Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Boba Pearl posted:

Network+
Linux+
Security+
AWS Sysops Admin
AZ-104
AS in Network, Security, and Information Technology

Do I leave all of that on my resume, and order them in importance to the job, or do I leave some off and some on? I also have A+ but I don't think that matters compared to everything else.

If you're still in the early stages of your career and trying to land your first or second IT job, I'd keep them all on the resume (Except for the A+). They'll help get pass the HR filter, and they can be talking points during interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Net+ mmmmmmACQUIRED

Only bullshit question that stuck with me this time was something about max permissible wattage over a certain type of ethernet cable.

Mike Myers stuff helped a ton. Prof Messer helped with the rest. 762, but gently caress it, I'll take it

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Congrats! :hfive:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dandywalken posted:

Net+ mmmmmmACQUIRED

Only bullshit question that stuck with me this time was something about max permissible wattage over a certain type of ethernet cable.

Mike Myers stuff helped a ton. Prof Messer helped with the rest. 762, but gently caress it, I'll take it

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Techni...0wall%20wiring.

Depening on cable AWG (diameter is key) you can only make it pass a certain amount of power reliably. Bigger the AWG, the less power it can push.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

SlowBloke posted:

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Techni...0wall%20wiring.

Depening on cable AWG (diameter is key) you can only make it pass a certain amount of power reliably. Bigger the AWG, the less power it can push.

while this is true, I really loving doubt anyone's doing DIY POE in 2022 which is the only time I can think that would be relevant. CompTIA asks some really loving stupid questions, and it'd be nice if they were at all competent at test writing or composition. my diagnosis is too many STEM nerds and no pedagogists

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

tokin opposition posted:

while this is true, I really loving doubt anyone's doing DIY POE in 2022 which is the only time I can think that would be relevant. CompTIA asks some really loving stupid questions, and it'd be nice if they were at all competent at test writing or composition. my diagnosis is too many STEM nerds and no pedagogists

Even if you buy premade, it's stil a valid if niche question. Depending on how cheap CAT6 you buy, you could get awg28(cheap patch) or awg26(expensive patch) rather than the conventional awg24(rigid plenum).

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Was the question regarding the cable or PoE/PoE+/PoE++ maximums cause if it was the former they are just asking people to use brain dumps for now on. There’s no way they are expecting people to know capabilities based off wiring thickness.

Unless the question was something like “what’s the maximum wattage you can power over fiber optics.”

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cyks posted:

Was the question regarding the cable or PoE/PoE+/PoE++ maximums cause if it was the former they are just asking people to use brain dumps for now on. There’s no way they are expecting people to know capabilities based off wiring thickness.

Unless the question was something like “what’s the maximum wattage you can power over fiber optics.”

Until very recently awg28 was rated 15w only while 30w was awg24-26 territory(which might make it a old "gotcha" question never removed from the question pool). Cheap awg28 wires pushing 30w gets crispy at long distances.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 3, 2022

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hello!

My dad has suggested that I look into getting Security+ Certification.

I know enough about computers to build my own, but have no formal education in networking or security.

Where should I start this process? What courses on (ex: Udemy) would serve as a good jumping off point?

I should note that I have a Bachelors degree in Nursing and currently work as an RN Supervisor for a Health Department. I'm tired of low pay and commuting to an office every day.

Plz Halp

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Get into nursing informatics. It's basically computer people with nursing degrees, and a niche but high demand/pay area.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Professor Messer on YouTube is free.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Annath posted:

Hello!

My dad has suggested that I look into getting Security+ Certification.

I know enough about computers to build my own, but have no formal education in networking or security.

Where should I start this process? What courses on (ex: Udemy) would serve as a good jumping off point?

I should note that I have a Bachelors degree in Nursing and currently work as an RN Supervisor for a Health Department. I'm tired of low pay and commuting to an office every day.

Plz Halp

Hey fellow nursing buddy. What Unknown said, check out nursing informatics. I worked in the ICU then left the bedside to get into informatics, and it was the best choice ever because I really enjoy tech. If you're actively looking to pivot into a technical role, touch base with your informatics team and see if you can help out or get involved as a superuser etc...

*Just saw that your working out of an office and not a hospital. Check out the local hospitals and health systems in your area and review their job listings for: clinical informatics, nursing informatics, business intelligence etc...

** If you're completely over healthcare, I understand. I bounced out of a clinical informatics job last year and am doing data work now in an entirely new domain. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 10, 2022

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Honestly, I'm open to either possibility, but I feel like I would be more marketable if I was to get some training/certs out of the way.

