Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

skooma512 posted:

Anybody know where I can get some packet tracer assignments?

https://blog.certskills.com/ccna/category/chapter100105/chap01/

https://blog.certskills.com/ccna/category/chapter200105/chap01/

These are some configuration challenges from Odom that I have been using. They are pretty good at getting you familiar with commands and configurations, not much troubleshooting since you are doing the initial configuration yourself. They correspond to the chapters in his books, but I don't think you'd need the book to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Does the new CCNA still use Class A/B/C? I'm brushing up again after letting my cert lapse.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Good God the A+ 901 is an insipid test. Took it this morning and man a good 80% of the exam was completely irrelevant to my helpdesk/junior sysadmin job. When the gently caress am I ever going to be crimping cat6 by hand??

Took it mostly cold and passed just fine fortunately. Might study a bit harder for the 902 if its test asks similarly inane questions.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've crimped quite a few cables in my day.

If the 902 is anything like the 80s was, it'll be easier for you than the 901. The troubleshooting stuff is what people say is "harder" but that's because it's not rote memorization

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
902 is full of "What NEXT" and "BEST choice" questions, which just loving suck. If you can think like a bullshit non-IT guy trying to show off how much he knows to a CEO, you can figure out most of the questions by how 'good' they sound.

I passed with a huge margin 2 days after taking the 901.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

Good God the A+ 901 is an insipid test. Took it this morning and man a good 80% of the exam was completely irrelevant to my helpdesk/junior sysadmin job. When the gently caress am I ever going to be crimping cat6 by hand??

Took it mostly cold and passed just fine fortunately. Might study a bit harder for the 902 if its test asks similarly inane questions.

CompTIA tests are always full of irrelevant garbage, but if they are asking about wiring CAT5/6, that stuff is useful to know just in a 'I understand how this works, if not the exact pins' sense. I don't think I would trust an network guy who at least didn't understand the difference between a straight through and crossover cable(not that it matters as much anymore)
And A+ is all about basic entry-level bullshit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I sit ICND1 in 36 hours, other than subnetting what should I make sure to hit hard that will have a large portion of the test?

I feel like I'm good on switch configuration, other than VTY config, but I (roughly) know the commands so I should be able to use help menus to round that out during the test, help does work, correct? I've heard it does, unless that changed.

I probably need to brush up a bit on router config, especially OSPF, because I don't deal with routers much at work, not as much as switches anyway.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I highly doubt you'll get an ospf config sim on exam 1. As long as you know how it works, when it should be used, and priority order between ospf and eigrp and static you should be covered.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MF_James posted:

I sit ICND1 in 36 hours, other than subnetting what should I make sure to hit hard that will have a large portion of the test?

I feel like I'm good on switch configuration, other than VTY config, but I (roughly) know the commands so I should be able to use help menus to round that out during the test, help does work, correct? I've heard it does, unless that changed.

I probably need to brush up a bit on router config, especially OSPF, because I don't deal with routers much at work, not as much as switches anyway.

Here is a question I had on my ICND1 and never saw in my training materials:

What Layer does CDP operate on?
Well, my book never covered CDP. But it is Cisco Discovery Protocol, and it is a protocol that Cisco devices use to discover each other. Which narrows down to Layer 2 easily enough.

Most of the ICND1 was about subnetting, layer levels(know these!), and basic switch/router configs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Peachfart posted:

Here is a question I had on my ICND1 and never saw in my training materials:

What Layer does CDP operate on?
Well, my book never covered CDP. But it is Cisco Discovery Protocol, and it is a protocol that Cisco devices use to discover each other. Which narrows down to Layer 2 easily enough.

Most of the ICND1 was about subnetting, layer levels(know these!), and basic switch/router configs.

Lammle covers CDP so I'm good there, not super in-depth but yeah it covers it.

