Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Comradephate posted:

The trainsignal videos I've watched are pretty nice, and it's $50/month. It also will include/does include pluralsight shortly, so that's cool I guess.

Also, passed my RHCSA. Only got a 250 though, which is kind of perplexing, because I triple checked everything. :shrug:

Congrats on the pass. I'm studying for the same test right now. Is it as straight forward as it's made out to be? Study the Jang book and I'll be good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbauti
Dec 8, 2011

workape posted:

What do you want to do in the long run? If you want to stick with SANS, GCFW (firewalls), GCIA (intrusion analyst), GCIH (intrusion handler), and more are logical next steps. I know a lot of people put a lot on the CISSP, but it is such a poo poo cert that it really doesn't have any weight in my opinion. Only people who care are hiring managers and government.

I enjoyed the SANS course and would like to do more from them however they are quite expensive so take months to process through our lovely bureaucratic red-tape and recent changes to training budgets would probably put them out of reach. There is a chance that there are bootleg copies of the texts around but who knows whether they're out of date or not. The Enterprise Defender looks pretty good as does firewalls (which we manage from a security perspective but don't actually work with.)

So I'm keen on more self-study based certs with readily available texts. Because I joined as a graduate I had little security experience to begin with and I'm aware that were I to leave the company I may not have enough of a background in other areas to find another job (that pays as well or better). CISSP would be for cv padding.

I probably didn't answer your question since I'm not quite sure where I want to end up, I'm open to most things at this point.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Tigren posted:

Congrats on the pass. I'm studying for the same test right now. Is it as straight forward as it's made out to be? Study the Jang book and I'll be good?

The Jang book rocks, but you'll want some experience as well. I thought it was a cool test. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be based on Jang's book/questions.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Farbauti posted:

There is a chance that there are bootleg copies of the texts around but who knows whether they're out of date or not.

It's been a while but I used to buy legit class books off of eBay. Big Corp sends Bob to training, Bob gets the training, gets another bullet point on his resume, sells the book on eBay, makes a nice profit, and got to take a week off work. Win/win.

I recently purchased some very nice EMC training DVDs at a steep discount and have purchased legit class books back in the day, check it out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

three posted:

The Jang book rocks, but you'll want some experience as well. I thought it was a cool test. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be based on Jang's book/questions.

I need to get off my rear end and study this. Had the book for a while but not the motivation to study Linux all night after, well, working in Linux all day :effort: I do get the impression from what I have worked through that if you have a fair amount of Red Hat experience from your day job the RHCSA at least isn't rocket surgery.

And congrats on passing!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I do CCNP-level work with BGP, MPLS, OSPF and IS-IS. Other than brushing up on STP, are there any things I'd need to know about to do my CCNA which I got in 2008 and allowed to lapse? I hear that it's changed since I did mine.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I'm sure EIGRP would be on there since Cisco is jerking themselves off over the thought of it being an open standard

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm reading Lemmle's CCENT book. In the first chapter it has network analyzer outputs, am I supposed to understand those already? I can piece bits together, but I wouldn't say I can read them well. Is that going to get covered later?

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Anjow posted:

I do CCNP-level work with BGP, MPLS, OSPF and IS-IS. Other than brushing up on STP, are there any things I'd need to know about to do my CCNA which I got in 2008 and allowed to lapse? I hear that it's changed since I did mine.

Of those, OSPF is on the test (along with RIP and EIGRP). No BGP MPLS or IS-IS, save maybe one random IPV6 question about what address IS-IS broadcasts on. Lots of switching/stp stuff. Other than that, lots of trivial stuff, you would be able to pass with a minimal amount of study I would think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take a CCNP test I think that resets the clock - even though you need 3 to have the CCNP in full.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Agatsu posted:

Of those, OSPF is on the test (along with RIP and EIGRP). No BGP MPLS or IS-IS, save maybe one random IPV6 question about what address IS-IS broadcasts on. Lots of switching/stp stuff. Other than that, lots of trivial stuff, you would be able to pass with a minimal amount of study I would think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take a CCNP test I think that resets the clock - even though you need 3 to have the CCNP in full.

He allowed his CCNA to lapse so he has to start over. CCNA is a prereq for the CCNP.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, IIRC the only higher level Cisco cert you can do without a CCNA start is CCIE.

