Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not experienced enough to qualify for a CISSP, so I've been considering getting an SSCP instead. Is it worthwhile for someone who focuses on physical and network security?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quick question. Looking into getting my MCSA. Is it worth it to do 2008 and then take the upgrade test to get 2012 as well, or should I go straight to 2012?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm applying for this job because I want a Sales Engineering position in the physical security field and know several people in the company. I don't personally know the hiring manager, though. I have lots of experience in physical security, but they're looking for someone with a heavy data center background. I have a CCENT (and am generally pretty proficient with networking) and I got my VCA-DCV before applying specifically so I could have something VMware on my resume. I'd like to have something else to show I'm capable and can learn the data center stuff quickly, but don't know what I should get. A VCP is out of my budget but everything else just seems tangential at best.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

The spec seems about VMware environments and they are boasting about their VDI stuff a bit, so maybe a VCA-WM or something like EMCSA? Both sound like they'd go hand in hand with DCV. I guess it depends if they're willing to have someone train into it, generally I've known sales engineers as a fountain of knowledge around their product set, and while you may kick rear end at physical security, if they're looking for someone to go out there with an account manager/BDM and sell VMware environments, they'd probably expect the guy to have alot of VMware experience behind them

I'm leaning kind of heavily on my ability to pick things up fast. My contact at the company is going to ask the hiring manager what kind of certs he's looking for and I'm going to study my rear end off to impress him in the interview.

It's a long shot but it's pretty much my dream job, so I'm willing to go the extra mile and gamble a little on some certs that might not be all that useful at another company.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

Have you sent in your CV to them already? If you've already done that and scored the interview, then thats a good sign that they're at least interested in you, and the recommendations from your mates can be worth alot in a company of that size. Hell I work in a company of about 60 staff and the recommendation of two guys that already worked there was enough to get me the interview without even sending my CV in

I haven't gotten the interview yet; my friend sent my resume directly to the hiring manager on Friday. But I fully intend on getting one. :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

crunk dork posted:

Is that the poo poo where the shorthand for a subnet mask is a weird number that isn't a multiple of 8?

Yep. I'm used to it being called CIDR and had to look it up to realize they were the same thing. :downs:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

VLSM and CIDR aren't the same things, are they?

I didn't think so (I was actually going to correct him and say "No, you're thinking of CIDR"), but some quick Googling says they are.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=VLSM&redirect=no :effort:

I'm not sure how that's supposed to blow his mind, though. It's not a particularly difficult concept; it's just annoying and involves too much math.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 20, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

If I were to do the CCNA composite exam how much trivial memorization should I expect to need to do.

A lot. I failed the part 2 twice before I said "Why am I putting myself through this bullshit?" Then again, I never, ever touch a Cisco router in my day job, so it was more of a "this will look good on my resume" thing than a "this is necessary for advancement" thing.

Spend lots of time on OSPF, EIGRP, (R)STP and archaic WAN links.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I don't think there's really that much memorization in the CCNA. Some basic port numbers, link costs for certain protocols, maybe IPv6 group addresses (though I only ever saw those in like, one practice test), but it's mostly conceptual.

I guess it depends on what you consider "memorization." If you're worried about memorizing every port number ever, don't be. But you sure as poo poo better know the order of steps for selecting a spanning tree root switch (and the differences in names between STP and RSTP. Because they change, for some bullshit reason).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

I can do multi area OSPF, can subnet perfectly, layer 3 etherchannel, vlans. I was just concerned about poo poo like what is the default value for the 3rd K value in the eigrp routing algorithm or expect me to know that eigrp's AD is 90, OSPF is 110 or eigrp's protocol number.

You need to know the cost of all the routing protocols, yes. You also need to know costs of different links for STP. Basically just cram STP and routing over and over again, because that was like half the test (Oh God, it's coming back to me. I think I have PTSD).

The other half is going to be "What's wrong with the configuration on R2?"

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 20, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

There is some random incidental stuff like that- EIGRP being 90 versus OSPF being AD 110 gets brought up (I remembered that by reasoning that EIGRP is Cisco's protocol, so Cisco devices would prioritize it. no idea if that's the rationale but it helped me remember). But yeah, it does depend on your definition of "memorization", I guess.

Like, there isn't any "memorize this table of things and numbers that any sane engineer would just look up anyway" like there are on the A+. But, for example, knowing that the command to see what type of devices (switches or routers) your neighbors are is show cdp neighbors is absolutely something you should know without googling.

