Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

skipdogg posted:

That's Sysco lol

everyone wrong ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Well I have yet to step foot into a routing class so please forgive me thread. :ohdear:

At least that will be next semester.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I took MCSA 2012 R2 70-410 today. That sucked rear end. No questions on what I concentrated on, and I got educated on how little I really knew. 562.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Keith Stone posted:

I took MCSA 2012 R2 70-410 today. That sucked rear end. No questions on what I concentrated on, and I got educated on how little I really knew. 562.

Out of all the tests towards my MCSE; the 70-410 is the only one I needed to take a second time. It's a nice kick in the rear end to get you on your way. You'll do better next time.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Keith Stone posted:

What's passing? 70-410 is next on my list after RHCSA. What parts did you feel unprepared for? Were there lots of multiple choice PowerShell cmdlets with minor differences or was it less evil than that?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Passed part 2 of my Linux+ / LPIC-1 today. Still pretty difficult but easier than the first exam. Part 1 covered hardware / kernel / system configuration, which was all written and designed before Linux became more user friendly. There's a lot of legacy poo poo on that test. Part 2 is administration which is muuuuch more user friendly, so the test was inherently easier. The way the questions were asked was still harder than any other CompTIA test I've seen and they ask for some fairly deep knowledge.

Glad to have this behind me though in my quest for as many +'s on my resume as possible!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Nards Pan posted:

What's passing? 70-410 is next on my list after RHCSA. What parts did you feel unprepared for? Were there lots of multiple choice PowerShell cmdlets with minor differences or was it less evil than that?

700/1000 is passing on a Microsoft Exam unless it's recently changed.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

The Nards Pan posted:

As mentioned earlier, 700 out of 1000 points. 47 questions. All MC or problem solving with exhibits. What screwed me was rushing. I spent too much time trying to master subjects I thought I was weak on. What I wasn't expecting was so much practical exercises and dealing with excessive information.

ZERO percent was regurgitation. Hands on experience is worth twice the same amount of time doing traditional studying. Group Policy kicked my rear end. Knowing what it is and how you DO it was worthless without the ability to fix problems.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Spectracide posted:

Woot, passed RHCSA! 283/300. I thought it being practical was really fun. I used every minute and could've used more.

My employer paid for the 5 day rapid track classroom training. I was worried about the accelerated pace but the Red Hat instructor was excellent. I usually self study for certs with a book so I'm impressed in the amount of info that was condensed into 4 days. Plus you get the "this probably will/won't be on the exam" hints.

How quickly did they email you the score? I was told three business days but it's been a full week and nothing but silence. I just sent them a support ticket.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

MrKatharsis posted:

How quickly did they email you the score? I was told three business days but it's been a full week and nothing but silence. I just sent them a support ticket.

I was told three business days too but it came sooner than that. Took the exam Friday morning, got the email Sunday afternoon.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Same day as me! You didn't happen to take it in Bellevue, WA by any chance?

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

MrKatharsis posted:

Same day as me! You didn't happen to take it in Bellevue, WA by any chance?

Nope, I was in Herndon, VA.

I'm currently going through Splunk's web based training for their Power User and then Admin certifications. Anyone have experiences with either to share? Couldn't find much info. Looks like the certification tests are delivered online and presumably "open book". Is it all multiple choice? I haven't gotten the impression they're terribly difficult tests.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CISSP Bootcamp Day One:

Initially I walked out of the hotel somewhat discouraged. I did learn a lot but it felt very all over the place and I was worried that I just wasn't "clicking" on the material. I'm doing the camp with Delloite's John Berti which is a pretty big deal in CISSP instruction (I gather). He's VERY no-nonsense and VERY to the point about giving you only the information relevant to the exam so it feels like he's glossing over some items but it's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're going to be doing CISSP in-depth you're not going to take a five day bootcamp anyway.

An hour of going through the provided flash cards helped settle me down because I understood most of the concepts presented, then after an hour break for sanity I went on to go through the first domain in the giant green book and it really flowed well based on the material that was presented. I never really had much doubt that this would prepare me to write the exam on Monday, but that little bit of discouragement between the walk home from the hotel and the initial material review was a little unexpected. I've adjusted my expectations appropriately.

I'm pretty optimistic for the other domains anyway.

Freakout factor about Monday's exam: Down 9%

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Buy the Eric Conrad book and burn through it.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
INEs Black Friday sale is on. If you have work that can pay for it, their all access pass is $699.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MrBigglesworth posted:

NES Black Friday sale is on.
This is what I read. This is what I wanted to read. Why oh why can't I catch a half off on sealed games mega sale?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Spectracide posted:

Woot, passed RHCSA! 283/300. I thought it being practical was really fun. I used every minute and could've used more.

