Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, is there such thing as a technet reseller, or discount codes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Work is requiring me to take CISSP, is there a ton of overlap with Security+?

Guys at work are telling me CISSP is harder, but I'm wondering if getting both would be worth it/easy once I got CISSP.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

^^
It's actually for government work, they require me to get either Sec+ or CISSP.

stubblyhead posted:

Going for Sec+ after getting a CISSP would be like going for a GED after getting your doctorate.

Good to know.

Just saw the requirement of five years of full time work experience which means I'd only be able to get Associate at the moment.

Is associate CISSP still drastically better than Sec+ on a resume?

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 9, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Well, signed up for my CISSP exam. After two months of self studying and a week of class, I can safely say I want nothing to do with ISC2, CISSP, corporate America, or capitalism in general.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

hitachi posted:

What did you use to self study? I have some out TestOut Labsim stuff but I don't know if it has been updated since then. Probably gonna do CISSP after I finish CCNA because I see it on pretty much every job listing as a plus.

Mostly the Shon Harris book (and practice exams and DVD) as well as an old review seminar handbook that a coworker had. But who knows if they are good training materials. My company also had their own training materials and quizzes.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Passed my CISSP this morning. Took about three hours. First try but I was pretty sure I only got like... A 650. But apparently not!

I prepared the night before by reading a bunch of blog posts about how it's an outdated dumbed down cert that no longer means anything.

But I don't care. I passed.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Seems like most of the people complaining about the CISSP being dumbed down just really want it to be a technical certification. If you did technical proficiency on all ten topics... I see a thousand people in the world being able to get the certification. If you want technical proficiency look for those certifications. It's like complaining that you asked for a basketball player and are shocked when they don't play football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

exethan posted:

How early in your career are you? Is there still a requirement to get a reference for five years of experience?

5 years or 4+ a bachelors degree.