Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Alder posted:

Alright, thanks. I figured since I'm fairly new I'd be better off completing A+ then N+ then moving on but I don't see a help desk jobs offers really getting any better even if I had A+. Regardless I will keep trying to send apps I guess.

Skip the A+ anyways, it's literally only good for desktop junky jobs. It may help lead in to Microsoft exams but those are going to require a lot of job experience to pass because of the minutia involved. At least N+ shows you're moving towards junior admin roles, and leads in nicely to the ccnet exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If he's seriously considering WGU then passing A+ is a base requirement for any of the BS Information Technology tracks and worth 8 credits.

Yeah, it's a fairly worthless cert ,and I wouldn't ever put it on my CV, but it might be a consideration.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Marshall Louis posted:

Do you have an idea of what you'd want to work on within IT?

Ideally a career that would pay higher than $22k and some kind of health insurance.

System Admin would be great. Everyone tells me if I manage to break into the IT field w/o a degree/certs I'd need to start from help desk roles.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Skip the A+ anyways, it's literally only good for desktop junky jobs. It may help lead in to Microsoft exams but those are going to require a lot of job experience to pass because of the minutia involved. At least N+ shows you're moving towards junior admin roles, and leads in nicely to the ccnet exam.

Alright, will look into N+ requirements so I get a better idea how to proceed.

Ozu posted:

If he's seriously considering WGU then passing A+ is a base requirement for any of the BS Information Technology tracks and worth 8 credits.

Yeah, it's a fairly worthless cert ,and I wouldn't ever put it on my CV, but it might be a consideration.

My original plan was find help desk jobs and fund my A+ certs/WGU but right now it's on standstill due to being jobless. I looked into local CC programs but they don't really offer much unless it's Computer Info Systems which is related to Business.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Alder posted:

Ideally a career that would pay higher than $22k and some kind of health insurance.

System Admin would be great. Everyone tells me if I manage to break into the IT field w/o a degree/certs I'd need to start from help desk roles.

Alright, will look into N+ requirements so I get a better idea how to proceed.

My original plan was find help desk jobs and fund my A+ certs/WGU but right now it's on standstill due to being jobless. I looked into local CC programs but they don't really offer much unless it's Computer Info Systems which is related to Business.

What area are you in? Higher than 22k should be manageable from your very first helpdesk or MSP job.

N+ Requirements: Read book, take test. Super simple as far as certs go, and should land you a job if you've got a decent personality.

I don't think a CC certification program has helped anybody in IT. I looked into it originally as well, thinking it would be useful, and quickly realized it's 10 times more expensive than industry certs and 1/10 the value on a resume.

Also I totally forgot A+ is on my WGU requirements so I guess I better start studying for it.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just passed the 220-802 and am now A+ce certified. This is my first industry cert, despite several years of IT work experience. Can someone give me a dumbed down explanation of CompTIA CEU's? Are they preferable to just taking the test? When they say you only have to retest your highest level test, does this mean that if I take S+/N+ (this is what I'm doing, in that order) that I will only have to recert one of them every 3 years? Time to start studying for security.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TEH Zombie Penguin posted:

Just passed the 220-802 and am now A+ce certified. This is my first industry cert, despite several years of IT work experience. Can someone give me a dumbed down explanation of CompTIA CEU's? Are they preferable to just taking the test? When they say you only have to retest your highest level test, does this mean that if I take S+/N+ (this is what I'm doing, in that order) that I will only have to recert one of them every 3 years? Time to start studying for security.

Sec+ is the highest on that list, so it will automatically renew your N+ and A+

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

I don't know anything about CEUs (that is, the little training modules or whatnot, with the annual fees that they make you pay) and will continue to ignore them.

That said, I can kinda still answer your question. The CompTIA hierarchy is A+ --> N+ --> S+ --> CASP.

If you want to keep your A+ certification, within three years you need to either retake and pass A+, or take and pass any of the higher-level certifications.

Given that you say you'll be going for your S+ and then your N+, things will be a little backwards for you. S+ will refresh your A+ expiration date. When you get N+, it'll refresh your A+ expiration date, but it won't have any effect on your S+, because S+ is higher than N+.

And so it's clear, once you have all three, your option is to basically either retake and pass the S+ certification, or to go up to the CASP. Either one would renew all of your previous certifications.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is the CASP actually worth having? I'm looking at going into security and I've heard it's the Comptia version of the CISSP, which...doesn't sound appealing at all.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Is the CASP actually worth having? I'm looking at going into security and I've heard it's the Comptia version of the CISSP, which...doesn't sound appealing at all.

No idea, I kinda consider myself done with CompTIA. I guess I might renew my S+ in 3 years depending on where I'm at, but I doubt it.

I forgot to say that all of this renewal talk is moot because, assuming that dude gets all those certs and has been working in the industry for the next 3 years, renewing A+ will be at the bottom of his list of priorities.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yeah once you get to certs you actually care about keeping recertified, you will probably have a job that will pay for them

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kashuno posted:

It's worth it if you need 8570 certification for IASAE Level I or II and don't want to study for CISSP. Other than that, meh.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I don't think a CC certification program has helped anybody in IT. I looked into it originally as well, thinking it would be useful, and quickly realized it's 10 times more expensive than industry certs and 1/10 the value on a resume.