My employer paid for the 5 day rapid track classroom training. I was worried about the accelerated pace but the Red Hat instructor was excellent. I usually self study for certs with a book so I'm impressed in the amount of info that was condensed into 4 days. Plus you get the "this probably will/won't be on the exam" hints.

Do you know/remember what sections you missed points on? I'm just studying the Sander Van Vugt book and doing all the lab exercises in there. I'm feeling pretty good so far but due to the scheduling of the exams I'm either going to have to take it really soon or wait much longer than I want to and gently caress up my timing for RHCE tests.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Passed the RHCSA, 300/300. I used Safari Books Online free trial to watch the Sander videos, and read both Jang and Ghori. A few of my changes didn't survive rebooting so hoorah for checking everything twice. I read all the instructions all the way through before starting and I used the man pages a lot. The nmtui is cool and good.

If I go for the RHCE (though I really should do OCP next) I will definitely pay money for the Sander videos. That dude is a hero. I'm pretty pumped though and I would like to do RHCE just to see how far I can go. The next few chapters of Jang and Ghori look interesting and not too hard.

Red Hat has been having trouble with Microsoft email accounts(live, hotmail, outlook.com), so I didn't get the results email initially, nor did I get the replies to the inquiries I sent using that email. I had to call them up and give them another address. The waiting was pretty teeth clenching but I'm happy with the result overall.

Chaka
Apr 20, 2011
Passed Cisco 300-101 ROUTE this week.

I used Chris Bryants udemy video course and the Cisco Press Book by Diane Teare for preparation.
For lab practice i used VIRL.

The exam itself was not what i expected. A neverending series of TCP/UDP questions with a sprinkle of NTP.

The Simulations were doable and probably saved me from failing.
During one EIGRP Sim, the router responded to "show ip eigrp topo all-links" with "TODO: Implement topology all-links command"

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Finally got my MCSA on 2008. Yes, it 2 OSes older but I started this path in 2013. Failed the 70-646 a hell of a lot.

I'm just glad I can move on to the newer test with BETTER documentation and parity with the test.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.
any swell coupons on tests for cyber monday/black friday?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
INE's been ramming my inbox daily for their current sale. Ends today at midnight.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What sucks is my supervisor who approves my training has been out all week for holiday and his father having heart surgery......GARRARAARRRRRRR

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CISSP exam tomorrow at eight. I put the book down. If I don't have the material by now I certainly won't in the next few hours. I'll probably go through my notes one more time tonight but no more cramming.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good about it, but I'll be damned if I jinx myself.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Martytoof posted:

CISSP exam tomorrow at eight. I put the book down. If I don't have the material by now I certainly won't in the next few hours. I'll probably go through my notes one more time tonight but no more cramming.

You seem like a pretty smart dude, so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is after the fact.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

psydude posted:

You seem like a pretty smart dude, so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is after the fact.

Hoping this is the case, but as always last minute jitters have me in a tizzy.

Thanks for the reassurance though.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
edit: wrong thread, ugh

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 28, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
INE Monday sale for all access pass is normal $999 again. But it comes with an Xbox 1s.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Martytoof posted:

Let us know how it went, hope you made it through allright!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Okay so --

First of all, I passed. Glad to get that out of the way.

As far as difficulty goes, I didn't think it was particularly /easy/, but let me explain why. There were definitely easy questions, and then there were the questions where you can easily narrow down the answer by thinking as if you're explaining it to your CEO. My problem is that there were a lot of questions where I had a technically correct answer and a CEO-correct answer, and I had a really hard time trusting that I needed to pick the CEO answer. In the end it was a bigger test of trusting myself to work the system despite being a fundamentally technical person and being somewhat uncomfortable with the ambiguity of what is less specific than I'd like it explained to me.

There were only five or six questions where I was honestly 100% unsure of the answer, and after narrowing it down to two I just tried to pick the one that sounded most security-technical, or CEO-like.

I used five of my six hours. I was actually finished with the exam after two and a half hours. After the initial go-through I reviewed my flagged questions, of which I had roughly 60-70, then immediately took a break. After quick break I immediately went though the remaining 20-30 flagged questions I didn't satisfy 100% the first time around, did that again, then another break. After the next break I went through my flagged once more then did a review of all 250 questions. I actually flipped my answer of two to three of the ones I had been "sure" of. At the end I was going back and forth on two flagged questions and literally couldn't make up my mind so I just put my flag in the ground and mashed the end exam button and all the warnings that this was final.

Obviously the questions are weighed differently so I can't actually say how I did, but if I were to use linear weighting I'd probably say I was a middle performer. There weren't many that I couldn't answer off the bat, and the ones that I described above were probably not numerous enough to sink me (again, given a linear weighting).

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to never doing that again. Bootcamp and exam made for a very stressful and draining week. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Martytoof posted:

Okay so --

First of all, I passed. Glad to get that out of the way.

