Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Docjowles posted:

Cross posting from the main IT thread because this is a pretty baller deal and seems relevant to cert seekers. O'Reilly is offering 50-60% off most of their ebooks, one day only. "Deal expires May 7, 2014 at 5am PT"

What would be a handy book to pickup for SQL, does anyone know of any decent authors? pretty much a novice with relational DBs and SQL, I know some sql from dicking around, it's fairly easy to understand at a base level, but I'd like a deeper understanding of how relational DBs and SQL work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Was just sent to an ITIL 3-day class w/ cert test, pretty boring although interesting at the same time since my company utilized ITIL to form the basis for our helpdesk and projects that we handle for clients, so it was nice to kind of connect the dots and see the methodology behind it. Also it was free, my company paid for it all up front. Got my score back today and I passed, which is a relief, I was slightly nervous because of some of the odd questions and the fact that if I didn't pass I would have felt like a dumbass. It's my first cert and I actually forgot what a satisfying feeling it is to pass a test/class, this has ignited a fire in me to finish studying for the CCNA.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 14, 2014

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Frag Viper posted:

I just passed ICND1 (100-101) using the Lammle book and CBT Nuggets.

The test itself wasn't that hard and I probably over prepared for it. I was expecting something a little more difficult. I did the crappiest in the security sections because I encountered a few simlets that were asking questions that weren't covered in the book or nuggets.

I didn't encounter a single IPv6 question either which I thought was strange. There were a ton of subnetting questions, and a bunch of other random trouble shoot this connectivity scenario questions/simlets. I'll knock the second part out in a month or so.

Did your work pay for CBT Nuggets or did you :filez: the videos?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Frag Viper posted:

Work did. They're even paying for the testing which is pretty cool.

Too bad we use HP for our switches though.

Nice, my work will reimburse me for the test provided I pass, although I'm 99% sure I can convince my manager to front the cash and, in the event I do fail, not have to pay it back and they'll pay for a second. They won't pay for study materials, although the lammle book is only like $30 or something (I forget if I got it on sale or if that was the actual price), but CBT Nuggest I'll probably :filez: if it's possible.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Do you guys think there's ever a risk of getting too many certifications? Assuming that someone's not using test dumps and such.

Just wondering since my job is willing to pay for basically everything and I'm starting to take full advantage of it... just don't want to go overboard and make my resume look odd for my experience level.

Get all the certs, when you apply fora job, only list relevant ones for that job, i.e. you are applying as a network admin, only list network related certs, you are applying as a sys admin, only list certs related to that etc.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MJP posted:

I'm torn. The boss thinks that SQL would be better for me to learn and know than getting my CCNA.

Would I be better off taking the two exams for the MCITP: DBA on SQL 2008 and then upgrading with two exams to MCSA on SQL 2012, or would I be better off with just the MCSA SQL 2012 which is three exams?

I like the idea of being double certified, but other than backing up DBs and stuff I know nothing about SQL Server.

Does "the boss" mean your wife or your actual boss? If it's the latter it sounds like he's pushing you to do something that's good for HIM not for you. Do what interests you even if it's not in the best interest of the company you work for.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Race Realists posted:

i think the biggest problem for me is, i always forget the super smaller details like FCS and CRC

like i know RADIUS is used primarily for wireless security, but i honestly had no idea it could ALSO be used for VPN

seems rather pointless using a highlighter for this drat book, considering im rereading every single sentence of every single paragraph:suicide:

finals are about to end so maybe i could buy some n10-006 flash cards?

Make flashcards yourself, it will help solidify the information, writing it down and then going over them will hammer the point home.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I study at home usually, sometimes on the job when it's slower (lugging books around is a bitch though so sometimes I don't have them with me).

Studying at home does require focus, generally I will lock myself in a room with as little distractions as possible (no TV no computer etc) and tell my gf to gtfo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

HPL posted:

Just thought of something that seems kind of obvious but may not be: if you've never taken a typing course or don't know how to type quickly, that's something to look into fixing. Command line-heavy exams with sims like Cisco will go much faster if you can type out commands as fast and accurately as possible.

our architect holds a CCNA (soon to be a CCIE) and basically types for a living, and he is a 2 finger hunt and pecker, it drives me insane when we're working together and he's driving. MOTHER FUCKER TYPE FASTER. other than that the dude is loving awesome and has so much knowledge it's loving disgusting.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Moey posted:

You can jump straight to the CCIE without any CCNP certs?

