Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
In other words: Lie on my resume as has been told to me by numerous people for IT and non-IT related skills/jobs? :p

quote:

to get through the HR filter.

I think that's one part of the problem. The other is that most of my job experience isn't necessarily IT. Part of it is Public Service (glorified retail), and some retail. But retail is long old so not in resume. While the Public Service is more recent. I did help people out with Print Server, PC Reservation, Network troubleshooting issues while there. Which I felt would at least show I knew how to trouble-shoot things, but apparently that isn't enough for most places when I do get through the HR IT Experience filter.

I had one that said they'd talk to the hiring manager after my interview with them only for them to turn around and post the job a day later and then wait like two weeks to deny me. I'm not sure if experience alone is the problem. Since I am HoH/Deaf which makes things slightly harder on the job front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Microsoft Press has a bunch of cert books on sale for Black Friday

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/promotions/happy-booksgiving-buy-2-save-55-on-books-and-ebooks-142354

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Neat, just in time for Windows Internals 7th Edition Part 2 to be out and for my boss to have called me yesterday going "heeeeey so we need someone to go get an AZ-104..."

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Resubbed to Kodekloud who also has a BF sale, I'm gonna try and out CKA by the end of the year - https://kodekloud.com/pricing/

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Knocked out the AWS CCP early last week or week before and then got Cloud+ don't tonight. A surprisingly difficult exam but glad to have it done.

Now onto the AWS SAA, which hopefully isn't my last stop on the AWS train. But I also want to take some Kubernetes courses asap too but I can only learn so much at a time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

Knocked out the AWS CCP early last week or week before and then got Cloud+ don't tonight. A surprisingly difficult exam but glad to have it done.

Now onto the AWS SAA, which hopefully isn't my last stop on the AWS train. But I also want to take some Kubernetes courses asap too but I can only learn so much at a time.

Hell yeah, nice work :)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well I am officially dumb.

Going for my CCNP now despite being out of enterprise networking! I figure, that its actually a nice break from security work that I do day to day, and also that while I felt like king poo poo of layer 2 I never did much routing or BGP work as a network admin in previous positions so it'll be nice to learn more and lab.

Giving myself 6 months, mostly because I have a 4 month old child that sucks up most of my time. So far so good though in studying! A lot has come back to me quickly conceptually. But its amazing how much of the CLI you lose when youre not in there day in day out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm in the CLI day in and day out and I still lean heavily on the ? key.

guppy fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 7, 2021

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

Sup fellow vi goon

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

guppy posted:

Yeah for sure, but I think they limit that during the exam dont they?

I still find myself hitting tab from time to time out of the CLI thinking things will automagically fill out and have to remind myself that I'm not ssh'd into some switch.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I still find myself hitting tab from time to time out of the CLI thinking things will automagically fill out and have to remind myself that I'm not ssh'd into some switch.

They (used to) limit it to only commands that were useful to the current module you were on, that may have changed though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It's been a while but I don't think so. They limit what you can use, but give you the tools for the job.

I have a similar reaction to not being in a switch where it annoys me that I have to type entire commands instead of just enough to be unique. You'd never want this behavior in a normal terminal, of course, but you sure do get used to it.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Unless it recently changed, the 2020 certification refresh no longer includes sims on the exams except for the CCIE lab. (Maybe Dev Net, but those certifications are considered separate).

Heads up WGU alumni, access to Udemy Business has returned. Earlier this year they accidentally let alumni register when they rolled it out for faculty and active students, but it is now official. It gives you access to the same classes as the personal plan ($30/mo) but free.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

One of these years I should really do WGU and just get my degree out of the way.

I never wanted to go the management route but I fear as I get older in IT that is something I may need to do. I dont know, I'm always afraid I'm going to lose my job at any given moment despite being 10+ years into my career and having a lot of high level certs and getting good jobs.

