Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I passed ICND1 with only a 2950 so it's definitely doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I have ICND2 in a few days. I've had it booked since September but sickness in the family has meant I had to put it off. Luckily I've been able to push it back time and time again so as not to lose my fee but it doesn't seem possible at the minute.
So I'm about 90% of the way there, If I had the option I'd cancel my test and rebook for next week (but I'd probably lose my fee). ~

So this is for anyone who has passed ICND1/ICND2. Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to ICND2 for my last minute studies?

I'm fairly confident on the IOS stuff and subnetting quickly. I've done a fair bit of routing, NAT and ACL. I'm most concerned about IPV6 and Frame Relay. I've only got one Serial link in my lab so I plan to practice today using GNS3.

e: I managed to post-pone the test by switching test centres. I'd still appreciate the input but atleast I've bought myself a week or more

ToG fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 2, 2013

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Remy Marathe posted:

The reasoning I've always read is that it's a lot less likely to be fruitful targeting and scanning for ports on an IP which may not even refer to a live machine, so disabling ICMP response for publicly addressed servers and firewalls at least keeps them a little under the radar.

I'm not as clear how much benefit you'd gain by disabling outbound ICMP traffic but I don't know jack about security.

My ISP disabled all ICMP echo on all their DNS servers which have failed multiple times. It frustrates me because I can't pinpoint the fault easily and get them to admit where the fault lies.
e: I report the fault to my ISP and they have another company which manages the DNS servers. The problem lies with my ISP not being able to 'prove' the fault is this third companies fault.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
So there's a new harder CCNA coming this june apparently.

Video of CCNA 5.0 from Cisco

ToG fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 13, 2013

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Ganon posted:

The current test won't stop being available right away. It should be around for at least the rest of the year.

Exactly. I've had ICND2 booked since september but had to postpone due to family illness. Hoping to finally go for it soon.
I like the idea of IOS 15 being a part of CCNA but it really does price alot of people like myself out of the market when you consider used gear.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Tab8715 posted:

This has to be a joke... Right?

I've had a few run ins with people on other networking forums who hold CCNA/CCNA:S and are asking basic questions because they landed a job and now can't do the work. As soon as they're exposed no-one helps then anymore though so they move on.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
:siren: Info on CCNA 5.0 ICND1 :siren:

todd@lammle.com posted:

I took the exam the day it was released.
Here is my assessment: "Take the current CCNA, make it twice as hard and rename it CCENT".
I'm trying to finish my book up, but I have to add a whole lot more on IPv6! I mean a lot more, so that will keep me busy for another few weeks.
That's all I'll say for now....I may create a new post, but I want to write it carefully and correctly.
Todd Lammle

The exam was released a day or two ago. The E-books are available from some sources but the print books aren't.

ToG fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 28, 2013

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is a great way to put it. I've used GNS3 for about 10 hours, and I'd say I've gained 9 hours of GNS3 experience, 1 hour of Cisco. I'm sure this gets better as you go on but it doesn't make me eager to revisit it since I feel like I'm working on irrelevant knowledge.

This is why I use GNS workbench and Vmware Player. All free, Pre-setup and no issues.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah since we're talking about it, what IS a current CCNA lab looking like these days?

The same as ever. Ideal lab for cheap seems to be 2-3 2600xms, 2 x 2950s and a 3550. The new exams need ios15 but it's pretty identical to ios12.4 bar a few commands relating to how licensing works. A cisco 1841 256MB Ram/64MB flash is the minimum kit that can run IOS15 if you really want to run it.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I don't think that up to date stuff is a priority if its not going to be asked on the exam.

I was listening to the packetpushers podcast backlog and there was an episode (around 2010 maybe) where a guy saw someone at cisco live with his laptop out using some sort of dump to practice an exam. Does that still happen? How do these people cope when they get jobs?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

routenull0 posted:

Note: I am against braindumps in every fashion, no matter what explanation is put forth, time in the hotseat tends to rule those individuals out, but I have an interesting question.

What is your method to find the gaps on where you need to study? Pony up the money (or worse, have work pony up the money) and take the test and if you fail, hope the score report tells you what areas you did the weakest in?

You CAN get proper practice tests if you're that way inclined. I normally use the questions at the end of chapters to give me an indication of what I've learned and what I'm weak on. Hell I missed ICND1 and that test report is what meant I aced it the next time.

A brain dump however is literally the questions that will be on the test. I have no idea how people can rationalise that as normal behaviour and not cheating. FYI if Cisco find that you've been cheating (i.e. via their analysis of your tests) they will not only strip you of your certs, they'll ban you from Cisco certification for life. Why would anyone in their right mind risk their career just to save a few hundred dollars on an exam.

ToG fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 15, 2013

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

routenull0 posted:

Considering I have personally turned in 3 different "practice" test questions from Boson that matched up to actual Cisco exam questions, I know that not all practice tests are created equal.

And given the amount of people that do in fact brain dump, I don't think anyone is risking career suicide by doing so.

Are you sure about that?

There's a huge difference between three questions in a practice test being the same as the actual test and every question being on the actual test.

ToG fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 16, 2013

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm about to finish my CS degree and it seems that (in the UK atleast) all the networking jobs require 2-3 years of relevant experience. I've seen no entry level networking jobs so it seems that sys admin might be the only route to go to get experience.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
My view is that the old test is fine if you plan to go on to the CCNP route after but otherwise taking the old test means you miss out on a bit.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

workape posted:

Alot of training partners send their trainers to take the test over and over again to help them better understand and prepare their students for what is on the test. Read that as they are trying to tailor their class to the test to ensure that you pass, which then you will tell everyone that you passed because of this awesome class from Flobbles Training, which will then bring in more people and more money for them.

