Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm burning through the Google IT Professional cert with a coursera 7 day free trial that was recommended to me and frankly this has been an abysmal learning experience so far. It's particularly glaring because TestOut is generally so well put together and throws instant, on-demand lab access at you to complete objectives. The first 'qwiklabs' exercise I did during this coursera course started the time-limit timer before lab resources were provisioned to me, and I had to wait almost 17 minutes until I had access to the actual lab. Seems pretty ridiculous that they just let that time burn off before you can even start.

edit these labs so far have been extremely simplistic and I have completed them in a few minutes at most but it still seems silly to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This was my experience as well. WAY more detailed and technical than the real exam but it gets you thinking in the right way for the real test. Plus if you're consistently passing Boson exams you can be sure you'll pass the real one.

That's the kind of stuff that is great to know! Thanks guys, I picked up the Boson practice exam pack and some books. Looks like my holidays will be busy.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
Passed my AWS cloud practitioner exam a week or so back, got a 917 / 1000 - which feels pretty nuts cause I was sure I got lower than that.

I am thinking about heading quickly towards AWS Security certification, is it a lot harder in genera if someone has taken both?

I have a security+ , a masters in infosec and 4 years+ work experience in it-sec. Should I be able to just do practice tests on udemy and pass the exam? maybe read a bit about the domains regarding AWS security?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

xThrasheRx posted:

Passed my AWS cloud practitioner exam a week or so back, got a 917 / 1000 - which feels pretty nuts cause I was sure I got lower than that.

I am thinking about heading quickly towards AWS Security certification, is it a lot harder in genera if someone has taken both?

I have a security+ , a masters in infosec and 4 years+ work experience in it-sec. Should I be able to just do practice tests on udemy and pass the exam? maybe read a bit about the domains regarding AWS security?

So I just started studying for that cert myself as my new job is half AWS compliance and security work and I wanted a structured study plan to combine with on the job training. From what I've gathered so far I would say no you couldnt just do a few practice tests and pass. At least from what I've seen, you may be far more skilled/knowledgeable in the area already.

If you know CloudTrail, CloudWatch, Config, and IAM really well already then yeah you could probably pass.

For me, there is enough nitty gritty detail in all of those services that I'm sticking with the ACloudGuru course, labs, and reading the FAQs before I take the test.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

More Microsoft Azure Virtual Training Day: Fundamentals. Haven't taken this and don't know if it's worth the time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OmniCorp posted:

More Microsoft Azure Virtual Training Day: Fundamentals. Haven't taken this and don't know if it's worth the time.

I did when they were giving out free vouchers.
It's fine, it's a few hours and you are not able to view the recorded session later so you need to pay attention. It gave me a good overview of the material but I got more out of just going over their free training material anyways before I took the exam.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

About to land my first job in IT. It is with the DoD.

I never wanted to be part of the military industrial complex.

However, bills aren't going to be paid with a clear conscious.

All with just an A+ cert and and AS from a community college.

Any thoughts?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

freezingprocess posted:

Any thoughts?

You can’t be picky if you’ve got to provide for yourself/family. Congrats on your new job.

It’s important to keep on learning, in IT probably even more than in other lines of work. So keep up the good work and pick another technology you’d like to learn. Set a goal (q1/q2 2021 maybe?) and start working towards it.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

You can’t be picky if you’ve got to provide for yourself/family. Congrats on your new job.

It’s important to keep on learning, in IT probably even more than in other lines of work. So keep up the good work and pick another technology you’d like to learn. Set a goal (q1/q2 2021 maybe?) and start working towards it.

Will do.

I have bigger goals.

The training and experience I get here will hopefully lead to somewhere else I'd rather be.

I still feel dirty.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

freezingprocess posted:

Any thoughts?

better than working for facebook

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

imagine working for palantir

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Or DHS.

You don’t want to work for DHS for even selfish reasons though, it’s consistently rated as the worst government agency to work for

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

freezingprocess posted:

Any thoughts?

Can't speak for all positions obviously but assuming you are working through a third party who has a government contract, expect everything to take forever, especially if any type of clearance and access is involved. Mine was relatively short and only took a month from hire date to getting to my work area, others took three months. My job functions are also very specific and not much room to learn/touch anything outside of that scope. The pay is stupid good though.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

FCKGW posted:

For me, 3/4 of the questions felt like out of the 4 possible answers, 2 of them could be the right one. I was always sweating that I knew the answer but was unsure what exactly they were asking.
That's how I felt taking the 1001. Didn't prep hard for it because I thought I knew it all and got surprised with only getting a 747.

I took the 1002 a lot more seriously.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thinking about doing CISSP.

Eh, what's the thoughts on this on how to approach this. Right now I'm assuming it will be more or less a slog like the PMP was.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever go for the AWS Sysops Associate exam with A Cloud Guru and labbing? We have ACG and I have the AWS Cloud Practitioner cert, a bunch of MCSAs, the Server 2012 MCSE, and Azure AZ-100 + 101. Thinking about rounding out my portfolio since work uses AWS way more and I want to be layoff-proof if they just end Azure in the future.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MJP posted:

Anyone ever go for the AWS Sysops Associate exam with A Cloud Guru and labbing? We have ACG and I have the AWS Cloud Practitioner cert, a bunch of MCSAs, the Server 2012 MCSE, and Azure AZ-100 + 101. Thinking about rounding out my portfolio since work uses AWS way more and I want to be layoff-proof if they just end Azure in the future.

