Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I had my first networking instructor pop his head into our class one night to ask the department head if "the internet is down". He'd seen the same thing as the rest of us: a message from a fresh Apache installation on the campus server. So even forgetting for a moment that IP had to be working for us to see said message, he had actually walked away from a computer and came over to our class to interrupt and ask this rather than try pinging or loading any other web page anywhere, which would've shown him the problem was isolated to the campus server.

This is the guy who teaches people basic troubleshooting, ping, tracert etc. probably 4 or more times every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I don't think so, at least I've never had a problem pinging the outside world from the classrooms when everything's working properly. I suppose anything is possible in a networking classroom and maybe he had some unusual setup going on over there, but they generally separate the real infrastructure & outbound connection to the internet from the structure used for labs.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The reasoning I've always read is that it's a lot less likely to be fruitful targeting and scanning for ports on an IP which may not even refer to a live machine, so disabling ICMP response for publicly addressed servers and firewalls at least keeps them a little under the radar.

I'm not as clear how much benefit you'd gain by disabling outbound ICMP traffic but I don't know jack about security.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oh what the gently caress. My current game plan was for early July, and half Cisco Academy's course materials are several years old. We haven't even touched IOS 15.X.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 13, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Ganon posted:

The current test won't stop being available right away. It should be around for at least the rest of the year.
That's a relief to hear, I hope you're right. I went to bed last night thinking I was going to have to do double-time to be ready right at the end of the semester.

I'm curious- When they do change, do they make all the test centers adopt the new one at the same time? I mean I'm assuming they wouldn't want to give testees a choice as to which test they pass.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I was just digging for a trustworthy source because our lab assistant was dubious when I mentioned the upcoming change, but I basically I found nothing but a chain of hearsay that ends at "imakenews.com". Not that there couldn't be a leak or something, but an element of doubt has definitely crept into my mind here as far as that specific timetable.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Sorry if this has been mentioned but I didn't see it in the last several pages.
:siren: Attention former Cisco Net Academy students :siren:

Cisco is shutting down NetAcademy soon (June 30th) to transition to "NetSpace", and near as I can gather they are going to gently caress you in the following fashion:
-Former students won't get access to NetSpace. It's a currently enrolled/instructor invite only thing.
-You will lose access to your former course materials. Your previous continued access was a gift, not an entitlement.

So yeah, make sure you have your local copy of the latest version of PacketTracer you'll ever own legally, and hopefully you're done with your reading materials. Really bad handling if you ask me.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

A few questions of where to focus my study time. I have about 8 weeks to go back over everything I learned this last year in my community college's CCNA curriculum before I sit the test. I'd like some idea of what to sweat/cram without purchasing practice tests; I figure I already have Cisco's online course books at my disposal (for a few weeks anyway), packet tracer and plenty of labs, and Lammle's book should be showing up soon.

Please let me know if answering these would violate whatever NDA they put people under and I'll retract the question.

-packet & frame formats: is it sufficient for me to have a functional knowledge of these, or do I need to know the bit length and sequence of every field in every encapsulation format that Cisco has spelled out for me? I mean I assume I should know what protocols use what multicast addresses and about the fields specific to the PDU's purpose, but I'm hoping the rest is trivia they don't test.

-Is it important to know IOS commands verbatim? There's nothing in the curriculum I couldn't sit down and do at a router or switch, and could interpret any command written out in front of me, but I've grown pretty used to tab and '?' completion and I've heard it doesn't always function in the simulators.

-Frequently the course text enumerates things, like "There are 4 aspects to network design: w,x,y, and z.". Is it enough that I grasp what's behind these statements, or should I be prepared to regurgitate stuff like that?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

Any word on some of that sweet sweet IPv6 loving that I inquired about above? I can't find poo poo for mapping this out and determining what I need. These transcender explanations are loving alien.
I only have a background in IPv4 subnetting and I found this article and the comments a very readable introduction to work through:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17232

Hopefully someone will correct me if I understood it wrong, but my takeaway was that it's fundamentally no different than subnetting with IPv4 except
-Good practice is to leave the last 64 bits for hosts
-The first 48 bits at a minimum will likely be determined by a provider.
-For the sake of readability and sanity, it's good to subnet the assigned address space along hex digit boundaries (4-bit "nibbles", so you'll have prefixes that are multiples of 4).