Oh, and spend lots and lots of time with packet tracer (if you have access to it) or a Cisco router (if you don't). You need to know configuration commands front to back, because they will ask you to do bullshit like know the syntax for a given command is slightly wrong. That's what got me, because I really don't use this stuff enough to bother memorizing any of it (and I've forgotten 90% of what I learned studying).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

I should be okay then because I've done ridiculously elaborate work in packet tracer and real hardware for actual configuration.

For the spanning tree bit is it just know that it sucks and that you should always use (802.1W) rpvst. Root bridge is determined by lowest mac by default, you can specify a certain device you want to be root, you can set different roots for different vlans as a load balancing measure, secondary bridges for backup. Then know the two different commands for actually doing it? I'm just not sure of the scale, depth or finickiness of the exam because I've never wrote a vendor exam before.

They will go deeper than that. They'll ask you to say which link in a network actually ends up being disabled (and on which side the disabled port is). You actually have to follow the logical steps (R)STP takes and draw it out to find the answer. They'll also ask questions on specific versions of protocols you WON'T ever use (like know the differences between STP, RSTP, PVST+ and RPVST because they'll pick one at random). Mostly because they're dicks.

Edit: In fact, just assume they're going to be dicks and do things like set two switches to the same priority in a map of like 7 switches.

Double Edit: Had to clean that up. I'm rusty. :doh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 20, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This isn't directly at you, I don't know you, but why do goons, or the internet en masse, think people need to convince them? His coworker wants to take the VCA - therefore, his coworker is taking the VCA. You don't need to have an opinion on everything. Sometimes it's "here's a link to the exam blueprint, and here's a link to VMware pubs, good day", nothing more is asked of you.

I took the VCA, and I kind of wish someone told me it was useless before spending $120 on it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It took me a couple hours to reply. Hopefully I'll get in. :ohdear:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm all registered for the Stanly class. :woop:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Race Realists posted:

just found out that the ccna exams don't allow calculators

gently caress

You don't need one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm in the Stanly course for VCP5-DCV, and this guy just reads the slides out loud as slowly as humanly possible without really talking about anything interesting. Seriously, it sounds like he's recording these things while doing something else and half paying attention. Am I screwed for the exam or will a CCENT level of networking and a decent amount of experience building and deploying servers be enough to get me by?

I really don't want to have to sit through a million labs that are all "click this and wait half an hour for the loving thing to finish processing" and then have to read a 500 page book on top of it just to pass the exam.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why the gently caress does vmware require the class, then? It just feels like a giant waste of time. :psyduck:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SaltLick posted:

The guy reading the slides is southern as hell and says things like "operatin' system" and it makes me laugh.

"An emulator is like... (15 second pause) If y'all are familiar with those... uh... (20 second pause) Nintendo ROMs, that's the difference..."

Does everybody in the south talk like they have nowhere else to be?

Also, the labs have about 5 minutes of actual content and 45 minutes of waiting for poo poo to load. I looked at the second lab and went "oh, this won't take long" so I only scheduled 45 minutes to complete the lab. The loving thing kicked me out on the last step and I had to do the entire thing over. :argh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Memorize the port chart and find a list of all the dumb variations on Phishing. For some reason it's important that you distinguish between Phishing, Vishing and Smishing.

I spent the first 2 years of my career doing nothing but network security and I went to school for it, and I still have no idea what Vishing and Smishing are.

I'm also not going to look them up because they sound stupid. :colbert:

Edit: I lied. They're even stupider than they sound.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Yeah, I work with it. It isn't every day but I can get around and diagnose most issues. The week was just the class. I've been reading/watching videos since. Mostly I'm just worried about subnetting and ospf. I'm just not 100% solid on those.

If you don't know subnetting like the back of your hand, you're in trouble.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

I guess I should've put it as I understand it\can do it but I have problems doing math in my head. OSPF is only shaky in the idea that I might get a question wrong on which route it would take if given just a diagram without values, if that makes any sense in how I'm explaining it. Sorry for the confusion :( Tests make me nervous and this test is important to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdZqk8BXPwg

Practice this until it clicks. You only need to be able to do up to 255.

Congratulations, subnetting is now easy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

crunk dork posted:

I felt the same way when I was studying for it and yes, it is that easy. Port numbers and acronyms are the two big areas iirc. Also knowing when a mantrap is appropriate vs a turnstile for whatever reason

I do physical security for a living, and I've never needed this information. I mean, I know the difference, but nobody has ever asked me "should we put a mantrap here or a turnstile?"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

CompTIA seems to be in love with the term, so it might just be one of their weird things? It's popped up a few times as I'm studying for the Net+, and even when I studied for the A+.

