Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

psydude posted:

Seriously, CompTIA? Who the gently caress still uses T568A. That's like asking for a network diagram on a token ring network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T568A#T568A_and_T568B_termination posted:

The United States National Communication Systems Federal Telecommunications Recommendations explicitly forbid T568B, as does all US Federal guidance on new construction for the US Government. T568B is deprecated (removed) in the current TIA/EIA-568-C standard[citation needed]

When I was taught (here in Australia), A was the standard one and B is the one you use for crossovers. Either way, T568A is not exactly obsolete like Token Ring or coax physical bus networks!

Edit: Passed the CCNA exam last week. Had some questions that were definitely not CCNA material (checked through cert guides, looked in CCNP books). I'm guessing they were the beta unmarked questions the intro mentioned. Or maybe they are mentioned in the official 3rd edition cert guides. I studied from the 2nd edition which is from 2008. :shobon:

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Since I was actually looking this topic up just a few weeks ago, here's the RFC for it. RFC 3021. It is only a proposed standard despite being written in RFC 12 years ago and being implemented by Cisco devices since 2001. I guess they're focusing more on IPv6 at this point! Imagine all the IPs that could have been saved... But I guess a lot of older hardware wouldn't support it.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Ganon posted:

While we're talking subnetting, I have a dumb question.

Watching CBT Nuggets, and the first example says you bought the IP 216.21.5.0 and want 5 networks (3 offices and the 2 wan links connecting them). The answer ranges are 216.21.5.0 - 216.21.5.31, 216.21.5.32 - 216.21.5.63, etc. But aren't those public IPs? So how does that work when assigning the addresses to servers and clients and such, aren't those ranges also public IPs that other people could own? From what I've seen it's usually private ip ranges like 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255.
I just went and looked at that nugget. He mentions that they bought the "Class C" ip range. This means 216.21.5.0/24 (216.21.5.0 - 216.21.5.255). If you bought that, it is yours and nobody else can use them publicly. I know it's an example but someone with only a offices (and no public internet servers) would probably not buy an entire /24. But if you did buy it, you can use those IPs in your network however you want. That IP range would then be routed to your network and then it's up to you to deal with it from there. The whole reason private IP ranges and NAT were implemented were to conserve the public IP range.