Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Tab8715 posted:

May someone explain what's the difference between System Administration and System Engineering positions?

It can vary, but engineers build the solution and admins manage the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

oogs posted:

I asked about the value of having certs a while back, and expressed how the lack of them hasn't hurt me. Well, now that I'm looking to change that, I ran in to one small snag:

Red Hat certs or LPI certs?

I'm a linux sysadmin. There is little/no difference to me* for the base set of exams (through RHCE/LPIC-3). Does anyone know if there's a difference as far as HR is concerned?

*I work in a mixed environment. RH/Centos5+, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS+, a few Win servers that are not my responsibility. No Debian, some BSD, we've purged solaris. Mix of Virtual and Physical hosts. While we're moving towards Ubuntu in the long run, I will most likely be changing jobs before that plan matures.

Red Hat certs are much more valuable.

three
Aug 9, 2007

AntennaGeek posted:

So, the training budget got canned at work-- I was supposed to be sent off for RHCSA class this fall, followed by the exam.

Is it unheard of for someone already familiar with Red Hat/Centos in a production environment to be able to study/pass the RHCSA class on their own, without the week-long class?

( I've been studying the test objectives, and can do 3/4 of them by pure muscle memory alone... )

Any suggestions for study materials would be welcomed; I was planning to sit for the exam in August.

I never took the class, read the book by Michael Jang, and got a perfect score on the RHCSA. The book prepares you well for the test, so with that and a good amount of experience with Linux you should be fine.

There was one guy in the exam with me that got up, yelled at the instructor (their instructor proctored the exam, too), then left without finishing. I thought the exam format was cool, but is definitely harder than multiple choice if not good with the material.

three
Aug 9, 2007

If your certs aren't at least semi-related to what you do, I think it degrades them and your resume in general.

three
Aug 9, 2007

If you buy TechNet, are the licenses it gives you for that year good forever or just essentially 1-year-long trials?

three
Aug 9, 2007

demonachizer posted:

Do you guys know of anywhere that offers a similar course setup to the Stanly Community College VMware ICM course? i.e. Online and semi self-paced. I don't mind paying a bit more if it doesn't have a 7+ month wait list.

http://www.cccti.edu/vmware/ is $1500 and there is one in September.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

OKAY ICM PEOPLE I HAVE FINISHED MY LAB I can host a few goons PLEASE PM ME for details

It's like you intentionally made sure the pony and your facebook were visible.

PS You get what you pay for with community colleges.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Island Nation posted:

Which VCA cert. should I go for if you are relatively new to VMWare?

They're all literally worthless, and VMware should be embarrassed to have added them. Not saying that to be mean, but there is zero point in a certification that can be taken in an hour online with no knowledge of the platform.

three
Aug 9, 2007

They aren't worthless if they teach someone something. Yes to an experienced IT person it is kinda dumb, but to someone who new virutalization or new to IT. It is a really is a good for someone testing the waters on vmware it can be a great entry point.

Training isn't worthless if it teaches someone something. Certifications are to show measurable knowledge. If you can watch an hour video, never touch the tech, and then pass a test then the certification is worthless.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Dunno Seen a few people who it has helped it is worthwhile to them in pursuing the VCP

What can they do now that they couldn't do before? What measure of knowledge does it provide?

You seem to be arguing it's valuable because it gets people interested. That's not the point of certifications.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Really? Sometimes getting confidence in a subject is a much needed boost to help people get where they are today(I know I wouldn't be as cool as I am today without the help of some really cool goons. Getting the VCA is a major self confidence boost to some people such as IT managers, and PM's;

Certifications aren't meant to be an anti-depressant, or cheerleading confidence boosters. They're meant to certify knowledge in something. The format for the VCA is so easy it can't accomplish that. It's less valuable than someone passing the VCP with a 100% brain-dump test cheat sheet.

quote:

sure they aren't engineer's but sometimes you got to think outside the box of the people who might be achieving that certification. Granted I wouldn't hire someone because they boast passing a VCA but it's a start for a lot of people.

Passing the VCA is not an achievement. They could have made it an achievement, but a quick video and then a short quiz is pathetic.

The original VCA for VMware View accomplished this, and followed the same format as the VCP but without the course requirement.

