Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«278 »
dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I think Dion is way better than Meyers. I got Meyers course for my A+ and felt unprepared when I started the practice tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I take my AWS CSA Associate on the 16th, time to take some practice exams and figure out where specifically I have no idea what I'm doing.

My job doesn't have an open position in the cloud team that I would fit in, but they are hiring for a more senior position so maybe if I get this cert they will promote one of their current guys to that one and I can get into his old spot.

Or if they say "maybe once the economy recovers" or "we don't have a position right now but here's some work you can do to see what it will be like," well, I'm working remotely so they have no way of knowing my personal computer will be on Indeed and Dice all day long.

Best thing for me studying for that exam was to do some real world labs. Use S3 to make a personal backup space for you. Use EC2 to launch a website and learn about VPCs, etc. Good luck!

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Iím looking into getting a few certs to start going into Data Security (namely A+ and Security+ to start). Does anyone have a recommendation for the book for Security+? The link in OP goes to a dead amazon page.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

aaaaaaaaaa
AAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Iím looking into getting a few certs to start going into Data Security (namely A+ and Security+ to start). Does anyone have a recommendation for the book for Security+? The link in OP goes to a dead amazon page.

I took the Sec+ 2 years ago. I used Darrel Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead book. He has a kindle edition for
https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secu.../dp/1939136059/

Good book, but what I found most helpful were the study guides and practice quizzes. Gibson has a package on his website for an extra $40 or so but the practice quizzes were very close to what the real exam had and, for me, would be highly recommended.
https://getcertifiedgetahead.com/

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Just passed the Security+ exam. I felt cheated because there were no questions about war-chalking, war-driving, bluejacking, or even bluesnarfing.

For studying, I used three sources:
This book https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secu...n/dp/0789758997
Pluralsight- Christopher Rees' video series
LinkedIn Learning- Mike Chappel's video series.

Of the three, and from knowing most of the material already, I found Make Chappel's videos to be the most helpful for exam prep. The videos were structured in a way that was easy to pick up on key exam bits and used easy to follow diagrams to break down some of the more complicated concepts.

«278 »