Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
For anyone looking at MCSA/E exams, Microsoft is changing things up come 2019

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/community-blog-post.aspx?BlogId=8&Id=375159

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Yeast Confection posted:

WGU is no longer accepting non-American students, according to my admissions advisor yesterday.

Which sucks because OSAP just approved my funding today :smith:

... why?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
No specific reason given, just a "change in policy."

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

My employer wants me to take a TOGAF class. I’m really more of a tech guy than an architect but no matter what role I take I usually end up designing/governing infrastructures so I figured I might as well start getting paid for architect-like roles.

So my question is, has anyone taken the exam recently and if so, what resources did you use? On a level of 0 to Microsoft, how much do the exams suck?

Have you looked into any of the TOGAF book material? I was going to pick up the official guide. Curious if there’s better material out there.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Diva Cupcake posted:

Have you looked into any of the TOGAF book material? I was going to pick up the official guide. Curious if there’s better material out there.

Not yet, I’ll probably get something issued by the bootcamp my employer is arranging. When I see what I get I’ll have a look if and which other materials I need.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Took my GCIH today. The test itself felt harder than the practice tests, but that was probably just luck of the draw with the questions I got. I wish I had taken 560 instead of 504 now, though, cause I did really well on the exam and think it might have been a little too easy. I dunno if my company will pay for another SANS course for a while. Probably going to relax for a couple weeks and do some vulnhub labs in my downtime, then dive into OSCP.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

I just submitted TA request for GCIH course+test. If that gets approved I'll knock that out, otherwise just gonna start the OSCP.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

504 and 560 are pretty similar courses. I have both. One or the other isn’t going to make you an incident responder or pen tester so just take whichever one better aligns with your work.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone interested in the Sybex prep book for the AWS Sysops exam? I was studying it during downtime to keep myself occupied in my now-previous job, and my current job is all Azure, no AWS. The book's in great shape, I'll let it go for whatever the Amazon price is minus $5 for goons.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Linux+ does not expire correct?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Woof Blitzer posted:

Linux+ does not expire correct?

Correct, per their website.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone do anything with the OSCP recently? Is the PWK class a new prerequisite?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

PWK is the class/lab. OSCP is the certification.

I did 3 months in the lab and failed my first attempt back in late July. I signed up for HackTheBox VIP so I can practice on boxes without running time on a lab extension while I move and take a new job in Boston. Once it gets colder and I get settled I’ll be back in for attempt #2.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
I am currently studying for the AWS Certified Solutions Architect. I have been through the cloud guru prep videos and am currently going through the AWS white papers. It seems like a fairly straightforward exam from the practices questions i have run through. I was wondering if any one had done the exam and had any advice or recommendations for study resources?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Talked to another Canadian applicant their enrolment advisor said it had to do with WGU's requiring some form for international accreditation so accepting non-US students wouldn't violate some condition of their regional accreditation. :rip:

Talking of other certs n stuff, anyone here have any level of ITIL certifications and can tell me where to get started?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Yeast Confection posted:

Talked to another Canadian applicant their enrolment advisor said it had to do with WGU's requiring some form for international accreditation so accepting non-US students wouldn't violate some condition of their regional accreditation. :rip:

Talking of other certs n stuff, anyone here have any level of ITIL certifications and can tell me where to get started?

I did v2 foundation 10+ years ago. Buy a book, memorize it, take exam. Entry level isn’t rocket science, just incredibly boring.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

LochNessMonster posted:

I did v2 foundation 10+ years ago. Buy a book, memorize it, take exam. Entry level isn’t rocket science, just incredibly boring.

Yeah this, I got sent to a 3 or 4 day bootcamp, test was at the end of it; I slept through a bit of every class because I had a 2 hour drive there and 3-4 hour drive back (material is dry as gently caress) and passed it with ease. Basically memorize their terms and their big flow charts/processes and you'll pass.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
welp. Scheduled the 70-533 for next month. Going to get in just under the cut-off before I have to immediately study for the "transition exam" portion to keep up with Microsoft's new exam structure.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Don't end up like me and have to take IKM exams in recruiter hell.

:negative:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Okay so I go to an online University where my finals are pretty much exclusively just Industry and Vendor certs. I had 6 months to get the A+ and Network+, and am a complete loving idiot, so I just finished the 901 and 902 today and have to get the N+ done in the next like 9 days.

I have MTA's Networking Fundamentals, so I'm not COMPLETELY lost when I read through my course material, but I figure it's worth asking to see if anyone has any tips to help un-gently caress me. I'll be spending the next couple days binging the flash cards to get the new acronyms down, then I plan to use the official competencies as a checklist, but if anyone's taken the new test or has experience with the field in general, I'd love to hear some common pitfalls.

