Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm planning on taking my CCENT in January- I've taken two practice tests, both scoring in the high 80s (main weakpoints are IPv4/IPv6 summarization, and the more memorization-based bits, like matching given services/well-known-ports to TCP/UDP).

My question, I guess, is how much help will this be in terms of getting me hired? My main issue is that my degree (BS in Physics), and my work experience (software development internships with DoD/DoE contractors) aren't too relevant to networking jobs. The CCENT seems to be, well, entry-level, so as someone with almost no network-related work experience, how much trouble would I find getting an entry-level (including helpdesk) position in that field? Would taking the CCNA before seriously looking for positions be a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

psydude posted:

Well, with a CCNA and software development experience you might be able to land a Jr. Sysadmin gig somewhere. But otherwise, helpdesk is the entriest of entry-level positions and they don't really expect you to come in with too much, so a CCENT is fantastic. That being said, bust your rear end to get the CCNA so you can move on to something less terrible in 6 months.

Alright, thanks for the advice :) . I've already enrolled in Cisco ICND2 courses at a local community college which will run the next semester- they have an excellent lab setup, which is wonderful- I've even managed to convince the IT department there to let me in there off-hours to use as a study area. Maybe a bit optimistic, since I haven't passed the ICND1 yet, but I'm feeling fairly positive about it right now- two or three weeks of self-study should do the trick.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
861 on ICND1 :toot:

Time to send out new CVs, I guess. Looking to do the ICND2 in a few months too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GOOCHY posted:

You can do basically everything in the CCNA in Packet Tracer. If you want a fully accurate representation of all the commands in the router - setup GNS3.

Yeah, this is what I did/am doing. It's annoying when you do run into differences between the simulated and actual CLI (the use of the pipe character seems to be the biggest problem I've encountered), but it's perfectly serviceable for CCENT/CCNA work.

(that being said, i'm probably going to spend a few hundred just to get an actual switch and console to work on, if only because it's kind of fun)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 6, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Due to a stupid number of snow-related closures, I have been self-studying for ICND2, and have been moving significantly faster than my CC course schedule- I hope to have my CCNA ready to put on the CV by the end of March. So- assuming baseline CCNA knowledge (which might be optimistic for now, but hey), how long would the "subject" CCNA certs take to study for as compared to the CCNA R+S? CCNA Security's the big one I'd be looking for, since a security cert seems to be a really, really big HR hurdle- especially for DoD contractors (which there are a ton of in the area).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh my god, this bit in the Odom ICND2 book about LSAs is putting me to sleep.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way, I've gotten conflicting information about this from different sources/textbooks, so, uh, for the purposes of the CCNA test, are routers entirely in OSPF Area 0 classified as internal routers? (NETACAD says yes, the Odom book says no)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Does anyone have book suggestions for someone looking to supplement a CCNA with a JNCIA-Junos? The "Junos as a Second Language" WBT that Juniper provides is excellent, but I've always been most comfortable with being able to pop open a book when I've got free time wherever I am.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

To add to this, Juniper themselves also offer a (roughly) 5 hour online course that covers the basics of Networking. I really recommend it, it's very concise. Search "Juniper Networking Fundamentals" to find it on their site.

To add to this even more, if you're going from a CCNA to a JNCIA-Junos, search "JunOS as a second language" for a nice introduction to JunOS that assumes basic fluency in IOS, and illustrates the difference between them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is just personal experience, but though I'm happy with the knowledge I've picked up via the CCENT, the de-facto entry-level cert for networking positions is still CCNA, and I haven't had much success in finding positions asking for CCENT as a requirement.

That being said, very valuable knowledge if you want to do network admin, but you'll probably want to move to CCNA after that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrBigglesworth posted:

So far the only real hang up I am having is the practice test questions that ask what the pin outs on the loving cables are when going from pc to switch, to router, ect. Pick the 3 correct answers that show which pin hits what. Does the CCNA test get that drat deep on loving CABLE PIN OUTS?

6/2 1/3 is a crossover cable. That's basically all you need to know. (Well, you might need to know the general idea of what a rollover cable is too, but that isn't really difficult).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NippleFloss posted:

Got my CCNA DC today, if anyone is looking at going that route and has any questions. There's no book out for the DCICT exam yet, so if you're looking for pointers on what to study I can tell you what helped me.