You seemed to get upset when VCP course instructors didn't do a good job in teaching people, yet you're okay with a joke of a certification. Seems contradictory.

three
Aug 9, 2007

I like that you completely miss the point of certifications. :allears:

three
Aug 9, 2007

What that it is meant for people to learn?

It's not meant for that. Go to a dictionary and break down the word. Root word: certify.

From VMware's own website for the "certification:"

quote:

With the VCA-Cloud certification, you’ll have greater credibility when discussing cloud computing.

VCA-Cloud Benefits

- Recognition of your technical knowledge

three fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 21, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

If you can't make the mental connection that a certification is meant to certify your technical knowledge and that if a certification can't accomplish that then it has failed, then really I don't know what to tell you.

You keep going on and on about how people have to start learning somewhere, which has nothing to do with anything discussed. That's the point of training, not certification.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Would you give someone a certification in physics if they watched a 3 hour video and took an online quiz? Or would that be... wait for it... worthless to demonstrate their knowledge of physics?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Really, this can all be summarized by this:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Certifications should be some sort of measurable knowledge beyond "being able to nod your head and look comfortable as smarter people talk."

Also, this:

Contingency posted:

As a prospective employer, what value should I place in a cert representing an afternoon of effort?
As a prospective employer, would it be reasonable for me to assume that if someone is certified in something, they have more than a casual understanding of the topic?
If yes, do certs that do not meet that criteria devalue vendor credibility and that of certifications in general?
If no, why should an employee bother to put that cert on their resume?

three
Aug 9, 2007

GOOCHY posted:

I just list "Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)" and the month and year I obtained it. At my current gig they asked for my Cisco ID number after I was hired so they could use it toward their partner status.

This is the best way to do it because it ensures that regardless of how your resume is searched it will show the CCNA on it. (e.g. if they search for just the acronym or the full name).

three
Aug 9, 2007

I love virtual training, and hate physical training.

I pay so much better attention virtually and participation seems to increase by everyone in a chat setting instead of having to raise your hand and interrupt course flow.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Tigren posted:

Congrats on the pass. I'm studying for the same test right now. Is it as straight forward as it's made out to be? Study the Jang book and I'll be good?

The Jang book rocks, but you'll want some experience as well. I thought it was a cool test. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be based on Jang's book/questions.

three
Aug 9, 2007

MJP posted:

VCP peoples: after taking the Stanly course, what book did you use for the VCP510 exam prep? I need something physical, not online, so just reviewing the blueprint and such may not be my best option.

I'm leaning towards http://www.amazon.com/Official-Certification-Guide-VMware-Press/dp/0789749319/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383771075&sr=8-1&keywords=vcp510 - any thoughts if that + home lab practice is enough for the exam?

http://www.amazon.com/VMware-Certif...=brian+atkinson

three
Aug 9, 2007

MJP posted:

So as the VCP course is going on, I just took an offer for a job that runs a XenDesktop environment.

What's the Xen cert course track like? I've run XenApp and ICA environments, mostly just logging off sessions and futzing with worker groups before, but I'm not as deep into it as I am VCP thus far.

Most XenDesktop deployments are on vSphere. If you're running it on XenServer, I feel bad for you, son. At least go Hyper-V.

The new Citrix exams are on XD7 which is a lot different from legacy XenApp environments. They also just changed the entire setup of them.

three fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 9, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

No, posting from my home pc.

Oh wait was that a joke on the fact that some of the "do X" is so delayed?

Also Hope people in the ICM classes now take it pre jan 1st for VCP5, I feel you may want to take it before the end of Feb at latest.

Rematch at Pex gently caress YOU DCD; maybe because I am closer to home base it will be less laggy?

Did you already get your results back?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Does vExpert mean anything worth putting on a resume?

Never include accomplishments or awards. Companies hate that.

Sometimes I just submit a blank piece of paper for my resume.

:)

three
Aug 9, 2007

I used Jang's book. Owns.

Also, when I took the RHCSA, I studied pretty hard for KVM stuff. What a waste.

PS, Exam is pretty cool. Only exam I've ever gotten 100% on. "Do this" exams are far more fun than "answer multiple choice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

I think it's funny the guy saying the VCA certs weren't worthless is insulting the CCA which is much more valid of a test.

The CCA isn't super hard buts it's appropriate for the level it is. I find it hard to believe the VMware sales test is harder.

If you want a good guide to the CCA, the stuff over at http://citrixxperience.com is decent, and is fully allowed as training material by Citrix.