I did AWS Solution Architect Associate from just ACG and their labs.

Material was fine 1.5-2 years ago. From what I hear things are a bit of a mess over there with the Linux Academy acquisition. The LA content was supposedly a lot better but they ditched that (or made it impossible to find by only keeping it available through the direct url to it) in favor of outdated ACG content. Lots of people seem to be really unhappy about all of that so I stopped recommending them.

I see Stephan Maarek get recommended a lot and I’m going to get his courses for both SysOps Associate and Developer Associate in 2021. Adrian Cantrill also seems to put out high quality material from what I can see.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nice, thanks. We have Linux Academy from work, and we had ACG at my last job. Seeing them merge was meh at best. There's definitely a bunch of changes in AWS that ACG doesn't mention. Also I'm sick of "OK, hello cloud gurus".

How essential is the Architect Associate before Sysops? I kinda understand some of the stuff from the Practitioner cert and using Azure (some stuff parallels, not everything).

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 25, 2020

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

Nice, thanks. We have Linux Academy from work, and we had ACG at my last job. Seeing them merge was meh at best. There's definitely a bunch of changes in AWS that ACG doesn't mention. Also I'm sick of "OK, hello cloud gurus".

How essential is the Architect Associate before Sysops? I kinda understand some of the stuff from the Practitioner cert and using Azure (some stuff parallels, not everything).

I have the AWS Architect Associate and Professional. I don't have the sysops but I looked over it. The architect has a lot more theory and design principles, but the sysops has more specifics to how to actually configure aws objects.

We use Udemy, and I really like the content there.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have the AWS Architect Associate and Professional. I don't have the sysops but I looked over it. The architect has a lot more theory and design principles, but the sysops has more specifics to how to actually configure aws objects.

We use Udemy, and I really like the content there.

Exactly this. SA is a lot more wide in topics, SysOps is more focussed and goes a bit deeper.

There is a large overlap in subjects though, so it’s not too much effort to do both.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Is the lab equipment for the CCNA up to date in the OP? I seem to remember hearing that the test got revamped so I'm curious if I buy the cheaper/older gear for a lab if it'd cause issues.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Famethrowa posted:

Is the lab equipment for the CCNA up to date in the OP? I seem to remember hearing that the test got revamped so I'm curious if I buy the cheaper/older gear for a lab if it'd cause issues.

Not sure if it still applies after the most recent CCNA changes but 2 years ago you only needed packet tracer or gns 3 to prepare for the labs.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Not sure if it still applies after the most recent CCNA changes but 2 years ago you only needed packet tracer or gns 3 to prepare for the labs.

Oh interesting. I've got loads of PT experience thanks to my schoolwork, so sounds like that combined with some refresher studywork would be enough.

My goal is to build towards a Network Engineer career eventually, so perhaps I'll wait until I'm ready for the CCNP. Maybe I'll even start applying for jobs once I get my CCNA :aaa:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Famethrowa posted:

Oh interesting. I've got loads of PT experience thanks to my schoolwork, so sounds like that combined with some refresher studywork would be enough.

Definitely. PT, books, and boson practice exams was how I passed the CCNA

after failing it three times

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Famethrowa posted:

My goal is to build towards a Network Engineer career eventually, so perhaps I'll wait until I'm ready for the CCNP. Maybe I'll even start applying for jobs once I get my CCNA :aaa:

Once you get CCNA it shouldn't be a problem to land a junior network engineering job. Start applying to interesting jobs once you have it.

You probably know this already but subnetting is an important part of CCNA as well. You need to be able to dream that poo poo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Actuarial Fables posted:

Definitely. PT, books, and boson practice exams was how I passed the CCNA

after failing it three times

Does BGP factory heavily into the CCNA? I'm not a network engineer (I do straight linux + cloud architecture) but I often have to coordinate my network guys with customer network guys, and when I mention BGP the customer guys pretend they know what it is but it's clear they don't.

I don't know how to set it up on a Cisco, but I know what it is enough to discuss it, just curious at what level BGP becomes an exam topic.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any Udemy coupon codes/discounts/vouchers/etc. for Stephane Maarek's Sysops course? Or does Udemy not work that way?

Work definitely won't pay for it, they'll just point me towards Linux Academy/ACG, which now I'm worried is going to be missing stuff that'll be on the exam.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does BGP factory heavily into the CCNA? I'm not a network engineer (I do straight linux + cloud architecture) but I often have to coordinate my network guys with customer network guys, and when I mention BGP the customer guys pretend they know what it is but it's clear they don't.

I don't know how to set it up on a Cisco, but I know what it is enough to discuss it, just curious at what level BGP becomes an exam topic.

