Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I have a question about Cybertraining 365. It's offering a certificate program for "ethical hacking" for about $45, and it's a field im looking to get into, but I can't find any information about CT365 other than stuff from their own website and a couple advertisements on other tech sites. They claim to have over 1600 reviews, but I can't seem to find them, and all of their individual programs have maybe 1 to 20 reviews rating them between 3 and 5 out of 5 stars. $45 isn't a lot, but I am looking for certificate programs that will be strong on a resume so I can find something entry-level. I'm also looking to not get scammed out of my money, as I don't have a lot to start out with. Any information regarding CT365 or other starting certificate programs for programming would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Outside of going to school for it (I'm about to finish my bachelors in physics already), what is a good avenue for getting involved in IT at an entry-level position? Are there certifications or classes that can be taken?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Buy a book for the Network+ exam. You'll learn real quick if IT work is up your alley, and it will be good for landing interviews at entry-level positions.

e: to this point, I had a friend of a friend talk to me about getting into IT. He was really psyched about working with computers. I handed him my N+ book and told them to give it a look-through, and a month later followed up asking how it was going. He said he read the first few chapters over and over again because he just wasn't getting it or retaining any of the information. On the one hand I didn't want to scare him out of a career path, but on the other hand there are a lot more complicated things you'll have to learn than the first few chapters of N+. It's not for everyone.

Are there any books you'd suggest for this? I already have some minor professional experience with networks and computer security, so I'd be interested in learning more.