As with IPv4 your bits available for subnetting will be between however many are determined by the ISP and those last 64 bits reserved for hosts.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I think you meant groups of 4 hex characters/nibbles per 16-bit word, groups of 4 bytes would be 32 bits. But yeah, I'm pretty sure I actually understood that cisco article unless I said something incorrect up there. Mr. Bigglesworth is describing issues with word problems that apparently lack enough information to answer, but it's hard to understand what exactly was being asked.

I did notice one commenter at the end of the Cisco article mentioned having been assigned a /56 from his ISP, so I wonder if it's safe to assume a full 16 bits to subnet with on a test.
edit- It looks like IETF RFC 6177 obsoleted the practice of blindly assigning /48's to every end site, though ARIN's site still references RFC 3177.

Mr. Bigglesworth- could you recreate a problem like the ones you're dealing with? Maybe people here know of some assumptions that fill in your "Z".

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 6, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

See, what you are putting out here to me is just gibberish. My head can't wrap around it. I don't know what my mental block is. It reminds me of when I tried doing subnetting on IPv4 and after a while, things just clicked and I have no trouble with that. I guess it's the pressure of pass/fail of the course building up with all of the other stuff in the course that has to be memorized. I just dont want to do awesome on all parts of the test then get a poo poo ton of IPv6 and I gently caress up every one.

Let me take a shot at describing the first one. FORGET that /48 is a standard or recommended allotment. An enterprise, site or local administrator could potentially be given a smaller block to work with, maybe further subnetting a subnet.

They want to know what block you were given to work with here, which would be the bits that do not change across your subnets.

3FFE:FFFF:0:C000:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:C400:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:C800:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:CC00:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:D000:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:D400:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:D800:: /54
3FFE:FFFF:0:DC00:: /54

1. Look at the most significant nibble that changes (the one furthest left)- You see that C becomes a D. Everything left of that (48 bits) is clearly part of your network prefix. But is there more? To tell where the network prefix ends, you need to know the leftmost bit that doesn't change.

2. Consider this nibble's actual bits in binary as it changes:
C = 1100 (8+4)
D = 1101 (8+4+1)

3. Notice how the first three bits don't change across subnets either. These three are then also part of your network prefix; those 3 + the other 48 that obviously match (3FFE:FFFF:0) =51. All your subnets are identical through the 51st bit.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Edit: I was overthinking #2. For starters, they appear to assume you are NOT employing VLSM for these. So if your network portion is /52, and the subnetted address you know is /55, that means three bits are being devoted to subnet addresses. 3 bits allows for 8 subnets, and the previous admin has already assigned 4 of them. That leaves 4 more.

Third problem went like this:

1) Let's look at what they give us for a network prefix: 3FFA:FF2B:004D:C000 /51

Since /51 is not a multiple of 4, we already know the division's going to be in the middle of a nibble, so it might be easiest to break it down into bits.

Below: Numbers between [ ] are in binary instead of hex, the tilde denotes the end of /51, where the network prefix ends and your portion to dick with begins.
pre:
                   C      0    0    0
3FFA:FF2B:004D:[110 ~ 0  0000 0000 0000] 
2) Per the problem, there are 4 departments you want to give one subnet each to. You need 4 subnets. You already know this part: 4 subnets requires 2 bits, and in binary will go like:
00= First Subnet
01= Second
10= Third
11= Fourth

You need to dig 2 bits deeper than the network address to subnet it four ways, therefore your subnet prefixes will be /53.

3) So for the fourth subnet, make those next two bits after the network portion '11'
pre:
                   D      8    0    0
3FFA:FF2B:004D:[110 ~ 1  1000 0000 0000] 
Notice now, that first '1' made the first nibble into a 'D', and on the next nibble, binary "1000" = 8

Therefore the fourth subnet is 3FFA:FF2B:004D:D800 /53

I don't know how anyone can do this poo poo without scratch paper honestly. But after doing it longhand, I can see that as soon as you know how that first nibble is split, you know it will only ever be a 'C' or 'D'. That rules out answers 2 & 3. Answer 4 is the same as the network address with a longer mask, so that's guaranteed to be the first subnet and therefore not the 4th. So really you could answer the question before fully solving it by elimination.