According to him you can, I haven't validated the truth of that statement, but I would believe him, he's not someone to spit BS out, unless something has changed recently, I would assume he's correct.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I learnt the traditional way and still type: a-s-d-f-space and space-j-k-l-;

I type faster and more accurately than 99% of people I've had the displeasure of watching type, the only person that can beat me consistently is my brother, we've done some typing test probably a hundred times and I've only beaten him a handful :(

*edit*

Who would have thought playing games would come in handy, back before all vent, roger wilco, mumble, et al, you had to type poo poo super fast in an FPS or MMO so you didn't lose too much time doing stuff, so I got really good at speed typing.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 19, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

crunk dork posted:

I tried to weasel out of it with WGU but there is literally no way to get my degree except passing this exam I guess, which is broken. So I'm stuck beating my head against a wall. It also satisfies a security requirement for my work that isn't necessary but would be nice to have.

can you wait until the exam is not hosed? I mean it seems like you're throwing money away at this point, which I dunno maybe you're rolling in loving cash, but otherwise it seems stupid to keep banging your head and wallet against it.

I mean I understand you want to graduate, but what if they don't refund you for poo poo being broken? Then you're out hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah our largest client has a guy they hired specifically for wireless solutions. They are a retail chain and need similar but different solutions for a lot of locations because they will have 2 buildings and no decent way to run cables between so they need all sorts of fun poo poo to happen with mesh APs and poo poo.

Funny thing, his CCNA R&S (or maybe CCNA Wireless) was about to expire, he went to take the CCNA Security test (I think, it was security), failed and now he has no certs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah CCIE level cert isn't something you just cram for.

There's the 2 hour written, which is apparently tough, but then you have an 8 hour lab you need to complete.

Essentially these level exams assume YEARS of experience working in whatever setting you're sitting for.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

gently caress, who cares about the CCIE, just go straight to CCAr

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Someone got it at least, internets are hard.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I have never done telnet localhost 123123, does that basically test that something is listening on that port on the server? That's what it seems like.

Yeah, I'm a server dude with some network experience (want to transition to network) so if our architect/network super genie wizard isn't available, people will come to me, because I do things such as: 1) Think critically about everything between point A and B, 2) tracert (and sending said tracerts to netowrk dudes without being prompted), 3) telnet to server on port #blah, 4) not immediately attempt to shift blame and avoid doing work.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ping and tracert are much better troubleshooting tools than telnet. I think he was making a specific example where telnet is supposed to work but doesn't, and checking that backwards traffic works. Most networks should have telnet disabled because it's terribly insecure and SSH is just as easy to configure these days.

I'm trying to specialize in networking but the barriers to entry for most jobs is high (ccnp level and 5 years experience). It's much easier to find mixed server \ network admin roles with active directory, GPO, and DNS thrown in.

Yeah it's similar in the chicago area (dunno where you live, maybe you are in chicago!), that's why I haven't gotten out of my sys admin job, and am working with management to do a 50/50 type roll and work closely with our architect who's freaking amazing.

Also, telnet serves a specific function (in my eyes) that ICMP and tracert can not, when testing out specific ports (i.e. I requested a that the firewall be opened from a source server 22.22.22.22 tcp/any to server 11.11.11.11 on tcp/443) I can test exactly that. Are there cases where this won't work? Yes, but in my environment it does work. My endpoint only needs the telnet client installed and the other endpoint does not need telnet installed at all, the only feed back I need is either the failure to connect on port 443, or the success.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

West suburbs, currently working in naperville so yeah we've got the same market trend where specializing in networking means working for an msp or var. Internal employee postings are almost all cross-training or generalist jobs.