Kind of the same way that you can probably run for president of the united states while working at McDonalds. File it under "If you make it then you obviously know what you're doing".

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
You can also get the datacenter switching, without an active CCNA. I know that for sure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh my bad. I actually haven't looked at much off the main track for some reason.

Which reminds me. I need to get my poo poo together. CCNA expires in January and even though I'm now gainly employed and don't really need to sell it, I would still like to proceed with ROUTE. drat, guess I'm spending the next month studying.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Oh my bad. I actually haven't looked at much off the main track for some reason.

Which reminds me. I need to get my poo poo together. CCNA expires in January and even though I'm now gainly employed and don't really need to sell it, I would still like to proceed with ROUTE. drat, guess I'm spending the next month studying.

Don't worry the Data Center switching poo poo was(just realized they refreshed those tests/cert) crap. Basically select Nexus and you got the right answer. I was very disappointed

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 18, 2013

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

GOOCHY posted:

He allowed his CCNA to lapse so he has to start over. CCNA is a prereq for the CCNP.

Sorry, read that a bit quickly as it was about to lapse, not already had. You are correct sir!

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Martytoof posted:

'Sup, January 2011 CCNA buddy. :hfive: I'm also rushing to prepare for my CCNA the CCNP ROUTE exam. I just finished a week-long instructor-led class (paid for by my company), which helped a lot, but I've still got to read the official books and do the online labs befor the test. Also, I need to go back and memorize which subnet masks go with which slash notations again.

Edited because I typed the wrong acronym the first time. :downs:

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 19, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sup! :cool::hf::cool: Are you retaking the CCNA? Any reason you don't just go on and take a CCNP class instead? The way I figure it is if I have to pay for the exam again, I may as well try to do the next step up :q:

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Sup! :cool::hf::cool: Are you retaking the CCNA? Any reason you don't just go on and take a CCNP class instead? The way I figure it is if I have to pay for the exam again, I may as well try to do the next step up :q:

I went :confused: the first time I read this... then I went back and reread my own post. Oops. I've fixed it now. This week's class was designed to help prepare students for the CCNP ROUTE exam. My thinking is the same as yours; I want to keep my cert active by working toward the next level, too. :)

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm sitting the new icnd2 in a few weeks . Anyone else sat it or am I the guinea pig?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahh -- makes sense!

PurpleButterfly posted:

Also, I need to go back and memorize which subnet masks go with which slash notations again.

Here, dump this table when you sit the exam:

255 |  x  |  x  |  x
----+-----+-----+-----
128 | /9  | /17 | /25
192 | /10 | /18 | /26
224 | /11 | /19 | /27
240 | /12 | /20 | /28
248 | /13 | /21 | /29
252 | /14 | /22 | /30
254 | /15 | /23 | /31
255 | /16 | /24 | /32

It's really easy to remember, just count from /9 to /32 down the chart. The rest is pretty self explanatory and I'm sure you can figure it out. Whenever I have trouble remembering what a 255.252.0.0 might be, I just jot this down in like 3 seconds.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BigT posted:

yeah i've read its boring....but is it still a relevant cert? I've read that its lost some of its muster, but people i talk to said, for whatever reason hiring managers cream their pants when they see it.

Personally, i don't really look at certs when i hire techs, other than differing between 2 close candiates, but hiring techs and hiring managers are two different beasts.

It seems to be on every supervisor/manager position listing I see. If you're going through a "technology recruiter" all they do is run through the stuff on your resume and try to match it apples-to-apples with the position listed so I'm definitely working on getting it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I need some guidance. I've been doing helpdesk for quite a bit of time. I feel like it's time to start specializing more into things I'm interested in but don't know where to go with it.

Basically, I enjoy communication and organization and standards. I'm fine with servers but where do I go from there? Exchange? Cisco? Lync? Any suggestions would be great. :science:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Organization and standards? Those are awfully abstract. Project management? CAPM then PMP?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Organization and standards? Those are awfully abstract. Project management? CAPM then PMP?

For an example, I look at different client's AD structures and just shiver at how unorganized they are and how there no standards for users or security or anything :negative:

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

I need some guidance. I've been doing helpdesk for quite a bit of time. I feel like it's time to start specializing more into things I'm interested in but don't know where to go with it.

