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you can use jq as well you're all set.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Passed AWS CSA associate yesterday :yotj: I kinda freaked out over how it had a lot of VERY specific questions over EC2 instance types and pricing, but whatever

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's where I'm at and I'm in a tech dominant city, hiring managers and recruiters think it's a good thing

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

You don’t need anything other than grep, cat, ping and ssh to do most cloud stuff.

It is extraordinarily valuable because studying for it and achieving it means you are no longer a junior admin in terms of experience.

Thanks, currently about an hour of studying done after coming back a few chapters in. I probably need to refresh myself on some of it.

My current place of employment only has one AWS guy, so maybe I'll be able to move into that department. If not, time to do the job hop.

How many hours of study did it take everyone here? Are there any good projects to do after taking the acloudguru course to get some practice? I'm in the middle of setting up Algo already.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 9, 2020

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, currently about an hour of studying done after coming back a few chapters in. I probably need to refresh myself on some of it.

My current place of employment only has one AWS guy, so maybe I'll be able to move into that department. If not, time to do the job hop.

How many hours of study did it take everyone here? Are there any good projects to do after taking the acloudguru course to get some practice? I'm in the middle of setting up Algo already.

A month. My pet project was putting a pihole in the cloud and making it highly available. Honestly, you can find a million things to do. Do whatever holds your interest.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to get it done a bit faster, I've got like four hours per day at work where I'm not actually doing any work on average, just waiting for alerts to come in.

Maybe I can try setting up a VPN ending at a device that I'll hook up to my 3d printer when I finally get one, the Algo setup is following a guide because I don't want to have to gently caress around with it if I mess up permissions.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to get it done a bit faster, I've got like four hours per day at work where I'm not actually doing any work on average, just waiting for alerts to come in.

Maybe I can try setting up a VPN ending at a device that I'll hook up to my 3d printer when I finally get one, the Algo setup is following a guide because I don't want to have to gently caress around with it if I mess up permissions.

You can definitely do it faster especially if you’re studying 4 hours a day. I studied several hours a day but took plenty of breaks. There’s nothing very complicated but there is a lot of material you’ll to know. I posted a bunch of notes last page that I’d recommend you check out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I'm going to check that out. I really appreciate that, I'm terrible at taking notes. It seems like whenever I try I end up getting the unimportant stuff and while I'm writing down the notes I end up missing the important stuff.

I think I missed my chance to take the 2019 exam so I'm going to have to try to figure out what's new for the 2020, IIRC you passed the exam in July (not stalking, just remember what else was going on in my life when I read your testimonial and bought the acloudguru course) so I'll need to update for new material.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I've been looking into getting an A+ certificate but the one thing I have been getting stuck on is: how do you actually take a goddamn test? I understand that I need to spend ~$250 on a voucher, but then... is it an online test? Do I have to find a scheduled in-person test somewhere? What's the deal? Google just pulls up pages and pages of classes and people trying to bilk me out of money.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Jinnigan posted:

I've been looking into getting an A+ certificate but the one thing I have been getting stuck on is: how do you actually take a goddamn test? I understand that I need to spend ~$250 on a voucher, but then... is it an online test? Do I have to find a scheduled in-person test somewhere? What's the deal? Google just pulls up pages and pages of classes and people trying to bilk me out of money.

You don't even have to buy a voucher, although I think you can find deals on them elsewhere. Sign up at https://home.pearsonvue.com/Clients/CompTIA.aspx and you can apply the voucher there, or buy a seat directly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I'm going to check that out. I really appreciate that, I'm terrible at taking notes. It seems like whenever I try I end up getting the unimportant stuff and while I'm writing down the notes I end up missing the important stuff.

I think I missed my chance to take the 2019 exam so I'm going to have to try to figure out what's new for the 2020, IIRC you passed the exam in July (not stalking, just remember what else was going on in my life when I read your testimonial and bought the acloudguru course) so I'll need to update for new material.

nothing much has changed between 2019 and 2020, networking's still the same, EC2s are still the same, etc. I don't think there's any major hot new services that would be on the Associate SA exam in the last six months, but either way the ACloudGuru courses are new for 2020.

In general with any exam, I find that taking notes was a massive help for me in understanding and comprehending the material. If you're not sure whether something is important or not, write it down anyways! the act of writing something down on paper does more to write the content into our brains than listening or watching can ever do. Doing is always going to be better than passively consuming, which is why everyone and their mother gives you projects alongside the course material.