I'm located in Virginia, so there are a TON of jobs based in DC, but I hate Northern VA and would highly prefer to work remote rather than go up there regularly.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind relocating to say, Richmond or Charlottesville if the money was right.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cyks posted:

It was "Which of these ethernet cable types can pass up to 55 watts?" Then had Cat 6, LC (throwaway choice) then two 802 3 standards.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Edit: disastrous attempted quote.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Maybe this has been posted already but just in case it hasn't, ServiceNow is offering free on-demand ServiceNow Fundamentals course and exam voucher for the Certified System Administrator (CSA) exam if you complete the course before Aug 31st - https://nowlearning.servicenow.com/lxp?id=learning_path_prev&path_id=6b78901c1b748050b1c7fe631a4bcb73

This is a good deal if you're interested in becoming a ServiceNow system administrator. When I was getting my CSA, my company had to pay around 2k for course + voucher ( edit: to clarify, the only way to get a voucher to sit the exam is to take the course)

Danith fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 15, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Does anyone have a recommendation for learning SQL? A quick course now is fine but would like to get a certification if possible since the new job requires it after the first year of employment.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Zil posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for learning SQL? A quick course now is fine but would like to get a certification if possible since the new job requires it after the first year of employment.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/tutorials-for-sql-server-2016?view=sql-server-ver16

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/educational-sql-resources?view=sql-server-ver16

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zil posted:

Any idea which cert they want you to have? There's a bunch of stuff out there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

skipdogg posted:

Any idea which cert they want you to have? There's a bunch of stuff out there.

To be honest I don't know. Would think to start with the fundamentals and work on specializing from there once I get a feel for what the job demands.

Thank you.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Alright goons. My CCNA expires next February, but I'd like to renew it sooner rather than later as I'm currently feeling that I'm not up to snuff enough for my current job, and I'd like to really dive back into studying. I passed the CCNA the day before the test changed and used Mike Meyer's book to study, which I really, really enjoyed. Is there anything comparable to that for the new test? I'd prefer a book to video courses - I have access to plenty of hardware to experiment with and learn on. I'm also expected to get the PCNSE for my job, but I feel like the CCNA is a better place to start, and keeping it active is also required.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Oyster posted:

Alright goons. My CCNA expires next February, but I'd like to renew it sooner rather than later as I'm currently feeling that I'm not up to snuff enough for my current job, and I'd like to really dive back into studying. I passed the CCNA the day before the test changed and used Mike Meyer's book to study, which I really, really enjoyed. Is there anything comparable to that for the new test? I'd prefer a book to video courses - I have access to plenty of hardware to experiment with and learn on. I'm also expected to get the PCNSE for my job, but I feel like the CCNA is a better place to start, and keeping it active is also required.

I can't really vouch for any books for current CCNA content but I do want to mention CE.

For the CCNA you can renew using CE from https://digital-learning.cisco.com/#/search Just look for courses that say CE credits and are not marked as "Not Subscribed". There's 61 CEs available for free and you only need 30 for associate level. Alternatively pay $100 and do https://developer.cisco.com/certification/fundamentals/ which is good for 48 CEs.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Lucinice posted:

I've never considered registering myself as a corporate entity. I'll have to look into that. For now I've just been learning python because I've noticed a lot of jobs asking for it and I've always wanted to learn coding.
Actually I've changed my mind. I'm going to focus on trying to get the net+ or CCNA because getting a sys admin job sounds like a good plan. That said I should not that not only do I not have any certifications like I mentioned but I also didn't graduate in any sort of computer science program. So I'm wondering if I'm going to need more than one cert to get a sys admin job.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I signed up for A+ and Security+ exam prep through Udemy. Something that I can work on at my own pace in the evenings and weekends.

I also applied for a Nursing Informatics job... in Minnesota (I'm a lifelong resident of Virginia)... so we'll see what happens there.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Lucinice posted:

Actually I've changed my mind. I'm going to focus on trying to get the net+ or CCNA because getting a sys admin job sounds like a good plan. That said I should not that not only do I not have any certifications like I mentioned but I also didn't graduate in any sort of computer science program. So I'm wondering if I'm going to need more than one cert to get a sys admin job.

CCNA was enough to get me my first network technician job at an MSP and I used that to springboard into a network engineer position that I need to refresh for. It's definitely enough.

Cyks posted:

I can't really vouch for any books for current CCNA content but I do want to mention CE.

For the CCNA you can renew using CE from https://digital-learning.cisco.com/#/search Just look for courses that say CE credits and are not marked as "Not Subscribed". There's 61 CEs available for free and you only need 30 for associate level. Alternatively pay $100 and do https://developer.cisco.com/certification/fundamentals/ which is good for 48 CEs.

Thank you for this. I checked out my recertification path and apparently there was an extension in March 2020 that now has my CCNA expiring in August next year instead of February, which is neat, but I could still use the refresher. When I mentioned that to my direct boss his immediate reaction was "That is certainly useful information. Any interest in pursuing the CCIE?" and uh....interest, sure, but I got a long way before I can even think about taking the CCIE exam. Let's start with renewing the CCNA, then the CCNP, then we can talk about what the CCIE entails.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Passing any CCNP level exam will renew your CCNA also if you think you can hop up into it. No need to waste time if you don't just want to go back for review.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Oyster posted:

CCNA was enough to get me my first network technician job at an MSP and I used that to springboard into a network engineer position that I need to refresh for. It's definitely enough.

got any suggestions on how I can learn it?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Lucinice posted:

got any suggestions on how I can learn it?
ngl I find networking a somewhat hard topic to start self studying as there are so many different concepts that work together that it’s hard to narrow down where to begin.