Did you have a CCNA R+S beforehand? If so, how much material was repeated from that exam? (Someone told me a lot of it was basically "CCNA but with NXOS except IOS")

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ICND2 scheduled for Wednesday :supaburn:

Time to brush up on poo poo before then. Every STP prediction and EtherChannel configuration problem I can think of.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

ICND2 scheduled for Wednesday :supaburn:

Time to brush up on poo poo before then. Every STP prediction and EtherChannel configuration problem I can think of.

810, pass mark 825 :dawkins101:

Not to break NDA, but can anyone recommend good labs/materials for predicting the operation of implementing a default information-originate command? (honestly I thought route redistribution was more of a CCNP thing so I didn't go into that much detail when studying OSPF)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm just lab this later, but what happens if a router gets a default route that points to itself? Does it just keep bouncing until TTL runs out?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Exact situation was- R1 is connected to R2 via S0/0/0, and has a quad-zero route pointing out S0/0/0. This route is sent out S0/0/0 to R2.

fake edit: Just labbed this with a simulator, and R2 automatically drops a packet that contains it's own IP address as a source address. I probably should have known this, but I think the fact that the default route was pointing out an interface, rather than R2's address threw me off. So that's something learned, then.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 24, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Exact situation was- R1 is connected to R2 via S0/0/0, and has a quad-zero route pointing out S0/0/0. This route is sent out S0/0/0 to R2.

fake edit: Just labbed this with a simulator, and R2 automatically drops a packet that contains it's own IP address as a source address. I probably should have known this, but I think the fact that the default route was pointing out an interface, rather than R2's address threw me off. So that's something learned, then.

OK, to conclude this ordeal, if a host on a network connected to R2 (rather than R2 itself) sends a packet with an unknown destination address to R2, the result actually is R2 sending the packet to R1's default route, which sends it back to R2, which sends it to R1's default route, etc until TTL expires- at least, this is what labbing it in Packet Tracer tells me. I did not know that could actually happen, I thought normal OSPF operation generally eliminated routing loops.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By "unknown destination address", I mean that it isn't in R2's routing table (other than the quad-zero default address learned from R1). In Packet Tracer, I was just generating traffic with ICMP pings sent from a host connected to R2 with a random unicast destination IPv4 address that isn't in the routing table.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 25, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
assuming I pass the CCNA on Tuesday, I will be in the position for applying for networking jobs with very little knowledge of enterprise wireless equipment, or MPLS (which shows up in pretty much every telecom network position I see). I did purchase the CCNA Wireless book (not really looking for the cert, just looking to skim through it so I don't totally embarrass myself if someone asks me to configure a wireless router), but can anyone recommend reading on MPLS? (I assume that's what Cisco CCNA SP covers, but that one has no cert guide associated with it).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

810, pass mark 825 :dawkins101:

Retake: 960 :toot:

which... might be artificially high, because seriously like two thirds of the test was repeated from the first attempt. Definitely knew a ton more about various properties of STP/routing protocols than I did the first time, though!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What's everyone's go-to for online/video training these days? Was thinking of trying to knock out CCNA Security in a month since it's now DOD 8570-approved, and I've heard it's not difficult to get with R+S knowledge.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
See if you can make head or tail of this. From what I can tell, it should be acceptable for any "Security+ Required" position?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in all honesty Sec+ bored the hell out of me when I studied for it, which is actually why I bothered going for the CCNA in the first place, so I'm a bit reluctant to go back to it. I'm not looking for a security job in particular, but loving everyone here and in Nova needs DOD 8570, so I might be left with no choice.

Not particularly looking for a security job- dream right now is an entry-level data center/ISP job, but I'm just applying to every netadmin/NOC position that isn't a $15/hr helpdesk at the moment.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh my god, CCP is such a piece of poo poo, please tell me nobody actually uses this after taking the CCNA Security exam.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Haydez posted:

Nobody uses it, and honestly if you never used it I still think you could pass the lab on the exam.

Also, unless they changed it with the recent refresh, get used to ASDM if you go to the CCNP level.

I had to disable like three different security features in Java and IE to get it to work, which caused my antivirus to bitch at me, so I really hope so.

