Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Not quite certifications but I guess this is the best thread to ask: Anyone ever taken Prove It exams?

I have three that I have to take. MS SQL, Server 2008, and VMware.

I want to say I'd taken their tests before, for things like Word and Excel and it would frustrate me that if you used a keyboard shortcut it wouldn't give you credit and things like that. I'm assuming it's going to have me do the basic things like 'Create a new user', 'Change file permission', 'Create a share and quota', 'Change IP address of a network adapter', all that kind of stuff.

I haven't done any sysadmin stuff in a little over 2 years and it was all 2003 back then. I just don't want it to have me do something complicated like something advanced in AD, replication or clusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone have any AWS certifications?

I'm thinking without a CS degree this is my best chance at getting a developer/devops job

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Relevant (to the discussion, if not the thread topic): Stack Overflow: Helping One Million Developers Exit Vim

:lol:

Not ashamed to admit I would just reboot the loving computer when I first started using Linux in the 90's. Then I learned about virtual terminals and 'kill', and then I finally learned how to use vim

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There are no Redhat testing locations in my state for RHCE/RHCSA exams. Do you take them online instead or something?

https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/locations-facilities

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also no one can ever find the blue console cable, sorry.

Or get the goddamn usb to serial driver working

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

20 year IT veteran, network/sysadmin, python/ruby/php development, windows/linux/mac, manufacturing/erp/healthcare, server hardware/wiring/vmware/phone systems, a pretty good mix of everything

I don't have a bachelor's degree so I find myself locked out of some of the bigger companies around here. I make about $75k in a small city in the midwest and I've been looking to make the next step up to $100k+

I don't have any certifications, other than an A+ that I got back in like 2000 or so. I bought an RHCSA book a few months back but I've also had a baby join the family lately so that's been taking up some of my time at home. I could probably knock that out in the next 2 months or so, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of Linux jobs around here, at least not paying anymore than I make now.

I realize that there might be remote Linux jobs out there but I'd prefer to not work 100% remote.

I also realize everything has been moving to the cloud, but no companies that I work for have been buying it. So the next logical step would be start working toward something there, AWS vs Azure certifications? I 'like' doing Linux stuff so would AWS make any more sense there? Also wouldn't mind something doing development again, not real sure.

Part of this is not being left behind in 2000's sysadmin world, part of it is wanting to make more money. Should I bother finishing the RHCSA or just jump straight to cloud certs?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

Or you coule opt for the Certified Developer but that doesn’t seem directly to line up with your current experience. Doesn’t matter and you can still do it, but if you want to take the quickest/easiest route I wouldn’t start with the Dev one.

I was a Rails developer for 3 years, but that was the only job where I was a full-time dev and not just doing it in addition to sysadmin stuff (10-20% of the time)

I think I might just start the AWS ones, I always get distracted and want to learn a little bit of everything so I think I just need to choose something and stick with it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MJP posted:

The worst part is that I can't talk myself through stuff out loud and they don't like it when you prop your chin up. I didn't notice how much I depended on those until I had to force myself to not do 'em during practice exams.

wait what

do they think you're looking up a cheat sheet or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

MS Ignite is doing their challenge stuff again for a free certification voucher

https://csc.docs.microsoft.com/ignite/registration/March2021

You can just click through it all and be done in about a hour if you wanted but the material is always good. Looks like the best exam voucher though is AZ-104.

Going through these...this is such a nice improvement over free Amazon training that I've seen. Is there anything similar for AWS? This just seems more structured and clear.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

I have a bunch of cisco routers and switches for a ccnp lab. The problem is the only place I can keep them is in a room with no network connectivity. So I basically have 2 questions:

1: is there any kind of wireless or bluetooth console adaptor?

2: is there any kind of wireless bridge I can use for ethernet connectivity to the devices?

I use either a laptop or SFF PC, connect it to WiFi and the usb/serial adapter to the switch, and then just remote into that computer from my desk

Most server rooms are loud and it’s annoying to be on the phone with a tech while they remote in. It’s quiet at my desk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

App13 posted:

So I was a sysadmin in the Navy like 8 years ago. Have since gone to college to get a degree in geology, currently doing that, want to return to the world of IT.

Back in the day I had A+, Network+, and some entry level MS and VMware certs. In terms of busting back into the field, what should my go-to certs be? I was a windows guy for sure, but I have relative comfort in *nix based environments as well

Do some security-related ones. 8 years of military experience you will have recruiters crawling all over your LinkedIn profile.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oyster posted:

First real IT job, yeah. Was retail IT at Staples for 2 years ("Easytech Expert", I did most of the consumer fixing), then a tier-2 printer contractor at a hospital for 7, mostly dealing with hardware, got to do some network/AD stuff (ldap configurations mostly). Got the A+, Net+, Sec+, and CCNA, got the job at the MSP.

I was thinking maybe finishing the degree wouldn't be worth it since I already have the certs they end with and the Watchguard certs would directly impact my next raise. Still, I'd like to get back into the hospital I left as a full employee as opposed to a contractor, and the degree would help with that.

I'm hearing that the degree would be worth more than the raise the extra certs would likely give me. Much to ponder.

Get the degree because if you don't you'll regret it for a long time

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How easy are the Fortinet certs?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MF_James posted:

I did NSE1-4, NSE1-3 are worthless marketing bullshit, NSE4 I would say was equivalent to CCNA, but mostly assumed you knew theory and quizzed on optimal/ correct ways to implement things, which thing to configure to do X, how to configure X, etc. I passed it after managing them for 1-2 years, having studied for the ccna, and then like a week of spending 2-4 hours a day reviewing.

