Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
This seems like a really dumb question, but I'm having difficulty finding a straight answer: what qualifies as valid ID for PearsonVUE testing centers for CompTIA tests? Their site says:

quote:

"We ask that you arrive at the test center 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. This will give you adequate time to complete the necessary sign-in procedures. Please be prepared to show two (2) valid forms of personal ID; one must be a valid Government issued ID. Both must have your signature, and one of the two must have your photo. The name on the registration must match the names on the IDs exactly."

My driver's license is the primary obviously, but what would constitute another? I have current credit cards, but they don't have my full name, at most just my middle initial; the same holds true for my health insurance and auto insurance cards. What does PearsonVUE / CompTIA consider valid forms of secondary ID? I'm assuming exactly means exactly and I'll need a second ID with my full middle name as well.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright, thanks. Getting ready to take the A+ exams next month and wanted to make sure I had my bases covered.

On that subject, I worked my way through the Sybex study guide for A+ over the last couple months and at the end of each chapter they had a Performance Based question separate from their multiple choice reviews where they ask you to do some procedure. On the exams are these more like essay questions, or are they presented in multiple choice format as well and you need to choose the best or correct methodology (an example from the Sybex book was a question on the process to replace memory modules in a standard desktop PC).

e: Ah, found it. They launch a simulated environment. Interesting.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 16, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Passed both my A+ cert tests this past month (:toot:) and I want to make sure I've got this Continuing Education program understood: I need to pay the annual fee of my highest level certification ($25 for A+) and then I can enter in Continuing Education Units that I earn through taking additional courses, through work, or by achieving a higher level certification or taking a newer version of my existing certification exam?

So, for example, if I want to look at Network+ as a future goal to work towards for 7 months from now, would I have to pay the full 3 year CE cost for the A+, or do I pay one year for the A+ and then upon getting the Network+ Certification my annual fee rises to $49 and starts a new 3 year period effective immediately, which I would then have to pay before entering any new CEUs towards maintaining both certifications?

e: vvv :doh: Of course I missed it in the very last line on that page. Thanks. So as long as I take a higher level certification within 3 years I'll be fine and dandy.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 8, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

A+ will contribute nothing to your resume. Definitely skip it. I'd go straight for CCNA /MCSA depending on which is more interesting.

I'd agree here; I got my foot in the door with hobbyist experience and A+ Certification, but after almost two years working Help Desk the amount of stuff I've learned is way ahead of the A+ Certification. If IT gets any insight into who is being looked at for hiring I can't imagine A+ being ranked higher than a solid year of Help Desk experience.

Working on Network+ myself right now, I'm going to have to make some loving flashcards for transmission length specifications for various cable types if I ever want to remember them.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scholtz posted:

Are A+ and N+ still the best certs to get for someone looking to start in the IT field? Are they worth paying out of pocket for?

Should I even bother job hunting too much before I go for these if I have no directly paid/titled IT experience?

I got my current job, the first one I have had in IT, off hobbyist experience with computers and my A+ cert. Working on my Network+ now to refresh the A+ as well. To what degree the A+ mattered is probably just "it checked a box on the recruitment site to get me the interview".

Having said that, my 2 years of work experience has taught me waaaaaaaaaay more than the A+ cert did. Dealing with VPN tunnels, WSUS, Active Directory, server migrations, good troubleshooting techniques, MDM deployment, etc etc.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Taking Network+ in a few days, anything I should prep for that isn't obvious? I think I've got a decent handle on subnetting and the OSI model, little rusty on common ports that I don't frequently use and connector types as I haven't had to make my own cables or deal with fiber basically ever. Planning on reviewing IPv6 and routing protocols as well.

e: May also refresh myself on cable lengths / transmission speeds if the OP suggestions are still valid for this exam; the site it links to is two exams old by the look of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hot drat! posted:

I'm taking this in a few weeks, so I'm curious about this as well

Managed to pass, none of the question categories were outside what I expected; there were more questions related to fiber connectors and standards than I hoped which was a definite weak point of mine. That could have just been luck of the (presumably) randomized pool of questions. Otherwise the Sybex study guide got me through.