But whenever I get confused by shortcuts like that, I return to the bit level.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 7, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, the community here is pretty cool. I got into my VCP course this fall as well. 219 bucks for 16 Tuesday nights. I'm 32... I feel too old to go back to community college.

Dude, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by who populates CC night classes. At 35 I found myself dead center between college kids and 40-somethings. I got scoffed at when I referenced my age as a hindrance.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 9, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I passed the 640-802 today, jesus that's a load off. :woop: I've been stressing this test all summer.

Now I "only" need to find a secure and local entry-level job that lets me apply what I know and learn more without sacrificing the cushy health and dental of my dead-end government job. Shouldn't be too hard right?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Agatsu posted:

Absolutely true, but I still don't want to pay for it more than once.
Just wanted to say I get it- I assume a lot of the guys in this thread are making IT salaries to at least some degree. On a clerical's salary in a high COL area, gently caress yeah I sweated the thought of having to shell out over $300 on a retake. That's not beer money, it's emergency fund money.

To your earlier questions, without breaking the NDA I think you definitely want to be proficient enough with the CLI that you can pretty thoughtlessly navigate it, at the very least use tab completion and '?' on top of a good feel for the many commands such that you don't need to sit there and think about it. Knowing the poo poo blind from two semesters' worth of labs setting up and tearing down routers and switches was a huge factor in my inishing the test on time.

Best of luck, kick its rear end, fear is the mind-killer etc.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I've moved on to Cisco Network Academy's Firewall & VPN course (for the 640-554) after the CCNA curriculum, and wow does the quality of the online reading materials take a nosedive between the two. Most recently I've hit page after page on what specific GUI buttons to push to configure a Cisco Secure ACS server, which is tedious as hell without having been given a sample network or any kind of concrete muse to apply to what I'm learning.

I was planning on supplementing the reading by picking up the "CCNA Security 640-554 Official Cert Guide" from Cisco press, anyone have any thoughts on that book or suggestions for something else? I found Lammle's CCNA book a great supplement due to its slightly different approach to things, and if the Cisco cert guide is as phoned-in as the course text feels I'm not sure it's worth picking up.

e- vvv Good info, thanks.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 16, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

What did you think of Netacads CCNA stuff?

I am in that course right now at a local college. We are finishing up Intro to Network right now and starting Routing and Switching Essentials stuff on Wednesday.

I tallied all my original scores for the first 11 chapters in the Intro to Networks course and came up with about and 87% grade. The instructor has allowed tests to be retaken after we re-study and I am now up to 98.7% on my average.

I felt Cisco's Netacad reading materials and chapter tests (not so much the practice questions at the end) were very good. In past classes I've frequently encountered badly designed or badly worded multiple choice tests, things written by instructors that don't care if their "answer" isn't strictly true or there are two technically correct answers, etc., but I encountered almost none of that in the Exploration curriculum. The times when I thought I had encountered a bad question, looking deeper it was pretty much always me that had hosed up and missed some nuance in the question. Took me a while to trust them, but by the end of two semesters I did.

Obviously always investigate why you got any given question wrong, and focus on understanding beyond just the grade. Between the Netacad materials, lots of practice in Packet Tracer and the classroom lab, and an instructor who helped put things in work/real life context, I felt like it pretty thoroughly prepared me for the CCNA. Lammle's book was just icing, filling in new details in some places (I think he covers the configuration register better, for example).

Make sure you take your time with your labs, do things the hard way when it seems like good practice, and be curious. Try to break things, ask yourself questions beyond the lab, etc, because that stuff will pay off. For example there's an exec level command that's not implemented in Packet Tracer- terminal monitor, and I believe all of one sentence was devoted to it in the Netacad reading material. Anyone who has ever spent time connected to a router via ssh or telnet will swiftly discover they're not getting verbose output on-screen, wonder why, and learn about the command. But half my class was unaware of it because they did all their configuration over console ports. You can be just as lazy in packet tracer, clicking on every device to configure it. But later when real labs begin to consist of 6 devices or so, you find these dudes plugging & unplugging console cables constantly because they'd never learned to think through how they might set it up to do their management in-band.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

Really?