The only routing protocol is OSPF

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/ccna-exam-topics

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It was covered in the official materials when I took mine a few years ago, but not in much depth. I think it's more of a topic at the CCNP level. The curriculum has changed since I took it so maybe it's no longer covered at all.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

guppy posted:

It was covered in the official materials when I took mine a few years ago, but not in much depth. I think it's more of a topic at the CCNP level. The curriculum has changed since I took it so maybe it's no longer covered at all.

From what I recall before the curriculum changed, BGP deals more with direct connections to service providers/telecoms/backbone routers...Sort of specialized, not something everyone at an enterprise is going to be dealing with on a day-day basis - Maybe only if they deal with said service providers on a daily basis?

That said, I didn't see anything directly relating to BGP on the exams I took. (CCENT, CCNA R&S)

Now if it's the cloud? Maybe? No idea.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

In my Network class that covered BGP/AS the professor specified that we were learning it, but it was not on the CCNA

e. It was confusing, but really not hard at all if you understand EIGRP and OSPF

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 28, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What’s the comparison between Net+ and CCNA?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I know they changed the test recently, before there was a bit of BGP, EIGRP, RIP, and OSPF.

To people thinking they want to get the job first then the cert I would encourage you to get the cert first. Thats essentially how I got my foot in the door in networking in a jr position. Once you can pair a few years of experience with the cert then its off to the races.

My CCNA expires in November of 2021 and I am debating if I should go for my CCNP, just renew my CCNA, or let it lapse completely. From what I've heard the new CCNP is way easier than it was in the past.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What’s the comparison between Net+ and CCNA?

Net+ I would say is much more introductory and not as well thought of as the CCNA.

The CCNA will go into much more detail with actual configuration you need to know how to perform and troubleshoot. Net+ will just cover basic theory and principles.

If you plan on getting the CCNA or want to do networking as a career skip the Net+.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I know they changed the test recently, before there was a bit of BGP, EIGRP, RIP, and OSPF.

To people thinking they want to get the job first then the cert I would encourage you to get the cert first. Thats essentially how I got my foot in the door in networking in a jr position. Once you can pair a few years of experience with the cert then its off to the races.

My CCNA expires in November of 2021 and I am debating if I should go for my CCNP, just renew my CCNA, or let it lapse completely. From what I've heard the new CCNP is way easier than it was in the past.

I believe you no longer have a time limit for your CCNP. The CCNA is no longer a pre-req. Your CCNA will still lapse, but you don't have to care about that unless you need to keep it active for compliance reasons.

EDIT: I should clarify. You have two tests, one of them mandatory and about core networking skills and the other elective in a specialization of your choice, and you have a timer after you take one to take the other.

I've been putting it off, but I should really buckle down and do it. I have an active PluralSight subscription and the time to study, and I've been doing a ton of automation programming and the Automation specialization would be up my alley.

guppy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 30, 2020

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've had a CCNA for 10 months and am still stuck in printer support hell. Maybe I suck at interviewing, maybe it's my location, but getting that cert was not the ticket I was hoping it was. Now I'm spending $10k to finish a degree in hopes that more letters after my name is the ticket out.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oyster posted:

I've had a CCNA for 10 months and am still stuck in printer support hell. Maybe I suck at interviewing, maybe it's my location, but getting that cert was not the ticket I was hoping it was. Now I'm spending $10k to finish a degree in hopes that more letters after my name is the ticket out.

$10K for a way out of printer support hell seems pretty steep. Not that a degree will hurt, just sounds expensive.

If you want to feel free to PM me your resume and I can give you any tips.

One thing I remember being very helpful when I was starting out was emphasizing my home lab setup, anything remotely work related that I did in a lab I talked up big time. You'd be surprised at how many old greybeards out there that are now hiring LOVE that sort of thing. Thats been my experience at least.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Part of my recent promotion is that I agreed to get the CCNA sometime 2021.

I bought the Neil Anderson Udemy course already and saw that Boson is doing a 25% off discount through tomorrow. Is there a package or one particular thing that would really help for passing it?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The Boson practice exams were very similar in presentation and content to the actual exam, so I can recommend those.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp I found out that my intro IT help desk job will have me in imaging hell for the foreseeable future. It is with the DoD but the pay isn't great and the commute is horrid. I'm looking through WGU's list of stuff trying to figure out what would be best. Cybersecurity looks promising and would make sense to do that after having taken classes for it from a tech college not too long ago. Network operations seems like the only other one I'd want to do.

I second Boson in general, used it for Sec+, A+, and Network+. I definitely felt well prepared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My sister did WGU and while it seemed sus at first to me she had a really good experience, and if you’re disciplined and kinda smart you can bang out stuff insanely quick since it’s self paced. She also said their system and staff are great and super responsive. There’s basically an advisor assigned to you that actually follows you and knows you throughout the courses, honestly seems like the way to go for a lot of non traditional students. If you push yourself hard it works out to be very, very cheap compared to regular school.

If I end up hating tech I’ll probably go back to nursing and use them, or maybe to do a second bachelors for something like CS.