Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The Iron Rose posted:

Passed my GCP Associate Cloud Engineer cert today! Was a pretty easy exam and I finished in about 15 minutes with minimal review. Learning kubernetes was super fun!

I only had 37 pages of notes for this one instead of like 80 for AWS so I'm definitely learning something :v: Mostly k8s stuff, not super comprehensive.

Link for anyone interested: https://1drv.ms/w/s!Avct7YQ-auOFgYRS9l4SXcLPDJGgBA

Big thanks again to the acloudguru course for this.

Where does that GCP Associate cert falls vs doing CKA?

Taking AWS SA associate tomorrow and I've put most of my time into Linux Academy (mostly for the labs) and Udemy courses - Stephane Maarek is a top notch teacher and the Jon Bonso practice tests are supposedly harder than the real thing

Anyways, will also look through your AWS notes! Thanks :yaycloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Passed AWS CSA associate yesterday :yotj: I kinda freaked out over how it had a lot of VERY specific questions over EC2 instance types and pricing, but whatever

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How useful would an AWS SA Associate be if my Linux skills are limited to grep/cat/ping/ssh? I've just been given a sign that I should stop being lazy and start studying again, but I'm not sure how valuable just having the cert is with what's otherwise pretty junior admin levels of experience.

That's where I'm at and I'm in a tech dominant city, hiring managers and recruiters think it's a good thing

air-
Sep 24, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

nothing much has changed between 2019 and 2020, networking's still the same, EC2s are still the same, etc. I don't think there's any major hot new services that would be on the Associate SA exam in the last six months, but either way the ACloudGuru courses are new for 2020.

Stephane Maarek's SA course has a breakdown on what's covered in the new test:

code:
CHANGED / UPDATED CONTENT

Here’s the list of new and updated content. Overall this is about 8 hours of recording. I am not including the lecture numbers here, just in case, I do some small edits here, which would skew all the numbers.

In case you see any issues with any videos, don’t panic, and please let me know. I’ll do my best to correct it as fast as possible.