My last boss was 45 and said he was basically prepping for one last job move and looking for as much stability as he could get because he didnt want to be jobless in his 50s looking for another IT gig.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

One of these years I should really do WGU and just get my degree out of the way.

I never wanted to go the management route but I fear as I get older in IT that is something I may need to do. I dont know, I'm always afraid I'm going to lose my job at any given moment despite being 10+ years into my career and having a lot of high level certs and getting good jobs.

My last boss was 45 and said he was basically prepping for one last job move and looking for as much stability as he could get because he didnt want to be jobless in his 50s looking for another IT gig.

I finished my MBA-ITM earlier this year so feel free to PM/ask any questions if you are looking into it. I'm not in a management position (haven't even looked for a new position) but I've looked back at the work and effort I've put in and I don't regret it at all.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Barely IT certification related but I’ve been playing around with NSX-T lately (with the goal of going VCP-NV to VCP-DC without having to take the class) and drat, I have zero desire to ever go back to IOS and CLI. I get that an overlay won’t replace the underlay requirements but this is just so much more intuitive and easier to work with. Some of the systems I support have ACLs that are thousands of lines long each on catalyst switches to filter traffic between VMs that could be reproduced in NSX-T in like half a day.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cyks posted:

Barely IT certification related but I’ve been playing around with NSX-T lately (with the goal of going VCP-NV to VCP-DC without having to take the class) and drat, I have zero desire to ever go back to IOS and CLI. I get that an overlay won’t replace the underlay requirements but this is just so much more intuitive and easier to work with. Some of the systems I support have ACLs that are thousands of lines long each on catalyst switches to filter traffic between VMs that could be reproduced in NSX-T in like half a day.

Yeah I am dead set on getting the CCNP and never taking another Cisco cert again. When I was a network engineer I always told myself I'd get it, and even in security now I've noticed a certain level of if not respect, taking what a person says and trusting it more, if it comes out of someone that use to have a CCNP and not just CCNA.

Its a dumb reason, but I am committed now. Should have it here before Summer is my goal.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Signed up for AZ-104 in March off the MS Ignite credit.

Anybody ever take it? What was your experience with it? Resources that are must have?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Have you done any Azure stuff yet? Have you done any general cloud computing? That would inform people's response on what info to suggest.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

incoherent posted:

Have you done any Azure stuff yet? Have you done any general cloud computing? That would inform people's response on what info to suggest.

The Microsoft ignite tests and the training videos on Itprotv when i can spare a moment at work. So yeah, I’m going from basically zero.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I did AZ-104 earlier this year but I had done AZ-900 previously (both certs from the Microsoft Ignite challenge)

I found Microsoft's training to be quite good. For Az-104 specifically they provide a bunch of labs you can test on.
I only dipped into some video courses on Pluralsight to review some concepts I didn't grasp the first time.

I would just start with the free content from Microsoft and go from there.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I too was going to recommend the fundamentals as its less technical but sets you up to describe not just azure but cloud computing to non-technical people. Plus, because its baseline you can easily do an apples-apples to the AWS counter parts should you encounter a blended hybrid shop, etc. Also this test is free from microsoft should you pursue it.

Personal recommendation: sign up for online learning from o'riley. it's 50 bucks a month but if you did you'd get access to microsoft official study exam, official microsoft CBT, and 3rd party books & CBTs.

And, I personally just signed up in the service for a live azure az-104 crash course in february! So thank you for making me go dig into my account!

incoherent fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 31, 2021

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
This is a really good full free course for AZ-900 which has been plagiarised on numerous occasions on Udemy and the ilk.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Plus if you smash out AZ-900 and use the free ms learn training, a bunch of that is the same training for 104

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

https://www.udemy.com/course/network_plus_exam

may get the N10-007 pack tomorrow. Is 6 exams enough tho? I assume you can retake them, its just 6 variants?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Dandywalken posted:

https://www.udemy.com/course/network_plus_exam

may get the N10-007 pack tomorrow. Is 6 exams enough tho? I assume you can retake them, its just 6 variants?