Yeah working for an MSP in burr ridge myself, mostly sys admin type stuff, but I expressed interest in networking and they are happy (as is our architect because he's really the only network guy, there is one other guy but.... he does stupid poo poo and fucks stuff up) and even pushing me to get certs etc, the problem is that we have so much work to do because our team is lean that the last drat thing I want to do with my 2-4 waking hours at home is deal with more IT poo poo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Grimshak posted:

We're going through ITIL training next week. How much bullshit should I expect, and should I bother taking the test at the end to get "certified"?

Are you paying for the test? I mean, if you're going through the training why not take the exam? I am pretty sure they don't expire, add it to your alphabet soup.

v-- I literally slept through 75% of the class (I had an awful 2+ hour drive there and ended up working after going home till late in the evening) and I passed the test no problem after reviewing the material for a few hours.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 11, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is the Lammle CCNA routing and switching study guide the updated version of CCNA general study guide? Wiley is saying that's the most up to date version rather than V7, but I thought the routing and switching exam was different than the general CCNA.

There's no "general" CCNA exam, R&S is the most "general" exam probably though.

I'm somewhat confused by your question. CCNA is a level of exams, there's CCNA R&S, CCNA DC, and uhh there might be more, then there's CCNP level, CCNP R&S, CCNP Wireless, CCNP Data Center etc

This might be slightly outdated, I'm unsure, but gives the general idea.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

loving lol at how highly they think of their certs. Yeah, sure, N+ is harder than CCENT and is on the same level as ccna, whatever you say comptia.

Also, A+ for everybody! It's universally good regardless of focus!

Yeah obviously take stuff with a grain of salt, I mean this is FROM comptia so of course they will skew, but it does give a decent overview of may vendor certs and the progression of those certs within that vendor

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Renegret posted:

I haven't looked at the Network+ curriculum but I imagine it's a good start on moving towards a CCNA. poo poo, you could just slap a "currently studying for CCNA" on your resume under that N+ and prove you know the difference between a switch and a router to land my job.

Net+ is like 1/3-1/2 of the CCENT.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The CCENT is like the Net+ with a bunch of Cisco show commands and static routes thrown in.

this is more true :)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ErIog posted:

I'm interested in taking ICND1 100-105 in a month or two, and I have a couple questions about the Lammle study guide.

Is there any downside to the Google Play e-book version that's only like $25? It's not going to screw me out of accessing the online study tools, right?

Also, it looks like the ICND2 200-105 from Lammle isn't out yet, but will be coming out in September. Are the extra study tools for this series sufficient by themselves or should I also be looking into other lab problem sets somewhere else?

You could probably use the old study materials, I dunno how much has changed, but I would guess the basic core is still there with some added stuff/fluff

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Since other people complain that it wasn't available for them, but personally I was able to use ? during the exam, I can only come to one conclusion. ? probably only works for the command tree associated with the solution.

If you're on the right track you shouldn't run into any problems. But if ? stops working, you may want to rethink your approach and try another tree of commands until it starts working again.

This, everyone I have talked to that has taken the CCNA says that ? is available, but if the commands you are attempting to look up aren't being shown, you're doing something wrong and should re-think your approach.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

CCENT would be time/money better spent, it's basically NET+, minus some filler garbage and adding some more indepth stuff.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

Pretty much everything IT related for a small business with 20ish users and 150 or so remote users. I had set up servers from scratch, Citrix servers, etc. I migrated to Office365 a few years ago, and last year I migrated our main management system software to the cloud. PCs rarely have problems these days and I'm not very challenged by what I do. I basically have to set up users in various sites, reset passwords, etc. It is all easy, but there's nowhere for me to go career wise. I'm looking for something with more advancement opportunities.

What do you LIKE to do? Or, what in IT makes you hate your life the least?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

I like hardware and hands on stuff the most, but I don't really think that'd pay well since it's easy stuff. I really don't hate anything. It's just I feel like a janitor since we are basically fully in the cloud now and the necessity of me keeping our servers up to date and running well is gone.