I have two community college degrees (not certifications, there's a difference) which are IT-related. They have helped me land jobs, argue for better salary/benefits, etc.

Also I only hire from the local CC for entry level roles. It at least assures me that the person that I'm interviewing can write semi-coherently and follow instructions. Way better than interviewing random people from Bruegger's or whatever who have decided to stop cutting bagels and get into IT by getting their A+ and spamming out resumes. It also means I know what material has been covered and roughly what their knowledge level is/ought to be, so helps me tailor interviews as well.

I could write a really long winded post about the community college aspect of IT education, but I'm well aware that our system (North Carolina) is actually pretty great and probably not the norm compared to most other states so it wouldn't really be applicable to most of the thread.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 16, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I got my IT career start thanks to a local community college program. I'm a big proponent of community colleges when it comes to IT education.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

skipdogg posted:

I got my IT career start thanks to a local community college program. I'm a big proponent of community colleges when it comes to IT education.

Was it an Associates degree with an IT specialty? Or a straight up "Computer Science Certification" program that was 12 classes and didn't end in a degree?

My community college offered 4 different Comp Sci cert tracks that didn't end with any sort of degree, and was geared towards people who already had their associates or wanted schooling but couldn't afford the time for a full degree. 12 classes at $300 a credit hour came out to like 10k, and while it did offer classes you'd find in most college degree tracks that's a lot of money for a "Community College Certified" label.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

That said, I can kinda still answer your question. The CompTIA hierarchy is A+ --> N+ --> S+ --> CASP.

Ah, my mistake. I guess I will do the N+ first then. Good to know, and thank you for the information! The thought of having to pay to take all three of these tests every 3 years was a little unpleasant. Now I feel better about it.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 16, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ah, my mistake. I guess I will do the N+ first then. Good to know, and thank you for the information! The thought of having to pay to take all three of these tests every 3 years was a little unpleasant. Now I feel better about it.

I would be shocked if you ever renewed any of them, and especially shocked if you paid for it.

You'll be paying for certs that cost 5x as much, instead.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I would be shocked if you ever renewed any of them, and especially shocked if you paid for it.

You'll be paying for certs that cost 5x as much, instead.

I'm going to school right now for a CIS bachelors and I got my GI Bill to pay for the certs, so that's that. Why would I not renew them?

But on the matter of shocking you, I pay out of my own pocket and get reimbursed. Still, better than paying and not getting reimbursed or just not taking any tests.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 16, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm going to school right now for a CIS bachelors and I got my GI Bill to pay for the certs, so that's that. Why would I not renew them?

Because you won't need them. Sec+ is the only one that might be remotely useful with 3 years of IT experience, and I guarantee if you need it, your employer will pay for it.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

S+ might be worth keeping depending on where you're working because it satisfies a security requirement for some government agencies. I think the idea is that by the time your entry level certs are expiring you would hopefully be working on a more advanced certification that would greatly eclipse an A+ or N+ or whatever.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I see. On the matter of S+, I'm definitely not going back into any kind of DoD work after the Army. Honestly I'm just trying to make better use of my time while I go to school. I've always wanted to take a crack at CompTIA but after doing the A+ I can see what people mean about it being kind of retarded/for retards. The overall intention was to do these three and then start in on an MCSA because I did SysAd crap in the military and I guess that's what I more or less study the most.

I'm definitely open to advice. As for work, I'll probably be applying most for soul-crushing Oregon state IT positions, or whatever. :laffo:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I have two T1 technicians who are great. When they started, I recommended that they consider going for A+, since we pay for certifications. I framed it as good, basic foundation knowledge, it's weirdly well-regarded in my organization, and they get a taste of what the whole certification process is like. They both decided they wanted to, and began studying for it.

...6-9 months have passed, and they're still ostensibly preparing for it. I've kind of tried to hint that it's probably no longer worth it. :/

I see. On the matter of S+, I'm definitely not going back into any kind of DoD work after the Army. Honestly I'm just trying to make better use of my time while I go to school. I've always wanted to take a crack at CompTIA but after doing the A+ I can see what people mean about it being kind of retarded/for retards. The overall intention was to do these three and then start in on an MCSA because I did SysAd crap in the military and I guess that's what I more or less study the most.

I'm definitely open to advice. As for work, I'll probably be applying most for soul-crushing Oregon state IT positions, or whatever. :laffo:

N+ and S+ are both much better than the A+. They're still both pretty easy and very generic/theory-based, but I'm definitely glad I got my N+. It's like babby's first CCENT, and it gave me an understanding of networking that helped in a lot of basic troubleshooting and just general conceptualization of things happening behind the scenes that I'd never touch in my daily job.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's definitely good stuff to know, but the A+ at least was definitely on a whole other level of stupid compared to my professional experience. I'd say I spent ~30 hours studying (doing Sybex practice quizzes) over the course of a month between both the 801/802 and they were still pretty easy. I'm still going to do the N+/S+ just to say I did and because they're basically free for me.