If I was starting fresh into studying networking I’d actually start with the free learning modules from Juniper Networks. They are designed for their certifications but core networking concepts are going to be the same and they are really well made. You also want to familiarize yourself with the Cisco White Pages and use it look up concepts on the certification blueprints. Also highly recommend Cisco packet tracer, a free learning tool to test out basic configurations which is more than enough for the CCNA level.

As far as material, I’d look into subscribing to the Udemy personal plan for $30/mo that gives you access to thousands of videos including quite a few for networking. If there’s any that you really like and you want to keep after your subscription expires buy them on sale.

Be weary of forums like r/CCNA. It can be a good check-on-learning for yourself to see if you can answer the questions on there but it’s filled with other people at a similar knowledge level and I’ve seen wrong answers being the most upvoted many times.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Well it sounds challenging, but if the CCNA will help me more in this situation than the Network + then I'll do it.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Lucinice posted:

Well it sounds challenging, but if the CCNA will help me more in this situation than the Network + then I'll do it.

I started with net+ and sec+ so I already had knowledge of subnetting, and I took it the day before the test changed and became an amalgamation of three tests. The CCNA is worth more than the net+, but the net+ rewarded learning subnetting. The CCNA is also what got me out of printer hell.

I found Packet Tracer to be an invaluable t it's free when you make a Cisco account. They even have courses centered on using it with networking concepts. I really liked Mike Meyer's book, but I don't know if he has one for the updated test.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 18, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
wait CCNA doesn't cover subnetting? sounds like i've made my decision between it and net+

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

wait CCNA doesn't cover subnetting? sounds like i've made my decision between it and net+

It definitely, definitely does.

I recently passed it and my #1 tip to coworkers was to make sure you can do subnet calcs in your head.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rudager posted:

It definitely, definitely does.

I recently passed it and my #1 tip to coworkers was to make sure you can do subnet calcs in your head.

not on the current round of tests.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

tokin opposition posted:

I meant that as "being rewarded for knowing subnetting before starting to study for the CCNA helped", subnetting was def on the CCNA when I took it, even if for questions like "which two of these computers can't communicate" and it's the ones on different subnets.

wargames posted:

not on the current round of tests.

This is news and also wild. I know nothing about the current round, which is kinda why I want to renew mine by retaking.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Oyster posted:

I started with net+ and sec+ so I already had knowledge of subnetting, and I took it the day before the test changed and became an amalgamation of three tests. The CCNA is worth more than the net+, but the net+ rewarded learning subnetting. The CCNA is also what got me out of printer hell.

I found Packet Tracer to be an invaluable t it's free when you make a Cisco account. They even have courses centered on using it with networking concepts. I really liked Mike Meyer's book, but I don't know if he has one for the updated test.

I've taken a networking class in the past and it went over subnetting so I should be fine there.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Even my pre 2020 CCNA and post CCNP specialty certs didn’t really have much subnetting on it. Typically it’s hidden behind a question like “device A can’t communicate with device B in a layer 2 environment” and the solution is the masks are wrong. Also neither level includes sims anymore so it’s even easier to identify.

Still extremely useful to know, I just wouldn’t spend as much focus on it as people tend to do.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ok, taking my network+ in a week and a half, after passing Sec+ in Feb. I have a pretty good grip on subnetting, ports, and cabling bandwidth. Any other areas where I should be sure to memorize for test day? Like did you finish and were like “ooh I wish I’d memorized the difference between EAP, EAP-FAST, and LEAP or some other dumb poo poo?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

navyjack posted:

Ok, taking my network+ in a week and a half, after passing Sec+ in Feb. I have a pretty good grip on subnetting, ports, and cabling bandwidth. Any other areas where I should be sure to memorize for test day? Like did you finish and were like “ooh I wish I’d memorized the difference between EAP, EAP-FAST, and LEAP or some other dumb poo poo?

I think one of the questions that threw me away back when I took it was related to VPN handshake order of operations and protocols.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

navyjack posted:

The 802.11 standards in terms of operating frequencies, data throughput, etc. For the cabling stuff, be sure to know max lengths etc too as well as connector types for ethernet and fiber. Knowing basic differences between TACAS+ and RADIUS too helped too.

This was for the 07 though, but I imagine its still the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

The 802.11 standards in terms of operating frequencies, data throughput, etc. For the cabling stuff, be sure to know max lengths etc too as well as connector types for ethernet and fiber. Knowing basic differences between TACAS+ and RADIUS too helped too.

This was for the 07 though, but I imagine its still the same.

I’m taking the 07 on the last day it’s offered :haw:

Thanks for the tip!