People aren't aware of using telnet or more accurately ssh over something outside of a console cable?

It's not that they weren't aware of their existence, it's that a good chunk of the students didn't bother to use one except when told to do so, which meant less practice, fewer educational mistakes where you inadvertently cut off your ability to access a section of the network, that kind of thing. Most people won't notice the lack of verbose output over vty until they're actually trying to debug something over one.

It probably didn't help that our classroom had patch panels by the lab equipment with 1 console and 1 ethernet port from each classroom PC- so unlike a real network, regardless of whether you were using console or vty you still sat there at the same PC running the same terminal emulator. I think that made it hard for some students to internalize the difference.

You might get a similar urge yourself doing packet tracer labs- the lab is focused on this or that, and unless it's specifically about using Telnet or SSH there's no advantage gradewise to using a "realistic" method of configuring the devices. Many people will just double-click on the device (which is an instant console connection), rather than plopping down a virtual laptop w/console cable, or setting up the devices through layer 3 so you can use Telnet or taking it a step further and generating keys, configuring domain names so you can use SSH to move among them.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

So. gently caress tests and gently caress testing. I don't know what the fick is wrong with me on this network essentials. Got 87% on practice test. 77% on the real one in this class. Some questions were worded in weird ways that didn't follow the format of any chapter quizzes tests or practice test. gently caress THIS SHIBIN THE LEFT BALLSACK AREA. Christ I must be retarded. I've killed my overall average from a 98% to mid 80s now.

Frustrated and confidence destroyed yet again. Starting to think chasing a degree and certs may have been the largest mistake of my life.
Okay dude, wall of text time. Everyone gets frustrated sometimes but you really need to stop getting mad at what's just part of being a student. When you're doing well try to remember that you've barely even begun, when you miss the mark like you did last test be glad for any feedback on your weaknesses. And I don't mean glad like "oh a silver lining" I mean actually loving glad, because you've been challenged to raise your bar.

There's a point where focusing on grades and metrics becomes counterproducive, and you're at it- you're throwing a fit, rethinking your future and calling yourself a retard over a test taking you down to a 'B' average. Try to put that in the proper perspective.

You're there to learn, to make mistakes, including on the tests, to witness those mistakes and react to them in a way that is productive- not by blaming the text, not by blaming the instructor, not by berating yourself, but by moving forward, learning what went wrong and doing your best to correct or work around them in the future. Nowhere in this process are negative thoughts or feelings adaptive. Spot the errors, spot the weak spots of people or texts, absolutely. You can do this without the rage.

This means getting over the fact that technical writers frequently can't write for poo poo, that instructors can be disorganized or useless, that vital facts frequently won't be placed in front of you, that your study habits (notice I did not say innate ability) might need to be changed or ramped up, possibly to a a new level of sacrifice that makes you rethink your priorities.

I sympathize with your posts complaining about various materials because I am a pedantic rear end sometimes, and my first run at college I spent a ton of energy railing on bad course materials and lovely instructors. In hindsight, this was a way for me to stay smug in the face of challenging content- it was always much easier for me to poke holes in the course quality than to actually get around those obstacles and learn the material in spite of them. This attitude I had actually proved fatal to my run at a BS in Computer Science. Looking back I was dumb, but not because I needed 3 runs at Calc before I "got" it, not because of the scattered C's (I'd always been a straight A student! Oh no). I was dumb because in the end I dropped out over an instructor I didn't like and a book I couldn't understand. And I don't think I tried remotely as hard as I could've, because to me it was the materials' fault.

Anyway if format changes affected your performance drastically, I can think of a few possible causes.

1- An actually badly written test, particularly if it was a homegrown one by your instructor. Good news is, that means he should be able to give you access to your test so you can see just what went wrong.

2- Overreliance on memorization of study objectives, rather than understanding them to where you could put these things in your own words.