If the answer is I'm totally screwed, though, I totally get that. Wish me luck.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

ThePagey posted:

Okay so I go to an online University where my finals are pretty much exclusively just Industry and Vendor certs. I had 6 months to get the A+ and Network+, and am a complete loving idiot, so I just finished the 901 and 902 today and have to get the N+ done in the next like 9 days.

I have MTA's Networking Fundamentals, so I'm not COMPLETELY lost when I read through my course material, but I figure it's worth asking to see if anyone has any tips to help un-gently caress me. I'll be spending the next couple days binging the flash cards to get the new acronyms down, then I plan to use the official competencies as a checklist, but if anyone's taken the new test or has experience with the field in general, I'd love to hear some common pitfalls.

If I remember from studying for my N+ last year, I spent most of my time going over the various cabling standards, fiber standards, data rates and distances. Know the OSI layers, and you should be 1/2 way there. And know how to distinguish a bus from a ring from a star and mesh. That's about all I remember from taking it. If you've just finished the A+, you'll have a feel for how the CompTIA tests go, but try to find a few practice tests to figure out how far out you are.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ThePagey posted:

Depending on how much time you have you could chew through Professor Messer's Net+ playlist. I've been following along and taking notes as I go, there's bound to be a bit of material in there that you know already. I take my test on Friday. From what I read on reddit, know your acronyms, types of connections and connectors, subnetting and cidr notation, among other things I'm forgetting off the bat.

There's also this nifty site that works great on mobile to have as a quick reference to the exam objectives. Don't forget to take some practice exams, too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hrm. My three years on my CCNA R&S is almost up. Thinking maybe recerting with CCNP TSHOOT since my employer will pay for it and in the three years since I've done the CCNA R&S they've added Metro Ethernet and some other odd ducks to it.

Good/bad idea?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, given the option, I would much rather take a test that will get me closer to something new than just re-taking the test for the credential I already have. I'm studying for CCNP Switch now, no real interest in just re-certifying my CCNA.

Have you already done Route and Switch? Not that I have any firsthand experience but I was under the impression that Tshoot was normally the last one of the three people did.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Got the SANS course approved/paid for today. :hfive:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
After trying and failing, seemingly forever, to get through self-studying for Network+, I'm going to finally bite the bullet and just take a drat class for the thing.

Anyone have recommendations or advice on doing this in the MD/DC/NoVA area? I know jack-poo poo in terms of choosing a good training provider, and have had little success trying to sort through the good ones v. bad ones using Google. All the company websites seem sketchy as poo poo to me.

Cost really isn't an issue, as I'm, thankfully, not paying for it. I just want to get it knocked out before the end of the year, preferably before the holidays.

Thanks, goons!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Broken Record Talk posted:

After trying and failing, seemingly forever, to get through self-studying for Network+, I'm going to finally bite the bullet and just take a drat class for the thing.

Anyone have recommendations or advice on doing this in the MD/DC/NoVA area? I know jack-poo poo in terms of choosing a good training provider, and have had little success trying to sort through the good ones v. bad ones using Google. All the company websites seem sketchy as poo poo to me.

Cost really isn't an issue, as I'm, thankfully, not paying for it. I just want to get it knocked out before the end of the year, preferably before the holidays.

Thanks, goons!

It's been years since I've been there but UMBC Training Centers offered a solid Network+ class and it is or at least was run by some really good folks. It is an auxiliary facility, not part of the university proper, so you do not need to matriculate, just pay them and show up. It is not especially cheap but you said you don't care about that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ThePagey posted:

If this is WGU, as long as you have 12 units this term you’re still considered to have “on time progress” and can let the class go into next term. It will show incomplete this term but you can then just finish it up next one and it will show completed. Talk to your mentor though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Passed my Network+! So glad the last few months of studying paid off. It felt so good to see that final screen saying I passed.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

cage-free egghead posted:

Passed my Network+! So glad the last few months of studying paid off. It felt so good to see that final screen saying I passed.

Congrats! It really is a great screen to have pop up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I always like how it's a couple seconds in real-time after you hit "submit" but boy does it feel a lot longer than that.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Colostomy Bag posted:

I always like how it's a couple seconds in real-time after you hit "submit" but boy does it feel a lot longer than that.

My favorite part the first time was steeling myself up to hit "Finish" and being presented with....a CompTia survey.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Oyster posted:

I just got the CCENT. My original plan was to go for the CCNA immediately after, but the CCENT took a solid two months longer than I anticipated, and I'm not sure I can snag the CCNA without actually applying in the field. I have a Catalyst switch and a simple layer 2, but that probably won't cut it for what the CCNA entails.

I've been tossing around the idea of pursuing the Google certs, but is the CCENT worth anything on its own? I'm going to toss it on my resume and see if I can get out of printer tech world and into a job that actually uses the stuff, but in the meantime I'm torn between Google/dabbling in coding/finishing out the CCNA.

Edit: And thank all things holy for the ? command working on the test.