Basically, I enjoy communication and organization and standards. I'm fine with servers but where do I go from there? Exchange? Cisco? Lync? Any suggestions would be great. :science:

If you want to be a server admin - Red Hat Cert and Network +
I tend to tell It techs to shy away from cisco unless you plan on being a network engineer. Its a lot of work for something most folks don't care about unless you want to be a network engineering professional.

If you enjoy standards.....six sigma and ITIL are good ones to have, but they arn't cheap.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

For standards - ITIL
For organization, project leading, etc. - PMP
If you are fine with servers, stay with them. More than enough field of work and certifications to match that path.

Look at other Cisco, Juniper and HP certifications, only if you have at least some exposure to network administration.
I recommend Cisco CCNA even if you will stay with servers. It gives a good base to build upon.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

AtmaHorizon posted:

For standards - ITIL
For organization, project leading, etc. - PMP
If you are fine with servers, stay with them. More than enough field of work and certifications to match that path.

Look at other Cisco, Juniper and HP certifications, only if you have at least some exposure to network administration.
I recommend Cisco CCNA even if you will stay with servers. It gives a good base to build upon.

I would second the CCNA and recommend the data center track if you are on servers. The data center CCIE is one of the most practical of all the CCIE certifications at this point, my friends that have done it say the content on the test makes sense and is relevant vs. some others that seem to try to be tricky and have obscure content that you would never do just to make the test hard.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
I recommend against the CCNA if you're going to stay with servers.

I am a server-type guy who does not want to get into networking so I did both Network+ and CCENT because I'm a cert junkie. Even the CCENT goes into stuff I will never ever touch or use. If you're at a small shop and are forced to do networking or you want to branch out into networking then a CCNA is a fine idea but from a servers perspective it's overkill. If I'm a server guy why do I need to know about DMARCs, OSPF, how RIPv2 deals with routing loops, or any of that junk? Does a server guy need to know how to enable SSH access for switch management or how to backup and restore a router config or how to modify router ACLs? Nope.

Network+ and CCENT show that I know networking from a server perspective. Anything more will show potential employers that you want to be a network guy. If you're still undecided look at the objectives for the CCNA and see how many of them would apply to your day to day job as a server guy then decide.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

hackedaccount posted:

I recommend against the CCNA if you're going to stay with servers.

I am a server-type guy who does not want to get into networking so I did both Network+ and CCENT because I'm a cert junkie. Even the CCENT goes into stuff I will never ever touch or use. If you're at a small shop and are forced to do networking or you want to branch out into networking then a CCNA is a fine idea but from a servers perspective it's overkill. If I'm a server guy why do I need to know about DMARCs, OSPF, how RIPv2 deals with routing loops, or any of that junk? Does a server guy need to know how to enable SSH access for switch management or how to backup and restore a router config or how to modify router ACLs? Nope.

Network+ and CCENT show that I know networking from a server perspective.

If you are only going to stay with servers and that is all you want to work on then I kinda agree. Having some data center architecture knowledge is useful if you want to move up in your organization and work better across teams.

hackedaccount posted:

Anything more will show potential employers that you want to be a network guy. If you're still undecided look at the objectives for the CCNA and see how many of them would apply to your day to day job as a server guy then decide.

I don't thing CCNA Data Center would make your employer think you wanted to be a network guy, maybe a data center guy. Here is the link to the data center exam topics if you want to have a look DCICT.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

dotster posted:

If you are only going to stay with servers and that is all you want to work on then I kinda agree. Having some data center architecture knowledge is useful if you want to move up in your organization and work better across teams.

I disagree with this. I call myself a "server-type guy" but my official title is architect and I do a lot of engineering and architect type work. I would not expect a networking guy to tell me how to configure SSH on my Linux systems or how many CPUs to use and I wouldn't tell the networking guy which routing protocol to use or how to configure it. It's important that I let him do his job and he let me do mine and that's where basic (Network+ / CCENT) type knowledge comes in handy. It's enough so I can understand VLANs, understand the traffic flows, do troubleshooting from a client perspective, and tell him things like "255.255.255.248 won't work because it doesn't have enough hosts", but it's not so much knowledge that I get all up in his business and do his design for him.

dotster posted:

I don't thing CCNA Data Center would make your employer think you wanted to be a network guy, maybe a data center guy. Here is the link to the data center exam topics if you want to have a look DCICT.