3- Leaning on the test format. For example Cisco multiple choice tests are very consistent in their design; usually by elimination and spotting something that rings a bell I can get one right even if I wouldn't bet my life on it. That doesn't mean I knew the answer as well as I should. For me it's a red flag if I can't answer a multiple choice question without the multiple choice options.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 18, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

jane came by posted:

Does the new CCNA not test Access Lists? According to this:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/docs/icnd_examUpdates.pdf

...the topics "Securing the network/securing the expanded network" have been removed from the exams, and no mention is made of access-lists on the exam topics.

Higher on the document you linked, "Managing Traffic Using ACLs" was added to ICND1.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah if you just add 1 that's the size of the IP address range you're looking at for that octet*.

.3 -> range of 4 IP addresses.
.7 -> 8-IP address range
.15 -> 16-IP address range
.31 -> 32-IP address range

so 172.16.51.16 0.0.0.7 would include the stated address and the next 7, matching on .16-.23.

For CCNA purposes it's absolutely no different from figuring out the size of subnets, without bothering to distinguish between host, network & broadcast addresses. You might already have those address-space sizes memorized for network masks, in which case "reversing" the wildcard to a netmask works too if that's what you're quicker with.
.3 wildcard = .252 netmask = 4 IP addresses
.15 wildcard = .240 netmask = 16 IP addresses
etc.

*With contiguous wildcard masks only. Like someone else mentioned, it's possible to have discontiguous wildcard masks with 1's and 0's intermingled, the wildcard mask is a very general concept, but you won't see them in your current curriculum.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 30, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

How do you people (that dont have daily Cisco job duties) cram all of this in your noggin? After this class and a non tech class, I start the final 2 portions of my Cisco classes.

I try not to worry about cramming specifics when learning, especially on the first read, instead trying to understand the general ideas at work and the reasoning behind them. Avoid missing the forest for the trees. I do cram some details later if there's a big test coming, but by that point practice and repetition will already have reinforced many of the important things and it's just trivia that a normal person could just google if they didn't work with it every day.

You don't learn to drive by memorizing series of discrete muscle contractions; at some point you need to reduce all this info you're learning into useful generalizations. That's where practice comes in.

A question for you- do you spend time designing and building your own networks at home in PT? If not, you really should, it is time well spent. You seem to be in this overly literal mode of learning, where having the lab instructions printed out is more relevant to your RIP woes than whatever your routing table entries said. You read the chapter, you could write your own lab- don't confuse it for an authority. The netacademy labs are a basic outline for practice, not a complete learning tool in itself.

When you build something and it doesn't work put away the lab for 20 minutes and actually use your network, consider it, use built-in commands to check functions from the bottom up. If layers 1-3 are all up and good, pretend you're a packet and read routing tables to see where you're getting dropped. Use debug output, and if it's gibberish, google that gibberish to learn what it means. The troubleshooting process is what you're there to learn.

And make your own labs, design your own networks. The variety helps you better distinguish what's arbitrary, like specific network designs, the order of certain configuration commands, and reinforces the general skills you need to actually apply what you're learning.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

My goal is to get a job with the local university, and I have zero work experience in IT. "Entry level" jobs are scarce here, I expect the competition for them is fierce, and most postings clearly want someone who can wear many hats. I've been applying when I can but haven't had any nibbles yet. I have a CCNA, have worked with some programming languages over the years, worked with linux, but have no major projects to say "look I did this!" besides a couple websites and an overwrought home server.

So I was planning to spend this Summer/Fall getting A+ certification to up my chances of landing an interview, but now looking at the objectives I already know the vast majority of this stuff. I'm not enthused about the content at all. Am I right in thinking I might be better served working on an MCSA (Server 2012)?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I personally would not get an A+ if you already have a CCNA. What kinds of jobs are you looking for?
The short answer is "anything IT-related with University X", as it'd be a foot in the door, be more educational and higher pay than my current post, and still allow me to keep the health insurance my family needs. Because I have to be picky right now about employer and location, I have to cast the net as wide as I can- I plan to apply for anything relatively entry level here whether they want a network tech, Jr. systems administrator, PC support, possibly even programming positions depending on how they sound. I've done all of these things on my own enough to know I could enjoy them, and would at least learn more than I do at my current job and get some stimulation from problem-solving.