Yeah hands on poo poo is not going to make you fat stacks of cash, so if you're looking to make good money you'll have to get away from that. If you don't care about making good money, go be a datacenter monkey.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah if you want to jump ship and make all the monies, "specializing" in something is the way to go, figure out what you want to do and then work towards certs for that. Like networking? Go CCNA. Like windows servers? MCS* certs. Linux? RHCSA. You need to decide what you want to do tho.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Hi thread, I'm a 3rd year CS student who has major doubts about his employability prospects and was wondering if studying for some IT certs alongside my normal classes would be worth it as a backup\to round out my skillset? It may be a little too late to shift my degree track but I want some options.

What do you want to do? CS is typically a programming track, is that what you want to do?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I'm not dead set on anything just yet. My interests are in the .net stack, SQL and visual studio. Honestly I'd be happy with just a boring 9-5 working on CRUD applications that most people seem to loathe.

Fake edit: Ah yes, programming is definitely what I want to do, I'm just interested in some safeguards in case that doesn't pan out. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't do exactly what I want, my top priority is to be employable and not starve in a gutter.

Good programmers are always in demand, I'm unsure about the entry level, but I woudl guess if you graduate with CS, you can find an entry level job no problem, where are you located?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

isn't cysco a trucking company that handles food distribution?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

skipdogg posted:

That's Sysco lol

everyone wrong ITT

MF_James
May 8, 2008

sh1fty posted:

Might be a dumb question but here we go...

I'm looking to get into the IT field, more specifically Cyber Security. I've been a TV producer/editor for around 10 years with no real IT experience. Would getting a bunch of certs (A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, etc) help me at least land a job in IT? Would my broadcasting Diploma have any merit? Or is it hopeless without going back to actual school and getting a CS or IT diploma?

There's a security specific thread you might get better info about specifically getting into infosec, it's titled something like "Don't roll your own crypto"

MF_James
May 8, 2008

rafikki posted:

See if you can get the CBT nuggets for the CCNA. I haven't watched their updated material, but the videos for the last version were great.

This, CBT Nuggest guy that does CCNA is good.

The Nards Pan posted:

I like the Lamale book, other people swear by the Odom book but they're both pretty good.

I bought both, I like the way Lammle writes more and from what others have said Odom adds a lot of stuff that you do not need to know (I believe that was the complaint anyway). Odom is just fairly dry compared to Lammle, which is saying something imo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

SopWATh posted:

When you say BIOS, MBR, and GPT...

The Sybex book I have covers some really basic stuff about BIOS, essentially what the acronym is, and how to flash an update. Is there more in the exams?

The chapter on hard drives is similar, MBR vs GPT is covered only briefly, is there more in section 2 in the sections on Windows 7/8/8.1?

I'm not really worried about general knowledge, but I don't know how to memorize stuff like socket type per CPU and what year DDR2 was released.

For dumb rote poo poo like that, I find flashcards work the best, but that's me, everyone learns differently. I typically learn best by doing things, but rote memorization I find flash cards (repetition) works the best.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

no pubes yet sorry posted:

My employer is offering to pay for certs. I don't have any yet and it hasn't really been a problem at all but I figure I may as well get some for free.

I am currently an IT Director for a medium sized business. I have 15 years of experience as sysadmin/network admin, db admin and consulting. Ideally the certs I get would be actually useful day to day and would translate to career progression long run.

I think I could probably pass many certs without studying (couldn't hurt to review as work will pay for courses) but I don't really see any value in getting the entry level certs.

What should I start with? I am leaning towards MS certs initially then networking then security.

What do you want to do? IT director typically means you aren't supporting stuff, perhaps making some high level decisions about architecture type stuff, but not really handling implementation or support.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

skooma512 posted:

This is more general but how do you even sit down and study? Feels like only 10 percent ever sticks and it's really discouraging.

I do well with repetition and practical learning; labs and flash cards are my bread and butter. Also, as I read through chapters I will take my own notes, and usually re-write those notes later into more concise notes, but this falls into the whole repetition thing, kind of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ErIog posted:

Unless your company is telling you to do Security+ and is dangling a pay raise it's a waste. It won't really help you with actual security fundamentals.

BUT WAR CHALKING