Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Actuarial Fables posted:

I've been studying for the ITIL v4 Foundations exam using the official book, planning on taking the exam later this week. Does anyone have any extra study material that they would recommend using? I was given a recommendation for the ITIL v4 Foundations App (google store link) as a source of extra study questions & practice tests, but haven't put down the $8.50 for it yet.

I actually just passed this a few hours ago. I used Jason Dion's study guide, and if you're a student of WGU, there's a copy of a separate study guide floating around in their library.

https://diontraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Study-Guide-ITIL-4-Foundation.pdf

Tips video made by Axelos. Panelists include the author of a study guide (which is in the WGU library), and a guy who helped design the exam. The video tells you about the structure of the exam and pointers, but not any of the content. A key takeaway is that none of the questions are trick questions, so overthinking any question is a sign you're going the wrong way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJpXsug8fZE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Yeah. At some point, you have to be confident that you'll pass because you put the actual work in to study for it (and not just cursory glimpses through the material because it's supposed to be easy or you've worked in the field for X years). For an exam like the ITIL 4 Foundation that doesn't engage in CompTIA word trickery and there being only one definitively correct answer, it doesn't really seem necessary. Do people actually go for the ITIL 4 out of pocket? From what I've seen, it's usually a work or school compensated thing.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Actuarial Fables posted:

Passed the ITILv4 Foundation certification exam today, 37/40. It's upsetting that I can now understand management speak.

Considering the passing score is only 65%, some managers probably don't even understand it.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Awesome job! Do you have any tips for getting to that level of knowledge for A+? I've taken a couple classes and have access to a TestOut book until 2021 thats supposed to prepare me for both parts of the A+ but I find myself completely nervous and doubting myself, and I'm not particularly keen on wasting tons of money for failed attempts at these tests, which is how I feel this will go for me atm. 🤦‍♀️ I'm lowkey going over some subjects in the testout book again but am just too nervous to schedule an exam honestly.

I just passed Core 1 a couple days back with an 802, and I'm taking Core 2 in a couple days. I felt absolutely unprepared and frustrated at the Core 1 material as I studied, until one day I just didn't. It took about a week and a half, but I'm also unemployed now thanks to the pandemic, so I have a lot of time to study. I used Mike Meyer's videos on Linkedin Learning and the uCertify material (both via WGU). I'd probably look at both a book and videos (Professor Messer mentioned above has good free ones for CompTIA exams). There were some things mentioned in one that weren't in the other, and I'd expect that to be the case for most study material out there. Practice exams might just give you the confidence boost you need. And scheduling your exam does set a fire under your rear end to stop slacking off on your studying, if you are. Also, you should do a search for a+ acronyms. There's a PDF with all the relevant ones, and sometimes just knowing what the acronym stands for can help you answer a question.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
So I've completed my WGU degree and am in the process of job hunting. I received a CCSP voucher as an optional certification from WGU that expires in a year. Since I have no actual professional IT experience yet, passing the exam nets me an Associate of ISC2 rather than CCSP. Does anyone have thoughts on the value of that vs one of the associate level AWS certs in the hunt for my first IT job? I've already got the A+, Network+, Security+, CySA+, and Pentest+ as part of school.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Bob Morales posted:

That's a dangerous amount of certs for not having any work experience

Yeah, I totally get it. Being able to understand the theory of things doesn't necessarily equate to being able to do things in practice. The certs were a requirement for WGU though. I've been leaving off the CySA+ and Pentest+ for applications to help desk positions, though I'm also applying to SOC and Jr. security analyst roles.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

unbutthurtable posted:

Honestly, the CCSP is probably a few months of pretty serious study, while the AWS CCP is maybe two weeks of the same.

So, you can do both, but it's probably better to start with the AWS CCP to have something to show for your effort sooner rather than later.

But also that CCSP voucher is probably worth like $750 or so right? I wouldn't sleep on that one and let it expire.

Coincidentally I did the CISSP early this year, then followed it with the intro cert for all three major public clouds, and after finishing the first of those (GCP ACE), the other two were just learning new names for services plus a couple minor gotchas.

Looks like it's $600. I'm definitely not gonna let it expire. I was just wondering the immediate value of having Associate of ISC2 on a resume vs something else. I actually also already have the AWS CCP. I was looking at Solutions Architect or SysOps Admin.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 28, 2021

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

star eater posted:

whoops! totally spaced saying so. Just basic stuff, CompTIA A+ to get started I figure, why not?

Professor Messer is completely free on Youtube and goes over most of the CompTIA certs. He's actually really good, but kinda on the dry side.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

star eater posted:

Sick. Watching his study group for may 2021 at 1.5x speed is tolerable.

Oh, I can't vouch for the study groups since I never used any of them. The training courses are more focused rather than jumping around: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnlGHY8ObL8DiyP3AIu9vd3K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Professor Messer on YouTube is free.