One of the jobs I applied for involved system administration in a windows environment, and I think having some background in AD and understanding how large Windows deployments work would've made me a stronger candidate. So for something like that an MCSA might have helped, even though it was also a PC support position (which led to me considering an A+ after getting no callback).

So yeah, even as I wrote that I realize an MCSA would've put me in better stead than an A+ for the PC Support position. Not going to waste my time with A+.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 27, 2014

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Docjowles posted:

What are you doing for work now? If you don't have at least some work history in IT, it's going to be very hard to get hired except for the most entry level of roles. Even with certs, since it's not terribly hard to braindump the exams and become a "paper tiger" who doesn't know the first thing about the tech in practice. I'm not saying that's you at all, just that that's what an employer might perceive if they get an application from someone with A+ / CCNA / MCSA but zero days of actual job experience. Doing 6-12 months of helldesk or small business jack of all trades admin may end up opening more doors for you than any entry level cert.
Yeah I know the lack of work experience is working against me, especially when you almost never see true "entry level" positions open up at this school. I would gladly take any helpdesk role anywhere in it for that reason, and why I say (to you guys, NOT to any potential employer) that I would take literally any IT job I can get.

Docjowles posted:

Clearly you really want in to this university. But since you're not in it yet, changing from your current job to another one that will set you up with the experience to get in won't be a downgrade. Try to land something else that will put you on the right path to get a job at the university. Don't just spam a generic "I AM GOOD WITH COMPUTER" resume in to every opening at the uni that remotely resembles IT.
I'm actually already 'in', but work a non-IT job. My pay is poo poo but the health care & retirement are awesome, and any interruption or downgrade in said health care would be catastrophic for my family at present. That's why I'm unwilling to look in the private sector at the moment- if it were as simple as a pay cut I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I do get the thing about not spamming generic resumes- I don't have a lot to rearrange, but do tailor them for every job. Fresh cover letter, emphasizing the relevant skills etc.

Docjowles posted:

Do you know anyone there who could give you a reference? If not, maybe you could do something to raise your visibility on campus. Volunteer with their local ACM chapter or organize and lead meetings of a <whatever> Users Group in the computer science building. Give them a reason to pick your resume out of the stack of 100 that comes in.
Yeah I have pretty good references, particularly on the last app for which I didn't get a callback- they even included a couple people already in IT units there. I figure it was either lack of work experience, or the lack of some specific Windows administration skills that made me not make even the first cut. Eventually I may have to consider taking a night job just to get demonstrable experience without losing my dayjob, but right now I feel like I'd be wiser spending my nights learning. Today I found the relevant courses at our local CC, same place I studied for the CCNA, so between now and the spring I should be able to learn what I need for MCSA Win7 and MCSA Server 2012, and at the very least I'll know a ton more about administering larger scale windows deployments.

Sickening posted:

Lets put it this way. The material you are going to cover in the requirement tests are going to put you in a really good spot knowledge wise. People forget to look at the grand scheme of poo poo you are going to go over. Even if you just buy the books and never take the test, its a giant leg up in applicable knowledge.
Thanks for this by the way, and for your reinforcement of this ethic throughout the thread. I think I believe as you do, that learning and honest-to-god exercise of critical thinking and problem solving is the goal, and good things follow naturally from that. Until I can get paid for that during the first 9 hours of my day I need to do it in my evenings and hope somebody gives me a chance. This is my only option since I'm a terrible bullshitter.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 28, 2014

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I really appreciate the offer (thank you!), but I already feel like I overshare on SA and in any event won't be applying for anything again this summer due to some other life events. When I'm back to the job hunt- hopefully this fall- I'm definitely considering seeking help with it. My resumes have served me well in the past but I'm sure the bar was lower for nontechnical work, I'm definitely due to run them past critical eyes.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'm intrigued by maybe changing my career path to become a Network Engineer. It's somewhat overwhelming to see all the possible routes I could take to that goal, but I think I'm going to start by taking a CCNA course at my local community college (or super cheap state school). I do very well in the classroom context, I much prefer the pressure of a curriculum to online courses and whatnot. Are there any caveats I should take into account when studying Cisco Networking in a classroom setting?