Jinnigan posted:

buy a voucher, redeem it for a seat, and you'll take the test in person at a testing center, I think Pearson VUE runs most of them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I took the 2019 AWS SA exam and really enjoyed studying for it. I took the cheap ACloudGuru course through Udemy. Just watching that and doing labs was enough for me to pass it.

Has anyone hear taken the more network focused AWS exam? That might be what I go for next if its worth anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

Here's a map of the testing centers
https://wsr.pearsonvue.com/testtaker/registration/SelectTestCenterProximity/COMPTIA?conversationId=2611755

Once you're ready you buy a voucher or buy a seat directly, go to whichever test center is closest to you and take the test. Once you're done they give your a printout saying if you passed or failed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

nothing much has changed between 2019 and 2020, networking's still the same, EC2s are still the same, etc. I don't think there's any major hot new services that would be on the Associate SA exam in the last six months, but either way the ACloudGuru courses are new for 2020.

In general with any exam, I find that taking notes was a massive help for me in understanding and comprehending the material. If you're not sure whether something is important or not, write it down anyways! the act of writing something down on paper does more to write the content into our brains than listening or watching can ever do. Doing is always going to be better than passively consuming, which is why everyone and their mother gives you projects alongside the course material.

Ah, okay. I saw there were a few new videos (I ended up going through most of the stuff I already covered because it's been so long since I bought the course). I guess that's for the 2020 exam. One annoying thing is that there's a video where he says that EBS volumes can't be shared between multiple instances, but according to the chapter-end quiz apparently now they can under certain conditions, as of February IIRC. Still got 19/23 with that question and a question that involved AWS CLI syntax, which I haven't studied at all and he said wasn't on the exam so that's one big stressor down. Until I've done a command about 50-100 times I have to look up the syntax no matter what the language / library is.

My problem with taking notes is that I would basically just have to copy down the entire slide to avoid missing important stuff, I don't know why I'm so terrible at taking notes and wish there was a course on taking notes or something. I've found that I tend to do worse in exams when I take notes during the class because I've split my focus compared to when I'm listening the whole time. Maybe it's because I never bothered taking notes until I was done with community college because I was always smart enough to pass everything in grade school or community college without really studying. Not a brag, it's kind of hosed me over later in life because I never learned life skills of doing the work even if it sucks until I was in my mid-20s.

Having completed the S3 and EC2 sections, so far it seems a lot easier than the CCENT I tried and failed to get years ago, the subnetting questions and cli syntax questions hosed me up hard on that.

E: Huh, I apparently have a gang tag now. Weird.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The Iron Rose posted:

Stephane Maarek's SA course has a breakdown on what's covered in the new test:

code:
CHANGED / UPDATED CONTENT

Here’s the list of new and updated content. Overall this is about 8 hours of recording. I am not including the lecture numbers here, just in case, I do some small edits here, which would skew all the numbers.

In case you see any issues with any videos, don’t panic, and please let me know. I’ll do my best to correct it as fast as possible.