That one actually looks pretty good, first time I've seen it but again straight CCNA where you dig into routing protocols, avoid stuff like that if you're a server guy.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
For MCSA: Server 2008, is this MS Press kit still the recommended option? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735663289/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Any other books I should pick up?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

hackedaccount posted:

That one actually looks pretty good, first time I've seen it but again straight CCNA where you dig into routing protocols, avoid stuff like that if you're a server guy.

The first half of the CCNA Data Center (i.e. the first exam) is all networking theory, with application on Nexus equipment. I flipped through the study guide and it has intro to IP addressing, intro to subnetting, intro to routing protocols, etc. So, it still fits in a lot of the CCNA R&S stuff.

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

dotster posted:

Its not, the DCICT is perfect as it skims all the topics you need to know and does look good on a resume. Data Center Techs tend to do a lot of physical layer and some lower end software work. They run around and touch things, that's their job. As far as moving up, the CCNA isn't really good unless, like i said you plan on being a network professional technician. Not a manager, not a admin, Not even a network manager of network technicians. Why? Because the CCNA dives into stuff you don't need to know or will never use unless, you guessed it, you do networking....

I have interviewed tons of candidates who put CCNA on their resume and still don't have a clue how any of it works outside of a lab. Learn the poo poo on the data center floor for a couple years, if you want to be a networking technician go for the CCNA and then BECOME A NETWORK TECH. Data Center technicians that have CCNA and don't want to move on to networking pretty much just wasted a ton of money for very little.

I much rather see a Network+ on a resume as it skims more of what you need to know.
DCICT or some kind of entry to mid level data center cert plus network + would actually make me dive into that on a resume as a hiring manager.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

QPZIL posted:

The first half of the CCNA Data Center (i.e. the first exam) is all networking theory, with application on Nexus equipment. I flipped through the study guide and it has intro to IP addressing, intro to subnetting, intro to routing protocols, etc. So, it still fits in a lot of the CCNA R&S stuff.

The first half is, I think Cisco wants anyone with a CCNA to have some networking base.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd say CCENT at least is useful if you plan to never touch a network career and work with servers only. A networking background can NEVER hurt your understanding of troubleshooting and implementing your servers' raison d'être. CCNA wouldn't hurt. I would say that going beyond CCNA might not be as useful at that point because you'd be specializing in network protocols and such, but I think CCENT is more than worthwhile.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 25, 2013

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I spent the better part of a week tracking down an issue with our phones. Root cause: a two-peer load balancer was configured for multicast, and the resulting traffic was causing dropped calls at the site. I am all for server admins understanding what their wizard is setting up.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
With all that being said, you've sort of hit on a spot I've always been fascinated by and that's data centers. Would doing the DCICT be a good start towards that?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
As an engineer, I expect anyone wearing the "systems admin" or above title to understand at least;

- Subnetting
- VLANs
- Routing (not protocols, just the basics of how a packet gets from A to B)

I have done a lot of systems administration in my current (soon to be previous) job and you pretty much need to understand those areas just for simple tasks, though you can fake your way through. Kinda the same that I understand the basics of virtualization so I can confidentently configure networking for virtual environments and assist in problem determination.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

abigserve posted:

As an engineer, I expect anyone wearing the "systems admin" or above title to understand at least;

- Subnetting
- VLANs
- Routing (not protocols, just the basics of how a packet gets from A to B)

I have done a lot of systems administration in my current (soon to be previous) job and you pretty much need to understand those areas just for simple tasks, though you can fake your way through. Kinda the same that I understand the basics of virtualization so I can confidentently configure networking for virtual environments and assist in problem determination.

I would agree with you, but I've seen way too many systems guys who think everything past the NIC is magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

CrazyLittle posted:

I would agree with you, but I've seen way too many systems guys who think everything past the NIC is magic.

It is not magic, you just plug the cable in and it works! What's so hard about making two computers talk to eachother anyway? :negative: