Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Wow are you doing them all at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
For those that did CCNP SWITCH, what was your log jam and what was the break?

Mine is the Dynicmic ARP stuff, VACLs (always hated ACLs in general) and the advanced DHCP stuff. Private VLANs were wonky at first, but starting to get the concept.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Bigass Moth posted:

Wow are you doing them all at once?

Yea it's a boot camp so it's all at once. Sunday is the 412 and flying back home

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MrBigglesworth posted:

For those that did CCNP SWITCH, what was your log jam and what was the break?

Mine is the Dynicmic ARP stuff, VACLs (always hated ACLs in general) and the advanced DHCP stuff. Private VLANs were wonky at first, but starting to get the concept.

I'm about to take my ICND2 and I hate ACL's. They are the only Cisco thing that I really struggle with.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Vintimus Prime posted:

Yea it's a boot camp so it's all at once. Sunday is the 412 and flying back home

Going to hold off on the 412 for a couple of weeks and get additional study time. So much to try and cram, would probably fail if I took it tomorrow.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Man, I don't know how you guys do it. I'm working through 410 book now and even though I've been working with Server 2012 for years, retaining all this info is a real challenge. I'll reread thread to see if there are suggestions posted already, but any study tips that stand out for retaining this stuff? I feel like right now I could tell you that you how to do something in Windows Server but couldn't tell you the Powershell command to do it without looking it up.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Frohike999 posted:

Man, I don't know how you guys do it. I'm working through 410 book now and even though I've been working with Server 2012 for years, retaining all this info is a real challenge. I'll reread thread to see if there are suggestions posted already, but any study tips that stand out for retaining this stuff? I feel like right now I could tell you that you how to do something in Windows Server but couldn't tell you the Powershell command to do it without looking it up.

Flash cards might help with that. My primary methods for retaining information are repetition (flash cards, rereading notes etc) and doing the thing that I am studying how to do.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

MF_James posted:

Flash cards might help with that. My primary methods for retaining information are repetition (flash cards, rereading notes etc) and doing the thing that I am studying how to do.

Being in the boot camp certainly helped for me. The hands on labs are key. I also use the Microsoft virtual academy and try to line up labs with the exam objectives.

Sitting for the 412 on 8/5

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
How hard is the CEH exam compared to say, Security+?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Same level, maybe slightly harder due to increased focus on specified tools and their usage. If you can pass one you can pass the other without much work.

You don't actually have to know how to use things like CryptCat or Maltego, but you should just know what they do.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Passed 70-345, thought it was easier than the Office365 70-347 exam. Next up are Skype 70-333 and 70-334 exams :shepface:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Diva Cupcake posted:

Same level, maybe slightly harder due to increased focus on specified tools and their usage. If you can pass one you can pass the other without much work.

You don't actually have to know how to use things like CryptCat or Maltego, but you should just know what they do.

Good to know, thanks. I'm looking for a semi-easy certification in that area to renew all of my CompTIA certs... deciding if I want to do CEH or something that requires some real effort like CCNA Security.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Good to know, thanks. I'm looking for a semi-easy certification in that area to renew all of my CompTIA certs... deciding if I want to do CEH or something that requires some real effort like CCNA Security.
I see that EC-Council raised the priced of a CEH exam voucher to $950. loving lol.

The only way I'd touch it (again) is if someone else is paying.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Diva Cupcake posted:

I see that EC-Council raised the priced of a CEH exam voucher to $950. loving lol.

Jesus Christ. I didn't even look at that yet. I could maybe convince my work to pay for that, but I doubt it. CCNA Security is only $250 and is infinitely more respected so... yeah, I think I'm gonna do that instead.

I was just assuming that CEH would be in-line with Sec+ since they're at about the same level in terms of respectability / difficulty.

These are the options for non-CompTIA certifications you can take for Sec+ (and everything below) renewal - https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-security

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 20, 2017

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeah, that just made me WTF out loud.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Diva Cupcake posted:

Jesus that's insane. Strongly doubting if I' going for CEH or should straight up go for CISSP or a SANS cert instead.

I wanted to do CEH as a warm up cert for security, but at this point I don't know if I want too, even if my employer is paying for it.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

Holy poo poo, nearly a 1000?? Nope

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

Holy poo poo, nearly a 1000?? Nope

I was just looking at this last night and had the same reaction. I laughed my rear end off. It's actually $1050, because if you don't take their $850 training course you have to pay a $100 application fee to determine eligibility.