Hey man, not sure if you're still checking this thread, but I can confirm that the Google cert was worth it for me, and is the reason that I was contacted by a Google recruiter for the ITRP (IT Residency Program). I did really well during the interviews because I spent all my free time studying my rear end off, and now I work in internal-facing customer support at Google (that's what people in the ITR program do).

It's been a blast so far; I'm 99% that I'm the only person yet to get the cert, get recruited and then get hired, but I can confirm that Google is not lying when they say that they will hire people who get their cert. Plus, it's just a solid cert, though I'm not totally sure how useful it will be if you're not aiming to get a shot at working at Google.

PM me if you have any questions!

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Hey man, not sure if you're still checking this thread, but I can confirm that the Google cert was worth it for me, and is the reason that I was contacted by a Google recruiter for the ITRP (IT Residency Program). I did really well during the interviews because I spent all my free time studying my rear end off, and now I work in internal-facing customer support at Google (that's what people in the ITR program do).

It's been a blast so far; I'm 99% that I'm the only person yet to get the cert, get recruited and then get hired, but I can confirm that Google is not lying when they say that they will hire people who get their cert. Plus, it's just a solid cert, though I'm not totally sure how useful it will be if you're not aiming to get a shot at working at Google.

I appreciate this info quite a lot, thank you! I was intending on getting the CCNA first, but I'm really struggling with it as the CCENT was more "spot the problem" and the CCNA is more "build it from the ground up". I've really backpedaled on it and started from the ground up with Packet Tracer. Sounds like it might be worth getting the Google ones first!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

3D GAY WORLD posted:

this is a pretty cool success story, congrats!

It's a little concerning though that Google is essentially charging people to complete onboarding training before they have to make a hiring decision.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

this is a pretty cool success story, congrats!

It's a little concerning though that Google is essentially charging people to complete onboarding training before they have to make a hiring decision.

Personally, I don't necessarily see the cert as onboarding training, so much as it's an attempt to ask "OK, what skills would someone need to know as a baseline to be able to do a tech support role at Google (or most other major companies). I don't think they designed it to specifically be prep for a Google position, but they do need more good IT Support people, and they wanted to give people a pretty cheap way to get those skills. They do submit your resume to a list of other companies as well, with your permission, but it's probably more likely that Google will contact you than most of the other companies.

But yeah, it's been a life-changing experience for me, and granted that you could definitely finish the cert within 2-3 months tops ($60 a month) if you work at it for 8+ hours a week, it's not overly time or cash intensive. I've actually met a number of the people who did the videos for the program, and they all emphasized that the cert was a bit of a side project that they took on to offer another pathway into an IT career, so I do think the intent was positive.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

FCKGW posted:

If this is WGU, as long as you have 12 units this term you’re still considered to have “on time progress” and can let the class go into next term. It will show incomplete this term but you can then just finish it up next one and it will show completed. Talk to your mentor though.

Oh, no poo poo? That's exactly it, that's a loving HUGE load off, god drat. I'm still going to try and pass it, but that's way less stressful. I appreciate the heads up.

The school provides access to labs (I've done like 200 loving simulations in the past week, I should be good for the performance questions), and a shitload of practice tests, so I'm actually feeling pretty good going into this. My test is scheduled for Thursday afternoon, so wish me luck.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

ThePagey posted:

Oh, no poo poo? That's exactly it, that's a loving HUGE load off, god drat. I'm still going to try and pass it, but that's way less stressful. I appreciate the heads up.

The school provides access to labs (I've done like 200 loving simulations in the past week, I should be good for the performance questions), and a shitload of practice tests, so I'm actually feeling pretty good going into this. My test is scheduled for Thursday afternoon, so wish me luck.

Eyyy I passed. Get hosed hypothetical alternate me who didn't.

Turns out studying for 10 hours a day for 3 weeks straight CAN take you from barely any experience to passing. Don't let anyone tell you that procrastination isn't a viable path to success.

Now I gotta like, buy a loving book or something so I can refer back to it whenever I need to use this, 'cause I'm gonna forget like 40% of it immediately.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 26, 2018

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Is OSCP actually worth doing anymore? I've read a lot suggesting that OS hasn't done a very good job keeping the material up to date, so a lot of the material is pretty dated (esp the Win stuff -- I think I read theres no win 10 boxes in it?) and the new camera on you for 24 hours during the test thing is a bit of a turnoff for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ThePagey posted:

Eyyy I passed. Get hosed hypothetical alternate me who didn't.

Turns out studying for 10 hours a day for 3 weeks straight CAN take you from barely any experience to passing. Don't let anyone tell you that procrastination isn't a viable path to success.

Now I gotta like, buy a loving book or something so I can refer back to it whenever I need to use this, 'cause I'm gonna forget like 40% of it immediately.

Congrats dude! Is Cisco your next path or are you in a different program?