Pretty much, though there will be a few recycled questions. Most of the performance based ones should be different though.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

A bit random, but I was going to schedule my Sec+ and was looking at the ID requirements for CompTIA testing and I have my drivers license ok, but it doesn’t look like they take the Social Security Card for a second form, so I pulled out my passport…and it’s expired.

The question is, does anyone happen to know if the expired passport will work for my second form?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

navyjack posted:

A bit random, but I was going to schedule my Sec+ and was looking at the ID requirements for CompTIA testing and I have my drivers license ok, but it doesn’t look like they take the Social Security Card for a second form, so I pulled out my passport…and it’s expired.

The question is, does anyone happen to know if the expired passport will work for my second form?

I think they'll also except like a debit/credit card with your name on it as well.
https://www.comptia.org/testing/testing-policies-procedures/test-policies/candidate-id-policy

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think they'll also except like a debit/credit card with your name on it as well.
https://www.comptia.org/testing/testing-policies-procedures/test-policies/candidate-id-policy

I hadn’t thought about credit cards having signatures on the back. I wonder if I tweeted at them they’d hit me back?

Edit: There’s a note a bit further down about how to contact them for ID questions. I’ll try that.

navyjack fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 4, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

navyjack posted:

Not sure about Comptia but I once showed up at PearsonVue with a passport that expired 2-3 days earlier and they didn’t accept it.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Any success stories with WIOA grants getting certificates? I got cold called from a place called Microtrain.

Looks like id have to wait to get laid off and I can get $4000 grant for A, security, network coursework and vouchers with a community college. Any other way I can game it to get at this grant?

Uno Venova
Jan 19, 2020
So what are the bare minimum entry level jobs you can apply for with an A+ and AWS CCP Certification? What's the job titles?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Uno Venova posted:

So what are the bare minimum entry level jobs you can apply for with an A+ and AWS CCP Certification? What's the job titles?

Throw AWS CCP into indeed and look at the job postings.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
Speaking of AWS, I'm coming from on prem infrastructure and private cloud. Started studying the AWS cert path to get with the times, and I'm super impressed with the overall flexibility with the infrastructure engineering/administration options. For those that work exclusively with Azure/AWS/GCP, is this all smoke and mirrors?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Uno Venova posted:

I’m not sure either are really worth much on their own without experience. Get the associate eng cert and then you might be talking. Set up a consulting gig, do some AWS projects for your friends/family and put them on your resume.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Speaking of AWS, I'm coming from on prem infrastructure and private cloud. Started studying the AWS cert path to get with the times, and I'm super impressed with the overall flexibility with the infrastructure engineering/administration options. For those that work exclusively with Azure/AWS/GCP, is this all smoke and mirrors?

It's not effortless, but it sure as gently caress beats on prem. My current place and all their engineers are gung ho about on prem and it makes me miserable.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 12, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Like, I am in the middle of a project where the whole tech department is waiting on baited breath for me to prove that VDIs can perform well in the cloud. Not worried about data locality issues, not worried about cost. Literally not convinced that a VDI can perform as well in a public cloud as it can in vSphere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best thing about cloud is you don't lose a year every 3-4 years to procuring, implementing and migrating from old hardware and dealing with capex bids.

Uno Venova
Jan 19, 2020

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m not sure either are really worth much on their own without experience. Get the associate eng cert and then you might be talking. Set up a consulting gig, do some AWS projects for your friends/family and put them on your resume.

You're talking about the Solutions Architect and/or the Sysops Admin right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Uno Venova posted:

You're talking about the Solutions Architect and/or the Sysops Admin right?

Yeah, sorry, they somewhat blur together at this point. I would consider the associate solutions architect the real baseline AWS cert. CCP is for sales and Directors up imo. It’s not really meant to be a technical certification.