What a scam.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm just going to let my S+ lapse this year. It's not like it ever did me any good.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm... I'm actually considering CompTIA's new CSA thing. Guessing no one here has done it yet?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm... I'm actually considering CompTIA's new CSA thing. Guessing no one here has done it yet?

Unless your company specifically loves CompTIA tests and/or will pay for it, they usually aren't the best investment of time or money.

Disclaimer: My company loves CompTIA so I will likely be getting this next spring unless I :yotj:

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 20, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Peachfart posted:

Unless your company specifically loves CompTIA tests and/or will pay for it, they usually aren't the best investment of time or money.

Disclaimer: My company loves CompTIA so I will likely be getting this next spring unless I :yotj:

Fair enough. Yeah, I'm just going to go for CCNA Security, it makes the most sense. More respected, and it'll renew all of my CompTIA certs + my CCNA. Hopefully remembering almost none of my CCNA stuff won't hurt me too much...

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I have an associate's in "computer networking and service technology" (10 years old at this point and have never been able to find an actual babby's first computer janitor job with just that. Is the A+ and N+ still a good idea for getting my foot in the door somewhere?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

taiyoko posted:

I have an associate's in "computer networking and service technology" (10 years old at this point and have never been able to find an actual babby's first computer janitor job with just that. Is the A+ and N+ still a good idea for getting my foot in the door somewhere?

I had several years of experience in small-shop IT, and the A+ definitely helped me, but I get the impression that varies from place to place. I would think that with a degree from that long ago and no experience in between, the A+/N+ would be a good way to show you've kept up your skill sets.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I haven't done a cert since getting m CCNAs like 4 years ago. Are there any recommended books or study paths for the MCSE in Server 2012? I have the MCP already, for whatever that's worth.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Just took the CCNA R&S exam for the first time. Got 780, needed 810.

I feel a whole lot more motivated to study and practice now that I know I can probably pass this thing, as before it felt like some insurmountable obstacle. I figure 2-3 weeks will give me enough time to learn what I was missing before retaking it (WAN Technologies, apparently).

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Actuarial Fables posted:

Just took the CCNA R&S exam for the first time. Got 780, needed 810.

I feel a whole lot more motivated to study and practice now that I know I can probably pass this thing, as before it felt like some insurmountable obstacle. I figure 2-3 weeks will give me enough time to learn what I was missing before retaking it (WAN Technologies, apparently).

Out of curiosity, is frame relay still on that exam?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Out of curiosity, is frame relay still on that exam?

I didn't see any, so I assume they're off.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Frame Relay is dead for CCNA.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Thank the lord. It's about drat time.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
doody

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 26, 2018

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I know there are a couple ISO 27001 specific certs for Lead Auditor and Lead Implementer.

https://pecb.com/en/education-and-certification-for-individuals/iso-iec-27001/iso-iec-27001-lead-implementer

You'll also find CISSP, CISM, CRISC, and possibly CISA also have ISO standards included as part of the testing material, but not really as the focus.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

MCSA Server 2012 done. Caught wind that the 74-409 would still count as an elective for the 412 if passed by 9/6. Got that in writing from MCP support, took the 409 and passed today. Let them know so I should see the change in my MCP profile in a few days. Still sitting the 412 next Saturday though

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How hard was all of that? Iirc you did a boot camp?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

MrBigglesworth posted:

Frame Relay is dead for CCNA.

Interestingly enough, not yet dead on CCNP though.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I got the most ridiculously long-winded certificate... "CERTIFICATE IN BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE: BUILDING THE DATA WAREHOUSE".

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

How hard was all of that? Iirc you did a boot camp?

Yup did a boot camp. Took it seriously so after class spent 5 hours a night doing additional reading and labbing

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Welp. I have been laid off after 14 years. My studies are now on hold as I scramble for a new job. DAMMIT.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MrBigglesworth posted:

Welp. I have been laid off after 14 years. My studies are now on hold as I scramble for a new job. DAMMIT.

Suck too hear that. Good luck on the job search, what was the reason for your lay off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
Anyone here taken any risk certifications? I've recently received a very attractive job offer in IT risk management. I have my CISSP but most of my experience is in Ops. I've found a certificate that looks interesting and doesn't have a specific risk analyst background to receive:

Certification in Control Self-Assessment (CCSA)

Has anyone got any experience with that or other certifications that would be valuable?