Cool, that jives with what I was figuring, subnetting, theory and basic configs.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

It's been a while (and at least one revision so this may not be accurate anymore) since I took it, but I think there are some questions about common ports. What port is used for ssh, http/s, telnet, smtp, dns, etc.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

rafikki posted:

It's been a while (and at least one revision so this may not be accurate anymore) since I took it, but I think there are some questions about common ports. What port is used for ssh, http/s, telnet, smtp, dns, etc.

port 69 - TFTP
port 666 - doom multiplayer (yes, really)
port 420 - reserved for SMPTE whatever the hell that is

And with this final lesson, you are ready to sit for your CCNA, my son

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kashuno posted:

I've crimped quite a few cables in my day.

If the 902 is anything like the 80s was, it'll be easier for you than the 901. The troubleshooting stuff is what people say is "harder" but that's because it's not rote memorization

Yeah the 902 was easy in comparison. Way fewer questions I was unsure on.

The Sims were a tad more difficult than the 901, but not by much and only because they restricted what I'd typically use to troubleshoot and disabled the switch list for commands. Which is fine, whatever, good to know, but while the information relating to how systems work and troubleshooting principles are all fine, the rote memorization was annoying as all hell.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

The Iron Rose posted:

If you want to work on networks you by God better loving drat well learn your color order!

At my last job I had a CCNP coworker who refused to touch the goddamn network. I hated her with every fiber of my being. When she was forced to have to run some cable with me I had to teach her the color order. I was loving flaberghasted.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 21, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You should never have to teach anybody the color order anyway. If they can't google "cat 6 color order" they don't deserve to work in IT.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
That is beside the point. The fact she got as far as she did without ever really touching the network is what pissed me off. She tried to do everything from her desk via remote console.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MF_James posted:

Good luck!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You should never have to teach anybody the color order anyway. If they can't google "cat 6 color order" they don't deserve to work in IT.

The little punchdown block I have helpfully lists the colors right on it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MF_James posted:

My advice, even though you said "other than subnetting" - write up a big subnetting chart right when you sit down during the tutorial portion.

Block sizes/slash notation/classes/number of subnets/etc just to get it on paper and save you time. It helped me a lot during the test in terms of time management.

I guess if you have any ports off the top of your head, throw those on there too.

Edit: Something like this - https://danielmiessler.com/images/subnetting-table.png

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 21, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

For ICND1 you can be a bit iffy on subnetting from what I remember, it asks rather basic questions like 'What is the final routable IP address in 192.168.5.33/26'. But on the ICND2 if you can't count binary in your head, you will be in serious trouble. Every testlet I had assumed you knew your subnetting, and then asked you the real question.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

My advice, even though you said "other than subnetting" - write up a big subnetting chart right when you sit down during the tutorial portion.

Block sizes/slash notation/classes/etc just to get it on paper and save you time. It helped me a lot during the test in terms of time management.

I guess if you have any ports off the top of your head, throw those on there too.

Yeah you get 15 minutes to prepare before starting, so write down all the charts and acronyms you can think of so you don't get confused later.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

MrBigglesworth posted:

If you want to work on networks you by God better loving drat well learn your color order!

Nothing about color order was actually in the book or on the test, though I think I've had the importance of knowing your CAT6 suitably impressed upon me :v:

In any event, A+ is done. Already have a job so I'll wait till I've been there long enough for them to pay for certs before doing my Network and Security+. After that, CCNA or the various Microsoft certs I think.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

The Iron Rose posted:

Nothing about color order was actually in the book or on the test, though I think I've had the importance of knowing your CAT6 suitably impressed upon me :v:

In any event, A+ is done. Already have a job so I'll wait till I've been there long enough for them to pay for certs before doing my Network and Security+. After that, CCNA or the various Microsoft certs I think.

:toot: Congrats!