In addition to the smurfing that was mentioned a few pages ago, I'm also so happy to see them talking about Wardriving and, *gasp*, Warchalking! Everybody batten down your access points, here come those nerds with their laptops and buckets of chalk!

I had to look that up. That's loving stupid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How bad of an idea would it be to try to renew my Cisco 100-101 on the same day I take the VMWare VCP550? PearsonVue is only open on weekdays and I don't get PTO, so bank holidays are my only chance to go. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, that and computer science is relevant to fixing computers in the same way that thermodynamics is relevant to fixing internal combustion engines.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Back when I had 0 experience and getting my N+, I thought "holy poo poo this is a thing?? I'll start looking out for these symbols!"

Now the S+ feels... cheapened for including it. Unprofessional, I guess.

Do any of CompTIA's certs mean jack after your first real IT job? I always felt like they were a waste of time/money anyways. Like those "technical institutes" you see on TV that will totally get you a good job, promise!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I thought the sec+ is like the one that starts being real certs

It's harder than the A+, but as far as I know, it's still all theoretical "This is a thing in security and here's a best practice for it" type questions. It's not like a CCNA-Security.

How exactly is identifying the 15 billion types of phishing going to help in a real environment?

Disclaimer: I don't have a Security+, and I've never taken the test.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Passed ICND1, CCENT! I put that off way too long, and it was a lot easier than I was expecting. I don't think I got a single OSPF question, no IPv6, not much VLAN configuration stuff, etc. Understanding subnetting well (I definitely recommend writing out a chart with CIDR notations) guarantees you like 150-250 points, if I had to guess.

Now to schedule ICND2. Thinking like 6-8 weeks out, I'd like to go back over all the CCENT stuff because I didn't have it down as well as I'd like.

Nice having my first non-CompTIA/Microsoft cert.

I was wondering about whether they added more ipv6 stuff since I took it - I have to renew mine. Also, ICND2 is WAY harder, IMO. I failed it twice. :saddowns:

In my defense, who still uses serial WAN connections?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

crunk dork posted:

S+ is a DoD requirement so if you're ever interested in those jobs it's a leg up to already have it

Someone at CompTIA had to give out a lot of blowjobs to get that contract.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Some people are desperate to have their weird rear end interpretation of hacker culture be reality. Like they're high tech versions of stereotypical hobos, huddled around the glow of the trashcan CRTs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm surprised they don't make you learn that the glider from Conway's game of life is the international hacker bat symbol according to like 3 guys.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

My CISSP is only 2 days away. I've been working at it for a few months now, using CCCure, the new 11th hour book (with the condensed 8 domains), both old and new CBT Nuggets series, and a worthless quiz app.

I don't know what else to do to be ready. To be honest it's the little poo poo that gets me- processes in the SDLC, names of different security models, bullshit admin stuff.

But I need IAT and IAM III, so here I go.

Dude, good luck. I can't wait to go for my CISSP (I'm a year short of the experience requirements and I'm not doing security right now, so the clock is stopped. :suicide:)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slider posted:

Kind of wondering how to get my foot in the door for a better job like Network/Sys Admin. I have a degree, and have been working tech support for 1.5 years now(it's getting very boring, and I'm not learning anything new here anymore).

However, no certs. :( Would most agree that A+ is a waste of time? I was thinking of jumping right into the N+, then S+ after that.

You need to decide if you want to do network work or systems work. If network stuff, CCNA. Probably MCSA for systems, but someone that does that would probably have a better answer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can download eval versions of Windows server from MS that work for 180 days.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ozu posted:

CompTIA is coming out with a new security cert, which appears to want to compete with the CEH.

I totally want to be a CompTIA certified SAC. Bonus points if there is a BAL specialization.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Just had my first day of ICND1 training.

This is loving awesome.

Weirdo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Everything's all fun and games until wildcard masks anyways.

Triggered.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

beepsandboops posted:

Ugh, failed ICND2 today. Going to circle back around to Odom and go through it again cover to cover and keep reviewing my Anki deck.

I think I need to lab it up more this time too, any recommendations for that? I've tinkered around in GNS3, but would appreciate something more structured.

Sorry to hear this, dude. :(

ICND2 is a huge jump up in difficulty from ICND1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is why my instructor strongly pushed students to do the ccnax instead. You can float your icnd2 questions with easier icnd1 gimmies. Worked for me.

I was strongly considering this. Anyone else have an opinion on it?