Is this some sort of grey area as far as NDA is concerned? It sounds like a clear violation to me.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

KetTarma posted:

Well, I can go through the Darril Gibson N+ practice test and get almost everything right (still weak on cable speeds/distances and what base standard does what), ditto CompTIA website practice test, have watched all 186 N+ videos on Professor Messer at least once, have skimmed most of the Lammle book, and read 2 books on information security practices.

With no networking experience other than being what the average computer literate person knows, am I somewhat prepared? Im not under any huge time crunch since I'm a fulltime student and won't start looking for a job for at least another year.

The general rule with these things is that the videos give you the understanding but you really need to have read the book to get the full breadth of knowledge. Try doing the questions at the end if each chapter in the lammle book after reading the chapter. If you can't get all the questions right then you aren't ready

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
What's the content of icnd2 like as regards ipv6? Is it a topic or is it involved with other topic questions like ipv4 is?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
^^^
GNS3 Workbench is good for this.

Failed ICND2 today with 700 or so. Have been putting it off for a long time and was completely out of practice for simulations. Took me far longer than I thought it would. Compared to ICND1 I found time management a much bigger issue too. I found the questions reasonable but I did have a few gaps where I had to guess.

ToG fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 8, 2013

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I wrote them out for icnd1 but only referred to them AFTER deciding on an answer. I think that confirmation actually sped me up.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
In theory you can pick up a 3750 on eBay and rip it's IOS. Then download VMWare player and the GNS3 Workbench VMware image. Then you can use the 3750 ios image in gns3.

Even using ios images in GNS3 is a legal grey area though.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I had meant to buy a 3725. Made a mistake there. 'c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T10.bin' is the recommended image for GNS3 workbench.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

jane came by posted:

I'm not sure if I asked this before, but can Lammle and Odom's materials for the 2007 edition of the CCNA be used over their new books for the new test if you're planning to take the new test? Are the new tests really that different or do they just rearrange, remove and add a few things?

They're not useless but the new exams go further than the books and add a few new areas of study that I believe weren't normally discussed until CCNP level.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
So I won't be able to sit icnd2 before it expires, is there much to the new one?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Anyone taken ICND2 2.0 yet?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I thought it was available for a while now. ICND2 1.1 expires today.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm sitting the new icnd2 in a few weeks . Anyone else sat it or am I the guinea pig?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm planning my studies and considering going the Cisco academy route for CCNP/CCNA:S just because I'm finding it hard to motivate myself. Is doing these over 2 years a reasonable goal?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Just passed icnd2. Pass mark was insane at 825 and I felt not enough new content was tested (I failed the old icnd2 a few months back). Some of the sims gave me a show run which let me breeze through

Edit: my advice for test takers is to study everything. I had some preconception of what would be heavy on the exam and focused on it whereas a more balanced approach would be best.

ToG fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 25, 2013

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
While I agree just be aware that he doesn't always go into enough detail and a book is essential.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm thinking about offloading my Cisco home lab to raise funds for some microsoft certifications I want to take. I figure some of the people here might have experience with purchasing such gear so do you think I'm better selling each device/module individually or selling the whole thing as a CCNA/CCNA: Voice lab?

edit: It's two 2950s, a 2600 and two 2600XMs running 12.4. T1/E1 cards, BRI cards, Wic-1ts, Voice cards and a basic audio rack.

ToG fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 2, 2013

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Yes but should I sell the lot as one unit or sell each router/switch/card individually. I have my CCNA and can probably get by with gns3 for a while.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm sorry if this isn't allowed or frowned upon but I'm selling my CCNA lab to fund my next exams so if you're in the UK you might be interested in some of it. Just some 2600s/2950s and some nice expansion cards for CCNA/CCNA voice.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

psyopmonkey posted:

Try this book for ITIL. linky

You could study the material for 2 weeks and pass. The test is retard level easy.

This actual exam costs silly money though.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

lifenomad posted:

Net+ certified, looking for CCNA cert sometime this year.

I have been looking hard at training materials and study guides and I have read a lot of good things about Todd Lammle's books. I am about to purchase the CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120

Does anyone have experience with this book? Guaranteed results or my money back?

I used the old CCNA lammle book for the old icnd1 and new icnd2. Apart from the missing topics for the new icnd2 i found the books brilliant. There were some mistakes in the books with the Q&A at the end of each chapter so keep an eye out for that. The book is very good at explaining things and the Q&A stuff gives you an idea of whether you got the info you needed.

I found CBT nuggets was good for getting the initial concept but it didn't go into the detail you need which the book did.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm planning to go after MCSA in Server administration but I've a few questions. I have a CS degree, CCNA and about 2 years experience but im still struggling to get interviews. Will having the cert help me over the experience I have? I'm wondering if im missing the short list because im missing it.

Also is it best to go for the 2012 variant or 2008 (since that's what gets used)?

Also what are the best resources/books. I used Sybex books for CCNA and a lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Just finished a 6 month contract as a junior network administrator so doing nothing. My experience before that was junior sys admin. I'm applying for mostly sys admin stuff as the networking stuff here expects 3-5years experience. I was considering MCSA as being unemployed atm I have the time to study something.

I really need to update my linkedin and sort it out its pretty much blank at the moment. MCSA/MCSE is always in the desirable. Many posts here seem to ask for ITIL and citrix experience which I have none of. I'm trying to avoid hopping from contract to contract and get in somewhere permanently where I can really contribute.