Didn't do past that but 4 would be your start anyway, that will be the "I can configure fortigate firewalls", the higher level ones were for FAZ, FMG, I think 8 was architect, forget what the other was, they might have more than 8 now.

I have been using them for a while so I figured it wouldn't hurt, plus when we get our new guy he can do them too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TastyLemonDrops posted:

So I've completed my WGU degree and am in the process of job hunting. I received a CCSP voucher as an optional certification from WGU that expires in a year. Since I have no actual professional IT experience yet, passing the exam nets me an Associate of ISC2 rather than CCSP. Does anyone have thoughts on the value of that vs one of the associate level AWS certs in the hunt for my first IT job? I've already got the A+, Network+, Security+, CySA+, and Pentest+ as part of school.

That's a dangerous amount of certs for not having any work experience

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Professor Messer is completely free on Youtube and goes over most of the CompTIA certs. He's actually really good, but kinda on the dry side.

Drier than Sander Van Vugt?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"IN THIS VIDEO, WE EXPLORE THE MYSTERIOUS CLOUD"

:beerpal:

Turns out you can get the first couple Fortinet NSE "certifications" by just learning a few buzzwords

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shouldn't take 3 months to study for A+

Re: memorizing DDR speeds is stupid

Welcome to certifications...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

Is it possible to break into QA via certifications alone with zero IT experience? My initial plan was to get the A+ certification, then work a helpdesk job and rack up some experience and certifications (N+, Security+ etc etc etc). However, I've seen a few postings for remote positions for " Entry Level Software Quality Assurance Tester" that seemingly do not require any type of IT experience.

If I were to take the basics ISBTQ exam and get certified, could that be enough to get me through the doors for an entry-level position? I have also considered going back to school to get my Masters in informatics, but I would like to make the best use of my time, and I'm conflicted about the best ways to break into the industry. I have zero experience with SDLC or programming, but I've started learning Python and enrolled in the CS50 class to get the basics down.

Never heard of it (ISBTQ)

Look at your local job listings and see what they ask for. A lot of places are still doing manual testing and they just want someone with attention to detail etc.

A lot of software test jobs are going to want you to know whatever language their test suite runs in. You might need to know Selenium, at least the bare minimum of stuff like Git, you'll have to learn whatever bug tracker they are using, not sound completely clueless when devs or end users communicate with you.

My wife doesn't have an IT background and works in software QA, but she's just a button-clicker and spell checker. She's not writing test scripts, they don't do automated testing, she's manually testing apps on mobile devices, proofreading things like emails that go out to users... QA can be pretty loosely defined.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

God I hate certifications

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Uno Venova posted:

All I'm getting offers for is those month long Desktop support contracts at the moment (no experience)

Has anyone taken like a 2 month contract when they didn't have any experience and was that enough to start getting actual direct hire work in IT?

You might have to do a couple more contracts through that company but you should be able to get a direct job either through that company, or somewhere else within a year.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Has anyone taken RedHat exams remotely? Their requirements are a bit goofy

https://www.redhat.com/rhdc/managed-files/tr-remote-exams-preparation-ebook-f27382-202103-en_1.pdf

quote:

System requirements
O Computer: You will need a computer with a single active monitor. Red Hat supports many Intel-compatible X86_64-bit architecture computers.

O USB hub: One wired USB hub is allowed if a hub is needed to accommodate permitted peripheral devices as described below.

O Mouse: A wired mouse is optional but recommended. A wireless mouse is not allowed. A wired mouse is required if you use a laptop with the lid closed as described below.

O Keyboard: Only one keyboard is allowed for the exam. If you wish to use an external, wired keyboard with your laptop, you will have to keep the lid closed. This configuration will require the use of an external monitor and wired mouse as well. Wireless keyboards are not permitted.

O Webcam: One external webcam with at least a 1m cable.

O Monitors: Only one physical display will be allowed for the exam.

O Connecting an external monitor to a laptop: You are only allowed to use one monitor, one keyboard, and one external mouse. If you chose to connect an external monitor to your laptop, the laptop lid must be closed throughout the duration of the exam session. You will be required to use a wired keyboard and a wired mouse.

O Sound and microphone: A working microphone is required. Verify that the audio and microphone are not set on mute prior to the exam.

O Power: We recommend the use of an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) for your computer, external monitor (if used), and networking equipment to maintain internet connectivity during power outages.

O Desktop or tower computer placement: All desktop or tower computers used for remote exams must sit either on top of the desk being used or in a place that allows a full 360-degree scan of the computer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Got 614/700 on AZ-104 and failed :owned:

Mostly did youtube tutorials (like 12 hour ones), Microsoft Learn modules, and poking around in Azure for study. I felt wildly unprepared for most of the questions and like I was just guessing on many of them. An added bonus my ability to remember the questions for study later is about as good as my ability to absorb and retain the material.

I'll study harder and try again. This was on a free exam credit from MS Ignite which is why I was so willing to march over the cliff. Any idea on how big of a gulf 85 points is? Are we talking "dang that's close" or "bro you're hosed"?

Surprised that's not a passing score, it's 87%. Does Ignite let you take it again free or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

You got this! My best advice for these types of exams is to do a shitload of practice questions, and read the rationals. That may help you get in the right mindset. Some creative google searches may turn up free resources for those practice questions.

I think gaining 9 percentage points is absolutely doable next time.

I believe the scoring is out of 1000, and 700 to pass.

Oh it looked like that meant 614/700