Cat6 color order is on the N+, they even had a sim where you had to place them in the correct order when I took it. I think I hosed it up because I gave them A when they asked for B or some bullshit.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If your work makes you get you N+, or pays you more, get it. Otherwise I'd skip N+. Studying for the ICND1 will teach you so much more, and is useful towards a CCNA. N+ was probably the worst CompTIA test I took in terms of 'memorize a bunch of dumb bullshit'. Sec+ is decent though.
And I say this as someone who has an A+, N+, Sec+.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Peachfart posted:

If your work makes you get you N+, or pays you more, get it. Otherwise I'd skip N+. Studying for the ICND1 will teach you so much more, and is useful towards a CCNA. N+ was probably the worst CompTIA test I took in terms of 'memorize a bunch of dumb bullshit'. Sec+ is decent though.
And I say this as someone who has an A+, N+, Sec+.

:same: ICND1 might seem scary at first and it's definitely harder than N+, but it's more practical and valuable and doesn't get blown away by the next Cisco cert you already plan on getting.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've been buying books and studying for my drat CCNA for a decade.

I was up for a job at Cisco (non-technical) and was so excited to throw all my certificate training books in the trash. Alas I'm still in a NOC. At some point I'll get my act together and at least get the ICND1. The best suggestion I've found is to schedule your test and then worry about studying because that at least cures the procrastination.

Does Cisco offer a test tier with a free exam retake like CompTIA? I feel like the only reason I passed my Sec+ was because I knew I had a second shot and could relax.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've been buying books and studying for my drat CCNA for a decade.

I was up for a job at Cisco (non-technical) and was so excited to throw all my certificate training books in the trash. Alas I'm still in a NOC. At some point I'll get my act together and at least get the ICND1. The best suggestion I've found is to schedule your test and then worry about studying because that at least cures the procrastination.

Does Cisco offer a test tier with a free exam retake like CompTIA? I feel like the only reason I passed my Sec+ was because I knew I had a second shot and could relax.

No, as far as I know there are no retakes. In fact, after you fail you can't retake the test for a week.
And if you have been working with Cisco equipment for years, you should be able to pass the ICND1 without much difficulty. It is basically: can you subnet? Do you know basic router/switch setup? Know your ports? Know your layers? If so, you can pass.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
My Odom ICND1 book arrives tomorrow. Hoping to have my CCENT by January. :toot:

I'm still planning to pursue a MCSA later in 2018, but thinking about doing the Sec+ after the CCENT (especially now that my new job uses a .edu address, hello discount). Would y'all recommend it as a general-purpose cert for someone probably not pursuing a security career? I was mainly considering it for fleshing out my resume and being eligible for DoD jobs (of which there are several in my area), but if it's not worth much I might skip it til I'd actually have specific use for it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Space Racist posted:

My Odom ICND1 book arrives tomorrow. Hoping to have my CCENT by January. :toot:

I'm still planning to pursue a MCSA later in 2018, but thinking about doing the Sec+ after the CCENT (especially now that my new job uses a .edu address, hello discount). Would y'all recommend it as a general-purpose cert for someone probably not pursuing a security career? I was mainly considering it for fleshing out my resume and being eligible for DoD jobs (of which there are several in my area), but if it's not worth much I might skip it til I'd actually have specific use for it.

Get ICND2 after ICND1. Once you've passed ICND1 it's not that much of a slog to finish the process and then you've got your CCNA.

Sec+ is probably worthwhile even if you aren't necessarily going for a security position. If nothing else the material is a good foundation. Companies that aren't doing DoD stuff are probably more likely to care about it in a DoD heavy area too.

Also it should only take you like 6 weeks at most.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

No, as far as I know there are no retakes. In fact, after you fail you can't retake the test for a week.
And if you have been working with Cisco equipment for years, you should be able to pass the ICND1 without much difficulty. It is basically: can you subnet? Do you know basic router/switch setup? Know your ports? Know your layers? If so, you can pass.

90% of it is being paranoid I'm going to fail and putting it off. Also, I'm really bad at subnetting. Like I'll study and know my CIDR tables like a pro and almost be able to do it in my head and then I don't use it (because my job doesn't actually require me to subnet) and all that knowledge is flushed out of my brain in favor of Trump tweets or some poo poo. So I have to schedule a test to coincide with that brief period of time I actually remember something.