Not so much a caveat as just a bit of advice- in the night classes I took the vast majority of students either didn't attend labs, attended rarely, or at best showed up just long enough to do the assigned labs. Don't do that, plan to use all your lab time. When you get done with what's assigned or feel like a lab is too simple, design and build something else or make the existing lab more complicated. Work with real hardware while you can, you can always work with Packet Tracer or other simulation software at home (and should do that too).

Also the lab setting and simulators introduce some shortcuts that aren't realistic, so it takes a little extra effort to pretend it's a real network after initial configuration. Yes you can keep just switching a console cable between the 3 routers in front of you when something's not working as intended (or in simulators, clicking directly on the device), but if they really represent 3 configured routers in branch offices that wouldn't be so easy. When you start to think about where your own computer is in the network, and force yourself to work from a single point of entry, you run into good problems to think about like whether the order of changes you plan to make will cut you off from part of the network.

I thrive better with structured classes too, but keep your eye on the prize- becoming skilled, not just earning an 'A'. Schools will pass students whether they could hack a certification exam or not, and you might find the pressure of a CC or tech school isn't exactly harsh, so you sorta have to be your own judge of how well you've learned the material and whether you can do better.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

How to be IT from not IT:

First

Get A+ and join helldesk
Get Network+ stay in helldesk

Then

Choose MS cert and be junior admin then work on regular admin

Or

Choose Cisco cert and be NOC tech and make way to network engineer

And

learn Linux and have more options open.

Or

Choose management and never learn about IT. TAKE ITIL and be ISSO.

Are there (generally speaking) other entry-level options besides helpdesk, particularly for people who want to go down the networking path?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Not precisely cert related, but does anyone have any book recommendations for learning AD stuff? There's potentially a sysadmin job opening up at my work soon and while I'm doing ok on the networking side, my windows server/AD skills are lacking. We're running 2008R2 for what it's worth. I'm not specifically looking to test on anything at this point, but maybe down the road.

Ignore this recommendation if "lacking" still means more than zero. Right now I'm taking a "Windows Network Infrastructure" course with this as the text: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (Like $10 used).

It's not explicitly AD-focused (nor as cert-oriented as it sounds), but I'm finding that in the process of setting up network services on a 2008 R2 server chapter by chapter it's also giving me a bit of an introduction to AD, and being a hands-on person that doesn't speak Microsoft yet I think it's sticking better than if I started out with a book with a bunch of theoretical discussion of AD. The caveat is it's useless unless you can find a way to put a copy of windows server on a VM or two so you can do the labs.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Has anyone found a particularly useful book/study source for the Microsoft 70-680 and 70-685 (especially the 70-685), preferably something that helps prepare for the format and design of the exams themselves?

I just finished a class using the "Microsoft Official Academic Course" books for the two, but the 70-685 book was particularly badly written and looks like they didn't even give it a once-over for typos and errors. At this point I plan to continue to lab and work with all the tools introduced, and will be digging for more Professor Messer videos, but would like something that gives a more specific idea of the what the test is like. I'm a little worried that the cert exam will be full of shoddily written questions, like questions with one "correct" answer despite more than one of them being strictly true.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

Agreed. For the 680, the sybex book was decent. For the 685 I just labbed like hell. It probably helped I'm on help desk and I was able to apply some of the stuff I was learning when dealing with incidents.
So are you able to describe the difference between the 70-685 compared to the 70-680? With the 70-680, there was so much "meat" in the microsoft academic course text, so many factoids and things I could see them testing me on I'm fairly confident I know how to study for it. But the only thing I know about the 70-685 is that it's "a lot harder" (per our teacher), that the MS text for it was vague about troubleshooting procedures and frequently inaccurate, and that they spent some time going over networking stuff in such a cursory and sloppy fashion that I'm not sure they're qualified to test people on it. The only concrete, testable thing they seemed to introduce was their rather forced categorization of security threats, also only discussed as a rough overview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Has anyone done the recertification for Cisco CCNA (now CCNA Routing/Switching)? Is the test just as difficult as the certification exam? My CCNA is expiring next Fall, I'd originally planned on keeping it current by just pursuing another Cisco certification but I've started a new job (yay) and I'm not sure I want to invest the time in a new certification this spring.