There actually are a few "Under which sub-section is command x found" questions in the included cert guide practice test, and if those are actually on the real test, I might be mad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZergFluid posted:

Passed ICND1.

ICND2 material looks rougher :/

I found ICND2 to be deeper, but less broad, if that makes sense. Much more in-depth study on STP and routing protocols, but ICND1 felt like it had more incidental topics that you had to study, if that makes sense.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You might be able to pass the test after 30 hours if you knew exactly which topics to study, but I really would not have confidence in actually knowing the material enough to interview for it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Keith Barker's CBT Nuggets vids for CCNA Security seem to have good content, but I really wish he'd stop trying to convince me how incredibly fun things like IOS-based IPS are. :shepicide:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh yeah, he seems awesome, but at some points, I wanna just be like, dude, you're talking about using some crappy-rear end Java application to do stuff that you could do in 15 seconds with the CLI, stop with the "hello campers!" speech, man

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've actually been called by a proctor for being 30 minutes late for an exam (I thought I had cancelled it, that was an expensive screw-up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not having any luck in getting interviews with a CCNA so far. I'm probably going to get at least one in the next few months, but how bad does it look if I study for a CCNP with no experience? (I'm by far most interested in the actual routing and switching part of networking, I'm self-studying for the CCNA Security, and it's such a bore, while I absolutely love reading the ROUTE guide, which some have called the most boring book ever made).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

psydude posted:

I have a hunch it probably has less to do with your lack of a CCNP, and more to do with something else, such as your resume, the positions you're applying to, the area you live in (this is a big one), or the way you're presenting yourself in email correspondence.

I'd hope my resume isn't bad considering I spent money on it, but that might be possible. The problem I've been finding is that real junior networking positions seem to be somewhat rare, and IT position terminology is at the point where I'm not really sure where I should be looking (network administrator/network technician/NOC technician/NOC support/etc show up in my search history, and it still seems like I'm missing something). A lot of the positions seem to be looking for some jack-of-all-trades support guy who can effortlessly transition from working on network issues to doing SysAdmin stuff (the amount of CCNA/MCSA Required positions I've seen is surprising). I have no interest in Sysadminning.

I'm in VA, which has a lot of IT, and a lot of government contractors. I have an inactive Secret, which is better than nothing, I guess. With six years of development experience, I'd like to skip helpdesk if possible, but I've grown discouraged in the last month since getting the CCNA.

FWIW, this is the type of position I've been applying for, but I've started sending out resumes to non-salaried helpdesk positions that seem to have an emphasis on networking.

https://careers-chesbank.icims.com/jobs/1012/network-administrator/job

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well, after all my complaining I got an interview for a 45k/yr entry-level NOC position.

A face-to-face interview three hours away, but poo poo, I'll take it :toot:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

6675636b20796f75 posted:

Talk about virtualization and then get even basic virt certs. The Navy is big on that right now.

Do you have your security+ cert?

I'm testing for CCNA Security which is DOD-8570-approved next week.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I suppose their reasoning is that it makes their certifications that much more valuable. If they're difficult to get, then qualified VMWare candidates are more valuable, which should cause more interest in people wanting to pay for certification classes, I suppose?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I personally would not get an A+ if you already have a CCNA. What kinds of jobs are you looking for?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Are ACLs really something that needs a great amount of memorization? You'll get the odd question about exact syntax and what number is valid for an unnamed extended ACL, but I think the bulk of knowledge is more about how they conceptually work, and how'd you set one up to perform a particular task.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm honestly surprised that's even in the book, I was under the impression that you just always assume ip subnet-zero is enabled these days.

That being said, if ip subnet-zero is disabled, you can't use any of the addresses in the all-zeros subnet (in other words- the first block of 64 addresses, represented by subnet id 192.168.10.0/26), so the first valid host address would be 192.168.10.65. These days, however, you basically always assume you can use the all-zeros subnet, and I would personally be shocked if you got a question involving the ip subnet-zero command on the exam.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 7, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When I was taking ICND1/2 this year, the only thing that I remember being locked out was pipe (which would have made some long show commands easier to use). ? worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
890/1000 on CCNA Security, unfortunately, the pass mark is 900 :saddowns:

Mostly the "boring" policy-based questions that got me, so time to read the really dry parts of the book again.