AWS Fundamentals: IAM & EC2

EC2 Instances Launch Types

EC2 Instances Launch Types Hands On – Hands-On

Elastic Network Interfaces (ENI) with Hands-On

High Availability and Scalability: ELB & ASG

Elastic Load Balancing (ELB) Overview

Classic Load Balancer (CLB) with Hands On

Application Load Balancer (ALB) with Hands On

Network Load Balancer (NLB) with Hands On

Elastic Load Balancer - Stickiness

Elastic Load Balancer - Cross Zone Load Balancing

Elastic Load Balancer - SSL Certificates

Auto Scaling Groups (ASG) Overview

Auto Scaling Groups Hands On

Auto Scaling Groups - Scaling Policies

Auto Scaling Groups - for Solutions Architects

EC2 Storage – EBS & EFS

EBS Volume Types Deep Dive

EBS vs Instance Store

RDS + Aurora + ElastiCache

AWS RDS Overview

RDS Read Replicas vs Multi AZ

AWS RDS Hands On

RDS Encryption + Security

Aurora Overview

Aurora Hands On

AWS ElastiCache Overview

AWS ElastiCache Hands On

ElastiCache for Solution Architect

Amazon S3 Advanced

S3 Storage Tiers + Glacier

S3 Lifecycle Policies

S3 Performance: SAA-C02

S3 Select & Glacier Select: SAA-C02

S3 Lock Policies & Glacier Vault Lock: SAA-C02

CloudFront & AWS Global Accelerator

CloudFront Overview

CloudFront with S3 - Hands On

CloudFront Signed URL / Cookies: SAA-C02

AWS Global Accelerator – Overview: SAA-C02

AWS Global Accelerator - Hands On: SAA-C02

AWS Storage Extras

Amazon FSx – Overview: SAA-C02

Amazon FSx - Hands On: SAA-C02

All AWS Storage Options Compared: SAA-C02

Decoupling applications: SQS, SNS, Kinesis, Active MQ

SQS + Auto Scaling Group

Kinesis Data Streams Overview

Kinesis Firehose & Kinesis Data Analytics

Serverless Overviews from a Solution Architect Perspective

Lambda Overview

Lambda Configuration

DynamoDB Advanced Features: SAA-C02

Serverless Application Model (SAM) Overview: SAA-C02

Databases in AWS

Redshift Overview

AWS Monitoring & Audit: CloudWatch & CloudTrail

AWS Config – Overview: SAA-C02

AWS Config - Hands On: SAA-C02

CloudTrail vs CloudWatch vs Config: SAA-C02

Identity and Access Management (IAM) – Advanced

Security Token Service (STS) Overview

Identity Federation & Cognito

Directory Services - Overview: SAA-C02

Organizations - Overview

Organizations - Hands On

IAM - Advanced

Resource Access Manager (RAM): SAA-C02

AWS Single Sign On (SSO) - Overview: SAA-C02

AWS Single Sign On (SSO) - Hands On: SAA-C02

AWS Security & Encryption: KMS, SSM Parameter Store, CloudHSM, Shield, WAF

CloudHSM: SAA-C02

Shield - DDoS Protection: SAA-C02

Web Application Firewall (WAF): SAA-C02

WAF & Shield - Hands On: SAA-C02

Networking – VPC

NAT Gateways

VPC Peering

Direct Connect

AWS PrivateLink – VPC Endpoint Services: SAA-C02

AWS ClassicLink: SAA-C02

VPN CloudHub: SAA-C02

VPC Section Summary

Disaster Recovery & Migrations

Database Migration Service (DMS): SAA-C02

Database Migration Service (DMS) - Hands On: SAA-C02

On-Premise Strategies with AWS: SAA-C02

DataSync - Overview: SAA-C02

Transferring Large Datasets into AWS: SAA-C02

More Solution Architectures

Event Processing in AWS: SAA-C02

Caching Strategies in AWS: SAA-C02

Blocking an IP Address in AWS: SAA-C02

High Performance Computing (HPC) on AWS: SAA-C02

Other Services

CloudFormation – Extras: SAA-C02

ECS – Extras: SAA-C02

sinequanon01
Oct 20, 2017

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I took the 2019 AWS SA exam and really enjoyed studying for it. I took the cheap ACloudGuru course through Udemy. Just watching that and doing labs was enough for me to pass it.

Has anyone hear taken the more network focused AWS exam? That might be what I go for next if its worth anything.

I have 5 AWS certs (2 associate, 1 pro, 2 specialty). Networking was by far the most difficult one I’ve taken based on the technical depth of the subject matter. If you don’t have any experience with Direct Connect (which is nearly impossible to lab) you’re going to have a rough time with it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

sinequanon01 posted:

I have 5 AWS certs (2 associate, 1 pro, 2 specialty). Networking was by far the most difficult one I’ve taken based on the technical depth of the subject matter. If you don’t have any experience with Direct Connect (which is nearly impossible to lab) you’re going to have a rough time with it.

Did you have a strong networking background at all?

Maybe I will rethink my plans. I work as network engineer and killed the sections of the SA exam that had to do with VPCs. But I have 0 Direct Connect experience and my day to day networking work is much much more in the layer 2 side of things than layer 3.

sinequanon01
Oct 20, 2017

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Did you have a strong networking background at all?

Maybe I will rethink my plans. I work as network engineer and killed the sections of the SA exam that had to do with VPCs. But I have 0 Direct Connect experience and my day to day networking work is much much more in the layer 2 side of things than layer 3.