But I'm a pro at my ports. TFTP!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Peachfart posted:

I would also say knowing the different show commands and what information they contain is also important. Even if you have e worked with the gear, it's possible that you may not have had the chance to use some of the more specific show commands they ask about if you're in the habit of just always looking at the full running config in order to troubleshoot.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

810/832 on ICND1 arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There were 2-3 questions that I didn't even recall reading about, and 4-5 that I felt were somewhat ambiguous, but I was probably just not comprehending them well enough and another 2-3 that I know I got wrong because I didn't slow down and think about it for long enough.

Gonna schedule again for 2-3 weeks out and just read over everything again especially my weak areas.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MF_James posted:

810/832 on ICND1 arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There were 2-3 questions that I didn't even recall reading about, and 4-5 that I felt were somewhat ambiguous, but I was probably just not comprehending them well enough and another 2-3 that I know I got wrong because I didn't slow down and think about it for long enough.

Gonna schedule again for 2-3 weeks out and just read over everything again especially my weak areas.

You should have a 'percentage of answers correct' separated by topic, which were your lowest?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bummer, friend, but you'll be stronger for the experience. Good luck!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
832 is the passing score right?

gently caress that sucks man. I'm sure you'll nail it next time

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

832 is the passing score right?

gently caress that sucks man. I'm sure you'll nail it next time

IIRC the passing score varies slightly based on the questions you get.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

IIRC the passing score varies slightly based on the questions you get.

I think it does, I had heard 830, but mine was 832, so I assume you're correct.

Peachfart posted:

You should have a 'percentage of answers correct' separated by topic, which were your lowest?

oh yeah I got that, LAN switching fundamentals was my lowest, followed by routing fundamentals. Not oddly enough, I spent less time cramming those because I thought, obviously incorrectly, I had that nailed. I'm pulling the exam objectives for those sections off of ciscos site and going to hammer through those harder but still review everything over the next few weeks and nail it. Not really super bummed about it, more irritated I threw away $150 or whatever and burned some time off (though my work gave me a day and a half for free, so I only spent a day and a half)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MF_James posted:

I think it does, I had heard 830, but mine was 832, so I assume you're correct.

oh yeah I got that, LAN switching fundamentals was my lowest, followed by routing fundamentals. Not oddly enough, I spent less time cramming those because I thought, obviously incorrectly, I had that nailed. I'm pulling the exam objectives for those sections off of ciscos site and going to hammer through those harder but still review everything over the next few weeks and nail it. Not really super bummed about it, more irritated I threw away $150 or whatever and burned some time off (though my work gave me a day and a half for free, so I only spent a day and a half)

From the documentation I see here, the nasty stuff in that section is:
Port security
VLANs
Trunking
Spanning Tree
Did the old version of the test have Spanning Tree on it? Anyway, out of those, port security is usually 'memorize a few commands', but trunking and VLANs are something you need to know really really well. And I have no idea how in depth you need to get into spanning tree other than to know it exists(ICND2 has a lot of spanning tree).
I'd practice using a simulator on 'router-on-a-stick' sims until your eyes bleed, that should get VLANs and trunking burned into your brain.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
You will get it. Thing is once you get into a network engineer job you will realize how old hat CCNA really is. Its just coming into it fresh that is overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.
To the dude that failed the ICND1 by 2 points:

I recently passed the ICND1 last month and I had to take it twice. I thought it was a lot harder than everyone told me it would be, and what my school prepared me for. I also felt really bad about myself after my failure. But the next day, I logged on to netacad (student perk) and just downloaded every pertinent packet tracer and lab and just did them over and over for two weeks and then took the test again, got an 836, and passed. Its just a loving grind, that's all it is. Some of the questions that were on my test still have me scratching my head as to whether or not I got the correct answer, even now. I took the comptia A+ tests and passed them both in my sleep. The ICND1 and ICND2 are really different beasts, and kind of remind me of how taking the LSAT was back a decade ago. Im sure there are some genius level people that can walk into them and pass them first try without studying hung over, but that is not me or most people.