Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Proposed getting some certs to my boss in my performance review (VCP, MCSE:Server and one I just discovered, MCTP:Administering and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager). I know it will never happen because we have no training budget (and my direct supervisor thinks certs are worthless, but that's another issue), and I even told him that I knew the department would never pay for them, but this goes in my permanent employee file, so now it's there in stone that I requested this training. Whatever good that will do me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Checking in to say I got into the Stanly class, and it couldn't come at a better time. For those that have taken it, is this the correct textbook:
https://www.efollett.com/webapp/wcs...categoryId=9604

It's the textbook for the CAS department, course number 300039, section 300. No idea if that's the correct information, I just filled out the Google form today. Also no way am I putting in my Social Security number into a Google Form.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So heads up, if you're from Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky, or Minnesota, you can't take the SCC Vmware class. I just got this email.

quote:

State Authorization Compliance:
Federal and state regulations require that all institutions of higher education comply with existing state laws regarding distance learning. As these regulations are continuously evolving, Stanly Community College (SCC) makes every effort to maintain compliance where feasible. SCC works with the regulatory agencies in each state and US Territories to seek authorizations, exemptions, or permissions to continue to offer distance education programs, courses, and certificate programs to residents who wish to enroll in our distance learning education offerings.

Admission of out of state resident applicants to an online degree, certificate program or individual online course offered by SCC, is dependent on the College’s ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence.

At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Minnesota.

Additionally, students enrolled in programs or courses that require internships or supervised clinical placements will be unable to complete these activities in the states listed above.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I gave Stanly my dad's address in Wisconsin and told them I was moving so I'm back on track.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, as someone that already runs their own VMWare cluster, can I just skip most of the lessons in the Stanly course and jump straight into the labs?

Also is he just gonna read every slide in these video lectures?

E: First lesson and he's talking about vCloud Director, which I don't know anything about, so I guess I'm getting something out of this.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 29, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MJP posted:

Anyone else finish the Stanly course material and glad as hell they didn't buy the textbook?

I really wish I could have written a check to VMware and been eligible to get the cert via the books alone.

My work paid for it all so I don't really care, but I haven't cracked the book yet. I did the first 3 quizzes based just on my existing VMware experience.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, trying to finish up the Stanly course, kinda stuck on the DRS section. I'm at the point where I'm getting DRS to balance the load, and... it's just not working. I've got both VMs at 100% CPU, which is putting the host load standard deviation at .5, and the target is less than .05. But even though DRS knows it's imbalanced, it won't recommend any changes. I can just skip it and go on because I understand what's going on, but what the hell is happening?

E: Ugh, both guests had an ISO attached that was on a datastore that was only on host 1, fixed it.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 10, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there any practice tests or anything for the VCP5? I just finished the Stanly course and it felt like a giant rubber stamp to me, so if the test is at that level then I should sit it right now.

On the other hand, I skipped watching the lectures, but I've been running VMware for a couple of years now so nothing in the labs was new to me.

Basically, not sure how to approach actually taking the VCP5 test.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a link to this:
https://vmware.stanly.edu/

It says you login with your moodle username/password, but if I try that it says it needs to be an email address. Neither <username>@stanly.edu or <username>@scc.stanly.edu worked.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Moey posted:

So, someone who has done the Stanly ICM course, quick question.

Do I need to watch these painful videos or can I just rip through the labs?

Rip through the labs only. If you bought the course book, it's just a binder of the slides and some explanation. I watched the first two and decided I was done and just blew through the lab in 2 or 3 sittings.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Recomedation on VCP5 study books?
There's the official one listed in the OP: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0789749319
It seems to be for the 510 exam only?
There's also a pair of books written by Brian Atkinson, one for 510, one for 550: http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Atkinson/e/B0085535BS/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1399908027&sr=1-1

Any idea which one is "better?" If I've taken the Stanly class do I have to take the 510 exam, or could I also take the 550 exam. Is there any benefit to taking one over the other, since they both end with the same VCP5 cert?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've read Scott Lowe's book cover to cover, I just have no idea what's actually on the exam, or what skill level its at. Which is why that offical VMware book looks useful, because it's got some sample questions etc?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What is Micorosoft Certified Systems Engineer translate to these days? I'm applying for a job where they want you to have one within 9 months of hire, but obviously that doesn't exist anymore, so I'm wondering what they might actually want.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cenodoxus posted:

Last night I decided I was going to finally take the Stanly CC VMware course, so I went to add myself to the waitlist aaaaaaaaaand...

gently caress.

Welp, there goes that idea.

My parents live in an eligible state. Is anything stopping me from using their address? Will I even get anything in the mail for this course?

As a resident of MN, I was able to put in my Dad's address in WI and had no problem. I just made up some BS about how I was in the process of moving and that was my new address.
The problem arises from those states not viewing the Stanly course as a college course or whatever, but all I care is that VMware accepts it, I don't care what the state thinks.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just ordered the MS Press books for 70-410, 70-411, and 70-412. Hopefully I can bum rush this poo poo and actually get a drat cert. Hopefully this is better than the last time I tried to get an MS cert. I've got the previous 2008 equivalent of the 70-410 book that I ordered over 2 years ago and never even cracked. At least Amazon is willing to buy it from me for $20!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bluegoon posted:

Is MCSE still so loving weightless due to braindumps all over the place?

Also when you say MCSE do you mean Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer which doesn't actually exist anymore?

I'm getting kind of tired of seeing jobs requiring "MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)."

I think the current equivalent is the MCSA.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
MCSE Means Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert now, but it doesn't directly translate to the Systems Engineer. If you look at the upgrade path from Systems Engineer, MSCA: Server is the best equivalent. Solutions Expert is a step above that that didn't really exist with Systems Engineer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That's the best explanation I've seen, and certainly makes the most sense. Looking via upgrade paths it's really hard to tell, becuase there's a pretty clear path from 2003 to 2008 Certs, but then to upgrade to 2012 they just throw all the old stuff in a pile and say "if you have any of these you're good, now take this 2012 upgrade exam." Except the MCSE certs still both require separate design and implementation coursework, so I guess they're saying you're 2003 design and implementation skills aren't good anymore.

E: And that means 2 more books into my queue. The MCSA is a subset of the MCSE, so you've gotta get it no matter what.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 18, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think it means Primary Field Engineers, they're basically consultants employed by Microsoft that will come in and do Microsoft stuff for you. In his case I'm guessing one came in and setup some SCCM stuff.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I searched and found a few references to Whizlabs for practice tests, but has anyone used any of their training videos? I see a year subscription is only $100 right now, which includes access to all the videos and practice tests, and I'm planning on working on a couple Az Certs to get myself up to AZ-400. I've tried going through the "free" training and it felt very confusing and unfocused, and it turns out I don't learn very well just by reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just got access to A Cloud Guru yesterday, so I haven't looked at the offerings much but I'm impressed so far. I bought a Udemy course for AZ-104, the basic Azure Administration cert, which was the highest rated course by far with 14k reviews, and it's fine. But ACG also has practice tests, more labs, and potentially a cloud sandbox, which is helpful because I can't practice everything in my Azure subscription at work.