Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I really want to get the 70-640, but I have 0 experience as a Sys Admin. Since Server 2008 R2 is kind of prohibitively expensive to buy just to play around with in VMs, is there some better option?

The 70-680/685 (MCSA Win7) is very attainable for me, with the imaging/deployment subjects the only thing I am not familiar with.

Really I just want to move toward a job for Tier 2 Deskside Support with some ID admin duties so I can start getting more experienced with Windows Server..but I don't know if an MCSA for Windows 7 support would do much to help me toward that goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

madmaan posted:

Are you currently a college student?

Nope, no college degree either. But I've been working at a service desk for about 15 months and want to get out of there as soon as I hit 2 years, to move up to a tier2 job and hopefully never work Hell Desk again.

I know college students can sometimes get very cheap licenses from MS but I don't qualify for that unless there is some other alternative (and not filez).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Ganon posted:

Go here and download the iso: http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-official-iso-images-180-days-free-trial-download/

Then when the trial is up dump the VM and start over.

Awesome, thanks.

Is a 6-month timeframe a bit too optimistic to learn and take the 70-640, coming from someone who has no direct Directory/Wintel server admin experience?

Basically I plan on knocking out the A+ in a week or two (gotta read up on my FDD cable pin counts, ISA bus bandwidth and Various Cable Lengths), then go for the MCSA Desktop Support in about 3 months..then work toward that 70-640 and hopefully get it before the end of the year.

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 26, 2013

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

MCSA without any experience would be very difficult. It wouldn't hurt to have one of the three tests so you can claim to be an MCP.

So if I just pass one of the MCSA tests but don't do them all to earn an MCSA, I become MCP certified?

.. Which is the easiest WIndows 7 MCSA test? 70-680 or 70-685?

I am in between jobs right now so if MCP is something I can reasonably add to my resume within two weeks I feel like I should go for it.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I'd like to play around with a domain environment/AD/Exchange, but I don't have the PC hardware to set that up. Are there any free or reasonably cheap options where I can play with some hosted sandbox?

I really want to move to a Windows system admin job in the next few years as I view it as the next logical step, but am not sure how to truly learn it when I don't have the environment to play around in. I mean I can study and memorize books and watch videos and probably even get an MCSA, but I won't feel I actually know anything until I have hands-on experience.

If the best way to learn it is to build a domain from scratch using the trial version of Windows Server 2012 then I guess I'll save up to build a lab but I was wondering if there were other options.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I wouldn't go for an MCSE in Windows 7 (does that even exist?). The Windows 7 cert is basically considered to be the 70-680 - Windows 7: Configuring. That gets you MCTS, and by virtue of getting any Microsoft cert, MCP. That said, Microsoft exams are pretty overly-difficult for the material, and they'll nail you on things you'll never use in the real world. Also, while I'm sure Windows 7 will be around for a while yet, you are kind of spending some time studying on an OS that's approaching, however far away it is, end-of-life. If you're interested, the 70-680 + 70-685 (another Windows 7 exam) will get you MCSA: Windows 7. Possibly overkill for a field tech position though, and I personally failed the 70-685 exam twice before moving on to other things.

Personally, I wouldn't bother renewing your A+. If you need it to get over any HR walls I'd just say that you have it, and if asked about it in an interview (you almost definitely won't be), explain that you've allowed it to lapse. You could consider Network+ if anything; it's higher-tier than A+, cheaper (as it's only one exam) and you might learn a little studying for it, whereas it sounds like A+ would all just be a boring rehash.

Another cert option at the field tech might be the ITIL, but I've never taken that and have only heard bad things. That said, I see it mentioned in a lot of technician postings.

Doesn't A+ renew if you get N+? I don't know if that is the case if A+ has lapsed though.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Ugh my dumb A+ is about to expire in 4 months and I feel obligated to keep it for some stupid reason (probably because I spent $700 on it). Guessing my best bet is to just take Network+? That is just one exam, right?
Other option is Security+. Not sure which is better to have a on a resume today, or if I should maybe even consider getting both. I've been slacking on my certificates.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Does Microsoft still have a windows desktop management certificate? Or should I just bite the bullet and go for Server 2016? Though I don't even know if test sites are open right now, it might be a better use of my time during quarantine than playing guild wars 2 all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

ElGroucho posted:

Everytime I think about getting an MS certificate, they change the system or retire it, so I've pretty much given up on the notion.

Yeah that's why I haven't got one yet. Every time I check they've completely changed their entire system. Looks like they are retiring their MCSA/MCSE system too and changing everything to 'role-based' and all have Cloud names.. I think the modern desktop administation one would be this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/m365-modern-desktop
but "Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate" isn't going to hit on any resume scanning systems any time soon the same way "MCSE/MCSA" does, though it would hit for Microsoft + Office 365 so maybe that's why they name it like that. And it isn't that expensive (2 exams, $165 each).

Maybe I'll just go for Network+.