Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«279 »
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What's the best route for getting into Linux? Im considering Linux+ -> RHCSA. Is this a wise path? It seems like going right for RHCSA might be too much right off the bat if I don't have fundamentals first? I downloaded and installed Ubuntu, but elsewhere I've been advised to jump in with CentOS since it's partnered with RH. Does this seem logical? Also any specific courses you recommend for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cat Army

Passed my GCP professional cloud architect exam! Took about 30 minutes and the remote proctor was simultaneously a bit of a pain while also weirdly charming. Buddy asked me to turn my classical music down though

On a that note Zotix, the cloud is how I got into Linux. Looooots of Linux servers for webapps. Honestly the distro doesnít particularly matter to me for that reason, except if youíre using selinux I guess. Iím mostly used to CentOS these days for that reason, but I donít think Iíd use it for a desktop environment.

donít be too wedded to one distro vs another, use whatever fits your given usecase best. Theyíre not completely interchangeable, but outside of apt-get vs yum and selinux, does anyone really care*?

*excluding alpine for containers and other specific use cases. Genuine question though, theyíre all just a shell to me :p

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I literally have no idea what any of that means. I literally haven't even booted a distro up yet. Are there any udemy courses you might recommend or YouTubers for starting with Linux?

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Passed Cisco DevNet associate. Very cool exam and material for anyone looking to get into network automation/programmability. Test seemed to have less of the Cisco gotcha questions found on ccna/ccnp. Shoutout to the nice online proctor that requested that I unplug my printer that was half way across my home office.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Dinosaur Gum

Zotix posted:

I literally have no idea what any of that means. I literally haven't even booted a distro up yet. Are there any udemy courses you might recommend or YouTubers for starting with Linux?

If you are new to Linux check out https://www.udemy.com/course/linux-essentials-010/ which is a pretty good intro. He uses the GUI as a way to explain what's happening but also has exercises in the command prompt

A friend of mine likes Network Chuck on youtube and they aren't bad. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li..._PI0B2yAXGfJLMI

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Zotix posted:

What's the best route for getting into Linux? Im considering Linux+ -> RHCSA. Is this a wise path? It seems like going right for RHCSA might be too much right off the bat if I don't have fundamentals first? I downloaded and installed Ubuntu, but elsewhere I've been advised to jump in with CentOS since it's partnered with RH. Does this seem logical? Also any specific courses you recommend for this?

RHCSA is the fundamentals, and it's a hands-on exam so you'll learn and retain more than you would with Linux+. Even if you don't register for the exams, following the curriculum is still a really good way to learn the basics. Use CentOS virtual machines for the Red Hat exams.

I passed the RHCSA using the Jang book, and the Sander Van Vugt videos. I considered them well worth the money.

Use this video to set up your "server" that will present storage to your practice VMs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MX307ZD5E

Send me a PM if you have any questions (even stupid basic ones) or want to talk about it. I got 300/300 on my RHCSA, failed and then passed my RHCE last year, and I'm studying for PE180 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Seconding doing the RHCSA course to get a good fundamental understanding of how things work. As The Iron Rose said the distros don't matter much, but RH is still a major player in the enterprise market so that never hurts. Once you know one distro well enough, it's pretty simple to adjust to other ones when needed.

If you want to break into the field, take the exam as well.

And congrats to The Iron Rose on your GCP Pro cloud architect certification!

«279 »