AWS Fundamentals: IAM & EC2

EC2 Instances Launch Types

EC2 Instances Launch Types Hands On – Hands-On

Elastic Network Interfaces (ENI) with Hands-On

High Availability and Scalability: ELB & ASG

Elastic Load Balancing (ELB) Overview

Classic Load Balancer (CLB) with Hands On

Application Load Balancer (ALB) with Hands On

Network Load Balancer (NLB) with Hands On

Elastic Load Balancer - Stickiness

Elastic Load Balancer - Cross Zone Load Balancing

Elastic Load Balancer - SSL Certificates

Auto Scaling Groups (ASG) Overview

Auto Scaling Groups Hands On

Auto Scaling Groups - Scaling Policies

Auto Scaling Groups - for Solutions Architects

EC2 Storage – EBS & EFS

EBS Volume Types Deep Dive

EBS vs Instance Store

RDS + Aurora + ElastiCache

AWS RDS Overview

RDS Read Replicas vs Multi AZ

AWS RDS Hands On

RDS Encryption + Security

Aurora Overview

Aurora Hands On

AWS ElastiCache Overview

AWS ElastiCache Hands On

ElastiCache for Solution Architect

Amazon S3 Advanced

S3 Storage Tiers + Glacier

S3 Lifecycle Policies

S3 Performance: SAA-C02

S3 Select & Glacier Select: SAA-C02

S3 Lock Policies & Glacier Vault Lock: SAA-C02

CloudFront & AWS Global Accelerator

CloudFront Overview

CloudFront with S3 - Hands On

CloudFront Signed URL / Cookies: SAA-C02

AWS Global Accelerator – Overview: SAA-C02

AWS Global Accelerator - Hands On: SAA-C02

AWS Storage Extras

Amazon FSx – Overview: SAA-C02

Amazon FSx - Hands On: SAA-C02

All AWS Storage Options Compared: SAA-C02

Decoupling applications: SQS, SNS, Kinesis, Active MQ

SQS + Auto Scaling Group

Kinesis Data Streams Overview

Kinesis Firehose & Kinesis Data Analytics

Serverless Overviews from a Solution Architect Perspective

Lambda Overview

Lambda Configuration

DynamoDB Advanced Features: SAA-C02

Serverless Application Model (SAM) Overview: SAA-C02

Databases in AWS

Redshift Overview

AWS Monitoring & Audit: CloudWatch & CloudTrail

AWS Config – Overview: SAA-C02

AWS Config - Hands On: SAA-C02

CloudTrail vs CloudWatch vs Config: SAA-C02

Identity and Access Management (IAM) – Advanced

Security Token Service (STS) Overview

Identity Federation & Cognito

Directory Services - Overview: SAA-C02

Organizations - Overview

Organizations - Hands On

IAM - Advanced

Resource Access Manager (RAM): SAA-C02

AWS Single Sign On (SSO) - Overview: SAA-C02

AWS Single Sign On (SSO) - Hands On: SAA-C02

AWS Security & Encryption: KMS, SSM Parameter Store, CloudHSM, Shield, WAF

CloudHSM: SAA-C02

Shield - DDoS Protection: SAA-C02

Web Application Firewall (WAF): SAA-C02

WAF & Shield - Hands On: SAA-C02

Networking – VPC

NAT Gateways

VPC Peering

Direct Connect

AWS PrivateLink – VPC Endpoint Services: SAA-C02

AWS ClassicLink: SAA-C02

VPN CloudHub: SAA-C02

VPC Section Summary

Disaster Recovery & Migrations

Database Migration Service (DMS): SAA-C02

Database Migration Service (DMS) - Hands On: SAA-C02

On-Premise Strategies with AWS: SAA-C02

DataSync - Overview: SAA-C02

Transferring Large Datasets into AWS: SAA-C02

More Solution Architectures

Event Processing in AWS: SAA-C02

Caching Strategies in AWS: SAA-C02

Blocking an IP Address in AWS: SAA-C02

High Performance Computing (HPC) on AWS: SAA-C02

Other Services

CloudFormation – Extras: SAA-C02

ECS – Extras: SAA-C02

air-
Sep 24, 2007

rogue_squirrel posted:

Going through AWS Certs at the moment. I’m looking for practice exams. Finished SA associate and SysOps associate so far. Working on the sec specialty atm.

Got a month of acloudguru to see what it’s like and their practice exam is pretty good. But find their videos lacking (good for learning what’s on the exam. Not great for actually learning AWS stuff). So not interesting in paying the $85 aud bucks per month for it.

Any recommendations?

Keep an eye out for a sale on Jon Bonso practice tests on Udemy. Those practice tests were harder than the real thing and consistently getting high scores will put you in a good place.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Thanks, sounds like it's probably worthwhile for me to devote a bit of time on as a lead-in for the Associate-level certificate(s).

If I can ask, what made you opt for the Architect cert as opposed to SysOps? More related to your current/preferred job duties? I'm just wondering because I'm debating between SysOps and Architect.

Sysop is supposed to be the most difficult of the associate level AWS certs and that's why most people start with SA or dev

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Are the Udemy courses good enough to get most of the way at least in starter certs for stuff like Google Cloud, AWS? I know MS has their own learning for Azure. I can't really afford the monthly of CloudGuru right now.

Stephane Maarek on Udemy has excellent AWS content and there's tons of other good reviews besides mine - I give him tons of credit for confidently passing AWS SA Associate and I plan to take his other courses as I go through the other certs

You can probably find it on sale too, I think I paid about 30 something for the associate level courses

air- fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 30, 2020

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

There are more qualified people to speak to it but I'll say that is insane for the entry-level certification. A Cloud Guru has a class covering the certification: it's a 10 hour class with labs, and you can get a monthly membership for $40.

https://acloudguru.com/course/aws-certified-cloud-practitioner

I don't have any affiliation with ACG, you can pick any of the other major educators and they'll have similar deals. Don't eat in to your savings for that certification.

*Hell, here is a free course on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hLmDS179YE

Agree with taking a different approach, hell I've seen threads where people with no prior experience but with lots of free time do the all AWS associate certs within as little as 90 days

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Vorenus posted:

I've spent a lot of time on computers, but not in a professional capacity. I've put together my own PC, learned how to gently caress around with Windows settings and port forwarding kind of stuff. So definitely capable of learning/working with tech, but with a very shallow knowledge base.

I'm wondering if cantrill.io is a good option but right now I'm just laughing at myself for getting excited over what amounts to the IT version of Reading Rainbow.

Adrian Cantrill was a good instructor for AWS cert prep when he was with Linux Academy and I imagine he's still considered one of the best out there, I personally prefer Stephane Maarek

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I've generally heard this is the difficulty progression for the AWS associate certs from low to high: SA, developer, sysops

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I also suggest finding AWS recruiters on LinkedIn who are involved with Engineering Learning Series events.

I wish I had mentioned this to Hughmoris (or really anyone else looking to break into their first cloud gig) sooner, my bad!! I see they are doing virtual events right now. The most recent one in NA just happened last week and it sounds like AWS is picking back up on doing these: https://gettingstartedwithbigdata.splashthat.com/

tldr it's a 3 day seminar with in depth hands on training taught for free by AWS premium support. The last day has a technical challenge and completing it is an opportunity to directly go to a final round interview for an AWS premium support role. I did one of these in 2019 and ultimately turned it down, but still found it valuable for both the knowledge (the challenge is good to bring up in an interview) and how to navigate the FAANG interview gauntlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Resubbed to Kodekloud who also has a BF sale, I'm gonna try and out CKA by the end of the year - https://kodekloud.com/pricing/