As far as difficulty goes, I didn't think it was particularly /easy/, but let me explain why. There were definitely easy questions, and then there were the questions where you can easily narrow down the answer by thinking as if you're explaining it to your CEO. My problem is that there were a lot of questions where I had a technically correct answer and a CEO-correct answer, and I had a really hard time trusting that I needed to pick the CEO answer. In the end it was a bigger test of trusting myself to work the system despite being a fundamentally technical person and being somewhat uncomfortable with the ambiguity of what is less specific than I'd like it explained to me.

There were only five or six questions where I was honestly 100% unsure of the answer, and after narrowing it down to two I just tried to pick the one that sounded most security-technical, or CEO-like.

I used five of my six hours. I was actually finished with the exam after two and a half hours. After the initial go-through I reviewed my flagged questions, of which I had roughly 60-70, then immediately took a break. After quick break I immediately went though the remaining 20-30 flagged questions I didn't satisfy 100% the first time around, did that again, then another break. After the next break I went through my flagged once more then did a review of all 250 questions. I actually flipped my answer of two to three of the ones I had been "sure" of. At the end I was going back and forth on two flagged questions and literally couldn't make up my mind so I just put my flag in the ground and mashed the end exam button and all the warnings that this was final.

Obviously the questions are weighed differently so I can't actually say how I did, but if I were to use linear weighting I'd probably say I was a middle performer. There weren't many that I couldn't answer off the bat, and the ones that I described above were probably not numerous enough to sink me (again, given a linear weighting).

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to never doing that again. Bootcamp and exam made for a very stressful and draining week. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

Nicely done and congrats.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Way to go, Marty :hfive:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! Now I just got confirmation that I've been signed up for CCSP so here we go again :q:

(Not for another quarter though)

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Aaarrrrggg :argh:

Last night I went to purchase my test voucher for the RHCSA coming up in the middle of this month that I've been killing myself studying for in the middle of a 23 credit quarter and the loving thing is cancelled? The red hat site said it was guaranteed to run and I can't get in touch with the testing center to find out what the gently caress is going on.

I know I should just relax and schedule the February test and enjoy extra prep time but I had a pretty well laid plan of which certs to get when in hopes of getting a good internship this summer.

Red Hat seems to offer individual testing in addition to their classroom testing, has anyone done that? It looks like the price is the same and you can schedule it whenever but I can't for the life of me find a list of available locations. If it's only at their offices, there's absolutely nothing in the PNW.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
it's 10 weeks out of the 3-8 week eta so it seems my CCNA R&S certificate has gotten lost in the mail. I emailed them and they dont provide tracking so i'd have to pay da $15 (+ optional tracking) to get another sent. It's not that huge of a deal but still a bummer.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Scheduled CCNA for 12/24. Finished the Odom book last month and now I just have to lab the everloving poo poo out of everything and do practice tests.

It's really creepy that some of the more :psyduck: parts of Cisco's implementation of this poo poo now feel like they make complete sense. (Yeah, PPPoE dialers, talkin' bout your rear end)

Spambort posted:

it's 10 weeks out of the 3-8 week eta so it seems my CCNA R&S certificate has gotten lost in the mail. I emailed them and they dont provide tracking so i'd have to pay da $15 (+ optional tracking) to get another sent. It's not that huge of a deal but still a bummer.

Why didn't you just go for the E-Cert? The E-Cert seems like the more reasonable and pragmatic option in all cases, good sir!

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 7, 2016

Dodgy Graphite
Jan 25, 2011

I JSUT WANTED TO BBE A MODERATOR

ErIog posted:

Also, I say this as a person that has a kanji certificate on my wall. Honest to god, I should not be throwing stones.

that's like the second mention of Japanese you've made in as many posts

need an e-peen boost today or something, dude?

honest to god, you should learn how sad this looks

fake edit: heh, i type this as a person who's faaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Dodgy Graphite posted:

that's like the second mention of Japanese you've made in as many posts

need an e-peen boost today or something, dude?

honest to god, you should learn how sad this looks

fake edit: heh, i type this as a person who's faaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrt

I apologize for triggering you by mentioning where I live/work/have kids/eat Coco Ichiban.

edit: more edits, can't get enough edits

edit: I edited more

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 7, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ErIog posted:

Scheduled CCNA for 12/24. Finished the Odom book last month and now I just have to lab the everloving poo poo out of everything and do practice tests.

It's really creepy that some of the more :psyduck: parts of Cisco's implementation of this poo poo now feel like they make complete sense. (Yeah, PPPoE dialers, talkin' bout your rear end)

Why didn't you just go for the E-Cert? The E-Cert seems like the more reasonable and pragmatic option in all cases, good sir!

Yeah always do e certs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

ErIog posted:

(Yeah, PPPoE dialers, talkin' bout your rear end)

There's more PPPoE magic to come if you keep going down the rabbit hole.