Oh, should I get the Meyers book or the Lammie book to study for the N+?

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 16, 2016

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

It's definitely good stuff to know, but the A+ at least was definitely on a whole other level of stupid compared to my professional experience. I'd say I spent ~30 hours studying (doing Sybex practice quizzes) over the course of a month between both the 801/802 and they were still pretty easy. I'm still going to do the N+/S+ just to say I did and because they're basically free for me.

Oh, should I get the Meyers book or the Lammie book to study for the N+?

I used Meyers when I took it (3 years ago) because I liked his A+ book, and I liked it. But based on Lammle's CCNA book, which I also like, I think you're fine with either.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Network+ is a good cert to get if you've never taken a cert exam before. It's a fairly straightforward exam, the exam objectives are clearly laid out and there are lots of resources available online since it's a relatively common exam. It's also a fairly broad exam so there are things you will learn from it that will apply in many other cert exams.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What area are you in? Higher than 22k should be manageable from your very first helpdesk or MSP job.

N+ Requirements: Read book, take test. Super simple as far as certs go, and should land you a job if you've got a decent personality.

Also I totally forgot A+ is on my WGU requirements so I guess I better start studying for it.

I'm in NYC and everything costs so much.

A+ is only required if I didn't have 2 yrs of IT work exp for WGU or Associates.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Alder posted:

I'm in NYC and everything costs so much.

A+ is only required if I didn't have 2 yrs of IT work exp for WGU or Associates.

Requirement as in it's one of the classes for every IT degree track. If you have it before you sign up, they waive that class for you. If you don't have it, you'll end up getting it anyway.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Requirement as in it's one of the classes for every IT degree track. If you have it before you sign up, they waive that class for you. If you don't have it, you'll end up getting it anyway.

Really? I wanted to transfer to WGU for their Info tech program but I didn't have enough work exp and they said I needed to get a A+ done to qualify otherwise I'd get rejected since it's a degree program.

http://www.wgu.edu/admissions/it_requirements

Alder fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 17, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Alder posted:

Really? I wanted to transfer to WGU for their Info tech program but I didn't have enough work exp and they said I needed to get a A+ done to qualify otherwise I'd get rejected since it's a degree program.

http://www.wgu.edu/admissions/it_requirements

Any cert works as long as you got it in the last 5 years. I have N+ and CCNA, so the A+ is absolutely worthless to me, yet the program will still require I get it as one of my courses. Still hardly a downside to a degree track as it should be easy and I can throw it on my resume for the "look how long this loving list of certs is" factor

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Replaced Hyper-V with ESXi 6.0u1 on my lab box. Was kind of a pain in the rear end because VMWare apparently doesn't support most desktop hardware by default so you have to hack that poo poo in there manually.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Any cert works as long as you got it in the last 5 years. I have N+ and CCNA, so the A+ is absolutely worthless to me, yet the program will still require I get it as one of my courses. Still hardly a downside to a degree track as it should be easy and I can throw it on my resume for the "look how long this loving list of certs is" factor

:cripes:

I kept thinking one I got a higher cert I could skip the lower level certs and save time/money.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It's true. Just start with a ccna.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

^^

If you get a CCNA, nobody will give a poo poo that you don't have anything from CompTIA. I refuse to get a CompTIA cert out of principal, and I just got my VCP5-DCV that I totally don't need.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I will say that if you live anywhere near Washington DC, a Security+ is basically mandatory.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Alain Post posted:

I will say that if you live anywhere near Washington DC, a Security+ is basically mandatory.

Yep; this is very true. It's annoying, but worth grabbing. It's the only CompTIA cert with any real value, given that you have some other cert.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KillHour posted:

^^

If you get a CCNA, nobody will give a poo poo that you don't have anything from CompTIA. I refuse to get a CompTIA cert out of principal, and I just got my VCP5-DCV that I totally don't need.

I actually have an A+ and I don't think I've put it on a single resume I've sent out. Microsoft and Cisco have been sufficient

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

vyst posted:

I actually have an A+ and I don't think I've put it on a single resume I've sent out. Microsoft and Cisco have been sufficient

Same, no way I've ever put A+ on my resumé.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I put my A+ on my resume for my first IT job, but I would never consider it again. N+ Maybe, S+ yes.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Cisco cert questions: If a cert like a CCENT expires, but you write a new exam shortly after, does it retroactively re-up your expired exam? Eg. Expire in January and pass an exam in February.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Ashley Madison posted:

Cisco cert questions: If a cert like a CCENT expires, but you write a new exam shortly after, does it retroactively re-up your expired exam? Eg. Expire in January and pass an exam in February.

No, as far as I'm aware there are only grace periods like this for CCIE level certifications.

See the "Suspended" portion of the Recertification section: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/expert/ccie-routing-switching.html#~Recert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ashley Madison posted:

I don't think cisco will let you write another exam if your ccent lapsed. Unless it's the ccda which if I remember correctly is the only one that doesn't require the ccent as a pre-req.