Five years as a network engineer/architect prior to joining AWS. Strong infrastructure background prior to that. If you’re serious about AWS certification I highly recommend chasing the SA Pro. It’s a really tough exam and will likely take you further than any of the specialties.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

sinequanon01 posted:

Five years as a network engineer/architect prior to joining AWS. Strong infrastructure background prior to that. If you’re serious about AWS certification I highly recommend chasing the SA Pro. It’s a really tough exam and will likely take you further than any of the specialties.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look more into the SA pro then.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

sinequanon01 posted:

Strong same. I have a CCIE and failed my first attempt at it. It's a lot of Direct Connect specifics and not a lot of general networking questions.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Taking the CompTIA Project+ today in 4.5 hours. I wasn't able to get to sleep last night though, so hopefully that doesn't mess everything up.

e. Passed! 3/3 for passing certification exams w/o a good night of sleep, so clearly I should continue to be extremely anxious all the time.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 13, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know if any test providers for the AWS CSA Associate are providing options for test-taking with COVID-19 in mind? I wouldn't be surprised if most of the testing locations get shut down for a couple months, which would really suck since I was hoping to take the test in a few weeks.

E: gently caress, looks like Pearson-Vue has shut down at least until April 16th in the US.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 17, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pearson does offer test from home, though I think it's monitored in real time and they aren't letting people go to their office.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, that would be great. I had a similarly monitored ITIL test but I wasn't sure if that was an option for the AWS cert.

I need to get this cert and then either get a promotion into an AWS role at this job or find another job, although the latter might be tricky in this economy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, that would be great. I had a similarly monitored ITIL test but I wasn't sure if that was an option for the AWS cert.

I need to get this cert and then either get a promotion into an AWS role at this job or find another job, although the latter might be tricky in this economy.

Ahhh so you're aware of the option, I'm not sure if the AWS tests are part of it or not, but I'd check it out if I were you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It doesn't look like they do, but I'll look closer.

Well, straight off finishing the acloudguru course I took one of their practice exams and got a 53%. Could be worse, I definitely didn't have high hopes for it without doing any more independent work or studying. I've basically done this over 2 weeks so the older segments were foggy and I also got kind of overloaded by the VPC and HA stuff right next to each other. Lots of services and concepts to absorb.

Is the pass mark for the AWS cert really only 65%? That seems low.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
I don't know if they have changed but I found the acouldguru exam questions for the AWS SA Associate exam really bad when I was studying for the exam around 6 months ago. They where not really in the same format as the ones you see in the exam and some of them where on subjects that where not covered or needed. I liked the course over all but the exam questions defiantly felt like a weak point.
I found the Jon Bonso Practice Exams over at udemy really good. They where very close to the format of the actual exam questions and did a good job of breaking down the answers and explaining things with references to Amazon's own documentation.
https://www.udemy.com/course/aws-certified-solutions-architect-associate-amazon-practice-exams-saa-c02/

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I have no IT experience and just finished my A+. I’m starting on the N+ and wondering if there are any hands-on type labs I could get to help learn?

I don’t just want to pass the test I want to actually know the material.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

dkj posted:

I have no IT experience and just finished my A+. I’m starting on the N+ and wondering if there are any hands-on type labs I could get to help learn?

I don’t just want to pass the test I want to actually know the material.

Cisco Packet Tracer is good and free, you just have to make a Cisco NetAcademy account. For labs, check out David Bombal, or just start screwing around yourself once you learn the basics of networking. Build each new concept you learn in Packet Tracer, change small things and see if you understand why it’s behaving as it does in response to the changes you make.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Space Racist posted:

Cisco Packet Tracer is good and free, you just have to make a Cisco NetAcademy account. For labs, check out David Bombal, or just start screwing around yourself once you learn the basics of networking. Build each new concept you learn in Packet Tracer, change small things and see if you understand why it’s behaving as it does in response to the changes you make.

Awesome, thank you!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
You can also get access to a cloud based VIRL instance for free using Cisco's DevNet site. Way overkill for what you need right now but it's a good resource if you ever want to practice automation or advanced Cisco configurations.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Cyks posted:

You can also get access to a cloud based VIRL instance for free using Cisco's DevNet site. Way overkill for what you need right now but it's a good resource if you ever want to practice automation or advanced Cisco configurations.

I’ll check it out, thank you!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...gn=tile_index_1

Lots of Azure material there for cheap

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Getting a dead link for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That's the joke.

No but seriously, here:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...gn=tile_index_5

Based on Packt's quality assurance, $1 for the bundle is probably about right.